As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 Questions

2»

• Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Scrublet wrote: »
    JAEF wrote: »
    Scrublet wrote: »
    If you want the BC PS3 because you don't want an extra PS2 lying around, I can respect that. I am horribly anal retentive. But don't do it for the upscaling...what a waste of time.
    You don't do it for the upscaling, you do it for the sweet sweet smoothing and to play SotC the way it was meant to be played.

Smoothing on the super-nice HW 60GB PS3s, or do all PS3s do this?

All PS3's do upscaling and play PS1 games.

The issue with upscaling is dependent upon the game. Most will look better upscaled. If the game is 480p capable it will look best in 480p, meaning not upscaled.

I bought the NA 60gig at launch because I wanted blu-ray and I didn't want to have a PS2 plugged in as well. The PS3's that can play PS2 games can play Team ICO's SOC better than the PS2. PS2 games that had online play can now be played online again, if you can find anyone else playing them. Since the PS3 will work as a host server.

I ended up picking up a PS3, and it's certainly big and shiny. I do have a new question, though.

Is there a way to connect a controller without the mini-USB cord? I had it out, and I swear to god a gremlin must have taken that bastard, because I can't find it anywhere. I'd prefer to not go out and buy a new one.

No. The only options is to buy either a USB extension cable or a longer mini USB cable.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    One thing I would recommend if you're thinking about buying a cable is to grab the Energizer charging station. It costs $30, and I love mine. The only negative thing I can say about it is that if you're one of those people that hates any lights on their A/V gear, this stand will piss you off. I definitely am a fan.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009
    Make sure if you buy a new mini-USB cable, you don't buy the Sony one. It's something like $20-30. You can grab a 10' off Monoprice for maybe $5.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Make sure if you buy a new mini-USB cable, you don't buy the Sony one. It's something like $20-30. You can grab a 10' off Monoprice for maybe $5.

I think I got a 15' off of there for $1.50

Evander on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ok, I have a question. I've been wanting to use my playstation as a media center to watch some videos I have on my computer on my projector. Thing is, I really can't get my playstation to recognize any video files other than a couple that came with Vista. How do you guys do it, or can you?

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    To add to the whole PS2 + PS3, I think it's worth getting a BC PS3. Yes, you can get a PS2 for $100 new, or cheaper for a nice used system. But then you have to factor in the cost of a memory card, another controller if you want to play any multiplayer games, and more controllers for the PS3 if you have multiplayer games there. Plus nice component cables. Lack of any upscaling/smoothing. Dealing with more wires, more space taken up.

So, yes, a new PS2 is $100 (cheaper used). To me, though, the perceived value of all that included in the PS3 is more than that $100.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    kpeezykpeezy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ok, I have a question. I've been wanting to use my playstation as a media center to watch some videos I have on my computer on my projector. Thing is, I really can't get my playstation to recognize any video files other than a couple that came with Vista. How do you guys do it, or can you?

Read up on PS3 Media Server. Best thing you'll ever use.

kpeezy on
    me itt
    SSBB: 5370-1223-4258
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    All the media center software packs I've tried seem to shit pauses and hiccups on my PS3 when I actually try to stream video. This may or may not have anything to do with the two walls and 30 feet inbetween my router and PS3..

JAEF on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    All the media center software packs I've tried seem to shit pauses and hiccups on my PS3 when I actually try to stream video. This may or may not have anything to do with the two walls and 30 feet inbetween my router and PS3..

If you're doing this wireless and trying to stream anything with a pretty high quality rate, it most likely will. Friends of mine complain all the time about trying to wirelessly stream to the PS3. I just drilled a hole in the floor/ceiling and ran a cat 5 cable from the router to the PS3. Understandably, this is not an option for everyone.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I assume you've increased the buffer to more than you think you need, capped the bitrate to less than you think you should be able to handle, and set the transcoding settings to a wider range than necessary?

I had problems with pauses and hiccups until I just gave up and admitted that real world performance is simply much less than the theoretical best.

What you CAN do if wireless is unreliable is stream through a homeplug adaptor. They bridge your network through your powerlines at speeds up to 200 mpbs (depending on make and model) I used homeplug with XBMC on my oXbox since it didn't have wireless - it worked beautifully.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I just did a little tweaking and streamed an HD movie with only had 1 hiccupthing. I still get occasional problems though and fast forwarding stinks. I might try running a cable.

kpeezy on
    me itt
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I use TVersity for both my PS3 and my Xbox 360 (simplifies things, and I've been using it for a while).

With the exception of having to restart media sharing to watch video on occasion, it works very well. A few seconds of buffering before each video, but zero hicupping/buffering during the rest of it. Of course, my wireless network is pretty small.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Have you tried PS3 Media Center? If you don't have any problems with files types not working then I guess it doesn't matter but PS3 Media Center supports more file types and the PC interface doesn't suck dick.

kpeezy on
    me itt
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    kpeezy wrote: »
    Have you tried PS3 Media Center? If you don't have any problems with files types not working then I guess it doesn't matter but PS3 Media Center supports more file types and the PC interface doesn't suck dick.

Well, I really don't have any trouble with the TVersity interface (after the first installation, pretty much the only two keys I hit are 'refresh library' and 'restart sharing').

I haven't run into any files in TVersity I can't play (then again, I almost only play MKVs and AVI files). I suppose it's mostly inertia--I don't bother switching to Windows Media Center either. There's nothing on PS3 Media Center I need right now.

I've heard PS3 Media Center also works on the Xbox 360, but seeing how TVersity seems to work fine on both of them...*shrug* Maybe if TVersity craps out one day?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I can stream TV shows just fine, but anything movie-length and it just won't do.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bolthorn wrote: »

If you're doing this wireless and trying to stream anything with a pretty high quality rate, it most likely will. Friends of mine complain all the time about trying to wirelessly stream to the PS3. I just drilled a hole in the floor/ceiling and ran a cat 5 cable from the router to the PS3. Understandably, this is not an option for everyone.
    Running cable wouldn't be worth it due to the positioning. I have Netflix anyway for all my HD movie needs, so it's not a huge deal but I would love to get it working eventually. At some point I figure I'll just get a ridiculous TV for the room the computer is in and drag the PS3 in there. Maybe when those sweet 120hz 40inch+ TVs drop below $1000.

Even medium quality stuff that I let buffer fully on the computer gets chopped up, so it's the waiting game for me.
    I assume you've increased the buffer to more than you think you need, capped the bitrate to less than you think you should be able to handle, and set the transcoding settings to a wider range than necessary?
    Yeah.

Just froogled the homeplug deal, that is way more than I am willing to spend to not have a dangly ethernet cord around.

JAEF on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've been using ps3mediaserver, and so far, it's been able to let the PS3 play everything under the sun.

If there's a video that was encoded with a codec that the PS3 can't play, PS3mediaserver will just make the server computer it's running on transcode it and send the video out as huge MPEG-2 stream.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ok ok, little issue. When I steam stuff to my PS3 (about 40 minutes each episode) the audio isn't synced while it definitely is on my PC. Any ideas as what format to have my files as or special settings?

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    In light of the rising popularity of MKVs (stupid MKVs), I've made the jump from TVersity to PS3 Media Server (since it also works on the Xbox 360, which is what I stream my video to anyway, since I have a remote).

I prefer the TVersity GUI considerably. For lack of better words, PS3 Media Server's, well, sucks. Definitely less user friendly. That being said, it's still fairly straightforward. I just wish it wasn't such a CPU cycle hog by comparison. But, it does MKVs just fine.

Synthesis on