As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

School is for Fools [celebration thread]

• Options
    TheClarksterTheClarkster Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Done with my BS in information systems in 2 and a half weeks.

After I finish these 4 group papers, 3 presentations, and 2 term papers.

Kill me now.

56? 56?!

Aww, man, now that's all I can think about!

I'LL KILL YOU YOU NO GOOD 56'IN--!

Great, now I'm going to watch at least one full season of Futurama instead of working on my papers.

I guess that's ok.

TheClarkster on
    Waka
    Waka

Flocka
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited April 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    the paper would probably be funnier

Why you gotta do that.

Why.

Unless Information Systems is hilarious to you?

TheClarkster on
    Waka
    Waka

Flocka
  • Options
    edited April 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    or at the very least, less predictable

That's fine. It's still funny.

No more Futurama hating.

TheClarkster on
    Waka
    Waka

Flocka
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    teefs if you hate futurama you're retarded

literally retarded

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Valid opinion. Let us just forget about the movies.

TheClarkster on
    Waka
    Waka

Flocka
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    that is acceptable

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    movies were good diversions for the time that they existed

also I graduated in december

with no honors
    because I didn't want them obviously

Raneados on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Graduating with Honors at my University is pretty lame, mostly in regards to doing it with an engineering degree. You practically have to beg the professors to give you more work so it can count as 'honors' credit, then spend your junior and senior years doing community service type projects.

I guess the upshot is that I don't have to put up with any of their bullshit and they wont kick me out. Also I get to register for classes a week early.

Squall on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I actually wish I did more community service in HS and college, I should rectify that

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    A lot of the community service around here involves beach cleanups and bowling with speds

Or you could help out at one of those marathons for aids in abortion clinics or something. They want you to show up at 5am and stick around until the evening. No.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I mean, do they really need me there the WHOLE time? Marathons take a long time, no matter how fast you run. Let me go take off my pants and rest for a while.

This is the problem with education these days

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Done with 2nd year, woo!
    2 more to go

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Linksville wrote: »
    Oh hey Teefs. Why where you hatin' on me wanting to go into sculpting a week ago? I forgot to ask you.
    Professionally sculpting 20 foot high penises is not a good career choice, Linksville

someone's never heard of japan

Ugh. I wish I had a better memory so I could take a whole bunch of math and science classes. The stuff you can play around with in those classes fascinates me and feeds my insatiable curiosity.

memory doesn't really help that much with maths classes. My brain is pretty much a sponge when it comes to remembering science stuff that interests me at least a little (which is pretty much all science outside of biology above the cellular scale), but I'm really having to work on not just relying on this because I'm not doing too great at maths at the moment and it just really sucks having to change how I learn a subject as compared to memorising specific methods like I did in high school

I had a computational modelling midterm last week the day after mid semester break without knowing about it beforehand at 10am as my first class back and only finished half of it badly, that was a fun surprise (fuck that class is taught terribly. If you are contemplating it, do not take a computational modelling course at otago university. Just don't) and have another one this saturday at 10am that counts for 15% of my mark for that class, but that's chem and is pretty much purely remembering formulas and some basic stuff that I've already learned and been examined on in high school

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ugh. I wish I had a better memory so I could take a whole bunch of math and science classes. The stuff you can play around with in those classes fascinates me and feeds my insatiable curiosity.

I can see where being able to memorize gobs of information would be useful in basic biology, astronomy, and maybe geology courses, but I certainly can't say the same thing for math, chemistry, or physics (well, maybe a little bit for organic chem).

Math classes, at least what I've had to take (calc 3, differential equations & matrix alg) really have always boiled down to:

"This is what we're learning today, here's the derivation of the equations you use, circle the final equations we get. Here's twenty practice problems that all follow pretty much the same procedure and are almost identical to what you'll be seeing on exams"

Whereas science and engineering courses like physics and chemistry and material/energy balances go like this:

"Here are the basic concepts that you need to understand completely. Here are some example problems of the most basic form that utilize one of each of these principles. These are in no way what you'll be seeing on the exam. On there, you'll get problems that are an amalgam of most of these concepts and you'll have to know then inside and out to manipulate them in such a way to find the correct answer"

Second year almost through!

Squall on
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Squall wrote: »

I can see where being able to memorize gobs of information would be useful in basic biology, astronomy, and maybe geology courses, but I certainly can't say the same thing for math, chemistry, or physics (well, maybe a little bit for organic chem).

Math classes, at least what I've had to take (calc 3, differential equations & matrix alg) really have always boiled down to:

"This is what we're learning today, here's the derivation of the equations you use, circle the final equations we get. Here's twenty practice problems that all follow pretty much the same procedure and are almost identical to what you'll be seeing on exams"

Whereas science and engineering courses like physics and chemistry and material/energy balances go like this:

"Here are the basic concepts that you need to understand completely. Here are some example problems of the most basic form that utilize one of each of these principles. These are in no way what you'll be seeing on the exam. On there, you'll get problems that are an amalgam of most of these concepts and you'll have to know then inside and out to manipulate them in such a way to find the correct answer"

Second year almost through!

this will all change pretty heavily depending on your profs and the courses you take

the math you will know the best is the math you can derive yourself

at least when you're just dealing with computation

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    oh god i'm going to be a senior soon

better start thinking about finding a job

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Little Jim wrote: »
    this will all change pretty heavily depending on your profs and the courses you take

the math you will know the best is the math you can derive yourself

at least when you're just dealing with computation

Eh, I'm done with math. Engineers only have to know up through differential equations and manipulating matrices. Honestly, I wish I had more courses like that that were so straightforward.

Squall on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    This next year is gonna be great

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have 3 more days of finals left this semester

I am studying maths and bioengineering right now infact

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    oh hurray looks like we got a 3 bedroom apartment actually secured for next year, if we decide to move there.

thus far it's the best place we've looked at, so I'm thinking we will take it

that's one thing I don't have to worry about

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Done third year.

Only one more year to go to finish my undergrad.

Then off to more school!

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'll be going to Fordham in the fall! Woo!

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am pretty excited that I won't have to take any math in college and at most one English class.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm about to go take probably the hardest mid-term I've ever had and I am terrified.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    Ness445Ness445 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I get the results from my LSAT back next month, thus proving to me that going into law will be both a financial and a mental burden.

Here's to years more of education regardless of getting my BA in English next year!

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Major: Bachelor's of Science in Real Time Interactive Simulation
    Standing: Junior

fuck yeaaa

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Ness445Ness445 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    neville's major just reminds me of when I talked to a friend who goes to GA Tech (majoring in some kind of Engineering), and I asked him what classes he was taking.

basically it sounded like the most incredibly tough shit imaginable. I will never understand mathematics or computers or anything like that.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

I applied there, but the last thing I ever got back from them was a note that they'd received my completed application, and the AU deadline rolled around so that kinda sealed it.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »

I applied there, but the last thing I ever got back from them was a note that they'd received my completed application, and the AU deadline rolled around so that kinda sealed it.

You're usually supposed to pester them until you get a result.

It's like a lesson in initiative or something.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »

You're usually supposed to pester them until you get a result.

It's like a lesson in initiative or something.

oh yeah, I love hearing a frustrated office employee repeat for the trillionth time that I'll hear as soon as they've made a decision or getting form e-mails back from the dean of admissions

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    not calling once is also stupid

calling once or twice is not pestering

it's giving a shit about whatever you're applying for

but whatever

redfenix on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    also, i'll have my Master's in like 2 weeks

redfenix on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    redfenix wrote: »
    also, i'll have my Master's in like 2 weeks

pfft. Clearly your style of college is old school.

:D

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm not sure what the hell I'll end up doing with most of the knowledge I've amassed over the past two years; most of it is inapplicable to my main choice of career path.

Public Administration degree? Less than ideal for higher ed.
    but hey, it's what was around.

maybe ill just end up running a city instead, which would also be neat.

redfenix on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

[Deleted User] on