As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warriors: A Longing for the Baddassery of Yore?

mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
DISCLAIMER: This thread is not about my man-crush on Terry Schappert.

host-terry-schappert.jpg

This thread is about Warriors on the History Channel hosted by Terry Schappert, a Green Beret who goes around to the locations of various warrior cultures throughout history.

He explores what made them badass and talks to people who have preserved their traditions, especially when it comes to weapons/armor-making and fighting styles. He looks like the cop from Law and Order: SVU and talks like a surfer.

Taj_strangle_crop.JPG

He bangs swords, shields, axes, and spears with crazy berserker LARPers who fight each other with real weapons.

warrior_battle.jpg

He also takes time to tell the viewer about his journey into the warrior culture and how he can't stop thinking about what it must've been like for these people to know that they had to win this battle or else they were going to die. If he wasn't so earnest and enthusiastic, it'd make me laugh. Instead, I just want to see him swing more weapons at people.

560_The_Greek_Warriors_Gets_us_to_Cali_082.JPG

His favorite books are LotR, Dune, and Starship Troopers. He doesn't ever come out and say it, or even vaguely hint toward it, but I'm pretty damn sure the man is a D&Der.

You can find more information and a few full episodes at http://www.history.com/content/warriors

There seems to be a number of similar shows cropping up, including Deadliest Warrior on Spike, which asks age-old questions, such as who would win in a fight:

-A Viking or a Samurai?
-A Ninja or a Spartan?

They use SCIENCE! to answer these burning questions, using Step 5 of the Scientific Method.

Step 5: Swing a weapon at a stack of pig carcasses to see how many it can cut through.

Has our sedentary lifestyle instilled some sort of primal longing in ourselves to beat the hell out of each other with pointy objects?
This thread is about my man-crush on Terry Schappert.

mightyspacepope on

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I saw an episode of this the other day

He gave one of those warrior speeches at the end and I was like What the hell?

It was bizarre

Edit: After remembering it a bit more, I feel more like I can clarify my general impression

My general impression is that he was very aroused by the whole thing

Elendil on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Elendil wrote: »

He then showcased the ancient martial art of penis fencing.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    They tried this show before more or less with the British dude who was in The Patriot.

He seemed a bit more knowledgable and less creepy.

That Spike show mentioned in the OP is fantastic though.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • hesthefastesthesthefastest Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I really wish 'Deadliest Warrior' was more scientific. Specifically, they should really explain how they set up the computer simulation to find the winner, instead of just treating it like a magic answer box.

hesthefastest on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, when I saw this thread I was thinking of the other Warriors.

Waaaaaaaarrrriiiooorrrrsss, come out and plaaaaayyyaaayyyy.

Back on topic, I have never heard of this show and it looks pretty cool.

Thetheroo on
  • EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »

He then showcased the ancient martial art of penis fencing.

I'm sure I'll be flamed big time for this but I sincerely think guys like Terry are closet homosexuals. They get aroused by men play fighting with other men. I have the same opinion about MMA/cage fighting and other sports as well. Seriously, who gets off watching two guys getting all hot & sweaty with each other?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h-85s3lc9E&feature=related

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    All of us have at least one man crush in some form or another. So no flames, but I do disagree with you.

As for the boxing video. That wasn't a make out, that was a psyche out

VoodooV on
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    He sliced his own leg wide open with a Mayan war club last time I watched.

It was pretty great. And it actually demonstrated the unique sharpness of obsidian pretty neatly, too, because at first it looked like a tiny nick, and he thought that's what it was then he touched it and it turned out to be a pretty deep gash.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    VoodooV wrote: »
    As for the boxing video. That wasn't a make out, that was a psyche out

Riiggghhhttt, sure it was :winky:

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Willy-Bob GracchusWilly-Bob Gracchus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    One of history's lessons is that there's not generally a huge distance between a societal hard on for the warrior ideal and aggressive imperialistic & authoritarian nastiness. It's the reason I found myself being deeply cynical when watching The Last Samurai, given the rock-star treatment being given to the guys who were poster-boys for Japan's doolally hunger for conquest in the '30's and '40's.

