As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Diplomatic Envoys Walkout of UN Anti-Racism Conference

• postinonthenetspostinonthenets Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Don't think he meant was funny?

postinonthenets on
    Solitude sometimes is best society, and short retirement urges sweet return

Twitter
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Emanon wrote: »
    Crazy rep from Minnesota.
    I'm calling the NTSB, another thread has been derailed into right-wing bashing... again.
    I meant representative, not repub.

But okay...
    He knows what you meant... to the extent that he can ever really "know" anything not dictated to him by Fox News.

Regardless.... Israel is racist, but in much the same way the U.S. is racist. It's policies can be abhorrent, but they aren't representative of all the people the states encompass.

Frankly, getting a lecture from the guy who hosted the Holocaust is Bullshit symposium is pretty fucking rich.
    The NTSB? What the fuck does the NTSB have to do with it? Am I high?

GungHo on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Narian wrote: »
    Starcross wrote: »
    Israel is totally racist. Remember, just before their election when they tried to ban all the arab parties?
    It happens every time an election come up and every time it gets cuts down by the Supreme Court (or the Israeli equivalent) for being unconstitutional.

It's like saying Michelle Bachmann is representative of the United States.

I'm not sure where you're going with that point, but Michelle Bachmann is representative of a pretty large minority of the US.

She is A representative, but she is not representative.

She gets a ton of support for even her most vile comments from the mouthpieces on the right, and thus by the people who listen to those mouthpieces. I'm not saying she's representative of the entire country, or even the entire GOP, but there is a not-insignificant number of people who fully embrace her rhetoric. Hence "pretty large minority".

But, yeah, this is off-topic; I just wanted to clarify what I meant.

I'd wager that the size of the minority really isn't so impressing. They are just vocal.

Evander on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    GungHo wrote: »
    I'm calling the NTSB, another thread has been derailed into right-wing bashing... again.

But okay...
    He knows what you meant... to the extent that he can ever really "know" anything not dictated to him by Fox News.

Regardless.... Israel is racist, but in much the same way the U.S. is racist. It's policies can be abhorrent, but they aren't representative of all the people the states encompass.

Frankly, getting a lecture from the guy who hosted the Holocaust is Bullshit symposium is pretty fucking rich.

I spelled it out for you above.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    GungHo wrote: »

But okay...

I spelled it out for you above.

Where? This is your first post in this thread.

Evander on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    He bolded it. I'm a Marine. We're strictly single entendre people.

GungHo on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    No, I'm talking about how Israel can get on its neighbor's good side by being a frontrunner in area interests ((Xinjiang is pretty much Tibet with Muslims). It's kind of like all those GE ads about how green it is.

...I don't think that's going to clear 60 years of Israel doing pretty much whatever it wants in Middle East without giving a shit about what Arab nations want. At this rate it's going to take a miracle for Israel to get to it's neighbors good side. :|

And Israel is way more racist then U.S. At least U.S. doesn't define itself as a nation of a specific race/religion.

DarkCrawler on
    edited April 2009
    No, I'm talking about how Israel can get on its neighbor's good side by being a frontrunner in area interests ((Xinjiang is pretty much Tibet with Muslims). It's kind of like all those GE ads about how green it is.

...I don't think that's going to clear 60 years of Israel doing pretty much whatever it wants in Middle East without giving a shit about what Arab nations want. At this rate it's going to take a miracle for Israel to get to it's neighbors good side.:|

Man, you could not even IMAGINE what 60 years of Israel doing whatever it wants would look like.

Seriously, I'm not claiming that Israel has been out doing favors for their neighbors, but they've spent 60 years defending themselves, not attacking others.

http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/neighborhood-bully

Evander on
    edited April 2009
    And Israel is way more racist then U.S. At least U.S. doesn't define itself as a nation of a specific race/religion.

This reminds me of the time that a guy yelled at me "I'm Irish, where's my country?"

The Jewish people are a displaced nationality, not a race. They are the descendants of the ancient kingdom of Judea, expelled from their land under Roman rule.

Evander on
  • EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Even the UN's drama is irrelevant. Such an impotent organization.
    Oh yes, because decaying diplomatic relationships are just hi-larious.

The current system is pathetic and should be replaced with something more efficient, something where there is an incentive to join the world community. Federation of Planets anyone?

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
    edited April 2009

The current system is pathetic and should be replaced with something more efficient, something where there is an incentive to join the world community. Federation of Planets anyone?

