As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should I buy this computer?

GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin ItRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Quick question for all you computer people. I need a new desktop but moneys a little tight at the moment, so I was considering buying this computer from Fry's.

So my question is: would this computer be ok for some light gaming? Specifically the games I want it to play are:

Company of Heroes
Unreal Tournament 3
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Dawn of War 2

None of these have to be at max settings, I'm not too picky about that as long as they play well:P

I have a 1g video card I'll be cannibalizing from my current desktop if I buy this one, so would this computer be suitable for my needs?

04xkcuvaav19.png
GR_Zombie on

• Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Should be fine with the upgraded video card. It may be a little bit slow on the processor front, but it shouldn't be too bad.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Quick question for all you computer people. I need a new desktop but moneys a little tight at the moment, so I was considering buying this computer from Fry's.

So my question is: would this computer be ok for some light gaming? Specifically the games I want it to play are:

Company of Heroes
    Unreal Tournament 3
    Rainbow Six Vegas 2
    Dawn of War 2

None of these have to be at max settings, I'm not too picky about that as long as they play well:P

I have a 1g video card I'll be cannibalizing from my current desktop if I buy this one, so would this computer be suitable for my needs?

To be honest, if you're at all happy with building your own, you can buy a much much better PC for only a few dollars more. Less if you've got an old case/psu you can reuse.

Rook on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I hope the video card is the only thing you plan on putting into that computer, because that's likely all will fit.

Also if it requires a PCIe power connector you may be out of luck as most OEM computers don't have those (that I've seen anyway... been a while though).

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i know no one likes to hear this and I'm probably being a bit of a buzzkill but if money is tight right now just save it. tech prices drop fast, especially for desktops, and in a few months the price will be even lower. plus 2.3 dual core isn't gonna run those all that spectacularly, min i would go is 3.2 x2

if you need it now, go for it, but don't expect it to be the best. if you can wait to save up some more money i would HIGHLY suggest doing so. an extra 200 dollars turns it from min specs to something not at all bad

exo: a lot of comps come with the extra 4+ connector now but they're the ones with decent video cards already

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on