As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Banjo-Kazooie: The Bear, the Bird and the Witch. (Banjo-Tooie out now!)

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I can't figure out what it is but something about Cloud Cuckooland just completely rubs me the wrong way. The color scheme, the music, the enemies, everything about it just really makes me want to turn the game off.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Whoo, Banjo-Tooie get! I never got to play this one as a kid so it will all be new to me.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I can't figure out what it is but something about Cloud Cuckooland just completely rubs me the wrong way. The color scheme, the music, the enemies, everything about it just really makes me want to turn the game off.

Yeah, the 2D enemies in the main cavern fucking suck. There's too many, you can never be sure where they will pop up, and shit respawns way too fast.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Is it possible in Banjo-Tooie to have my axis inverted for swimming but normal for first-person aiming? Short of just switching it every time that is?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    No, the axis is linked between flying, swimming, and aiming. Inverting it affects all three, which sucks since I'm used to ascending with down and descending with up.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    I made this for a post on RWP:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/fyrewulff/tooieworldflow.png

only thing ommitted at the moment is train stations.

If the path goes into another world's box, that means you can use the connection to go from that world's entrance, through the connection, and out the other world's normal entrance.

If it ends on the border of the world box, you can use that connection to be in the other world, but you can't actually get to the other world.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    OrthojiOrthoji Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Stop and Swop reward spoiler.
    After returning 2 eggs to Heggy, it said that I had gotten a BT xbox theme, but I can't figure out how to activate it. It's not in my xbox under "change theme". Can someone tell me where to find it?

Thanks.

Orthoji on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Good Lord Glitter Gulch Mine is confusingly laid out.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Orthoji wrote: »
    After returning 2 eggs to Heggy, it said that I had gotten a BT xbox theme, but I can't figure out how to activate it. It's not in my xbox under "change theme". Can someone tell me where to find it?

Thanks.

Try going to the options menu to reinstall the theme. It should be there.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    jclast wrote: »

You think Glitter Gulch Mine is bad, wait until you get to Terrydacyland and Grunty Industries.

Grunty Industries made me want to kill myself.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Terrydactyland is the worst world. It's so confusing, boring, and it has terrible music. It also makes me wish for a nightclub like in Conker because the whole caveman aspect makes me think of Conker.

Also I just realized that I've been reading the name wrong this whole time. I always read it as Terrydacty Land. Not Terrydactyland where I combine the words to say both Terrydactyl and Land.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The amount of set up just starts getting rediculous in the last half of the game. I get about 2 jiggies each time I play, then save and quit. Game is just so damn big.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Terrydacyland is probably the second-most confusing world in my mind, second only to Grunty Industries* just because I'm having the worst time actually traversing up through the tower (mind you, I haven't even set foot into Cloud Cuckooland). I've somewhat memorized Terrydacyland's layout by now, but the first time I went in there it was like a sensory overload. I had absolutely no idea where I needed to go.

*Spoiler involving Grunty Industries:
    I mean goddamn, you can't even get into the building the first time you set foot in the level. You gotta find the train switch, go to another world and take the train there before you even get to work towards finding anything.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    OrthojiOrthoji Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Orthoji wrote: »

Thanks.

Try going to the options menu to reinstall the theme. It should be there.

Oh yeah, it shows up as a new menu item. I must've accidentally backed out of saving it the first time. Thanks.

Orthoji on
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I played for about 2 hours yesterday and didn't get a single Jiggy.

I'm confused so much at this game.

Rotam on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Omeks wrote: »

You think Glitter Gulch Mine is bad, wait until you get to Terrydacyland and Grunty Industries.

Grunty Industries made me want to kill myself.

An in-game map - even one only accessible via pause menu - would be wonderful. I found a toxic room in Glitter Gulch Mine last night (not Canary Mary's room), but can't get there again for the life of me.

Also, underwater mazes can fuck off and die.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Shit, there's NO WAY I'll be able to get all the bosses down in 15 minutes without the cheat codes or even HEALTH UPGRADES. No stop 'n' swap for me :(

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    2 things re: Jolly Roger's Lagoon -
    1) The fish boss was way easier as a submarine
    2) This mine mini-game was spawned in the depths of hell and there is no way a human can win it. The first-person aiming is usually crap (seriously, what the hell other game has such a floaty reticule?), but with that time limit and the slow turn speed of the sub it is impossible to score 60 points in 45 seconds.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    2 things re: Jolly Roger's Lagoon -
    1) The fish boss was way easier as a submarine
    2) This mine mini-game was spawned in the depths of hell and there is no way a human can win it. The first-person aiming is usually crap (seriously, what the hell other game has such a floaty reticule?), but with that time limit and the slow turn speed of the sub it is impossible to score 60 points in 45 seconds.