The UN is ineffective, but sitting around and bitching only makes it worse.

If you want something more effective, then work towards reform, not removal.

Evander on
    edited April 2009
    I'm pretty sure this conflict has lost the line between who is attacking and who is defending a long time ago. Considering the way the state was formed, I would be hard pressed to define most of Israel's actions as "defending themselves". Bomb strikes, assassinations, conquest, other military actions etc...

Well, they could be defined AS defending, but from sources that haven't attacked completely without provocation either.
    Evander wrote: »

This reminds me of the time that a guy yelled at me "I'm Irish, where's my country?"

The Jewish people are a displaced nationality, not a race. They are the descendants of the ancient kingdom of Judea, expelled from their land under Roman rule.

Two thousand years ago. I call the nationality of Israeli Jews Israeli, American Jews American, German Jews German...I don't consider "Jew" to be a nationality, any more then I consider any other similar group to be. Ethnic and religious group, yes. Straight from Wikipedia, "Nationality is a the relationship between a person and their state of origin, culture, association, affiliation and/or loyalty," and I doubt that you can find a single person who can name the ancient Kingdom of Judea to be that to them. Because said country hasn't existed in two thousand years either.

And I don't understand that Irish line...that country would be Ireland, wouldn't it?

DarkCrawler on
    edited April 2009
    Considering the way the state was formed

How exactly do you believe it was formed?

Evander on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

...I don't think that's going to clear 60 years of Israel doing pretty much whatever it wants in Middle East without giving a shit about what Arab nations want. At this rate it's going to take a miracle for Israel to get to it's neighbors good side.:|

Man, you could not even IMAGINE what 60 years of Israel doing whatever it wants would look like.

Seriously, I'm not claiming that Israel has been out doing favors for their neighbors, but they've spent 60 years defending themselves, not attacking others.

Lebanon would like to have a word with you.

Lawndart on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009

It's actually been quite effective outside of Darfur and stupid shit Bush wanted to do. Hell, the fact that this ineffectiveness meme was started after the UN refused to sign on for the Iraq war should be a pretty good signal.

This success is especially surprising given that the US, the UN's biggest source of funding, owes eight years' worth of back taxes (yes, the UN has taxes).

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited April 2009
    Straight from Wikipedia, "Nationality is a the relationship between a person and their state of origin, culture, association, affiliation and/or loyalty," and I doubt that you can find a single person who can name the ancient Kingdom of Judea to be that to them. Because said country hasn't existed in two thousand years either.

And I don't understand that Irish line...that country would be Ireland, wouldn't it?

Well, the Irish line came from a man whose family had been living in the US for generations. That's kind of the point.

As for finding a single person to name Judea as their point of origin, how about anyone who professes to be a "cultural Jew"?

2000 years doesn't magically break ones loyalty. Sometimes it only makes it stronger.

Evander on
    edited April 2009

Unilateral decision by western nations, on territory owned by Great Britain through colonialism but parts of which were populated vastly more by Palestinians then Jews? And I'm pretty sure that the people who lived there or the neighboring nations had not given any sort of consent to the plan. And they had a good reason to have that opinion.

DarkCrawler on
    edited April 2009
    Lawndart wrote: »

It's Syria who they really ought to be having words with.

I'm not interesting in defending all of Israel's methods. I do not support every single specific action ever undertaken by the state of Israel. The simple fact is, though, that when a neighboring state is harboring terrorist organizations which are attacking you, and that state is refusing to take any action, eventually you must take some manner fo action yourself.

Evander on
    edited April 2009

Unilateral decision by western nations, on territory owned by Great Britain through colonialism but parts of which were populated vastly more by Palestinians then Jews? And I'm pretty sure that the people who lived there or the neighboring nations had not given any sort of consent to the plan. And they had a good reason to have that opinion.

So, do you oppose the existence of the United states, or of Iraq, or of all of the other countless nations which were formed in this exact manner?

Evander on
    edited April 2009
    Straight from Wikipedia, "Nationality is a the relationship between a person and their state of origin, culture, association, affiliation and/or loyalty," and I doubt that you can find a single person who can name the ancient Kingdom of Judea to be that to them. Because said country hasn't existed in two thousand years either.

Well, the Irish line came from a man whose family had been living in the US for generations. That's kind of the point.

Then he would have Irish ethnical background. Not an Irish nationality (unless he happened to have the citizenship as well). But his nationality would be American.
    As for finding a single person to name Judea as their point of origin, how about anyone who professes to be a "cultural Jew"?

