Need family movie suggestions for two kids

2»

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    The Brave Little Toaster

Double reccomended. Triple, even.

That movie is the goddamn foundation of my childhood.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I know you said Pixar Disney in the OP, but I can't take the chance that doesn't include Wall-E.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Anyone said the back to the future trilogy yet? They're family friendly and they still kick ass as much today as they did when they came out.

Casual on
  • Options
    BabbleBabble Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Houndx wrote: »
    Spirted Away and My Neighbor Totoro are two other Miyazaki movies that are easy recommendations. All of his stuff is seriously outstanding.

Spirited Away has some parts that might be a bit scary for kids that age.

My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service are the best two to start with, I think.

Both Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service are great recommendations.

Babble on
  • Options
    The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Miyazaki has been mentioned, but those films can be violent or involve creatures that can really scare kids.

Child Safe:
    The Cat Returns : Anne Hathaway, Carey Elwes, Peter Boyle and Tim Curry are great in this one. There's violence but it's largely comical and there's no dying.
    My Neighbor Totoro: It should be noted that at one point in this film the two sisters join their father in the bath. There's not really any nudity but I know not everyone is comfortable with such a concept. It does have a little bit of a scary part in regard to a missing kid but again, no dying.
    Whispers of the Heart: Sort of a childhood love story centering around a shared interest in books. Also contains a cameo of sorts on behalf of The Baron and Renaldo Moon (characters in The Cat Returns). There's no fighting or dying.

Non-Miyazaki

Labyrinth might be a tad scary, also when I watched this not long ago with my young niece I realized that David Bowie's package is like, front and center in any of his scenes.

If they can handle LotR, might I suggest also the Star Wars Movies? Particularly the original trilogy (4,5,6). I was born in 81 so I had these viewed pretty early in my life, I was apparently only frightened of R2-D2.

Though not nearly as good as Peter Jackson's LotR, you may find the old Bass&Rankin Hobbit and LotR movies acceptable.

The Last Unicorn is in the same vein (another Bass&Rankin) though it is sort of a depressing movie and deals a bit with the concept of death and immortality.

Given your presence on this forum I would assume that a movie like The Wizard, might also be worth a view, a reminder of simpler times when games were not as slick looking and the Power Glove seemed like it might be a good idea. Also friendship and brotherhood.

Surf's Up is also an under-rated CG movie for kids.

Hope that helps!

The LandoStander on
    Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm not sure how you can advise against a film like Spirited Away and then recommend Star Wars which encases Han Solo in carbonite and has Vader choking people and droids being tortured

Admittedly Princess Mononoke is a bit bloody, but it's the only Miyazaki movie I'd maybe caution against. Kiki's Delivery Service is also very sweet and a good recommendation.

Janson on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Casual wrote: »
    Anyone said the back to the future trilogy yet? They're family friendly and they still kick ass as much today as they did when they came out.

My mom wouldn't let me watch Part II because it was "too dark." :(

KalTorak on
  • Options
    locomotivemanlocomotiveman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Perhaps some of the Disney Pooh movies-shows-whatevers?

locomotiveman on
    aquabat wrote:
    I actually worked at work on Saturday. Also I went out on a date with a real life girl.

Can you like, permanently break the forums?
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Joe Chemo wrote: »
    If I'm not mentioning your suggestion specifically it's because I'm getting so many good ones that my Netflix queue is going to be backed up for a good month.

Actually, I wanted to show my son Pee-Wee's Big Adventure but it had been a long time since I had viewed it. I watched it and he's not seeing that movie until he's at least 5 or 6. Clowns are scary.

I still remember the truck driver.

and I thought I was the only one.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Milo and Otis.

Best

Movie

Ever

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    BelketreBelketre Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My granddaughter, who is 4 in a couple of months, absolutely loves the nightmare before christmas and the corpse bride.

Belketre on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I loved Freaky Friday as a kid. Again, make sure it's not the remake.

LadyM on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Milo and Otis reminded me - Homeward Bound.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited April 2009
    Stardust is very very good. Kids that young won't get any innuendo, they'll just see a pretty fantasy story with lots of nice imagery, a pretty princess, an awkward hero.

I recommend Coraline when it comes out on DVD, but it's a little bit scary. If your kids get scared, you can just turn it off. If not, it's a beautiful movie.

