As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Better Off Ted - Final 2 Episodes cancelled due to NBA finals. Tough luck. :)

• Options
    KiwiKiwi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh hey! For anyone who still cares, Better Off Ted is on Hulu now. They put Racial Sensitivity on the front page. Yay for smart moves!

Honestly, I wasn't expecting them to put up BoT so fast.

Kiwi on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Clevinger on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It was originally scheduled to be a rerun anyway (The episode where Linda gets drugged, if I remember what the synopsis said), so nothing new was pushed back due to the MJ stuff.

Oh man, that one had my favorite exchange about the babies.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    Clevinger wrote: »

Just noticed that today. Now people can quit bitching. Yay.

Though, like the ABC player, they only have the last five up. Ugh. How are you supposed to get new people to watch the show when they can't start at the beginning? Especially after a big break like they had.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Clevinger wrote: »

Today is a good day.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hulu should keep the whole season. That's how it should be. Last 5 episodes is bullshit. But at least if it were the full season people could catch up on the whole... season. Yeah.

Goddamned contracts and all that bullshit.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Caught this on Hulu yesterday, wish I had known about it earlier (saw 0 ads but I also don't watch much TV on TV). Not the best thing ever but certainly watchable.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It gets better. The pilot sort of just ends, but you see a lot of fans pimping the Racial Sensitivity episode as the "moment" for the show.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Maybe it's just that it was just a Linda-centric episode, but I didn't really feel this last one. I <3 Dr Bombar though

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    Maybe it's just that it was just a Linda-centric episode, but I didn't really feel this last one. I <3 Dr Bombar though

I disagree, I found this last episode hilarious.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wanna watch this, but I'll be damned if Hulu and PlayOn haven't been on friendly terms for the last week.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Can you descreibe your job?
    Yes
    How would you describe your job?
    Cleverly.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If that makes me gay, then yeah, I'm gay!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Can you descreibe your job?
    Yes
    How would you describe your job?
    Cleverly.
    :lol::lol:

Best lines of the show.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    KiwiKiwi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Crap, this is the 2nd week in a row that I forgot BoT was on. I'm singlehandedly going to kill the show. Sorry guys!

In better news: There were so many awesome lines this week.
    "What about your father?"
    "I don't know how he feels about the Dutch."

"Instead, steal his heart, fill it with love and give it back. But not literally. That would be murder."

Kiwi on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You're right, I should connect with him before its too late. Luckily I do my best work under tight deadlines.

Whats going on in here? Are you shaving your office furniture?
    Well its not going to shave itself.

Oh and Ted, stop torturing your desk, I got a russian girl who can get that hting bikini ready in 20 minutes.

Er...Mr Palmer, I'm a friend of your...well not really a friend of your daughters, more of a colleague. No I;m definitely not a colleague, we're not equals in any way.

Obviously that whale thing is a winner else you wouldn't be telling me its a loser.
    UInless its really a loser and Im pretending its a loser to make you think its a winner
    Or I'm pretending to think its a winner when I actuall know its a loser because you said its a loser to make me think its a winner.
    So, the student becomes the master.
    Or the student has always been the master but wanted the master to think he was the master when he was actually just the student.
    These conversations are why your mother left us.
    That and the fact you porked your way through my sorority.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    "Whales are shallow twits. All they do is gossip and spread rumors. It's like talking to teenage girls."

Jasoco on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Phil and Lem are so great together.

"We have protocol, Ted. We have to test it on a rat, then a bat, then a hat."

"That last one may be a typo."

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2009
    So... it's off this week and next and then there's an hour of it the following week? What the hell?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »
    So... it's off this week and next and then there's an hour of it the following week? What the hell?

I guess ABC decided it was getting ratings that were too good, despite their best efforts, so decided to complicate it more.

Khavall on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    Aroduc wrote: »

I guess ABC decided it was getting ratings that were too good, despite their best efforts, so decided to complicate it more.

Thank god my DVR just automatically records.

"Veronica, quick question!"
    "What is it with all these questions today. Where did you learn to drive, will you marry me, why would you say that to my baby. God."

Taramoor on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2009
    But its ratings are even worse nowadays.

Gee, I wonder why.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So Taramoor has confused me, was there an episode this week or not?

