As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Disney classics appreciation thread (NSF56K)

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would like to see it happen just to see the otaku nerd rage that would erupt cause it's not an anime.

Or we could also have an anime. Seeing the Disney characters in anime form would be pretty crazy.

Kyougu on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Maybe Disney would give it an anime-esque look, like Avatar.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh man, a Kingdom Hearts animated feature would be very difficult to pull off. You'd have to market it to both the hardcore fans, and yet at the same time make it accessible enough to bring in the casuals.

I'm...........not sure they could pull it off to be honest.

I mean, could you imagine a possible KH script that wasn't ridden with angst and all this finding Riku crap? And at the same time, if you did do a movie like that you'd be ticking off the rather large, loyal fanbase that's already been established.

Not saying it couldn't be done, but that it would take a real herculean effort on Disney's part.

Godfather on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Oh man, a Kingdom Hearts animated feature would be very difficult to pull off. You'd have to market it to both the hardcore fans, and yet at the same time make it accessible enough to bring in the casuals.

The Kingdom Hearts series has sold around 9 million copies total world wide.

I think it's popular enough for the casuals.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited May 2009
    You're missing the point here.

People who would want to come to this movie would be of all ages; kids, adults, teens, elderly, whatever. It would cover all different periods of the Disney era, and it couldn't rely on the whole "coming-of-age, slightly-emo" vibe it had going for it that started surfacing all through the second game.

You would have to write a script that would appeal to all of those demographics at once. That's quite a challenge in itself.

Godfather on
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm utterly unfamiliar with Kingdom Hearts. My conception of the games are that it's like Final Fantasy with a series of Disney cameos/supporting actors that help the anime main characters complete their quest.

So moving from that perception, if made into a film correctly, Kingdom Hearts could become the spiritual successor to Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Which can only be a good thing. You wouldn't have to market to casuals and hardcores at all. You'd just have to highlight that Mickey, Donald, and Goofy would be showing up in a movie in significant roles for the first time in roughly forever. That alone would probably be enough.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I would like to see it happen just to see the otaku nerd rage that would erupt cause it's not an anime.

Or we could also have an anime. Seeing the Disney characters in anime form would be pretty crazy.

Newsflash: Disney uses brute force and an ungodly sum of dirty money to force Studio Ghibli and director Hayao Miyazaki to produce a Kingdom Hearts animated trilogy, musical direct-to-video piece, and a short story in which Shere Kahn brutally mauls Hannah Montana.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
    edited May 2009
    Shoot, I think Miyazaki would do it strictly on the fact that his last movie kind of sucked. Want to end on a high note and all that.

I'd rather see Shun Yu butcher Hannah Montana.

Godfather on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    A Kingdom Hearts disney-made movie would be self standing.

FyreWulff on
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't really like Kingdom Hearts games. Perhaps biggest gripe is that neither Disney or Square-Enix are daring enough with the franchise. Whole integration was half-assed, and you could have had so much from the source material.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm really loving this trailer right here,

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/princessandthefrog/trailer_large.html

I haven't seen much of the witch doctor in it but i'm already thinking he could be more awesome than Jafar and Scar combined. Hell, he even kinda looks like Jafar.

Man, I saw G-force linked on that page and thought it was Disney doing a version of the anime series.

Dangit. :(

Princess and the Frog looks nice though.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    A Kingdom Hearts movie would work - if they actually bothered to write a coherent story that links all the worlds together. The game (the first one at least) was just kind of a mashup of different worlds with little connecting them.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    A Kingdom Hearts movie would work - if they actually bothered to write a coherent story that links all the worlds together. The game (the first one at least) was just kind of a mashup of different worlds with little connecting them.

The second isn't much better. Aside from the Disney castle and Beast's castle, I don't remember the disney worlds being that integral to the story or mixed together that well.

never die on
    edited May 2009
    The second game had a lot of filler.

The characters were all

Hey Sora

Oh no Heartless!

Bye Sora

Stuff like the Tron world was well integrated, but stuff like POTC, Aladdin and especially The Little Mermaid was pointless in KH2.

Godfather on
  • SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, do you only get to be a Disney Princess if your movie was a musical? I've always wondered why Kida from Atlantis was never included.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I actually don't think it would be that hard to do a Kingdom Hearts movie. The themes of loneliness, love, and friendship are universal. Just have a "once upon a time" about three kids on an island, 2 go missing, Sora goes through the door, and then finds himself looping through various worlds. I think as long as it's not done cheesy, and the simple childish joy and color of the series is adhered to, it would be an excellent movie.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    SAW776 wrote: »
    So, do you only get to be a Disney Princess if your movie was a musical? I've always wondered why Kida from Atlantis was never included.

Atlantis wasn't very successful or enduring.

Couscous on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    SAW776 wrote: »

Atlantis wasn't very successful or enduring.
    Yeah, you only get to be a princess if you make enough money. Pimps put down the ho's that don't make enough.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, um, nothing racist, but why is the princess in the princess and the frog black?

It just...well, fairy-tale princesses are traditionally white since the original source material, i.e. real princesses in castles etc, were traditionally european and white.

So, yeah, im not hating on anything, just curious. Is this just a political correctness/equal rites move?

joshua1 on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's set in modern time. She's not a real princess.

Robos A Go Go on
  • LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's set in modern time. She's not a real princess.

Well, modern-ish. 1920s New Orleans.

Lynx on
    edited May 2009
    joshua1 wrote: »
    So, um, nothing racist, but why is the princess in the princess and the frog black?

It just...well, fairy-tale princesses are traditionally white since the original source material, i.e. real princesses in castles etc, were traditionally european and white.

So, yeah, im not hating on anything, just curious. Is this just a political correctness/equal rites move?

takes place in 1920s New Orleans. I think she's actually just wearing the princess outfit as a costume.

FyreWulff on
  • SequoiaSequoia Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Disney is trying desperately to be politically correct. I would bet that they decided that they needed a black princess before they even wrote the story.

The real question is if they will continue to use different races, or if they will just have one of each of the "minorities" and then a slew of white girls.

Sequoia on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sequoia wrote: »
    Disney is trying desperately to be politically correct. I would bet that they decided that they needed a black princess before they even wrote the story.

The real question is if they will continue to use different races, or if they will just have one of each of the "minorities" and then a slew of white girls.
    They already have a bunch of different minorities. And white girls. Also, "trying" to be politically correct?

Fencingsax on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    For as far as I am concerned Disney is the epitome of middle-of-the-road, politically correct and 100% American.

There's a professor here on my University who likes to rail against everything bad about the US, but he ends his powerpoint with a few pictures out of Disney movies with the comment that the US can't be that bad, because a country that can bring forth such movies must consist of adorable folks.

Aldo on
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    There's a professor here on my University who likes to rail against everything bad about the US, but he ends his powerpoint with a few pictures out of Disney movies with the comment that the US can't be that bad, because a country that can bring forth such movies must consist of adorable folks.
    ... who believe that people doing bad things should meet the most gruesome end ever. :P

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    edited May 2009

So in short Disney can't win?

If it's a bunch of white heroines, they're being racist.

If they have a non-white main character, it's desperation.

FyreWulff on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Again, the solution is to just re-release Song of the South and tell everyone to go fuck themselves.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited May 2009
    Thirith wrote: »
    ... who believe that people doing bad things should meet the most gruesome end ever. :P

I love how all those villains did not die at the hand of our charming hero. It either gets outsourced to a more morally ambiguous character (the hyenas, Will Smith the little dragon), nature (lightning, gravity, vines)lady Fortuna (getting stuck in an airplane engine, a gargoyle breaking off, getting knocked down by someone else).

