As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel Vs Capcom 2 Announced for 360/PS3: It's out for 360! 2 weeks for PS3 users!

• Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    aBlank wrote: »
    I'm just glad it's getting lobbies. Dover, you plan on hosting tourneys for this too? :0
    -low tier only tourney (certain characters banned)
    -MvC tourney (marvel characters only vs capcom only characters)
    -random select tourney
    -team tourney
    -suicide style tourney

Anyone else have any fun/interesting ideas?
    This is kind of crazy but how about some kind of imitation version of the ratio system from Capcom vs. SNK 2? It would be hard to imitate considering some of these characters are more like 100x ratio instead of just 3x but let's look at the tiers from the Shoryuken Wiki:
    God Tier:

Sentinel
    Storm
    Magneto
    Cable

Note:It is generally accepted that Sentinel and Storm are slightly above Cable and Magneto within this tier, but this is a very very slight difference.

Top Tier:

Cyclops
    Iron Man
    War Machine
    Doctor Doom
    Strider
    Spiral

Upper Tier:

Blackheart
    Psylocke
    Captain Commando
    Tron Bonne
    Dhalsim
    Anakaris

Middle Tier:

Cammy
    Colossus
    Gambit
    Iceman
    Juggernaut
    Marrow
    Guile
    Mega Man
    Omega Red
    Rogue
    Ruby Heart
    Charlie
    B.B.Hood
    Ken

Low Tier:

Akuma
    Ryu
    Silver Samurai
    M.Bison
    Captain America
    Jin
    Jill
    Wolverine
    Wolverine - Claw
    Venom
    Felicia
    Morrigan
    Sakura
    SonSon

Bottom Tier:

Amingo
    Chun-Li
    Hayato
    Sabretooth
    Hulk
    Shuma-Gorath
    Spiderman
    Thanos
    Zangief
    Dan
    Servbot

Roll Tier:

Roll

So let's say each player has 10 PP to mess with for team building. God Tier characters are worth 8 PP, Top Tier worth 6, Upper worth 5, Middle worth 4, Lower worth 3, Bottom worth 2, and Roll is a steal at 1 PP!

Here would be some example teams:

-Magneto is an 8 on this scale. So you can fill your team with 2 Rolls (1 PP character) to max out!
    -You really love Dan and Servbot, but have enough for a Cyclops afterwards so your team isn't totally lost.
    -You're a big Mega Man fan. And fortunately enough it looks like Mega Man plus Tron plus Roll adds up to 10. You lucky dog!

I think it would need MAJOR tweaking and even then it might not work out too well (and I'm honestly not the person to try tackling balance issues in this game), but it could be worth a shot.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man Daredevil and Elektra aren't in this game? REALLY?

They should just rename the game X-men and Friends vs. Capcom.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Listen, if you want to play Daredevil and Elektra, go play that EA marvel game that came out a few years back.

We'll be here, having fun.

Man, I can't wait to play Iceman again. ICEBEAM! ICEBEAM!

noir_blood on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm just glad it's getting lobbies. Dover, you plan on hosting tourneys for this too? :0
    -random select tourney
    -team tourney
    -suicide style tourney

This is kind of crazy but how about some kind of imitation version of the ratio system from Capcom vs. SNK 2? It would be hard to imitate considering some of these characters are more like 100x ratio instead of just 3x but let's look at the tiers from the Shoryuken Wiki:

snip

So let's say each player has 10 PP to mess with for team building. God Tier characters are worth 8 PP, Top Tier worth 6, Upper worth 5, Middle worth 4, Lower worth 3, Bottom worth 2, and Roll is a steal at 1 PP!

-Magneto is an 8 on this scale. So you can fill your team with 2 Rolls (1 PP character) to max out!
    -You really love Dan and Servbot, but have enough for a Cyclops afterwards so your team isn't totally lost.
    -You're a big Mega Man fan. And fortunately enough it looks like Mega Man plus Tron plus Roll adds up to 10. You lucky dog!

I think it would need MAJOR tweaking and even then it might not work out too well (and I'm honestly not the person to try tackling balance issues in this game), but it could be worth a shot.

That's an interesting idea, I'm not sure how well it will really work here though. Just because unless we're all experts tiers don't really matter that much. So for us there might not really be a difference between low - upper. I still think it's an interesting concept though, and I'm not just saying that because my Omega Red/Captain America/Venom team just happens to come out to exactly 10. :P

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

That's because they dumped all the sprites from their X-Men fighting game into MvC. And added two more X-Men, Cable and, for some unfathomable reason, Marrow.

Is Marrow even around anymore in the comics?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Barrabas wrote: »
    -random select tourney
    -team tourney
    -suicide style tourney

snip

That's an interesting idea, I'm not sure how well it will really work here though. Just because unless we're all experts tiers don't really matter that much. So for us there might not really be a difference between low - upper. I still think it's an interesting concept though, and I'm not just saying that because my Omega Red/Captain America/Venom team just happens to come out to exactly 10. :P
    Ah yes, that's very true. We'd probably have to wait until a normal tournament here or just a few player matches. Maybe even capture some videos of the matches to try to perceive if there really were any problems with certain characters (at least within this community).