Willy-Bob Gracchus on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I enjoy this show quite a bit. Yes he gets a hard-on for the warrior culture, but he was also immersed in it as a green beret. And, to be fair, the show isn't just swinging weapons at each other "like LARPers." In fact, most of the people who he is "sparring" with are historians or ancestors of the civilizations being discussed (or both). It is also a historical show, discussing the battles that took place, showing the strategies used... it's a pretty awesome show.
    His favorite books are LotR, Dune, and Starship Troopers. He doesn't ever come out and say it, or even vaguely hint toward it, but I'm pretty damn sure the man is a D&Der.

Yea, a lot of people in the military are D&Ders, actually. What else are they gonna do with their downtime? ;-)

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Didn't Discovery Channel do a show like this too, using various martial arts?

JustinSane07 on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

They had Fight quest where 2 MMA guys went to a different country each ep and trained with masters of their local martial arts for a few weeks.
    It was interesting

nexuscrawler on
  • ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

They had Fight quest where 2 MMA guys went to a different country each ep and trained with masters of their local martial arts for a few weeks.
    It was interesting

Yeah, it was called Human Weapon and I think it was on the History Channel too.

I liked watching that show because it was interesting to see all the different fighting styles used around the world.

Zaylenz on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Different shows similar concept

nexuscrawler on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I enjoyed the previously-alluded-to show Conquest. Back when they had it and Mail Call back to back it was good times.

I'll have to make a point of watching Warriors soon.

Bama on
  • mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I enjoy this show quite a bit. Yes he gets a hard-on for the warrior culture, but he was also immersed in it as a green beret. And, to be fair, the show isn't just swinging weapons at each other "like LARPers." In fact, most of the people who he is "sparring" with are historians or ancestors of the civilizations being discussed (or both).

My point was that these guys are like the EXTREME BADASS version if LARPers. They dress up in authentic costumes, train in esoteric fighting styles that are hundreds of years old, then go swing heavy metal weapons at each other. It's pretty nuts, but also pretty awesome.

mightyspacepope on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've seen Warriors a few times, and it was pretty interesting. I haven't seen the Spike one.

There's another that's usually entertaining; Future Weapons. It doesn't deal as much with the individual soldier, but the weapons technology they showcase is something I find fascinating.

Less combat related, but Man vs. Wild is hosted by a former SAS operative and very entertaining.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    Less combat related, but Man vs. Wild is hosted by a former SAS operative and very entertaining.

You should be watching Survivorman instead.

Cinders on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Survivorman is over though.

JustinSane07 on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    then you watch the re-runs

Bama on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Cinders wrote: »

You should be watching Survivorman instead.

Asiina on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've seen Warriors a few times, and it was pretty interesting. I haven't seen the Spike one.

There's another that's usually entertaining; Future Weapons. It doesn't deal as much with the individual soldier, but the weapons technology they showcase is something I find fascinating.

I wasn't aware Future Weapons was still running... the last episodes I saw were rehashes of earlier episodes, with the tech moved around a bit.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I wasn't aware Future Weapons was still running... the last episodes I saw were rehashes of earlier episodes, with the tech moved around a bit.

Looks like there's only 3 seasons; 2006, 2007 and 2008. Wiki shows the last new episodes coming out a year ago, so I guess that one might be done (or at least on hiatus for now) as well.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    On the Survivorman vs Man vs Wild thing, I gotta say Les Shroud always impressed me far more than Bear Grylls. Both of them are badass in their own way, however the main difference to me was that Les went out completely alone, but Bear always has a camera crew following him so the danger is kind of lifted since if something really bad happened they wouldn't exactly stand back.

Considering Les was pretty much stalked by a Jaguar in the Amazon and survived automatically makes him more badass.

