As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battlefield 2 - 1.5 beta is out!

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    What the fuck is this Falcon thing in the controls? I can't fly anything with the joystick now. It always overrides it.

bombardier on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Have a lot of servers switched to the beta patch? I'd love to re-install it and play it again, especially with proper widescreen support (although apparently not so proper?).

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    bombardier wrote: »
    What the fuck is this Falcon thing in the controls? I can't fly anything with the joystick now. It always overrides it.

falconnew6010874.jpg

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

falconnew6010874.jpg
    Ugh, we have one of those at work. It was an interesting concept, but it broke easily.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That is an odd looking contraption. It replaces joysticks? How does it work?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    desdinovadesdinova Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That is an odd looking contraption. It replaces joysticks? How does it work?

Those style of controllers I think were really developed to replace the old orb and 3D "mice" for manipulating CAD objects and such. I was amazed when they announced the thing as a gaming contraption.

desdinova on
    wat
  • Options
    ElosElos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Cool, when Forgotten Hope team starts releasing something other than boring desert maps I'll be in gaming heaven. FH2 would have been so fucking awesome if they had started from the eastern front or normandy, I know tons of people that dropped the mod because of the boring maps.

Oh well, original FH still has enough players to keep me entertained. I can't live without a daily dose of Tiger hunting with my trusty T-34.

Elos on
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i was digging around to find this when some of my friends were talking about BF heroes...which does suck btw... I stopped playing BF2 when the infamous patch came out (1.4 i think it was?), it literally broke 10x as many things as it fixed. and they did break the community up by releasing those retarded booster packs. the first expansion was ok i thought, but EA just has no clue how to actually do... anything.... except sports games, but those are easy (update stats, release the same game as last year, ????, profit!)

200682111352yourcon.gif

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So this is free?

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    fmz65 wrote: »
    So this is free?

It's a patch... Why wouldn't it be?
    Elos wrote:
    Oh well, original FH still has enough players to keep me entertained. I can't live without a daily dose of Tiger hunting with my trusty T-34.

When I downloaded the original Forgotten Hope not too long ago, like a month ago, no one seemed to be playing at all. But you're telling me people do still play? I had to mess around in single-player matches, and it was awesome, but it'd love to see how it would play out online.

Dashui on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    dav3yb wrote: »
    i was digging around to find this when some of my friends were talking about BF heroes...which does suck btw... I stopped playing BF2 when the infamous patch came out (1.4 i think it was?), it literally broke 10x as many things as it fixed. and they did break the community up by releasing those retarded booster packs. the first expansion was ok i thought, but EA just has no clue how to actually do... anything.... except sports games, but those are easy (update stats, release the same game as last year, ????, profit!)

200682111352yourcon.gif

I don't like the seemingly random drops with BFH, but to be fair it is a beta.. what do you expect?

I think Google is guilty of this idea that betas are okay in peoples minds, people need to be reminded that a beta is not a final release and there are often serious bugs in betas.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »

I don't like the seemingly random drops with BFH, but to be fair it is a beta.. what do you expect?

I think Google is guilty of this idea that betas are okay in peoples minds, people need to be reminded that a beta is not a final release and there are often serious bugs in betas.

quake live beta had almost no issues from what i saw.

even now its open beta... and it still works about as good as any beta i've ever played... a beta should always be playable... getting massive lag spikes and dropping every 5 minutes isnt playable. EA just doesnt know shit about games... ive stopped giving them any benefit of doubt once they fucked up BF2. The last game i picked up from them was BF2142 (to play with friends more than enjoyment of the game), and ive come to find out it has issues on vista (graphical issues that cause it to be unplayable). To be honest, i find it completely unacceptable and i have no idea why someone would want to subject themselves to their bullshit.

