Options

Long held misconceptions

• Options
    EdilithEdilith Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I used to think that scaffolding on a building was holding the wall up :|

And I too thought that cashback was free money!

Edilith on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I used to think that if you stopped pushing a lawn mower forward, the spinning blade would go lower and lower so that it could keep cutting the grass underneath it, and eventually start tearing up the soil. I was afraid that if I interrupted my dad while he was mowing, he would blame me for giant holes in the yard.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i thought whenever a cashier asked 'cash back?' it was free money, and I was boggled that mom would not be accepting free money so often!

I thought cheques were equivalent to printing money right there on the spot. I still remember being boggled at why my parents paid with anything other than cheques.

area on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Apparently till I was about 4 I believed that all buses went to the same place, which was apparently somewhere nice, as I was always trying to get onto these buses. Apparently it was quite a chore for the parents

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What does reading at a certain grade level mean that would result in a misconception? We don't use that system where I am from.

cherv1 on
  • Options
    Pipe DreamerPipe Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My parents were damn good at keeping up the tooth fairy thing. So good that I kinda-sorta believed it up until I was 9 or so, when I had a tooth out and decided to put it under the pillow without telling anybody.

Also, it wasn't until I took my linguistics 101 class that I realized the uvula was not, in fact, the tonsils. I had thought that people who had their tonsils out just didn't have that funny-looking thing hanging down in their mouths anymore.

Pipe Dreamer on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Cervetus wrote: »
    For many years I thought sexism and racism were archaic and no longer practiced except by the occasional loon on Jerry Springer or so.
    I was 6 before I realized that the black family that went to our church looked different than anyone else in town.
    When I was young, I thought black people just had really good tans.

A guy a know once entered an elevator with his mother as a young child and a black man was in the elevator. He informed the man, "You're dirty."
    Aioua wrote: »
    darthmix wrote: »
    Okay, one that's actually embarassing: for the longest time I had it in my head that New York City was to the north of Boston. I have no idea why I thought that, except that I've lived in California my whole life. I didn't learn the truth until I actually visited both cities in my late teens. And somehow, in the subconscious part of my brain that stores my mental map of the United States, I still think New York is north of Boston.

...checks map. DAMMIT!

I've been to New York. That's kinda surreal.

Okay, so I read this post of yours and my first thought was "New York City is north of Boston." And then I went to Google maps and was like "Well, fuck me sideways."
    Wow I wonder how that happened.
    For some reason, 'Boston, Maryland' sounds like a real place.

I'm guessing people are mixing up Boston and Baltimore? It's not like anyone cares about Baltimore.

When I was a kid I thought "kamikaze" was pronounced "kamakikikaze". My younger sister seemed very impressed that I could figure something like that out.

Scooter on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh shit. Boston is north of New York.

Quid on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How many of you people are there?

Elendil on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Elendil wrote: »

<-- Another one for the pile.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    cherv1 wrote: »
    What does reading at a certain grade level mean that would result in a misconception? We don't use that system where I am from.

Probably the misconception that "12th grade reading level" is the kind of stuff that 12th graders read. Most 12th graders, if they read stuff at all, probably go for 4-6th grade.

Also, seriously, wtf? Boston is, like, the city we learn about in American History!

Scooter on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    When I was little, I always thought New York was up around where Maine is. Why? I don't know, but it wasn't until my parents got me a copy of 'Game of the States' that I got that sorted out.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Cyd CycloneCyd Cyclone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Duki wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    I have still have trouble remembering if some people I've met were black or not.

I was raised not to pay attention to race, I guess.

Or you were just raised to not pay attention. Oh!

Is the Terry Jones miniseries about Knights or Ninjas? Because if its about Knights I'm interested, otherwise, not so much.

He's got one about the Crusades. Actually quite good.

Fuck, remember the thing about one battalion of crusaders or whatever that was lead by a donkey?

Shit fucking slew me.

I particularly liked the how he wore armour and rode into modern villages on a donkey, until the point when the Crusaders had to eat their donkeys, and then he just walked.

