As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need family movie suggestions for two kids

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Family movie night.

Got a 3 1/2 year old, a 7 month old, and my wife and I (26 and 27, respectively).

We've seen all the Pixar and Disney stuff. Just watched The Princess Bride and all of the LotR movies, Never Ending Story, some others.

Is there a movie out there that is as good for adults as it is for kids that we haven't seen?

joshofalltrades on

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Have they seen The Iron Giant?

Babe is also a pretty good series.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nooooo... neither have we, for that matter.

I'll do some digging around and ask if that would be good. Meantime, more suggestions! I'd like a wide pool of movies to pick from.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Brad Bird directed Iron Giant, I think I may have made my selection. I can still use more suggestions for other movie nights, so there's no reason to lock this yet.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    PaleCommanderPaleCommander Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Stardust is a great (I recall) family-friendly fantasy in the same vein as Princess Bride.

PaleCommander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Stardust is a great (I recall) family-friendly fantasy in the same vein as Princess Bride.

Yeah it's fantastic if your 7 month old child enjoys sexual innuendo. Otherwise it's more of a tween/teen thing; there's not a ton there for really young kids. Then again, I would have figured a 3 1/2 year old would be freaked the fuck out by Lord of the Rings.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Houndx on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Houndx wrote: »

Or more generally Miyazaki. Although depending on your ideals, some of them might warrant pre-viewing.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Spirted Away and My Neighbor Totoro are two other Miyazaki movies that are easy recommendations. All of his stuff is seriously outstanding.

Houndx on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for the recommendations everybody. Great stuff, keep 'em coming. Most of these I've never heard of.

EDIT: Tycho, he was just fine throughout LotR. He was a bit stressed at times, but not because of the violence. He just wanted to know the good guys with the bad ring were going to be okay.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Hoodwinked" was pretty funny when I watched it. It's got a lot in there for adults, but it's got cute cartoon with characters from nursery rhymes and such kids would probably enjoy.

Thylacine on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    3 1/2 years old is a perfect time to get your son hooked on sports. Watch the Sandlot, and be prepared to watch it alot.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Brave Little Toaster

Quid on
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Some classic 80's movies, like Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. Although the Dark Crystal might be a little scary for a 3 year old.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    3 1/2 years old is a perfect time to get your son hooked on sports. Watch the Sandlot, and be prepared to watch it alot.

His daddy is a musician, he will be a drummer.
    I love The Sandlot and so will he.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody, I'm adding a lot of these to my Netflix queue.

EDIT: Iron Giant was awesome, thanks Robos.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Neverending Motherfucking Story.

edit: whoops, missed that in the OP, see my later post

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    capnricocapnrico Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm going to assume they got lumped in with the Pixar/Disney stuff, but since you didn't explicitly say them:

Shrek 1/2 (3 is eh)
    Kung Fu Panda
    Ice Age

I've also been showing my daughter Justice League/Unlimited, Batman: The Animated Series, and Superman: The Animated Series episodes, and she digs em (she's 5 though).

Pirates of the Caribbean may be doable if they handled Princess Bride and LOTR, too.

capnrico on
  • Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There is Dragon heart and newer dragon type movie eargon or something, also if you can get your hands on fraggle rock episodes bet they would love that

tech_hunter on
    Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    There is Dragon heart and newer dragon type movie eargon or something, also if you can get your hands on fraggle rock episodes bet they would love that

I would love that.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Balto
    The Secret of NIMH

Have you tried any of the older live action Disney stuff? "That Darn Cat" was great (but get the black and white movie with the siamese cat, not the crappy recent remake.) Also The Shaggy Dog. And Herbie the Love Bug.

LadyM on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    3 more great animated movies:

Land Before Time series
    Once Upon a Forest
    Ferngully

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Secret of NIMH Yes this.

tech_hunter on
    Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    Beren39Beren39 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That's one brave little guy, I know at his age the Uruk-Hai would've given me nightmares. Any older Disney movies are a good bet, I loved Fox and the Hound and An American Tail when I was younger but that might not appeal as much to you and your wife. The Goonies, Back to the Future, all classic movies you've probably seen but are awesome to introduce to your kids. I fucking worshipped Pete's Dragon when I was 5.

Edit: Oh man I forgot about The Water Horse, it was surprisingly good, it's a family-friendly 'imagining' of the Loch Ness monsters' origins. It's actually kind of thematically similar to The Iron Giant.

Beren39 on
    Go, Go, EXCALIBUR! - Trent Varsity Swim Team 2009, better watch out for me Phelps!
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's Disney, but I just have to make sure that you guys watched Pete's Dragon already. That was easily my favorite childhood movie.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I really liked Titan AE.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Houndx wrote: »
    Spirted Away and My Neighbor Totoro are two other Miyazaki movies that are easy recommendations. All of his stuff is seriously outstanding.

Spirited Away has some parts that might be a bit scary for kids that age.

My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service are the best two to start with, I think.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Rotting MeatRotting Meat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Zathura is surprisingly good.