And yet I managed to do it on my first try!

Also I don't think it's fair to call Grunty Industries out on being confusingly laid out. It's a maze level, it's supposed to be confusing.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Clearly you are some sort of robot.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Maybe you are just not very good at pointing at things and then shooting them!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah... on that one I just held down the fire button and drove around. Not even in first person view. It was easy.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Maybe you are just not very good at pointing at things and then shooting them!

Must be. I managed to beat up Mr. Patch, Fak Fak, win the Saucer of Peril jiggy, and beat Grunty's Balloon Challenge in Witchyworld. I will have to try the "hold down the fire button and drive" technique.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I thought the Saucer of Peril was harder than the mines.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I cannot for the life of me find the stupid Oonga Boonga cave (or the other, whichever you need to heat up and feed) in Terrydactyland.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I cannot for the life of me find the stupid Oonga Boonga cave (or the other, whichever you need to heat up and feed) in Terrydactyland.

There's a guard from the other tribe in front of it if that helps.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Then I need to figure out how to make him move his ass outta the way.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I suppose you do!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If you're really having trouble, get Banjo Tooie, collect the Stop 'n' Swap items, and activate the "homing" cheat.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If you're really having trouble, get Banjo Tooie, collect the Stop 'n' Swap items, and activate the "homing" cheat.

I already have it. I'm just terrible at aiming in the sub. :(

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey guys, I heard that I need a nuts and bolts save file in order to unlock things in BK and BT. Is that true? Because I'm thinking about reliving my childhood with this, but I really don't feel like picking up Nuts and Bolts.

NaturalNarcissist on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    You can unlock Stop-n-Swop with either a Nuts and Bolts or a Tooie save file.

You should get NB though, it's fun.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    And quite choc-full of nostalgia for a Banjo-playing childhood itself. Having all three on one console with 3-way stop n swop stuff is simply perfection.

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So Madame Grunty does still give you a code, right? I know I can look it up online, but I'm determined to get it the legitimate way. 100 tries later though and all I have to show for it is a lot of bruises and a couple hundred eggs.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yes.

Also, jesus christ they need to fix the deadzone onthe sticks. I was unable to do Banjo's Trigger + Right Stick Up move until I turned off the controller and then held the right stick slightly downwards while turning the controller back on.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Yes.

Also, jesus christ they need to fix the deadzone onthe sticks. I was unable to do Banjo's Trigger + Right Stick Up move until I turned off the controller and then held the right stick slightly downwards while turning the controller back on.

Try a different controller. I didn't have any issues with doing any of the right stick moves.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I am finally finished with Jolly Roger's Lagoon - well as finished as one can be on the first time through anyhow. I still need 3 jiggies and a cheato page, but I don't have the necessary moves to collect them. I am hoping that Terrydactyland will teach me skills useful for finishing up Witchyworld since I am only 1 jiggy shy of having that done 100%.

Lots of people were saying that they hated JRL, but I am going to miss it. The underwater challenges were neat, and the usual water frustration of "shit, now that I know where I'm going I have no air" was taken out in the first 10 minutes, and I loved the transformation. So far Witchyworld has been my favorite, but JRL may be in second place.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Yes.

I have a feeling halo3 helps make dead zones in controllers. I have a few wired controllers that seem to be permanently screwed because of halo.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh God at Grunty Industries. It's rather dissuading to have spent almost 2 hours on it, and only having gotten 3 jiggies out of it. Setting up stuff, so you can set up other stuff, so you can unlock a jiggie, which requires more setup to actually get.

It's absolutely ridiculous. I do like the game, though. My only real disappointment is that the music is terrible compared to BK.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Oh God at Grunty Industries. It's rather dissuading to have spent almost 2 hours on it, and only having gotten 3 jiggies out of it. Setting up stuff, so you can set up other stuff, so you can unlock a jiggie, which requires more setup to actually get.

It's absolutely ridiculous. I do like the game, though. My only real disappointment is that the music is terrible compared to BK.

It's rose tinted glasses there, I think. I've found them just as addictively hummable, but for some reason I still prefer the BK tunes. On a purely proper level I'd say they're about even.

APZonerunner on