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »

quake live beta had almost no issues from what i saw.

even now its open beta... and it still works about as good as any beta i've ever played... a beta should always be playable... getting massive lag spikes and dropping every 5 minutes isnt playable. EA just doesnt know shit about games... ive stopped giving them any benefit of doubt once they fucked up BF2. The last game i picked up from them was BF2142 (to play with friends more than enjoyment of the game), and ive come to find out it has issues on vista (graphical issues that cause it to be unplayable). To be honest, i find it completely unacceptable and i have no idea why someone would want to subject themselves to their bullshit.

Quake Live != Battlefield Heroes. Programs vary in their bugginess and the visibility to users bugs. A beta by its very definition isn't always playable because it's a beta. As to EA and games, they have a bit of a problem with corporate culture like all big companies in that you'll get some things designed by committee, this is why some of their more better games are created by some of the smaller studios they've bought out.

As to 2142, frankly I never liked it. You can bet dollars to pesos, or pesos to dollars depending on the current currency rates.. that for example the idea of putting in-game advertising was most definitely not the idea of DICE but of some corporate middle manager at EA.

I personally think all these network issues are possibly the fault of the people hosting the servers, I would hazard a guess they've got perhaps one too many instances of BFH running on a server. Plus, because you can't choose the server you want to play on kind of makes you screwed for choice in regards to playing on servers you know and trust to deliver a good time.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

falconnew6010874.jpg

my friend has one of those. its kinda neat but doesn't work with anything

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I only had fun in BF2 when both teams were highly coordinated and used voice chat.

Which was never the case.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I only had fun in BF2 when both teams were highly coordinated and used voice chat.

haha... it was so hard to find a team that would actually break into squads and use them effectively. it wasn't even funny how quick the round was over when one team would do that and the other was still running around with 20 SNIPAHS, and idiots whoring the heli/planes.

dav3yb on
  • Options
    TharghorTharghor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So.. what server are we gonna play on?

Tharghor on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Is it just me or didn't Battlefield 2 have a dvd check before? (maybe they removed it in 1.5 or 1.4... its been ages since I last played it)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I used to play on a 8v8 BF2142 server, which was great because my PC at the time couldn't handle the big maps very well.

But yeah, it was a very different game from 64 player BF. There's a lot better coordination because things get so condensed.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This was the last game I actually took part in the competitive clan scene in. Great times. When finals are over come next week, I'll reinstall, if there's still interest around here.

Also, I honestly don't see what's so hard about flying with kb/m. But then, I flew like a pigeon on crack the few times I gave a joystick a whirl.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just kept repeating..
    "Helicopters cannot fly upside down! Helicopters cannot fly upside down! Helicopters cannot fly upside down! Helicopters cannot fly upside down! Helicopters cannot fly upside down! Helicopters cannot fly upside down! Helicopters cannot fly upside down! Helicopters cannot fly upside down! Helicopters cannot fly upside down! Helicopters cannot fly upside down! Helicopters cannot fly upside down! Helicopters cannot fly upside down! Helicopters cannot fly upside down! HELICOPTERS CANNOT FLY UPSIDE-OHHH SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTT"

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Texas TeamPlayers is the only server I really play on nowadays. Squadding up is actually enforced, and there are lots of resident clans with good squad leaders and commanders. The players are good, if not great, which can be a problem at times when you're getting destroyed, but at least they're rather honorable; you don't see much bunny-hopping or other bull here.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    TTODewback wrote: »
    I just kept repeating..
    "Helicopters cannot fly upside down! Helicopters cannot fly upside down! Helicopters cannot fly upside down! Helicopters cannot fly upside down! Helicopters cannot fly upside down! Helicopters cannot fly upside down! Helicopters cannot fly upside down! Helicopters cannot fly upside down! Helicopters cannot fly upside down! Helicopters cannot fly upside down! Helicopters cannot fly upside down! Helicopters cannot fly upside down! Helicopters cannot fly upside down! HELICOPTERS CANNOT FLY UPSIDE-OHHH SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTT"

Well, some helicopters can fly upside down, just not for any kind of long time what with the blades driving it toward the ground and everything...