I'm not sure what that would mean, exactly. I could say that I'm a cultural American or something like that, but that wouldn't change my nationality. Neither would professing my loyalty to a kingdom that has been dead for several millenia. I'm pretty sure modern Jewish culture is quite different from the culture of the Kingdom of Judea, especially if you remove the religious ties.
    2000 years doesn't magically break ones loyalty. Sometimes it only makes it stronger.

I'd say it's pretty hard to feel loyalty to something that hasn't existed in two thousand years.

DarkCrawler on
    edited April 2009

I'm not sure what that would mean, exactly. I could say that I'm a cultural American or something like that, but that wouldn't change my nationality. Neither would professing my loyalty to a kingdom that has been dead for several millenia. I'm pretty sure modern Jewish culture is quite different from the culture of the Kingdom of Judea, especially if you remove the religious ties.

You d0on't have to understand something for it to exist. If you have questions, I'd be happy to use the vast amount of Judaic knowledge rattling around in my brain to inform you, but declaring that a thing can't be so just because you can't figure it out personally isn't really a valid thing.

I'd say it's pretty hard to feel loyalty to something that hasn't existed in two thousand years.

Why not ask the Pope about it?

Evander on
    edited April 2009

So, do you oppose the existence of the United states, or of Iraq, or of all of the other countless nations which were formed in this exact manner?

No, because first of all, I'd be extremely hard pressed to find similarities between the Revolutionary War OR the formation of Kingdom of Iraq and the Independence of Israel...and second of all, some of those nations were formed hundreds of years ago. I expect better from modern times.

And I don't oppose the existence of Israel. Just the manner which it was carried out.

DarkCrawler on
    edited April 2009

I'm not interesting in defending all of Israel's methods. I do not support every single specific action ever undertaken by the state of Israel. The simple fact is, though, that when a neighboring state is harboring terrorist organizations which are attacking you, and that state is refusing to take any action, eventually you must take some manner fo action yourself.

Syria's actions towards Lebanon don't make Israeli foreign policy any better (or worse).

While I do support Israel's right to exist as a secular, democratic state, I think painting the past 60+ years of Middle Eastern history as broadly as "Poor widdle Israel does nothing wrong and keeps getting picked on by those mean ol' Arabs" is just as inaccurate and counter-productive as the "Israel is a racist state that keeps picking fights with it's peace-loving Arab neighbors".

Lawndart on
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There are lots of nations that where formed in the same manner as Israel, But Israel is the last one. Its a case of devil take the hindmost. I mean after WWII the world decided that massacring the natives where just plain wrong.

Plus of course the bandwagon is not really a good argument. "the US did so why can't we" is shity argument that would be shot down by any third rate debate team.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
    edited April 2009

You d0on't have to understand something for it to exist. If you have questions, I'd be happy to use the vast amount of Judaic knowledge rattling around in my brain to inform you, but declaring that a thing can't be so just because you can't figure it out personally isn't really a valid thing.

Fine, what does a cultural Jew mean, and how does it change one's nationality?

Why not ask the Pope about it?

Are you referring to Catholic Church, Vatican City or Christian religion? I'm pretty sure all of those are still going strong.

DarkCrawler on
    edited April 2009
    60 years is long enough for generations to be born

why is that any different from 200, or 2000 years?

Evander on
    edited April 2009

Syria's actions towards Lebanon don't make Israeli foreign policy any better (or worse).

While I do support Israel's right to exist as a secular, democratic state, I think painting the past 60+ years of Middle Eastern history as broadly as "Poor widdle Israel does nothing wrong and keeps getting picked on by those mean ol' Arabs" is just as inaccurate and counter-productive as the "Israel is a racist state that keeps picking fights with it's peace-loving Arab neighbors".

I never said that Israel does nothing wrong.

Evander on
    edited April 2009
    It should be noted that the idea of Jews being citizens is relatively new. Until recently, Jews were granted autonomy outside of taxes and disputes between members of both communities (in which the Jews were occasionally able to claim jurisdiction).

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited April 2009

Read those Dylan lyrics again before you link to them, then.

Lawndart on
    edited April 2009
    It should be noted that the idea of Jews being citizens is relatively new. Until recently, Jews were granted autonomy outside of taxes and disputes between members of both communities (in which the Jews were occasionally able to claim jurisdiction).

On the otherhand, they didn't recieve the benefits of being a citizen either.

They were essentially treated as resident aliens of any country that they lived in.