Looks like the killing has begun.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    They're burning them off in the summertime. I don't expect much.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited July 2009
    I have always wondered, who are the Nielsen families? Why haven't I ever met or heard of any of them?

Is anybody out there a Nielsen contributor? Anybody?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have always wondered, who are the Nielsen families? Why haven't I ever met or heard of any of them?

My family got some nielsen booklets that they wanted us to complete, but that wasn't a permanent thing, just for a few weeks I think. Makes me wonder if anyone is a permanent nielsen family.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Drakeon wrote: »

My family got some nielsen booklets that they wanted us to complete, but that wasn't a permanent thing, just for a few weeks I think. Makes me wonder if anyone is a permanent nielsen family.

My cousin in Jersey had to wear these beeper-like devices for a few months. I knew a girl in class who was a Nielsen family. We were talking about ratings in an economics class and she mentioned how she had to press a button on a remote to show who in her family was watching what.

Still wholly unrepresentative, of course. Even if I could directly influence one or two households. Didn't save any of the shows I liked.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited July 2009
    I don't think the Nielsons are representative. I'm not a statistician, but I know that a sample size of 1000-1500 people is normally good, but I suspect that doesn't hold true when there are HUNDREDS of options for a single question ('what are you watching at this point in time'?)

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Fuck the Neilson Ratings. They're not 100% accurate and should be shut down and burned to the ground.

Let's go on all the tried and true methods of finding out a shows popularity, like internet buzz, reviews, place a rating counter in every DVR. Fuck privacy concerns, it's the only way to find out these days. Screw people who don't have a DVR, their opinions don't count anymore, just concentrate on the people who have DVR's and record what shows they actually watch. (Not the ones the DVR records since there's a lot of stuff people just record to have in case but never watch.) And if they watch it again, log it. Neilson Ratings are an outdated concept. It's time they threw them out and started over with a new paradigm. In this digital age, who the fuck needs notebooks and pens to write down what they are watching?

Especially since most DVR's can record two shows at once. So I could be watching both The Office and Grey's Anatomy. The days of having to choose one show over another and having to watch it right then and there are long gone. The paradigm needs to be shifted. Neilson must be eliminated!

Jasoco on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    ...Fuck people without DVRs?

So...fuck the majority? It's just reverse discrimination then. Now you're only getting a smaller sample size of people who don't watch tv live.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited July 2009
    I just hope Hulu gets popular enough that Hulu views can eclipse Nielsen ratings.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Anyone know if the networks get the numbers of hulu views?

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    hulu is apparently extremely unprofitable. they want to do more ads and charge for content

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I'm almost positive they don't.

Also it would be great if your ratings system involved other countries. I'm Canadian, and at least 80% of our programming is American. We get lots of American channels. C'mon!

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    hulu is apparently extremely unprofitable. they want to do more ads and charge for content

If they do charge for content they'll completely and suddenly fail though... Then they'd be more unprofitable.

Khavall on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

If they do charge for content they'll completely and suddenly fail though... Then they'd be more unprofitable.

I think it'd depend on how they charge for content, if it happens.

I wouldn't mind seeing a subscription service for HD versions of shows for example. Or anything that doesn't take away something from current users, really.

Slicer on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I would be surprised if they didn't as it would be kind of stupid to agree to such a thing without receiving any info on how well their shit is doing on the service. Wikipedia says that Hulu is a "joint venture of NBC Universal (GE), Fox Entertainment Group (News Corp) and ABC Inc. (The Walt Disney Company)" so those companies should at least have access to that sort of info.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

I would be surprised if they didn't as it would be kind of stupid to agree to such a thing without receiving any info on how well their shit is doing on the service. Wikipedia says that Hulu is a "joint venture of NBC Universal (GE), Fox Entertainment Group (News Corp) and ABC Inc. (The Walt Disney Company)" so those companies should at least have access to that sort of info.

There have been a couple of cases where the network has specifically said they look at Hulu numbers. Unfortunately, they don't put a /lot/ of weight on them, but they do look.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

Damn Sheinhardt Wig Corporation has its fingers in everything these days.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    Wait, there was no new episode this week? Or next? What the hell, ABC...

The Seattle Times even had a little blurb on Tues about the next episode.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.