As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Disney classics appreciation thread (NSF56K)

• Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Do we really need a Toy Story 3 or Cars 2?

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Toxic Toys wrote: »

nyet.

logic7 on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cars makes them a ton of cash of of merchandising. Probably the most profitable Pixar film ever. Can't fault them for making it.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cars makes them a ton of cash of of merchandising. Probably the most profitable Pixar film ever. Can't fault them for making it.

can't front. my 5 year old son has a Cars comforter, pillow, clothes, sleeping bag, cars, the whole nine.

logic7 on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Incredibles will never be on there, because it's subversive. Same goes for the Iron Giant, both Brad Bird movies to boot. I mean, how can they support the message that *gasp* it's OK to be different, and that there are actually people out there better than everyone else? Honestly, I'm surprised Disney ever even OK'd The Incredibles, but I'm guessing it had more to do with the mountains of money they knew they were going to make than the message of the movie.
    Uhm, the message I got from The Incredibles is that even superhumans are decidedly human in their feelings and mistakes.

Aldo on
  • Options
    RabidrabbitRabidrabbit Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Incredibles is, in my opinion, THE best animation film i have seen. I don't understand the popularity of Cars, they should be working on a sequel to that amazing story and not the blandness that is Cars.

Rabidrabbit on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Is it weird that I don't want any sequels? Incredibles was a story that had a start and an end, adding more to that will always be less cool than the original.

Now, another story set in the same setting has my approval. With different main characters, mind.

Aldo on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Well, Toy Story 2 was better than the first, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that a third one could be good.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Life is a highway...

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    The Incredibles will never be on there, because it's subversive. Same goes for the Iron Giant, both Brad Bird movies to boot. I mean, how can they support the message that *gasp* it's OK to be different, and that there are actually people out there better than everyone else? Honestly, I'm surprised Disney ever even OK'd The Incredibles, but I'm guessing it had more to do with the mountains of money they knew they were going to make than the message of the movie.
    Uhm, the message I got from The Incredibles is that even superhumans are decidedly human in their feelings and mistakes.
    Syndrome's line "And when everyone is super, no one will be" pretty much sums up the whole movie though. I mean the entire premise was that the country told the Supers to go away and 'be normal', when in fact there really is a need for people who are better at certain things than others, and there's nothing wrong with not being as good at something as someone else is.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

No. But, I'm not going to say no to Toy Story 3. They're a lot of fun, and the second one was better than the first. Plus, Pixar has a policy that they don't make sequels unless they have an idea that is as rock solid or better than the original. So, I have high hopes.

As for Cars. . .well, Cars is tied for my least favorite Pixar movie, so I'm meh on a sequel. It wasn't bad, just not as good as the others. Plus, Paul Newman's gone and he was the best part of the movie, so. . .I dunno.

Lynx on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cars is just Doc Hollywood anyway.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Plus, they're making that whole new area in california adventures dedicated to Cars, which will probably open about the same time for ridiculous cross-promotion synergies. But really, they based a whole area around A Bugs Life? Is it possible to find a more obscure pixar movie?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I will never find a top ten animated films list to be credible when it contains not a single work by Hayao Miyazaki.

MrMister on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    For sure, I didn't think about the lack of spirited away on that list. Clearly the AFI has different priorities than me.

Also, what makes you guys feel Toy Story 2 was better than the first? I have never really thought about it, but I remember it having more of a mature theme, but I don't know that it was better than the first. I loved em both. Maybe I should go rewatch them.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh, and also I heart ratatoulli.

I don't think I even spelled that right, but I would say that ties for me with Finding Nemo for Pixar films.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Has anyone posted this yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mQHr8bAojU

For some reason I have vivid memories of watching this as a kid, but I don't remember when. Pretty good though.

Food on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That is some brilliant animation.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Awesome.

It's funny how these characters usually have a few pages in the Dutch Donald Duck magazine. Especially Scrooge, the 3 nephews, Gyro Gearloose, Daisy, Luke Goose and Grandma Duck appear almost weekly and characters like Joe, the Beagle Boys, Clarabelle Cow and (in the Dutch version her husband) Horace Horsecollar appear bi-weekly.