Rotting Meat on
  • Options
    Stevie2SxcStevie2Sxc __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Small Soldiers. That movie made my childhood rock!

But if you do choose it, the "living Barbie" scene might be a bit freaky for the 7 month old.

Stevie2Sxc on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Besides what's been suggested already (Iron Giant is tops on that list btw):

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (The original one with Gene Wilder, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is okay)
    E.T.
    The Parent Trap (the original one for the love of god)
    The American Tail series (at least the first two)
    Wallace and Gromit (all of it)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head that wasn't mentioned.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    I really liked Titan AE.

Seconded.

Also, Dinosaur. It could be a bit distressing, I mean it's about extinction after all, but if the kid was OK with LotR I'm sure he can handle this too.

edit: stupid me, didn't realize this one is probably included in the "all Disney and Pixar movies" category. Oh well.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    I really liked Titan AE.

Titan AE might be a bit much for a 3 year old. Aside from some of the innuendo, there's some violence and blood (one of the main characters gets shot with a laser pistol), one alien even gets their neck snapped IIRC. On the other hand, LotR was probably more violent. It plays a bit fast and loose with science (but what sci-fi movie doesn't?) and plotting in general , but it's hard to find a sci-fi movie for kids these days, and I'm all for getting kids into sci-fi. :)

I'll second recommendations for the secret of NIMH, and an American Tail (didn't even know there were more films after the first two). I also don't understand why people didn't like Ice Age 1, I thought it was a pretty good road trip movie. Ice Age 2 was crap though. I don't really have high hopes for number 3.

I've heard good things about Watership Down, but I've never seen it.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fern Gully y'all! Tim Curry ftw.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Beren39 wrote: »
    That's one brave little guy, I know at his age the Uruk-Hai would've given me nightmares. Any older Disney movies are a good bet, I loved Fox and the Hound and An American Tail when I was younger but that might not appeal as much to you and your wife. The Goonies, Back to the Future, all classic movies you've probably seen but are awesome to introduce to your kids. I fucking worshipped Pete's Dragon when I was 5.

Edit: Oh man I forgot about The Water Horse, it was surprisingly good, it's a family-friendly 'imagining' of the Loch Ness monsters' origins. It's actually kind of thematically similar to The Iron Giant.

Oh hell yes at Pete's Dragon and American Tail. Going right on the queue.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Watership Down is a great movie, but could be disturbing for a young kid. Yeah, he's seen LOTR before, but . . . still . . . animated rabbits tearing the crap out of each other in a bloody battle . . .

How about The Last Unicorn?

Pete's Dragon is awesome.

LadyM on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (great for musicians if you like Bryan Adams)
    The Land Before Time
    Muppet Treasure Island
    Robin Hood (Disney, but it's older so maybe you haven't seen it)
    Old Disney live action stuff like The Nutty Professor, Herbie the Love Bug, The Computer Who Wore Tennis Shoes, and The Apple Dumpling Gang
    Charlotte's Web

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The correct answer is Labyrinth.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Joe Chemo wrote: »
    Some classic 80's movies, like Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. Although the Dark Crystal might be a little scary for a 3 year old.

I'd strongly recommend against Dark Crystal. I am still traumatized by that movie. They suck the soul out of a puppet or two and the giant bug/bird monsters are creepy. I had nightmares about that freaky shit for a while.

Still a good movie, but for a 3 year old....I'd wait a couple more years on that one.

Tron was always good for me, didn't really understand the movie till I was older, but as a kid I loved all the goofy colors, frisbee throwing and such.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    xa52xa52 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Slagmire wrote: »
    Wallace and Gromit (all of it)

Enthusiastically seconded.

Also, James and the Giant Peach.

xa52 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ElrosstElrosst Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Slagmire wrote: »
    The Parent Trap (the original one for the love of god)
    F-ing seconded.

I'm suggesting these on the basis that LOTR was ok for your child: Swiss Family Robinson (1960, Disney), Lemony Snickett, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, The Great Muppet Caper, The Muppet Movie, Home Alone.

Just in case you've missed them in your Pixar/Disney viewing, my neighbors almost-three year old kid LOVES The Incredibles, Cars, Finding Nemo, Iron Giant.

Elrosst on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    If I'm not mentioning your suggestion specifically it's because I'm getting so many good ones that my Netflix queue is going to be backed up for a good month.

Actually, I wanted to show my son Pee-Wee's Big Adventure but it had been a long time since I had viewed it. I watched it and he's not seeing that movie until he's at least 5 or 6. Clowns are scary.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    If I'm not mentioning your suggestion specifically it's because I'm getting so many good ones that my Netflix queue is going to be backed up for a good month.

Actually, I wanted to show my son Pee-Wee's Big Adventure but it had been a long time since I had viewed it. I watched it and he's not seeing that movie until he's at least 5 or 6. Clowns are scary.

I still remember the truck driver.

Joe Chemo on