I remember Return to Oz from when I was little.. very cool if they've seen The Wizard of Oz. I remember being really creeped out by the wheelers, and even more creeped out when they turned to sand and crumbled.

Then again, I also used to watch the Rainbow Brite movie like every other weekend.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Return to Oz was definately a defining childhood movie for me, but I really liked the creepy stuff when I was a kid. It's weird to realize it now, but a lot of the older movies for children actually had a lot of scary stuff in them, so be careful (but not too careful, your kids might like it!)

Wheelers, man. Compeletely forgot about them. :shudders:

Killgrimage on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited April 2009
    Return to Oz was definately a defining childhood movie for me, but I really liked the creepy stuff when I was a kid. It's weird to realize it now, but a lot of the older movies for children actually had a lot of scary stuff in them, so be careful (but not too careful, your kids might like it!)

Wheelers, man. Compeletely forgot about them. :shudders:
    It seems ironic that the Dorothy in that movie grew up to play a rather wicked witch later on.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Flight of the Navigator
    Charlotte's Web (the original not that recent trash)
    Matilda

Early Muppet Movies were awesome
    Chicken Run
    Narnia
    Mrs Doubtfire (? not sure what its rated)
    Stuart Little

(When you say Disney, you BETTER mean you've seen like, every movie they made, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Pollyanna etc etc)

onceling on
  • Options
    Rotting MeatRotting Meat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Forkes wrote: »
    Milo and Otis.

Best

Movie

Ever

Please no Milo and Otis. I watched it recently as an adult after having loved it as a child, and animal abuse is extremely apparent in the scenes.

Rotting Meat on
  • Options
    Stevie2SxcStevie2Sxc __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I can't think of any kid that won't piss their kidneys out with laughter at that film. Even if they don't get the more mature stuff the immense ammount of sillyness in that film with have them in stitches

Stevie2Sxc on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Forkes wrote: »
    Milo and Otis.

Best

Movie

Ever

Please no Milo and Otis. I watched it recently as an adult after having loved it as a child, and animal abuse is extremely apparent in the scenes.

hah, what makes you say that? when the cat is rolling through the river?

Milo and Otis is awesome. And the kids would love the shit out of this movie.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSLRJx6l08E

Also Return to Oz was creepy to me and I just saw that recently. The multiple heads bit was a little weird.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    Rotting MeatRotting Meat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    4:45 on is a lot of bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8S5rfLjbMs

Putting a kitten in those situations and then throwing it off a 50+ foot cliff is not humane.

Rotting Meat on
  • Options
    Stevie2SxcStevie2Sxc __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009

Putting a kitten in those situations and then throwing it off a 50+ foot cliff is not humane.

I don't think they used a real cat

Stevie2Sxc on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Guess I'm heartless, don't really see a problem with any of this.

And the movie is sure to fit the OP's bill.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    The Brave Little Toaster

Guys, any of you who love Pixar's stuff need to see this movie. Half the guys who founded Pixar worked on it, and it's very much in that vein - a cartoon that grown-ups can enjoy along with the kids.

Joshofalltrades, I would also recommend A Little Princess, an intensely underrated classic from 1993 based on the kids' book, and also one of the films of The Secret Garden (written by the same author).

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The Brave Little Toaster is also awesome. Though I seem to remember some sort of air conditioner guy freaking me out. Also, the fucking devil clown shooting metal forks through a fire hose. And the scene where Kirby chokes on his own cord.

These kids sound tougher than I was, though.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Star Wars movies
    Indiana Jones movies
    The Hobbit
    Vice Versa

Those scream "childhood" for me.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    Ahaha, Vice Versa. I watched that movie almost every day for an entire summer when it first showed up on HBO. It and White Water Summer, which would be another good kids' movie for when they get a bit older.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've got plenty of suggestions now, but if there's a movie that defined your childhood and hasn't been mentioned don't hesitate to keep posting.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Stevie2Sxc wrote: »

I don't think they used a real cat

They did. Several animals died during the making of it. It used to be one of my favorite movies and now I can't even think about it without getting all sad.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    They did. Several animals died during the making of it. It used to be one of my favorite movies and now I can't even think about it without getting all sad.

Source?

And for some recommendations... You said Pixar/Disney. How about Dreamworks? The Prince of Egypt is that's up your alley, or The Road to El Dorado.

Feels Good Man on