As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Keyboard Fuckerdoodle

Aoi TsukiAoi Tsuki Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Apologies if this belongs in Technology or whatever.

Anyway. Early this year, I got a new Dell Inspiron 15 laptop. It's splendidly awesome except that every time I turn it on, I have to hold down/mash the Space bar in order to persuade it not to be constantly...spacey. Lately, it's getting worse: the startup screen hoots at me at 90 decibels till I hit the bar enough times for it to think I'm not holding it down enough. (If that makes any sense.)

It's so sensitive that hitting the d, c, m, or even - keys (shit, sometimes even Backspace) will throw in three or four extra spaces. I've Googled in vain, and am loathe to send this thing back in till I've checked for (see??) simpler solutions, like cracking the goddamn thing open and eating it. Or something.

Aoi Tsuki on

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I hate to be overly simplistic here, but did you try hooking up a different keyboard? Maybe that's the problem.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Aoi TsukiAoi Tsuki Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I hate to be overly simplistic here, but did you try hooking up a different keyboard? Maybe that's the problem.

? To a laptop? Would that even work? *curious, if not enthusiastic*

Aoi Tsuki on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just plug a USB keyboard in and have at it.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Shut it down, take out the battery, leave it for ten minutes, then hold it upside down and replace the battery so that when it's reconnected all the keys are in the 'out' position. My brother had a similar problem when he fell asleep on his laptop (Also an Inspiron 15) and this cleared it right up.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    Shut it down, take out the battery, leave it for ten minutes, then hold it upside down and replace the battery so that when it's reconnected all the keys are in the 'out' position. My brother had a similar problem when he fell asleep on his laptop (Also an Inspiron 15) and this cleared it right up.

Interesting. Definitely writing this down for a later date.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Laptop keyboards are ridiculously easy to take out and poke at. I'd make sure an errant piece of plastic wasn't stuck under there.

Usually you open it ALL the way like a book. Look just above the keyboard and under the monitor hinge and pop out a piece of plastic. Then it's like 3 screws and the whole thing will just pop out. Little tiny cord with a clip or pull tab will come off the mainboard and bam, poke at it all you want.

They're also cheap to replace if you want to just buy one on ebay for 30$.

edit: can also take it out, turn it on, then plug it back in (on some models) to have it re-detect just like a usb keyboard and set everything to neutral. Depends on your comfort level.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dur, I'm an idiot. I missed the laptop bit.

But you can remove the keyboard and replace it at home if your kind of technologically inclined.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Try turning on NumLock. Also, complain about it to Dell, it sounds like there's something seriously fucked up going on with their laptop keyboards. It doesn't sound like a hardware issue, more like a firmware or driver bug.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer