As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battlefield 2 - 1.5 beta is out!

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Okay, one comment and two questions:

Comment: Bronc, thanks for the advice to go to 1.41 and then 1.5, saved me some headaches

Question #1: What expansion packs are needed these days? I only ever got the core game and special forces. I never purchased those smaller packs. Should I?

Question #2: We need some OP love with some servers we can get on.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DS I'm pretty sure for the majority of servers all you need are vanilla BF2. I think most people bought the expansion packs just for the perceived leg-up against vanilla players when it comes to the expansion weapon sets.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I fucking loved bf2. I'm going to reinstall when I get home.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I fired it back up, new map is kind of cool, and I find I am a much better player than I used to be. I'd forgotten the true pleasure that can be derived from running around with that tommy gun look-alike shotgun.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Question #1: What expansion packs are needed these days? I only ever got the core game and special forces. I never purchased those smaller packs. Should I?

You're unlikely to find many servers running them, so I wouldn't. Highway Tampa from Armored Fury will become a regular map once the patch is released, too. I wouldn't be surprised if they released the others eventually.

Skexis on
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I tend to join any server with 15+ people. There are usually 3 that are at least that full. Even at ungodly hours.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Anyone else getting some batshit crazy audio issues?

I've got a Creative X-Fi and well... check out this...

BZZZZZZZTTT

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Anyone else getting some batshit crazy audio issues?

I've got a Creative X-Fi and well... check out this...

I used to get those all the time with my 2ZS. A driver update stopped it. Maybe it's the same for the X-Fi?

Kreutz on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Battlefield 2 and 2142 do not play well with the Creative X-Fi cards, it seems. If you have Vista, forget about even being able to play the games with the soundcard enabled. Those games always crash if I try to join a game or load certain menus with the X-Fi. I always have to go to soundboard audio to fix it. That's probably your best solution.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think it speaks volumes that we are all willing to endure such extraneous bullshit to enjoy this game. Shame the license and the studio had to fall into EA's hands.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    I fired it back up, new map is kind of cool, and I find I am a much better player than I used to be. I'd forgotten the true pleasure that can be derived from running around with that tommy gun look-alike shotgun.

That's probably because of the improved hit boxes. Last time I played BF2 it was incredibly frustrating that I couldn't kill anyone in a 1v1.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    ElosElos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    When I downloaded the original Forgotten Hope not too long ago, like a month ago, no one seemed to be playing at all. But you're telling me people do still play? I had to mess around in single-player matches, and it was awesome, but it'd love to see how it would play out online.

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/87.106.185.54:14567/
    http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/85.214.86.156:14567/

These have pretty healthy player amounts in EU primetime. Wolfgaming used to be the shit in the US and some of us europeans used to play during the long wait for release of 0.5(or was it 0.4) but now it's dead. FH used to have nice spikes in player amounts when new a new versions were released but that's gone too.

Which is very sad since the original Forgotten Hope is easily the best online FPS I've played hands down, the best balance between realism and FUN ever It was so awesome that even the flaming piece of dogshit of an engine didn't bother me much.

FH2 has the potential to be even better but it will take years to get the content done. And because of all the damn americans eastern front will be postponed so they can relive their nations glory days for the millionth time in circlejerk-normandy. Normandy is so boring, I want to once again hunt overconfident Tigers with my trusty SU-76 and see the endless whining, cursing and ragequits fill the chatlog. Good times. 8-)

EDIT: oh snap derail rant.

Elos on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ugh, anyone know where can I torrent the patch? Or a direct link to a download not in Europe/Fileplanet?

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    so I re-re-installed, then installed SF, then v1.41, then v1.5 and it now works!

I tried to connect to what looked like a north american server but it would just boot me back to server browser. . . then I tried the next populated server (in the UK) and it worked for awhile until I got kicked to server browser. . . but it was probably because of high ping.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How solid are the balance changes in 1.5? "lol jets = u r dead" killed BF2 for me, has that dramatically changed? I don't want to dig out my old discs for nothing...

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    How solid are the balance changes in 1.5? "lol jets = u r dead" killed BF2 for me, has that dramatically changed? I don't want to dig out my old discs for nothing...

Hard to say, I've only played 1.5 today and frankly I'm horribly out of practice.. to think I used to be in the top 100 snipers in the world at BF2...

Plus, the 1.5 servers haven't been particularly filled up.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    so I re-re-installed, then installed SF, then v1.41, then v1.5 and it now works!

I tried to connect to what looked like a north american server but it would just boot me back to server browser. . . then I tried the next populated server (in the UK) and it worked for awhile until I got kicked to server browser. . . but it was probably because of high ping.

Update punkbuster if you haven't. Sometimes, I get this too, I just retry a few times and it works out most of the time.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Finally got all patched last night, really liking the native widescreen support. However, as I was waiting for 1.5b to finish downloading, I was trying to play 1.41 on Vista 64... boots ok, and I can play single player fine, but I keep getting booted from servers anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes into a game. I was getting "Insufficent O/S privlileges" so I tried running as Administrator. Now I just get a different error. Any ideas?

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fucking christ I couldn't get this shit to run on my machine last night. It kept finishing loading the map, then the loading screen turns black and i'm sent back to the desktop

I installed bf2, then booster pack. Loaded a map. Crash.
    Installed special forces. Loaded a map. Crash.
    Installed v1.41. Loaded a map. Crash
    Installed v1.5. Loaded a map. Crash

I'm running on vista32. If you guys have any suggestions for what I should run, the order I should run it in, which things I should "run as administrator" (i didn't try running the install disks as administrator), and whether or not UAC should be turned on, that would be MIGHTY HELPFUL.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    try: not saying this'll work for you but I was running it fine yesterday for 2+ hours on vista 64 and I have UAC turned off. I highly recommend you have either antivirus, a really good firewall, or near 24/7 knowledge of what's in memory and what processes are active if you turn UAC off.

catch: I don't want to turn this into a vista discussion, but I think the UAC will do more harm than good, simply training users to "click the ok button when that funny looking window pops up" instead of training them to say "hrmm, what am I trying to do and does it make sense for me to give it full administrator rights?"

finally: I'm not meaning to scare anyone but I'm mainly attempting to pre-empt the "turning off UAC is wrong and evil" crowd.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Make sure you manually update punkbuster Nick, I kept getting kicked from maps and that was the problem.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for the tips. I'll try again tonight. I think I'll start with seeing if a vanilla bf2 install can even load.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for the tips. I'll try again tonight. I think I'll start with seeing if a vanilla bf2 install can even load.

I don't think punkbuster is your problem. That would just kick you back to the main menu, not to the desktop. And usually you could play for a minute or so before punkbuster alerts you and kicks you.

I had the same problem as you for Battlefield 2 and 2142 when on Vista. It was because of my Creative soundcard. Battlefield HATES the combination of Vista and Creative and will crash you to the desktop every time you load a map or even some menus. If you have a Creative soundcard, that's probably your answer to why you're crashing. The solution is to disable card and go through the motherboard for audio.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I don't think punkbuster is your problem. That would just kick you back to the main menu, not to the desktop. And usually you could play for a minute or so before punkbuster alerts you and kicks you.

I had the same problem as you for Battlefield 2 and 2142 when on Vista. It was because of my Creative soundcard. Battlefield HATES the combination of Vista and Creative and will crash you to the desktop every time you load a map or even some menus. If you have a Creative soundcard, that's probably your answer to why you're crashing. The solution is to disable card and go through the motherboard for audio.

Fucking chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiist.

I've never actually tried anything like that before. Can you give me a quick rundown on how to disable hardware without unplugging it? Is it as simple as disabling it from the device manager?

