As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Disney classics appreciation thread (NSF56K)

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I guess she's dressed like a princess for a costume party, then. That clears things up.

Robos A Go Go on
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    New Orleans, right? I'm guessing it's some variation on the King's Cake. Princess for a day or week or something.

Jimothy on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This is pretty original for a Disney movie, we don't even know whats going on.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    yalborap wrote: »
    I imagine she becomes some form of princess. But 'Disney Princess' has come to mean 'female disney protagonist'. Mulan is considered a Disney Princess, for instance.

Mulan is a Disney Princess? Not on my kids lunchbox she is. I think she is more of a Disney lady in waiting...
    prns_lunch_purple_2008.jpg

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, you ladies pose for a lunchbox photo. Mulan will be elsewhere, killing Huns

Robos A Go Go on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Disney Princess is a Walt Disney Company franchise, based on fictional characters who have been featured as part of the Disney character line-up. The main eight are: Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Pocahontas, and Mulan[1]. Disney recently announced that new Princesses would be added: Tiana, from their 2009 animated feature The Princess and the Frog, will join the ranks of Disney Princesses and also Rapunzel from the computer animated film [2][3].

Fencingsax on
  • ZiaxoolZiaxool Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I dunno if this would be the most appropiate place to ask this, but it's been itching me for so long I'm starting to lose my mind.

Is anyone familiar with a Disney short about what I remember to be kitchen utensils coming alive and beeing tormented by a green Pan/Devil figure? I have a really fuzzy memory of it from way back, but I can't quite place it.

Ziaxool on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I swear that alligater is right out of All Dogs Go To Heaven.

Big_Lipped_Alligator.jpg

...who apparently has his own TV trope. The Big lipped alligator moment.

who knew.

chamberlain on
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ziaxool wrote: »
    Is anyone familiar with a Disney short about what I remember to be kitchen utensils coming alive and beeing tormented by a green Pan/Devil figure? I have a really fuzzy memory of it from way back, but I can't quite place it.

Fantasia? Sorry, I don't have slightest clue.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • ZiaxoolZiaxool Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    elkatas wrote: »
    Fantasia? Sorry, I don't have slightest clue.
    That was my first thought too, but unfortunately not. :(
    Thanks for the help anyway! :)

I think it was a musical animation though.

Ziaxool on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I swear that alligater is right out of All Dogs Go To Heaven.

Big_Lipped_Alligator.jpg

who knew.

Nostalgia Critic brought many things to us, one of which is the Big Lipped Alligator Moment.

yalborap on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Princess and the Frog looks pretty fantastic.

Will be the first non Pixar Disney move I see in theaters since Home on the Range (which was meh). Because I'm totally going to see it.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

who knew.

Damn it all, don't link to TV Tropes. Some of us want to sleep tonight.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Starcross wrote: »
    Duffel wrote: »
    Why the hell are disney movies out of print? I would think that they're the definition of a product that the demand never goes down (since people are always having kids).

They take them out of print so they can charge more for them when they're in print.

And so they can make a huge stupid deal about it every time they open the "Disney Vault."
    This and this.

GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAA DISNEY

You know what movie I want? Ocean's 14. Wherein a cartoonified Clooney teams up with disney characters to raid the Disney Vault and distribute awesome movies to kids. The real life result of which is that the Disney Vault is done away with and I can actually buy the movies.

HappylilElf on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Der Furher's Face is my favorite Disney thing ever, aside from the Little Mermaid.

Did anyone post The Little Match girl yet? It is good times (through depressing means).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUSzQBaWq0Q

I was also depressed to learn that it was supposed to be a short included on the now shelved Fantasia 2006.

Booo.

The first time I saw this, I picked up something (I forget what) and threw it across the room. Way to completely depress me in under 10 minutes. :(
    HenryVape wrote: »
    MacGuffin wrote: »
    edit: And now that I've read through the thread, The Great Mouse Detective is an extremely awesome but under recognized film. Amazing.

1:27 is a bit scandalous (I always thought she was saying "I'll take of all my clothes" when I was little) (apparently it's "blues")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqk7c4JMtHM

edit: Even Stevens! Helllll yes.

You might have noticed that she is only wearing blue clothes so, yeah:P.

I remember being confused and slightly embarrased when i watched that scene with my parents when i was 10 years old. Im not sure if my mind was really able to process just what kind of show the female mouse was doing.