Oh! Right Warriors. I've watched a couple of the episodes so far.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I really wish 'Deadliest Warrior' was more scientific. Specifically, they should really explain how they set up the computer simulation to find the winner, instead of just treating it like a magic answer box.

I'm pretty sure they just play a game of Soul Calibur

piL on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This thread is about Warriors on the History Channel hosted by Terry Schappert, a Green Beret who goes around to the locations of various warrior cultures throughout history.

He explores what made them badass and talks to people who have preserved their traditions, especially when it comes to weapons/armor-making and fighting styles. He looks like the cop from Law and Order: SVU and talks like a surfer.
    He talks entirely too much about what it means for him to be a Green Beret wearing Samurai armor. Or a Green Beret swinging an axe. Or a Green Beret shooting a crossbow. We get it. You're a Green Beret. Be like the other operators and shut the hell up about that part. I get the passion and pride, and I don't doubt that he served, but... damn. Also, stop going for that Emmy every time the show ends with the "Now I know what it's like to be a warrior" speech. You sound like some REMF in the motor pool.

Other than that, it's a cool show. His technique is usually ass, though, especially when he swings swords or does any sort of kata. It's painfully obvious that he doesn't have a lot of weapons training.
    There seems to be a number of similar shows cropping up, including Deadliest Warrior on Spike, which asks age-old questions, such as who would win in a fight:

-A Viking or a Samurai?
    -A Ninja or a Spartan?

They use SCIENCE! to answer these burning questions, using Step 5 of the Scientific Method.

Step 5: Swing a weapon at a stack of pig carcasses to see how many it can cut through.
    This one is kinda dumb. The shit-talking was the most painful in the first episode... Gladiator vs. Aztec. God, that got annoying. It wasn't much better in the other episodes, but it got better. The Samurai guy didn't really back up his people, though. The announcer is also chewing on his tongue.

Then again, it was fun to see Chuck Liddell beat the shit out of a cow carcass with a caestus, and then cut it in half with a scissor gauntlet. The ballistic gel dummies getting abused is also cool. My favorite part of Mythbusters, but with a guy chopping off half of a guy's head with a tomahawk. The final battles are also badass, though about as valid as the old Discovery show where they had a shark fight a gorilla.

One of the guys from the gladiator show was also in a lot of the old Peter Woodward Conquest shows, which was great... glad to see he's still getting work. Conquest was one of the first and one of the best in these "ancient skills challenge" shows, and despite being only 30 minutes long, also the most informative. Peter Woodward obviously knew what he was doing and had a real passion for it.
    They tried this show before more or less with the British dude who was in The Patriot.

He seemed a bit more knowledgable and less creepy.

That Spike show mentioned in the OP is fantastic though.
    That's Conquest. It still shows every Monday in the early AM on History International. The best one is where Woodward demonstrates the lunge and the timestroke with the rapier and main gauche. You really figure out that the whole idea of getting into a fight with someone ready to stab the shit out of you is spooky.
    Zaylenz wrote: »

It was interesting
    Yeah, it was called Human Weapon and I think it was on the History Channel too.

I liked watching that show because it was interesting to see all the different fighting styles used around the world.
    I LOLed at the one where they went to the Philippines and the one guy went into the woods and the "natives" sacrified a chicken on his chest. They were totally screwing with him.
    The host is another one of those guys that plays up his SF experience way too much and emphasizes/accents his words unnecessarily. Some of is just the way the military does PR. They think that's their "smart voice." But, some of it is just way over done.

GungHo on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man vs Wild is fake.

There was an article in the local newspaper in the town that they filmed the episode where he was being chased by bears.

He slept in a hotel room that night and ordered pancakes and shit. The title of the article was "Man vs. Room Service".

Also theres been a couple of times where he has pretended like he built a raft or something, but really had a production team come and build it.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009

Yeah, no it's not.

It's hosted by some toff who went to Eton and whose daddy got him into 21st SAS Regiment (Reserve). He broke his back in a training jump and went on to become the glory-hound everyone knows and loves today.