The Lynx for example

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Texas TeamPlayers is the only server I really play on nowadays. Squadding up is actually enforced, and there are lots of resident clans with good squad leaders and commanders. The players are good, if not great, which can be a problem at times when you're getting destroyed, but at least they're rather honorable; you don't see much bunny-hopping or other bull here.

My interest has been piqued.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Did that patch break the game for anyone else? When I try to start it, I just get a black screen for a few seconds before it crashes and goes back to the desktop.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Did that patch break the game for anyone else? When I try to start it, I just get a black screen for a few seconds before it crashes and goes back to the desktop.

I had this problem, I installed the game, patched to retail (1.41 or soemthing), then the beta patch, then updated punkbuster manually and I'm golden.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I just kept repeating..

haha... i saw the most insane shit with helicopters... people would barrel roll in em, and do what i think most people referred to as tornado spins... pointing the nose up and making it spin around in a cyclone type motion...

sadly the only people who ever flew the heli's were assholes...

dav3yb on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just kept repeating..

haha... i saw the most insane shit with helicopters... people would barrel roll in em, and do what i think most people referred to as tornado spins... pointing the nose up and making it spin around in a cyclone type motion...

sadly the only people who ever flew the heli's were assholes...

One of the cooler things helo pilots can do when solo is quickly switch to the gunner's seat, fire a TV guided missile, and then switch back to pilot seat after it hits. Switching out of the pilot seat like that will cause the helo to spin clockwise and ascend, so as long as you aren't in tight quarters, or have AA on you, it is pretty safe to do. Course, having an actual gunner who knows what he's doing is best, but on the rare occasions no one wants to fly with you, it can come in handy.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    LingxorLingxor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think I'll come back to this.

I tried the BF Heroes beta and it just feels like an experiment by EA to find out if people will pay money to buy a helmet for their avatar.

Lingxor on
  • Options
    desdinovadesdinova Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Lingxor wrote: »
    I tried the BF Heroes beta and it just feels like an experiment by EA to find out if people will pay money to buy a helmet for their avatar.

Yeah, it feels, plays and glitches like a korean MMO. Welcome to the future of gaming D:

desdinova on
    wat
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    desdinova wrote: »
    Lingxor wrote: »

Yeah, it feels, plays and glitches like a korean MMO. Welcome to the future of gaming D:

Spend your fun points on this better weapon you only have access to for three days! You want to use it more? BUY MORE POINTS TO USE IT AGAIN!

I got into the beta for this about a week ago. I tried about three rounds and haven't looked back. It's... not really all that fun.

Dashui on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Did they add in widescreen support, or does it still lack that?

Either way, I think I might reinstall this. We should get a Game On thread going.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The 1.5 beta added widescreen.

Strikor on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hmm, i've been messing around and has anyone noticed that their settings keep getting reset?

My secondary key bindings to get rid of that stupid falcon thing got reset, English voice over got reset, as did my disabling of voip as well as a bunch of other things.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Strikor wrote: »
    The 1.5 beta added widescreen.

I am now reinstalling Battlefield 2.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    so I wanted to join you guys in the BF2 necromancy, but I guess Vista 64 users are shit out of luck. Their tech support just says "olol run in XP compatability mode" but it doesn't work. . .

I get assert errors then fail whenever I start up :_(

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    so I wanted to join you guys in the BF2 necromancy, but I guess Vista 64 users are shit out of luck. Their tech support just says "olol run in XP compatability mode" but it doesn't work. . .

I get assert errors then fail whenever I start up :_(

I am running BF2 1.5 (and previously 1.41) on Vista 64-bit without issue.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    shit. . . I didn't apply 1.41 before I applied 1.5, that's probably the issue right?

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    shit. . . I didn't apply 1.41 before I applied 1.5, that's probably the issue right?

Very likely. You will also want to update punkbuster.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    arg, shame on me for assuming the lastest patch could patch from scratch. . .

acidlacedpenguin on