Aldo on
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, it's like the story basically says, "Sure, this guy needs to die horribly - but we can't have our hero sully his hands, oh no!" It's always good if you can delegate violent retribution to the hands of Fate.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

I love how all those villains did not die at the hand of our charming hero. It either gets outsourced to a more morally ambiguous character (the hyenas, Will Smith the little dragon), nature (lightning, gravity, vines)lady Fortuna (getting stuck in an airplane engine, a gargoyle breaking off, getting knocked down by someone else).
    Eddie Murphy

Fencingsax on
    edited May 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Eddie Murphy
    I always mix those two up. D;

Aldo on
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In the other news, Wayne Allwine, current voice of Mickey Mouse has passed away just two days ago. He was third voice for Mickey (previous being Disney himself and Jimmy MacDonald), and he was first heard in The New Mickey Mouse Club in 1977. He also worked as a sound editor on multiple movies like Splash, Three Men and a Baby, Alien Nation, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier and Innerspace.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    D:.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited May 2009
    Hm, he wasn't very old.

Aldo on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm personally saddened by this. I didn't find out until a couple years ago that the same VA has been playing Mickey for several decades, and is actually married to Minnie's VA. My sisters both did a DAWWWWW reaction when I told them this.

I wonder if his illness had anything to do with his voice in Re: CoM, as I noticed he sounded a bit off. I also wonder if he finished his lines for Birth by Sleep or the DS game.

Regardless, this is a sad day for Disney fans.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

So in short Disney can't win?

If it's a bunch of white heroines, they're being racist.

If they have a non-white main character, it's desperation.

In my experience people who rail against "political correctness" generally prefer the former conclusion

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I was saddened to hear that Disney had closed their traditional 2D animation studios (even though we know they'll open again at some point - what's this about a Frog Princess? Is that live action or CG, or from ye goode olde pen?). The quality of their films had definitely dropped since the early nineties, where it was blockbuster after blockbuster every year (Little Mermaid, Beauty & The Beast, Aladdin, Lion King), but I still found plenty to like in the majority of their films. The biggest saving grace of all the "good but not as epically good as the early to mid-nineties stuff" films is their sense of humour. Emperor's New Groove, Hercules, Mulan, Lilo & Stitch are all hilarious in my book (especially New Groove).

On the other hand, the way they're so quick to bring out direct to home release sequels with lower production quality really irritates me. Kronk's New Groove and all that stuff (although I can't hate anything with Patrick Warburton in it), sequels to Aladdin, Pocahontas, Mulan... I guess they're just there to appease the kiddies and I shouldn't be annoyed with them, that they're not for me. But dammit, to have your memory of the first film tarnished by these half-efforts is awful. Jungle Book 2! Bambi 2! Argh. Now, having said that, I did actually like Simba's Pride...

When it comes to stinkers, my God they've made a few. Atlantis, Dinosaur, Home on the Range, Meet the Robinsons... especially that last. It was unbelievably bad. I would implore them to leave the new-fangled computery stuff to Pixar, but Bolt was a nice little film for what it was, so... let's see what they do next with CG.

Beauty & The Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King... these three are their greatest in my opinion. I remember being in awe at how beautiful Beauty & The Beast was - the 3D effects in the ballroom, the quality of the animation in the dinner scene, the sheer epic feel to it (Beast fighting the wolves, and later on Gaston at the top of the castle? Awesome)... I remember thinking they couldn't possibly top it. Then Aladdin came along. And then the Lion King. I think Disney's 2D animators do a good enough job of 3D effects without having to bring in cg.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
    edited May 2009
    Frog Princess is traditional animation. It's basically a continuation of the old animation studios, directed by the guys who helped the resurgence of Disney Animation in the 90s.

Fencingsax on
    edited May 2009
    You know, they actually animated an alternative to the Ballroom scene on a solid background (like the end of Sleeping Beauty) in case it looked shitty.

Fencingsax on