Cyd Cyclone on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    Also, seriously, wtf? Boston is, like, the city we learn about in American History!
    Man I don't even know

If nothing else, Boston's known for usually having several feet of snow dumped on it during winter

You think it'd be a clue

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    and so is New York

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There's a guy working at the cafe in the building where I work who is convinced that Tim Hortons coffee has nicotine in it. Although I'm not sure if this counts as a misconception or just plain stupidity..

BladeX on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Duki wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    I have still have trouble remembering if some people I've met were black or not.

I was raised not to pay attention to race, I guess.

Or you were just raised to not pay attention. Oh!

Is the Terry Jones miniseries about Knights or Ninjas? Because if its about Knights I'm interested, otherwise, not so much.

He's got one about the Crusades. Actually quite good.

Fuck, remember the thing about one battalion of crusaders or whatever that was lead by a donkey?

Shit fucking slew me.

I particularly liked the how he wore armour and rode into modern villages on a donkey, until the point when the Crusaders had to eat their donkeys, and then he just walked.

I like that show a lot. If you haven't watched the one on "the peasant" you should

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

<-- Another one for the pile.
    And another.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Another here . I think maybe it's because New York State borders Canada, whereas Massachusetts does not. or something. Then again I have been pretty bad at more detailed geography. I can point out the states on a map easily enough, but where cities are in relation to each other on a map can be pretty dicey.

I grew up in the sacramento area, and I could tell how to get from citrus heights to fair oaks or orangevale or folsom or wherever via driving, but I look at a map of the area during the weather report or something and its like, wtf?

Now that I am living in San Diego I have this giant body of water to tell me HERE BE WEST MORON! Which helps, and the freeways are like, I-5 North to Los Angeles (which I knew without the freeway sign thank you) or I-8 east to El Cajon. Still I couldn't tell you where most of areas like lakeside and santee are direction wise are though. Also I have no idea how the coastal cities of California are laid out between San Francisco and LA, too much san this and santa that.

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wait, Boston is north of new york? o_O

Then again, geography has always been a weak point for me.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i always mix up NH and VT
    and i've lived in both of those states

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tarantio wrote: »
    When I was little, we were going to my grandma's house, and I asked my parents what there would be to eat there, they would answer "fried snake lips."

There would also always be shrimp at my grandma's house.

I don't think I ever thought that they were literally fried snake lips, but I did think that's what shrimp were called.

Also, I was raised catholic. My parents were never particularly strict about it, but we went to church regularly, and I sang in the choir. I was in middle school before I realized there were different sects of christianity. I just kinda thought the churches had different names.

My older brother has a pretty good one- he called lawn mowers mawn lowers. He had never heard of lawns, mowers, or mawns, but he knew what lower was. So, obviously, a mawn lower is what lowers the mawn.

I found this out in about 3rd grade... in an embarrassing way.

Actually, until that point, I believed that Catholic = Christian, and everyone else was just... I don't know, something else, I guess... I don't think I even grasped what the definition of Christian really was.

Keep in mind, I lived in a small town, with one church per denomination. You knew all of the other kids of your religion, because there were only about 5-10 at any given grade level.

Anyway, I was in the school library with a bunch of kids, and I don't recall the whole lead-up, but a couple of them (not-catholic) said something about being Christian and I (somewhat combatively) piped up with "uh-uh... I know you're not, (other kid) and I would know, you don't go to our church.

That got me some odd looks.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nerissa wrote: »
    Actually, until that point, I believed that Catholic = Christian

"The catholic and apostolic church" had me, who was pretty sure we were not Catholics, confused me for many years.

area on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Before I came to the United States, I thought the White House and Congress Building were the same building (opposite faces).

It probably had to do with the fact that news reports of press conferences showed that blue emblems of both, and they looked very similar.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I think that's actually a big part of it. Everyone knows that New York is to the north, while Boston comes up so often that we automatically assume that it's located more centerish. For some reason, our brains have trouble processing the existance of all of those little states to the far northeast, especially now that the geographic center of the country has been shifted so far to the south.

jothki on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ok, all you people...I don't think California is on top of Oregon, so it can't be a coastal thing.

