As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

i am so fuckin high i think i'll maek poast

2»

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fair enough, but I'm getting the feeling that it is fine to be proud of being a beer enthusiast but being proud of smoking pot (divorced from wearing hippie gear and getting high in front of the capitol building) is not.

Casual Eddy on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Beer snobbery also takes into account the production of the beer, the pedigree of the beer, the rareness of the beer etc. Being a pot snob would basically be the same as being a gardening snob.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited April 2009
    Beer snobbery also takes into account the production of the beer, the pedigree of the beer, the rareness of the beer etc. Being a pot snob would basically be the same as being a gardening snob.

I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here since I don't give a shit about how what I smoke was grown. However people do care about what they smoke, and everything you pointed out about beer which is important could be viewed as important about pot as well. I have heard people care very much about the certain strain, its rareness, how it was grown, where it was grown, how long ago and how it was harvested, how it was stored, how long its been stored, etc.

it seems like an artificial distinction to me

Casual Eddy on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here since I don't give a shit about how what I smoke was grown. However people do care about what they smoke, and everything you pointed out about beer which is important could be viewed as important about pot as well. I have heard people care very much about the certain strain, its rareness, how it was grown, where it was grown, how long ago and how it was harvested, how it was stored, how long its been stored, etc.

Those people usually aren't the ones in the tie-dyed potleaf shirt and Birkenstocks though.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I think it's less an issue of quality of product vs. the way its proponents portray themselves, much to most other people's disdain. You want to advocate pot smoking as acceptable culture to the masses, put on a fucking suit for the ten minutes you have their attention. Otherwise you just look like an immature idiot.

It is similar to the arguments surrounding gay pride rallies. An overweight guy wants to dress up as a pretty pink fairy, be my guest, but I recommend not doing so at a gay pride/gay rights rally because you are trying to appeal to people who have a rather bland and uniform sense of what is "normal." Whether or not they are right in their prejudice isn't the issue, we can work on that later, but the issue now is winning their support and you don't do it by flaunting non-conformity. Once you've gotten their support, go wild.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I care very much about the quality of what I use.

Not to the point where I would turn away something (unless the plant was plagued, something serious).

Where and how it was grown can be very important. A poor plant makes for poor enjoyment of the product, just like beer, or any other thing made (or in this case, harvested) from a plant.

Endomatic on
    edited April 2009
    I think we've agreed that wearing a jamacian hat and smelling awful are not good ways for a pot smoker to advance his agenda

However I don't actually know any pot smokers like that, and I know a lot of pot smokers. Even if you don't dress the part why is it acceptable to say something like (in joking) god made beer because he wants to be happy and he loves us, but similar enthusiam with about pot seems to be ridiculed even if the person is wearing a button up and has a job.

Casual Eddy on
    edited April 2009
    People in the alcohol thread who talk about getting shitfaced (myself included) don't get a second look - but people who say '420 erryday' are mocked for most of most of this thread. And these theoretical people who wear pot gear who don't seem to posting here are also mocked. What's the difference, exactly?

Casual Eddy on
  • darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I remember hearing lots of explanations for the 420=marijuana connection. Like, that there were supposedly 420 chemicals in marijuana, and that 420 was the police code for smoking pot. From this I drew the inevitable conclusion that there are exactly 187 chemicals in murder.

I admit to having gone through a brief drug phase in my youth. What I mostly remember is that, as you lay out the schedule of your day, 4:20 - AM or PM - is not a good time to smoke pot.

darthmix on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Fair enough, but I'm getting the feeling that it is fine to be proud of being a beer enthusiast but being proud of smoking pot (divorced from wearing hippie gear and getting high in front of the capitol building) is not.

Right, that's what the first sentence of my post was about. People who don't know better and refuse to learn tend to assume that anyone they know who is even remotely intelligent would never touch drugs because drugs are bad mmm-kay?.

ViolentChemistry on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If I saw someone doing a presentation on the legalization of pot in a professional manner I would pay attention, has this ever been the case?

Much the way I wouldn't pay attention to a sloshed drunk trying to get me to try a new beer. But if the brewer walked out sober and shook my hand and asked me to try a new brew he had just finished bottling I would be all over it.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    edited April 2009
    I think we've agreed that wearing a jamacian hat and smelling awful are not good ways for a pot smoker to advance his agenda

However I don't actually know any pot smokers like that, and I know a lot of pot smokers. Even if you don't dress the part why is it acceptable to say something like (in joking) god made beer because he wants to be happy and he loves us, but similar enthusiam with about pot seems to be ridiculed even if the person is wearing a button up and has a job.

You are going against years of cultural stigma of what a "pot smoker" is. Most people think of the term "pot head" when the term "pot smoker" is used, and that's a stigma that its advocates need to overcome, because for every ten people who don't act like idiots, there is one guy with terrible dreadlocks, bad grooming habits, and calling pot the greatest thing mother nature ever invented, and that guy will get air time whereas the other ten will be left out in the cold.

DoctorArch on
    edited April 2009
    People in the alcohol thread who talk about getting shitfaced (myself included) don't get a second look - but people who say '420 erryday' are mocked for most of most of this thread. And these theoretical people who wear pot gear who don't seem to posting here are also mocked. What's the difference, exactly?

I will be honest Eddy, and I find people getting shitfaced to be equally ridiculous, so I'm not being hypocritical.

DoctorArch on
    edited April 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    If I saw someone doing a presentation on the legalization of pot in a professional manner I would pay attention, has this ever been the case?

I don't think you've been paying attention

the prison population issue, the billions spent fighting and arresting non violent drug offenders, the potential to knock wind out of the cartels sails, the medical issue... and now the economic issue as well

however it's generally been a divisive public issue, and even legitimate arguers for the cause have been tinged with 'this guy just wants to get high I bet' ... like a 19 year old arguing for an 18 year old drinking age

Casual Eddy on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009
    Perhaps it is the time of year that has me in the spirit...or perhaps it is the fact that I'm awake on my friend's couch at 5am and can't find anything better to do. Whatever the reason, I find my mind wandering, curiosity piqued. Piqued by what you ask? Marijuana. Piqued by all things pot.

As I type this I'm realizing that I don't have a particular direction in mind for this discussion to go. I fully expect the typical "legalize it" debates to emerge, but at the same time I want this to be more. Love it/hate it? Bongs, bowls, blunts? Questions waiting to be answered, unless this is horribly illegal or against the rules...but what with G4 running their special once again, this seems like a logical progression. So, I dunno...go forth and discuss!

Even high as a goddamned mountain goat, you should realize that this is a fuck-awful OP.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.