As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii composit/componant/HDMI

Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
Is there any reason that I'd want to get a componant or HDMI cable for my Wii? Right now I have a composit cable that it came with. Would it be worth anything to upgrade to a componant or HDMI cable? I have a TV capable of 1080p, but I know the Wii only goes up to 480p.

Undead Scottsman on

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Wii doesn't have an HDMI port, so just forget that completely.

And yes, if you've got a spare set of Component jacks, definitely go for component. Not only do you get a sharper picture, but colors will be more vibrant as well.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Doesn't it just have a proprietary port like every Nintendo console since the N64?
    And yes, if you've got a spare set of Component jacks, definitely go for component. Not only do you get a sharper picture, but colors will be more vibrant as well.
    Alrighty then, thank you!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    http://mntorankusu.googlepages.com/rfvscompositevss-video%3Afreeforall

Keep in mind Component isn't on the page here, so imagine S-Video but even better.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Doesn't it just have a proprietary port like every Nintendo console since the N64?
    Sure, but it's an ANALOG port.

The difference between composite, s-video, and component is (basically) which parts of the analog signal go down which wire. HDMI is an entirely different technology.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Get component cables for Wii.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

The difference between composite, s-video, and component is (basically) which parts of the analog signal go down which wire. HDMI is an entirely different technology.

This isn't really true. Composite and s-video are very alike. Composite sends modulated luminance and color information together while S-video separates them. The modulation adds significant signal distortion limits and resolution to 648x480 interlaced (NTSC).

Component video is more like a VGA connection, except the colors are split up differently and the sync signal isn't separate.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

This isn't really true. Composite and s-video are very alike. Composite sends modulated luminance and color information together while S-video separates them. The modulation adds significant signal distortion limits and resolution to 648x480 interlaced (NTSC).

Component video is more like a VGA connection, except the colors are split up differently and the sync signal isn't separate.
    ...which is why I added the word "(basically)"

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    so tl;dr HDMI doesn't exist for Wii and component cables are fucking cheap and better than S-Video. I'm typically an asshole not leaning towards supporting old tech, and I pretty much feel its time to start dialing back the composite/RCA/S-Video ports on receivers. Same for the digital coax ports, actually. Buy your component and live and prosper.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Scrublet wrote: »
    so tl;dr HDMI doesn't exist for Wii and component cables are fucking cheap and better than S-Video. I'm typically an asshole not leaning towards supporting old tech, and I pretty much feel its time to start dialing back the composite/RCA/S-Video ports on receivers. Same for the digital coax ports, actually. Buy your component and live and prosper.

Fine by me, so long as my HDTV has 3 component, 3 HDMI, and at least 1 coaxial. Emphasis on the last one.

'Course, that might change in five years.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009
    Component is also nice in that it allows for a non-interlaced picture, and so there's a lot less flicker.

Keep in mind that compared to what you get out of a 360 or PS3, the Wii will still look pretty crappy via component. Nicer than S-video, but don't expect anything jaw-dropping.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    My biggest problem with low-tech graphics is blur. Old consoles on old TVs were blurry. The Wii with component video is still low res, but the jagged lines are sharp. Easy to fix your eyes on. You don't feel like you're going blind from eye fatigue after an hour of play.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Got some cables and New Play! Pikmin for my Birthday, so yay!

And yes, it does look MUCH better.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I recently got the Component cables... and fell for an April Fool's joke of the Wii getting a 720p upgrade. -_-

Anyway, it's possible to do 720p with a Wii emulator on PC, apparently. Obviously, this isn't legal, but I've seen videos. I'm calling attention to the fact that it's an absolute shame that someone else had to do that rather than the system being able to do it on it's own.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    I recently got the Component cables... and fell for an April Fool's joke of the Wii getting a 720p upgrade. -_-

Anyway, it's possible to do 720p with a Wii emulator on PC, apparently. Obviously, this isn't legal, but I've seen videos. I'm calling attention to the fact that it's an absolute shame that someone else had to do that rather than the system being able to do it on it's own.

You know, this is a case of a horrible cliche/predictable stereotype on the Wii actually turning out to be reality.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Once you emulate a system by translating its 3D instructions into OpenGL or DirectX, you can render at any resolution without a problem. The emulator's capabilities are in no way indicative of what the Wii is capable of. That boost in resolution is all done in the host system's GPU.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Once you emulate a system by translating its 3D instructions into OpenGL or DirectX, you can render at any resolution without a problem. The emulator's capabilities are in no way indicative of what the Wii is capable of. That boost in resolution is all done in the host system's GPU.

Which is why the Wii's successor could easily render everything at 720p (or higher) if Nintendo engineers it properly.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png