Srsly. Boston gets the feet of snow, most of New York does as well but not usually as bad as Boston.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wow, now I feel a lot better about this.
    jothki wrote: »

I think that's actually a big part of it. Everyone knows that New York is to the north, while Boston comes up so often that we automatically assume that it's located more centerish. For some reason, our brains have trouble processing the existance of all of those little states to the far northeast, especially now that the geographic center of the country has been shifted so far to the south.
    Yeah, I think that's it exactly. Early on I got the impression that New York was in the northeast corner of the country, and once that idea was established everything else on the east coast - big cities, anyway - got pushed south of it in my mind.

It was just weird because I'd been watching movies and TV shows about these places all my life, but the issue of geography never came up in a way that challenged my misconception.

darthmix on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ok, all you people...I don't think California is on top of Oregon, so it can't be a coastal thing.

Srsly. Boston gets the feet of snow, most of New York does as well but not usually as bad as Boston.

I think Omaha is farther north than New York.

Boston needs to stop whining about the snow.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Before I came to the United States, I thought the White House and Congress Building were the same building (opposite faces).

It probably had to do with the fact that news reports of press conferences showed that blue emblems of both, and they looked very similar.

The whole Washington, Seattle and Washington D.C. concept had me very confused as a child. I decided they must have wanted to keep the actual location a secret, and always imagined that the White House and other famous government structures were kept tucked away somewhere in the middle.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You people all hurt my brain.

106united-states-map.gif

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I'm from Arkansas and I moved to live in Massachusetts for 2 years to go to school.

I kid you not I swear their kids in school must have had maps that go from an accurate map of New England, New Jersey labeled as the "Deep South", and then the area where Arkansas should be just says "HERE BE DRAGONS".

Of course our maps just have the north half of the country labeled as "yankee-land" with two dots for New York and Chicago.

Oh not sure if anyone said this (hopefully someone did) the daddy long-legs spider is not a spider. It's related to the mite.

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

I think Omaha is farther north than New York.

Boston needs to stop whining about the snow.

Part of Nebraska is higher than New York City, yes. Maybe Omaha is near the north of Nebraska. But New York is a big state. And Nebraska is in the Midwest, and is landlocked so their winters are probably a lot harsher.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Actually I looked at it, Omaha is farther north than New York (city).

So tl;dr Boston needs to cry some more.

Ironic how you post a map of the US and then you don't even know where Omaha is. I think that kind of answers the question: if you don't live there, you don't get it pounded into your brain through saturation because their location relative to each other has zero effect on anyone not living on the east coast.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Coming from the tropics, I used to believe that snow (as yet unseen) was a magical, wonderful event, in which citizens from every blanketed nation would close thier schools, string up lights and celebrate with games and good cheer.

The 'oh god oh god oh god, my penis has frozen inside me' experience with which I was presented fell somewhat short of these expectations.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I know where Nebraska is, and it's general orientation to other states.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Another little kid sex misconception!

I thought it involved a elaborate dance thing while touching each other but to avoid getting pregnant don't let the penis and vagina touch.

emot-pseudo.gif

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    sligmastasligmasta Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Cervetus wrote: »
    When I was young, I thought black people just had really good tans.

i am 22, well read, and believe myself to be fairly intelegent.

up until last year i didnt know black people could get sun burns

i had not had any close black friends until then, and i always equated sun burns with a change in skin color, and thought since their skin already was that dark the sun wouldnt affect it

as you may be able to guess, i was raised in predominantly white neighborhoods, and didnt have any black friends, which lead to stupid, senseless, though not derogitory, racism

sligmasta on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I joke about black folk not getting tans, but I don't think I even ever thought about sun burns. I guess I figured the dark pigmentation would protect them.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pata wrote: »

I thought it involved a elaborate dance thing while touching each other but to avoid getting pregnant don't let the penis and vagina touch.

emot-pseudo.gif

Well, you were pretty much right.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Pata wrote: »

emot-pseudo.gif

Well, you were pretty much right.

I remember seeing one of those health videos in school and they used dancing as a metaphor for sex. Their illustration was silhouettes of a naked man and woman doing ballet, and the only thing I remember was a friend of mine shouting out "I think they're doing it wrong."

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png