Also, Br'er Bear, Fox and Rabbit from Song of the South appear very often. The characters are completely ripped out of their original setting, though. They're just a dumb bear, angry fox and smart rabbit trying to fighting and of course the rabbit always wins by turning the other two against each other.

Aldo on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Does anyone remember a disney channel live action show about a teenage-ish guy and his robot? I think they were like making a TV show in his basement or something.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, this thread brings me back. I still love Robin Hood, even though I recognize now that it's not a very good movie, and was made in kind of a half-assed way. Still, it kept the animation studio afloat, and that's what counted.

On the other hand, Rescuers was awesome. No idea why people here didn't like it; I watched it last year and it holds up pretty well. It ranks with Lion King and Aladdin as my favorites that are legitimately great movies.

I haven't seen Bolt, I might try to subliminally influence my sister into putting it on our Blockbuster queue. Then watch it in the dead of night when I don't have to be ashamed.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    <3 Bad Kitty

The Hunchback of Notre Dame is such a fantastic movie, among all the Disney classics that one has a special place in my heart because of the damn near perfect atmosphere.
    Atmosphere always grabs me more than anything.

It is the *only* movie to date that after watching it, I *immediately* watched it again.
    No other movie has managed to give me that urge, not even Shawshank Redemption that I consider my favorite movie.

I'd say it's closely followed by Aladdin, although Lion King is so wonderful it's hard to choose. My siblings watched Aladdin all the time, and since the animated series is so magnificent as well, I think I like Aladdin slightly more.

It's also supported by the fact that Genie may be my favorite character in any movie animated or not. Joe Hallenbeck from The Last Boy Scout comes to mind as a contender.

Paragon on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6DmEgtibOg

Full trailer for The Princess and the Frog

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That looks really good, definitely something that would've fit in next to The Lion King or Beauty and the Beast. I'll see it.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm a bit late to the party, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yJnvv_R2rk

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov4tE7XRTUA

are two of my favorite disney songs. They're so good.

Tale As Old As Time is just a good song beyond the fact that it's Disney, and it's got great scenes along with it.

And Be Our Guest? They're just so happy.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh god, the youtube comments on that Princess and the Frog trailer are amazing.

Specifically this one:
    nithr wrote:
    the disney i grew up with didnt feature black characters. and the "prince" or whatever he is doesn't even look black, just brown skin and black hair.

i wonder how the characters looked before obama won...

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Oh god, the youtube comments on that Princess and the Frog trailer are amazing.

Specifically this one:
    http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/7981

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Aldo you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I guess it's been a while since we had a film about a princess (so long that there are kids who've never seen a film about a princess in theaters), but this still seems like a retread of earlier concepts to me.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I guess it's been a while since we had a film about a princess (so long that there are kids who've never seen a film about a princess in theaters), but this still seems like a retread of earlier concepts to me.
    Like a mix of Cinderella and Shrek.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Like a mix of Cinderella and Shrek.
    It looks like it's much less of a princess finding "twu wove" thing and more of a princess being an actual protagonist thing.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Aren't pretty much all disney movies a retread of earlier stuff?

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I meant earlier Disney stuff.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well, the setting is pretty different. I dunno. . .the Princess movies are some of the best Disney movie out there. So, I really can't complain.

We're also getting Rapunzel right after this.

Lynx on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    What is the setting anyway? New Orleans reimagined as a kingdom?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

By my understanding its New Orleans in 20's. The trailer does look really lovely artwise, but I somehow feel that voice actors are wrong for their characters.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    elkatas wrote: »

By my understanding its New Orleans in 20's. The trailer does look really lovely artwise, but I somehow feel that voice actors are wrong for their characters.

Yep. Tiana is just a resident of New Orleans and the prince comes from another country. No "fantasy" version of New Orleans or anything like that.

Lynx on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So she isn't a princess, despite the name?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So she isn't a princess, despite the name?

From everything I've read, no. She's just a waitress. But, my guess is we find out she's actually a princess at the end of the movie.

Lynx on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I imagine she becomes some form of princess. But 'Disney Princess' has come to mean 'female disney protagonist'. Mulan is considered a Disney Princess, for instance.

yalborap on