He was never assigned to the active service SAS. He was never deployed with the 22 Regiment. He's not a former SAS anything.

necroSYS on
    edited April 2009
    The biggest problem with any show fronted by Grylis is that he is an insufferable tit. Anyone see that show he fronted on Channel 4 where they simulated French Foreign Legion training for a bunch of civilians from varying backgrounds? He fucking ruined it.

Willy-Bob Gracchus on
    edited April 2009
    GungHo wrote: »

REDACTING MY FOOT OUT OF MY MOUTH IN HURR
    To: Mocheeks and other keyboard commandos,

Terry Schapperts served on my team, ODA 944 as the senior medic while deployed in Iraq from 2005-06. A first class soldier, SF Medic and a true friend. I had the blessing to serve with America?s finest warriors over the last twenty plus years in the US Army Special Forces. Mocheeks nothing is stopping you from enlisting and trying your best to make it through the US Army Special Forces Course. A wonderful opportunity to serve your country.

The United States Army Special Warfare Center eagerly awaits your arrival for training.

Respectfully,

MSG Mike Cutone 18Z
    US Army Special Forces

Though, the guy's an 18 Zulu, so can he really be trusted. ;)

Also, if anyone's interested, I found a good write-up of ODA 944's deployment in-country. So, whatever Sgt. Shappert might be, he's definitely not a poseur (unlike the aforementioned Saturdays-and-Sundays Grylls).

necroSYS on
    edited April 2009
    Oh, and to the point of the thread, there are plenty of warriors in the world today.

The nature of modern life has pared down the need for large amounts of them, but the trade-off is that the selection process can be made much more...selective...and the quality of warriors bred that much higher.

necroSYS on
    edited April 2009
    necroSYS wrote: »
    Oh, and to the point of the thread, there are plenty of warriors in the world today.

The nature of modern life has pared down the need for large amounts of them, but the trade-off is that the selection process can be made much more...selective...and the quality of warriors bred that much higher.

That fact seems to escape all the "Starship Trooper" fans who seem to pine for a militarised society with a warrior ideal at its core.

Willy-Bob Gracchus on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Green Berets are basically Warrior-Nerds.

Hoz on
    edited April 2009
    I do wonder what sort of an effect a "Military Service = Citizenship" society would have on modern America.

On one hand, it'd probably create a horrible right-wing oligarchy and bring the worst parts of 1984 to life.

On the other hand, it could give America a nearly limitless supply of well-trained men and women to do a massive amount of good in the world, in terms of peace-keeping and humanitarian work.

necroSYS on
    edited April 2009
    Hoz wrote: »
    Green Berets are basically Warrior-Nerds.

Cite.

necroSYS on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also, if anyone's interested, I found a good write-up of ODA 944's deployment in-country. So, whatever Sgt. Shappert might be, he's definitely not a poseur (unlike the aforementioned Saturdays-and-Sundays Grylls).
    I don't think he's a poseur. He just doesn't have to emphasize it every other sentence. "Now I know how it feels to eat salsa as a Green Beret!"

GungHo on
    edited April 2009
    I do wonder what sort of an effect a "Military Service = Citizenship" society would have on modern America.

On one hand, it'd probably create a horrible right-wing oligarchy and bring the worst parts of 1984 to life.

On the other hand, it could give America a nearly limitless supply of well-trained men and women to do a massive amount of good in the world, in terms of peace-keeping and humanitarian work.

Sure, that's what they always get used for in militarised societies ruled by a warrior elite.

Willy-Bob Gracchus on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What is there to cite? It's their job description. They get dropped into foreign countries to form and lead guerrilla armies.

You know what a teacher is? A nerd.

Hoz on
    edited April 2009

Sure, that's what they always get used for in militarised societies ruled by a warrior elite.

Like I said, the use of "would" vs. "could" in my post gives you a pretty good idea of which I think is more likely.

necroSYS on