As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Better Off Ted - Final 2 Episodes cancelled due to NBA finals. Tough luck. :)

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    As a Green Bay Packer fan, I approved of this episode. :D

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    You better run, I'm gonna mess you up

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This show ran with its premise so very, very well.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    has there been any word on whether ABC is gonna keep ted going?

cause this show is magnaflorious

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    From what I read, we find out the show's fate on the 18th.

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    has there been any word on whether ABC is gonna keep ted going?

cause this show is magnaflorious

If it's not renewed then ABC was just being mean by flaunting it as the "'Season' finale"

Khavall on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This article from Variety (which is mostly about Scrubs possibly getting renewed) is bizarrely optimistic about its chances:
    Talks continue to heat up over the possibility of "Scrubs" returning for a ninth season next fall.

As noted last week (Daily Variety, April 23), ABC has been in talks with the show's producers about ways to lower the license fee on "Scrubs," and that star Zach Braff is now believed to be interested in returning for at least a portion of the episodes.

Insiders at the net said that ABC's sales team remains high on the show, which they said remains popular with advertisers because of its upscale demographics. "Scrubs" hasn't been a ratings hit on ABC, but it's performed decently enough -- and the Alphabet doesn't have many half-hours in its arsenal.

Exec producer Bill Lawrence would continue with "Scrubs" as well, although his ABC pilot laffer "Cougar Town," starring Courteney Cox, is also said to be a real contender for next season. But given the longevity of "Scrubs," there's no shortage of producers there who could easily take over more responsibilities as Lawrence focused on getting "Cougar Town" off the ground (should it be picked up too).

As for the cast, key players John C. McGinley, Donald Faison and Neil Flynn have all landed pilots this spring -- and no thesps are signed for "Scrubs" beyond this year. But some of those actors are likely to return, as least on a recurring basis, should "Scrubs" be back.

Plus the show introduced a new horde of interns this year, who have also starred in a series of webisodes at ABC.com ("Scrubs: Interns"). Those actors include Sonal Shah, Eliza Coupe, Betsy Beutler and Todd Bosley (another new intern was played by Aziz Ansari, who now stars on "Parks and Recreation").

Among ABC's other comedies, "Better off Ted" appears to be a real candidate for renewal as well, thanks to decent buzz -- and the fact that it's not produced by ABC Studios (as the network is looking to spread the financial risk beyond the Disney borders).

Like "Scrubs," the decision on "Ted" may come down to cost -- and how low 20th Century Fox TV is willing to go for a renewal.

Also still in play on the laffer side: "Samantha Who."

Apr. 27, 2009

Given the ratings, I'm not overly confident about it coming back personally, but there at least seems to be some hope. Looking at its IMDB/Wikipedia pages, there appears to be 6 more episodes that were made after this supposed "season finale", so at the very least, I hope we see those.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I hope it comes back. If only for a last second season. 7 episodes isn't enough. I need some more.

Though I'm not looking forward to the extremely high priced season 1 DVD/Blu-Ray's they'll probably release. Like Grey's Anatomy and The Office's first seasons. They had 6-9 episodes each and cost $20. I'd rather they wait until the end of season 2 and sell the 1st and 2nd seasons as one box set.

$20 isn't worth it unless they pack it with special features, like commentaries and making of's and deleted scenes and outtakes. All of which I fully expect, so don't let me down!

Jasoco on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2009
    So if they made 6 more episodes, why would they refuse to show them unless the show's been canceled? I don't get that.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It doesn't say they were made. It just says they are planned for the future. There is nothing on that page saying that the episodes were created and in the can. Just that they had ideas for them.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2009
    Ah. If they haven't been made, that makes sense.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    KiwiKiwi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I went back and watched an interview with Portia de Rossi from when BoT just started. No, apparently they did make all 13 episodes.

They even showed a clip of episode 12 or 13. (So, spoilers, obviously.)
    Hey look, they're married!

They start talking about it ~ 6:35.

Now I'm sad and confused.

Kiwi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Wait...

I didn't even know Portia was gay...

Also, I haven't watched Ellen in a long time. Is it in HD yet?

Also, now I'm confused and sad too. Now I want to know where the fuck the episodes are too! I know it's the end of the TV season, but still, they couldn't squeeze 6 more weeks in? WTF?

Also, I'm sad that they didn't get GOB to play the magician.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Jasoco wrote: »
    Wait...

Also, I haven't watched Ellen in a long time. Is it in HD yet?

Also, now I'm confused and sad too. Now I want to know where the fuck the episodes are too! I know it's the end of the TV season, but still, they couldn't squeeze 6 more weeks in? WTF?

Also, I'm sad that they didn't get GOB to play the magician.

I'm not sure about it being in HD; I usually watch it online and my tiny screen can't tell the difference.

Holy crap, my head would've exploded if they got Will Arnet to play the magician. I also could've settled with Ben Stiller.

Kiwi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    There could be a bright side: in determining whether or not to bring the show back for, say, a new 13 episode season, they'd see that 6 episodes are already in the can, and they'd only need to pay for 7 more, thus making than show less costly to bring back the something else that required a full season of production. It's not unheard of: episodes of shows do get held over from the end of last year's production season to the start of a new season (more so in animation, though). Obviously, I'm trying to be optimistic here...

At the very least, I think there's enough of a cult following to see a DVD release of all 13 episodes, even if they never get shown on TV.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Just checked the ABC internal stuff site.

They're going to announce everything May 19th.

