As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What is your most absurd belief?

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The fountain of youth and the elixer of life has been just around the corner ever since the renaissance. It's a pretty common belief.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    .kbf?.kbf? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That truly intelligent machines(not "artificial") are not only possible but closer to a reality then people think.

.kbf? on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That I might win the lottery, I suppose. Luckily, this belief is limited to $1 twice-weekly drawings and does not extend the more expensive scratchcards or, worse yet, the kind of gambling that could find me indebted to the mob or something like that. Still, when people refer to the idiot tax, I hate to think I'm paying it.

Course, if I do happen to win, I'll say I knew all along and laugh in the face of more sensible folk.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    I believe the Singularity as described by the prophet Raymond Kurzweil will arrive within my lifetime and I will be free from the meaty shackles of my body.

No, OK, that's more of an absurd hope.

I believe humans can be the caretakers of life on Earth if we can find a way live on it without destroying it as much as we do today. We take wonder in the smallest and largest of creatures, and we have an (I think) instinctual desire to care for the babies and elderly of many many species.

This is what I was going to say, but I don't think it's really all that absurd.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    .kbf? wrote: »
    That truly intelligent machines(not "artificial") are not only possible but closer to a reality then people think.

we're it, in fact

Tam on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The fountain of youth and the elixer of life has been just around the corner ever since the renaissance. It's a pretty common belief.

So was humans flying (I mean look at Icarus), but guess what?!

Though this is probably what I hold that others see as irrational, were going to see an explosion of amazing technologies within my lifetime. It's going to be so sweet.

Leitner on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That the zombie apocalypse will happen, someday.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »
    If you hold Down+B the pokeball is more likely to stay shut.
    Oh come on, that's not absurd. I STILL do that shit, every damn time.

another one here who still does this. sometimes I press really hard on the button and Dpad and think it is working.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This whole humanity think is going to turn out just fine.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    METAzraeL wrote: »

I believe that this is what will follow the swine-flu.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have a few superstitions that I don't actually believe but constantly act on. Like, that it's bad luck to walk on handicapped signs in parking lots. In high school I had a girlfriend who thought that and to this day I unconsciously avoid them myself.

darthmix on
  • Options
    HonkeymagooHonkeymagoo Registered User new member
    edited April 2009
    That when i think i see something that upon a second look isnt there, i am seing into the past or future. Only what i see is just random everyday stuff of no importance.

Honkeymagoo on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Honk wrote: »
    METAzraeL wrote: »

I believe that this is what will follow the swine-flu.
    I like the way you think.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    * I believe that the Singularity will occur during my lifetime and that the ensuing technocratic utopia will be just as awesome as I think it could be.

* Snakes are out there. They're waiting and they're hungry for my blood. I'm well aware of the biological and physiological problems with this belief but it keeps me from willingly swimming in rivers and lakes. Oddly it doesn't keep me out of the woods. I'm also not any more afraid of snakes than a healthy awareness of their poison would make me when I see them in person. My wife teases me mercilessly.

It's not really a belief but I have this deep-down, irrational fear that either science is just flat out wrong or that I'll go irrevocably mad without noticing it, leading to all kinds of horrible superstitious things happening. I have severe problems with mirrors despite knowing very well exactly how mirrors work and that there's nothing supernatural about them. Also, dolls creep me the hell out for no good reason and always have.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    GungHo wrote: »
    I can convince Thanatos to stop hating cops.
    Yeah, this is pretty absurd.

Cops, like, the TV show? Or cops, like, the guys who hand out speeding tickets?

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    I have the absurd belief that there will one day be a MMO that will capture the magic that Asheron's Call had. I miss Asheron's Call. :(

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That loneliness is not necessary.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Podly wrote: »

Oh, Poldy, you're so emo.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Podly wrote: »

Oh, Poldy, you're so emo.

More in the DFW, are we always doomed to stew in our skulls?, empathyless loneliness.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Cops, like, the TV show? Or cops, like, the guys who murder black people and get away with it?

Fixed.

And I guess my absurd belief is that the political landscape of America will fundamentally change within my lifetime, but that's probably just Hopium still coursing in my veins and leading to delusions.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Leitner wrote: »

Though this is probably what I hold that others see as irrational, were going to see an explosion of amazing technologies within my lifetime. It's going to be so sweet.

This also has been happening since the renaissance, but much more so in the last hundred years. The elixer of life has been happening you know. Modern medicine?
    I dunno I don't think these are absurd beliefs, in the sense that I think they're really common.

I don't think you should judge yourself as being absurd for being human. :P

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »

Cops, like, the TV show? Or cops, like, the guys who murder black people and get away with it?

Fixed.

And I guess my absurd belief is that the political landscape of America will fundamentally change within my lifetime, but that's probably just Hopium still coursing in my veins and leading to delusions.
    If we become a fascist dictatorship next election, I'm blaming you. That's fundamental change, after all.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That there is some form of higher power. God or whatever you prefer to call it. Somebody or something has to keep shit in line. I'm not overly religious or anything, but I was raised catholic. So its something in the back of my head I guess.

Goose! on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I believe in free will.

I have no evidence to back up that idea.

enc0re on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think that if you want to reach people through art, you might want to do artwork for hanging in bathrooms

Tam on
  • Options
    Hardleft_335Hardleft_335 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I consistently find myself attributing things to luck. This is stupid, yet I continue.

The idea that a company will be loyal to me if I am loyal to them.

Hardleft_335 on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I consistently find myself attributing things to luck. This is stupid, yet I continue.

I just use luck as another word for any forces you can't possibly account for.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I was coming in here to post it. In my head, I know it's wrong, but I want to believe, damn it.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Rapidly pressing or holding down the elevator button makes it show up faster.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I was coming in here to post it. In my head, I know it's wrong, but I want to believe, damn it.

This made me wince.

Why would you set yourself up for this level of constantpain.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    enc0re wrote: »
    I believe in free will.

I was going to post that, but decided not to.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Girls like it when you give them a dutch oven

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Rapidly pressing or holding down the elevator button makes it show up faster.

You know, sometimes it actually does. Some elevator algorithms actually do weight floors where someone is pressing the button continuously higher than floors where none of that shenanigans is going on.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My absurd belief is that honesty will grant me fair chances in life, such as when I make mistakes in the workplace.

So far, experience points to being a lying fuck is better to survive in the real world. But I'm a sucker like that.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I believe history is progressive, and that everything happens for a reason.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The future in the movie Idiocracy will become a reality

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    mystikspyralmystikspyral Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I believe in reincarnation of some kind. Not sure how it works, I believe it happens somehow. Part of me feels it is absurd but on some basic level I just believe it.

mystikspyral on
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'Fuck the lemons,' and bail" :rotate:
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Mr. G wrote: »
    The future in the movie Idiocracy will become a reality
    Not sure how absurd that one is at this point.

GungHo on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Leitner wrote: »

I believe within the next 150 years we'll have advanced to the point where computers and/or robots will be able to do the majority of work for us.

However, this will cause major economic and social upheaval due to the fact that only 40% of the population will need to work and our economy is based on the assumption that 95% of them will. Cue artificially holding back the tide by having humans do jobs that machines could do better, or major rage from the 40% still working while the other 60% are served by robot slaves.

I also believe eternal youth and drugs that can make you physically fit will show up in the next 150 years.

I'm really hoping the eternal youth thing is sooner rather than later, I'm hoping to surf from one life-extending technology to another til eventually I can get immortality. My current expiration date is...2055? So there better be something by then.

Scooter on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    enc0re wrote: »
    I believe in free will.

I was going to post that, but decided not to.

:lol:

quality

MrMonroe on