Thousands of years as "the wandering Jews" creates a culture that pledges loyalty to their point of origin, because no one else will have them. Sudden acceptance (and not even globally yet) doesn't make all of this go away all at once.

Evander on
    edited April 2009

Read those Dylan lyrics again before you link to them, then.

No, you read them, and rememebr what they are being written about.

When Israel destroyed Iran's nuclear program in the 80s, the world was outraged. Meanwhile, who exactly would Iran have been attacking (Iraq is too close for Nukes)

Consider poetic liscence and exaggeration when dealing with a song.

Evander on
    edited April 2009

On the otherhand, they didn't recieve the benefits of being a citizen either.

They were essentially treated as resident aliens of any country that they lived in.

Thousands of years as "the wandering Jews" creates a culture that pledges loyalty to their point of origin, because no one else will have them. Sudden acceptance (and not even globally yet) doesn't make all of this go away all at once.

That was my point, though Jews in Muslim nations were sometimes tapped for official positions, probably because they had zero chance of seizing power (which was a concern, especially to those rulers who did select Jewish advisers)

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

The entirety of England can trace its ancestry to a small area of Germany just south of Denmark, on a time scale much less than 2000 years, I doubt the Germans would like it very much if the whole damn island decided one day to move back there...

Jealous Deva on
    edited April 2009

How about 3000 years? I bet there's a self-identifying Philistine or two out there who'd be happy to claim the land of their ancestors from Israel.

How about hundreds of years? Obviously Native Americans should be given their lands back. Let's all join together to drive everyone except them out of the U.S.A. Might want to get rid of Canadians too.

Aborigines could be given their lands back as well. Empty out Sydney and Melbourne from all those other assholes, it's rightfully Aborigines.

Fuck, I gotta pack up and move, the Sami people want their lands back and drive those damn Finns out of Finland! I'm not sure where to move though, since people are driving eachother away in every other country as well. I gotta see a genealogist, maybe he could trace me back to some nice place.

...Siberia. Shit. Well, it looks like I gotta drive out some fucking Russians.

DarkCrawler on
    edited April 2009
    I don't give a shit about the specific land. I'd be happy in Uganda.

Israel's been there for 60 years now, though, so the location argument is kind of moot.

Evander on
    edited April 2009

How about 3000 years? I bet there's a self-identifying Philistine or two out there who'd be happy to claim the land of their ancestors from Israel.

How about hundreds of years? Obviously Native Americans should be given their lands back. Let's all join together to drive everyone except them out of the U.S.A. Might want to get rid of Canadians too.

Aborigines could be given their lands back as well. Empty out Sydney and Melbourne from all those other assholes, it's rightfully Aborigines.

So, don't your arguments also apply to the idea of Palestinians kicking the Jews out of Israel?

Evander on
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    First of it was Iraq's nuke program that was attacked.

Evander I wonder what do YOU think Israel has done wrong? Like what Human and Civil Rights do you feel Israel has stepped over the line with? What Crimes do you think Israel has done? Because EVERY TIME we bring up Israel on these boards you step in to defend them. Then when someone says Israel is not pure as the driven snow, you post "I don't agree with everything Israel does" as a defense.

So I would like to know what is it you don't agree with? and an answer like "Lots of things" is not an answer.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    No, because first of all, I'd be extremely hard pressed to find similarities between the Revolutionary War OR the formation of Kingdom of Iraq and the Independence of Israel.
    Terrorist acts against British power and the removal of the native people? Yes, that's how the US was formed.

Hoz on
    edited April 2009
    No, you read them, and rememebr what they are being written about.

When Israel destroyed Iran's nuclear program in the 80s, the world was outraged. Meanwhile, who exactly would Iran have been attacking (Iraq is too close for Nukes)

Consider poetic liscence and exaggeration when dealing with a song.

Propaganda is propaganda.

Also, why is it a guarantee that an Iran with nuclear weapons would be attacking anyone? The tensions between Pakistan and India, not to mention the US and the Soviet Union, have been as equally high if not higher than the tensions and/or rhetoric between Iran and Israel at various points since 1979, and exactly zero nuclear weapons were used by either nation.

Lawndart on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    First of it was Iraq's nuke program that was attacked.

They didn't have one, though. So either that was a real silly move, or we're so good, we retroactively destroyed their nuclear program.

Edit: oh oh ohhhh you're referring to a comment by Evander. I just found the last mention of the US Iraq Attaq.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.