Regarding goofy and his son, i think i read somewhere that max mother is goofys wife in the goofy shorts made in the 50s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym8u94MitRc&feature=related

No ones posted Runaway brain yet? I remember watching it so much that the tape got worn out.

This is the best Mickey related thing I've seen in years. If Disney had continued making shorts like that, I wouldn't be slamming them nearly as much these days.

Julius should be a Kingdom Hearts boss.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I read to page 11 and in it I haven't seen the best disney cartoon (series) posted yet, so here you go.

Anyone who disagrees is clearly wrong. So don't bother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJmWyZlW2sE

Anyways, my favorite Disney movies are Pete's Dragon, Aladdin, Lion King, Robin Hood, Snow White, Sword in the Stone, Tarzan, and Brother Bear.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    We're posting shorts now?

A year or so ago, Disney made a new Goofy short and put it in front of one of the National Treasure movies, of all things. Remember those awesome "how to" Goofy shorts of yore? Well, it's hand-drawn, retro-themed (though it does fantastic justice to the modern subject matter) and titled... How to Hook Up Your Home Theater.

If you're wondering if it's hilarious (and for some reason didn't immediately click when you read it's a "how to," let me just tell you this: there is a chainsaw involved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkh3jHNc4Ls

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Has anyone seen those "Tow Mater" Cars shorts? They've started sporadically playing them on Disney Channel.

They're pretty damn funny.

Tach on
    edited May 2009
    Oooooh, I forgot about Runaway Brain. If you ever wanted to see what Mickey Mouse would be like on rabies, watch it. Surprisingly good stuff.

cloudeagle on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    We're posting shorts now?

A year or so ago, Disney made a new Goofy short and put it in front of one of the National Treasure movies, of all things. Remember those awesome "how to" Goofy shorts of yore? Well, it's hand-drawn, retro-themed (though it does fantastic justice to the modern subject matter) and titled... How to Hook Up Your Home Theater.

If you're wondering if it's hilarious (and for some reason didn't immediately click when you read it's a "how to," let me just tell you this: there is a chainsaw involved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkh3jHNc4Ls
    I really like that short. The animation has the classic feel, the timing of the gags is great. But I just can't get over the feeling I'm being subliminally messaged into buying a new, huge, expensive home theater system.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited May 2009
    I really like that short. The animation has the classic feel, the timing of the gags is great. But I just can't get over the feeling I'm being subliminally messaged into buying a new, huge, expensive home theater system.

Same here. Some of the gags were actually pretty true to life.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    EWom wrote: »
    I read to page 11 and in it I haven't seen the best disney cartoon (series) posted yet, so here you go.

Anyone who disagrees is clearly wrong. So don't bother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJmWyZlW2sE

Anyways, my favorite Disney movies are Pete's Dragon, Aladdin, Lion King, Robin Hood, Snow White, Sword in the Stone, Tarzan, and Brother Bear.

Gummi Bears is the best show.

It will definitely be something my kids will get to watch over and over. I visited my friend about a year ago and he has the entire thing on DVD, when I saw it on his shelf I became giddy like a schoolgirl.

We watched it, and I couldn't believe how much fun it is even at my age. That's not to say that age always tends to ruin these things, but some old kids shows do get a little less actually lol-worthy in contrast to the regular nostalgic-smiles. Oh no sir, I laughed out loud to Gummi Bears, several times per episode.

I need to order it one of these days.

Paragon on
  • Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Disney has a significant lack of good cartoon shows now. They are full of pre-teen shows now with bad actors. :( Makes me miss the old days. I didn't realize Gummy Bears was even on DVD. I will have to pick it up

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2009
    So were they made of candy or live in a candy forest or what?

Robos A Go Go on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Disney has a significant lack of good cartoon shows now. They are full of pre-teen shows now with bad actors. :( Makes me miss the old days. I didn't realize Gummy Bears was even on DVD. I will have to pick it up

Phineas and Ferb is pretty cool. But yeah, there aren't as many TV gems from Disney anymore.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
    edited May 2009
    So were they made of candy or live in a candy forest or what?

Nope. The only recurring food was "gummi berri juice," which made the bears able to bounce and gave humans super-strength.

The show is surprisingly good... while it's a comedy at heart, I remember it had a surprisingly deep mythology behind it and occasional serious adventures.

Edit: The last Disney TV show I truly enjoyed was Kim Possible. Goddamn, that was much, MUCH better than it should have been. I love me some Dr. Drakken.

cloudeagle on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Phineas and Ferb is quite good.
    If you can stomache a kids show, Little Einsteins has quite a bit of value to it and the Imagination Movers is not only fun to watch, but their music is goddamned catchy.
    My son is 16 months, I'm allowed to watch this stuff.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fillmore was a Disney thing right? That was something of a guilty pleasure of mine.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Gummi Bears and Hill Street Blues were the inspiration for Gargoyles.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like the look of the Princess and the Frog trailer. That music was pretty good.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Just watched Treasure Planet. Way better than I remember it being.

deadonthestreet on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Has there been any word when the Secret of Nimh may hit blu ray? I remember reading something about a possibility a bit back, but I'm still waiting for confirmation. It'll be a day one purchase the moment it's released.

Professor Snugglesworth on
    edited May 2009
    I just watched Basil: the Great Mouse Detective, and I must say I was surprised how well it has hold up. Dialogue was fun and I really liked how dirty the backgrounds were. You could clearly see that they were drawn with hand, and linework was sometimes very rough, but in a good way. While animation was also pretty good, it was strange to notice that in scenes where there were lots of mouses (i.e. bar fight), quality of animation degenerated often into Phoenix Games / Dingo Pictures levels. I guess nobody wanted to spent any time on group scenes that last only few seconds.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    elkatas wrote: »
    I just watched Basil: the Great Mouse Detective, and I must say I was surprised how well it has hold up. Dialogue was fun and I really liked how dirty the backgrounds were. You could clearly see that they were drawn with hand, and linework was sometimes very rough, but in a good way. While animation was also pretty good, it was strange to notice that in scenes where there were lots of mouses (i.e. bar fight), quality of animation degenerated often into Phoenix Games / Dingo Pictures levels. I guess nobody wanted to spent any time on group scenes that last only few seconds.
    There are whole sites dedicated to easter eggs hidden in Disney movies. I guess some of the artists thought that no one would pay such close attention to their work. I guess the same goes for your bar fight scene: it's supposed to happen fast and there's so much going on, no one would notice when it gets a little sloppy.

Aldo on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Finished Jungle Book, Dumbo and Fantasia.

So much respect to those guys in the 40s. Sorcerer's Apprentice and Night on Bald Mountain are still amazing.

So I'm not sure if I should keep going back in the Disney catalogue and watch Snow White or Sleeping Beauty, or if I should go ahead and watch... Uhh... all the stuff that's not Aladdin, Lion King or Beauty and the Beast.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    edited May 2009
    Finished Hercules today, and this was first time I have seen it with its original dub. It was fun to see how different finnish translation actually was, and how some Megara's dialogue was much raunchier in it. But James Wood certainly beats living hell out of his finnish counterpart. The movie itself was pretty fun, and I liked the graphical style a lot, even if it was way too clean.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm really loving this trailer right here,

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/princessandthefrog/trailer_large.html

I haven't seen much of the witch doctor in it but i'm already thinking he could be more awesome than Jafar and Scar combined. Hell, he even kinda looks like Jafar.

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Okay, let's just say there's the one tiniest most insignificant brain cell in my head that wonders on what, if any, dimension this could happen:

Disney makes a Kingdom Hearts movie, hand-animated. Oh fuck it, let's say they go for the gold and make it a trilogy.

Greatest thing ever, or biggest flop ever?

Things to consider:
    - Princess and the Frog. If it succeeds, people love Disney for their classic approach again. Also, they forget about Hannah Montana ... until she comes back as a media-zombie.
    - Rights: Honestly, would it be that bad if there weren't any Square characters in it, and Disney only manages to get the rights to characters created solely for the game series, eg, the main protagonists and antagonists?
    - Marketing: Okay, if no one's noticed that Disney has been invading Hot Topic, the kids aren't going to realize it now!

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Disney has all rights to original characters created for the Kingdom Hearts games already.

Couscous on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That could be very awesome, if done right. I'm guessing the script for it would also have to cut back on the "knowing the Heart of the Darkness that sees Light even in the Heartless"-type dialouge, so a win-win situation :^:

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!