So I checked the summer schedule (it only goes into the 1st couple weeks of June), and um, no Better Off Ted...but

Starting May 30th catch Pushing Dasies Saturday nights? Followed by Eli Stone? If they're doing that, the rest of the episodes of Ted will be shown no matter what, eventually, I'd assume.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's gotta be weird interviewing your own wife. That first bit seemed rather awkward

VoodooV on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Jasoco wrote: »
    Wait...

Yeah. It was weird to find out. And then to find out that she's married to Ellen was weirder.

You never know where you'll find love...

And I hope this show keeps going. At least air the rest of the episodes on a decent timeslot and see what it does, then decide.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Better Off Ted did horribly on Tuesday. Like, really, really bad. Numbers that make NBC laugh. So, the odds of it coming back are infinitesimally small.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Better Off Ted did horribly on Tuesday. Like, really, really bad. Numbers that make NBC laugh. So, the odds of it coming back are infinitesimally small.

What? Dammit, that's not supposed to count. It was on a different night with little promotion. D:

Stupid Obama cancelling my shows.

Kiwi on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Obama got BoT cancelled? IMPEACH THE BASTARD.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Obama got BoT cancelled? IMPEACH THE BASTARD.

Yeah, and I'm also blaming him for cancelling Pushing Daisies.

I can't remember why. But that won't stop me from holding a grudge.

Kiwi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    No, Bush got Pushing Daisies cancelled.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Man how the fuck does network executive logic work.

"We're not getting the views we want, because we're not counting online views because we're morons.

Let's put the finale on a different night than normal, not talk about it 'till like 20 minutes before it's about to start, and continue to not look at online views even though those'll be up because of our retarded scheduling.

Gee why didn't it do well? CANCEL IT"

Khavall on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Khavall wrote: »

"We're not getting the views we want, because we're not counting online views because we're morons.

Let's put the finale on a different night than normal, not talk about it 'till like 20 minutes before it's about to start, and continue to not look at online views even though those'll be up because of our retarded scheduling.

Remember, we're talking about the same kind of people who green lit Two and a Half Men, and season 27 of Survivor.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Remember, we're talking about the same kind of people who green lit Two and a Half Men, and season 27 of Survivor.

The irony of this statement is that Two and a Half Men gets great ratings. It's also quite saddening.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Drakeon wrote: »

The irony of this statement is that Two and a Half Men gets great ratings. It's also quite saddening.

It would've been even worse if I'd used CSI Miami as the example.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The decision to cancel BoT will not have anything to do with Tuesdays ratings. They didn't HELP, but ABC isn't that dumb to base it off that. My prediction is it will be in limbo even after the announcements May 19 - they have half a season left in the can as is, so there's no rush to get any more. It will be on in the fall, and they'll figure it out then.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    The decision to cancel BoT will not have anything to do with Tuesdays ratings. They didn't HELP, but ABC isn't that dumb to base it off that. My prediction is it will be in limbo even after the announcements May 19 - they have half a season left in the can as is, so there's no rush to get any more. It will be on in the fall, and they'll figure it out then.

I disagree. It's ratings have NEVER put it in the renew category. For ABC, it's gotten pretty sucktastic ratings. If the show is saved, it will ONLY be because someone at the network goes out of their way to save it for their own reasons. Nothing in the ratings would point to it being saved, not by a long shot.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Things are looking really good for Ted. Expect it to be back.

Also, from Zap2It.com
    "Scrubs'" timeslot mate at ABC, "Better Off Ted," has also seen its prospects brighten thanks to critical support and a vocal if not especially big fan base.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Things are looking really good for Ted. Expect it to be back.

Also, from Zap2It.com
    "Scrubs'" timeslot mate at ABC, "Better Off Ted," has also seen its prospects brighten thanks to critical support and a vocal if not especially big fan base.

I hope you're right. But I strongly, strongly suspect you are not.

We'll find out on the 19th, one way or another.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So according to the official Better Off Ted Facebook group, Ted got picked up for another season.

God I hope it's true.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ooh! There's a Better Off Ted FaceBook group?

*goes off to join.. then search for other shows*

Jasoco on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Okay, wow. First Dollhouse, and now (apparently) Better Off Ted? Shows with low ratings that I watch are getting renewed? What the hell is going on?

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Okay, wow. First Dollhouse, and now (apparently) Better Off Ted? Shows with low ratings that I watch are getting renewed? What the hell is going on?

You are echoing my thoughts man. Now all I need is Life (hahaha... :( ) to get picked up (and I'd of loved to see Terminator for a 3rd season, but I'm not delusional).

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Holy shit.

Better Off Ted, Scrubs, and Dollhouse?? Even Castle got picked back up.

Fuck, I owe a SHIT TON of apologies.

Also, it is true.http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/05/15/better-off-ted-renewed/18747

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Drakeon wrote: »

You are echoing my thoughts man. Now all I need is Life (hahaha... :( ) to get picked up (and I'd of loved to see Terminator for a 3rd season, but I'm not delusional).

Dude, I completely agree about Life. Such a fucking underrated show.

Least we got closure to the main storyline.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    That's excellent news.

I guess we've all just been so jaded by Fox's overdeveloped cancellation reflex.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    That's excellent news.

I guess we've all just been so jaded by Fox's overdeveloped cancellation reflex.

There was just no reason for ABC to renew it... except for how good it was. It's ratings were not good. But damn.... that makes me so happy! Maybe networks are finally realizing how outdated the Nielson rating system is.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well that and that sometimes you have to actually give a show a chance to get established.

TubularLuggage on