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I'm not so sure about this: I have an xFi and I can play the game fine, but I am having the crash to browser thing, which leads me to believe it's PB.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I've never actually tried anything like that before. Can you give me a quick rundown on how to disable hardware without unplugging it? Is it as simple as disabling it from the device manager?

You likely have to disable it from device manager and then reboot.
    I am looking forward to getting back into this. I played the crap out of the demo (lo, these many years ago) and bought the full version about 6 months ago to play with my cousin. Adding widescreen support will probably win me back and put a dent in my TF2 playtime.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I guess I was right. God damn Creative! :P

You can do it from the Device Manager, and then all you need to is plug in your audio cable into the motherboard. You could probably disable the Creative card from the sound window, too, but just to be extra sure I usually just disable the soundcard entirely through the Device Manager. Creative still hasn't gotten their drivers up to snuff and they has usually been the cause of every single problem I have with games.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I'm not so sure about this: I have an xFi and I can play the game fine, but I am having the crash to browser thing, which leads me to believe it's PB.

I don't think PB would cause the entire game to crash, though. Would it?

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    This creative thing is a pain in the ass because I use my creative card for my audio recording inputs. Is there anyway they can coexist?

I'm at work right now, so I can't test it until I get home.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    They can't co-exist per say. I have to disable my creative E-mu card to play bf2 as well. I just do it from the sound manager, but Windows won't be able to load both sound drivers, or at least wouldn't for me. I've ended up just disabling and re-enabling whichever sound driver I need to use. Sucks, but it works.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    This creative thing is a pain in the ass because I use my creative card for my audio recording inputs. Is there anyway they can coexist?

I just changed the audio to use software in the BF2 audio settings and it seemed to sort it out ok.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »

I just changed the audio to use software in the BF2 audio settings and it seemed to sort it out ok.

Now that I think about it, I seem to remember bf2 fucking crashing when I went to audio settings last night while trying to play it.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Did they fix the half hour it takes me to join a game?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Urgh, just got reminded why I stopped playing.. dropping artillery on uncaps.. When you're the USMC on Wake.

On the plus side, some of the old skills to pay the bills are returning. I got a headshot from half the map away almost outside of drawing distance.

Spoilered for h-rape (1680x1050).. an example of what it looks like widescreen:
    BF2-1.5beta.jpg

Note the text and map seem squished.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I disabled my creative card, used onboard sound, and a vanilla install started up a single player game just fine

I patched to 1.5, now the game crashes before it even gets to the EA games logo.

I can't win.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I found that with the 1.5 patch I skip the EA and dice logos completely and go directly to the account select screen. Did you install 1.41 first?

Also I had a blast playing on one of the north american servers that's updated to 1.5. I died a tonne but I also got two medals.

edit: apparently one ribbon and one medal; meritous unit ribbon (26m of squad play and 40 team points) and a purple heart. i am totally devaluing the real contributions of real soldiers who get real medals wooooo

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I disabled my creative card, used onboard sound, and a vanilla install started up a single player game just fine

I patched to 1.5, now the game crashes before it even gets to the EA games logo.

I can't win.

Install 1.41 before 1.5.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    1.5 still makes me sit through the logos. Are you sure you didn't just delete the movies? Either way thanks for making me remember I could do that!

Strikor on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Strikor wrote: »
    1.5 still makes me sit through the logos. Are you sure you didn't just delete the movies? Either way thanks for making me remember I could do that!

I have no idea how it happened. It may have been because I have a 'no dvd' patch (for my legally acquired game, thanks so much).

Actually I'm kind of surprised that the patch worked with the altered dvd.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Strikor wrote: »

I have no idea how it happened. It may have been because I have a 'no dvd' patch (for my legally acquired game, thanks so much).

Actually I'm kind of surprised that the patch worked with the altered dvd.

If you browse to the program dirtectory for BF2, then down itno the bf2 subfolder, you will find another folder with some video files in it (*.bik?) Basically, rename them.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png