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I had no idea Wolverine was low tier. For years I'd play against other people in the arcades, and someone would always pick Wolverine. I figured with his fast speed and combos he'd be among the most broken characters.

And Roll is below Servbot? Seriously?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jubeh wrote: »
    jack eddy wrote: »
    If there is a large enough PA following it could be real fun.

Yup. And we could ban the use of Magneto. 8-)

When you ban top tier characters other characters take their place and then a new top tier if formed.

WHEN WILL THE MADNESS END?

At Dan/Roll/Servbot only matches, obviously!

Slicer on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I had no idea Wolverine was low tier. For years I'd play against other people in the arcades, and someone would always pick Wolverine. I figured with his fast speed and combos he'd be among the most broken characters.

And Roll is below Servbot? Seriously?

Have you tried hitting Servbot? And actually, Servbot's specials and normals are a bit better than Roll's as well. Roll is pretty much garbage.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My low tier team consists of iceman, servbot, and just whoever.

Because you can't hit servbot, but he can still combo. And iceman.

Well seriously, everybody uses him.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm surprised Shuma Gorath is so low on that. He was always my go-to guy.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, I loved this game back in high school but I only had one friend who played it (we played on the DC). So it was me and him and sometimes random people at the mall.

I really liked playing with Magneto and Storm but I didn't know about any of the bullshit shenanigans I've been seeing in these videos. I'm a little bummed that they aren't doing any rebalancing but playing with PAers should at least be a lot of fun :D

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Roll's my main tho XD. My main team is Roll/Servebot/T.Bonne. ALWAYS.

So I'm more than happy that I've beaten M/S/S teams with mine.

(My secondary team used to be Jill/Sakura/T.Bonne)

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    eric.eric. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Ah this game is so awesome, i'm so happy it's coming to PS3. i can't wait to kill all my friends again at this game. we used to play so long, long, long, ago, until my one friend who owned it on PS2 sold it for like $80. The fucker.

eric. on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    -random select tourney
    -team tourney
    -suicide style tourney

*snip*

I totally dig this idea. I'm all about tweaking and tweaking until we get it right though. Maybe 12 points to start. That would stop a player from getting a God and High tier on one team. I think Barrabas is right though, we don't really know PA players skill level yet so a normal tournament to start should be fine.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jubeh wrote: »
    jack eddy wrote: »
    If there is a large enough PA following it could be real fun.

Yup. And we could ban the use of Magneto. 8-)

When you ban top tier characters other characters take their place and then a new top tier if formed.

WHEN WILL THE MADNESS END?

When everyone is playing a Roll/Dan/Servbot team, which incidentally was my main team for a while in this game.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The ratio things is a neat *idea,* but I don't really think that its something we need to worry about to be honest. MSSen doesn't auto-win matches for you. You need a lot of skill and years of practice to use that team like the pros do.

That and most of the people around here don't seem to keen on that team anyway. Or any other high level play teams for that matter.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Meh i don't care about the game but this means that my ps2 copy won't be worth shit anymore.

should have sold that shit when i had the chance. Oh well, lesson learned

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    All this tourney talk may force me to re-buy this for online play.

I used to rock so hard with my Venom/Cap/Iceman team.
    And was also very partial to my Jill/Sabretooth/Cap team.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »
    The ratio things is a neat *idea,* but I don't really think that its something we need to worry about to be honest. MSSen doesn't auto-win matches for you. You need a lot of skill and years of practice to use that team like the pros do.

Yeah picking mags/sent isn't exactly auto win. I mean how many people here can consistently do rom, fly/unfly, and other shenanigans like that much less on an x-box pad?

Low tier tourneys basically devolve into short xx short xx super either way and/or Iceman.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    They don't play marvel in japan. ):

Jubeh on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah it is only marginally similar to Japan.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I do a lot of speed.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Go back to /v/, the adults are talking

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jesus, guys. Shut the fuck up.

ANYWAY...

I'm down for a tourney, or multiple tourneys, so I can see how my triple Dan team fares after years of neglect.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What the hell is going on here?

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What the hell is going on here?

Some random troll trying to derail the thread and idiots replying to him...

Anyway, how about that MvC2 guys? 2 more days till the ps3 gets a demo.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Really? That soon? Cool. Will the demo have online multiplayer or is it offline only?

Fig-D on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    No fair, the Xbox is supposed to get everything ahead the 360 wah wah...

I would like to at least know when (or if) a demo is coming to the 360.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It *appears* as if the demo is PS3 only, but that could only be until the game comes out, who knows.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    If the demo ends up being as bad as the HDR one it won't really matter if anyone gets it.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Barrabas wrote: »
    If the demo ends up being as bad as the HDR one it won't really matter if anyone gets it.

That's true, but it's still something I can rub in your faces since you guys got the ability to save replays to HD in sf4!

No matter how bad it is i'll pretend it's the best thing ever.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »
    It *appears* as if the demo is PS3 only, but that could only be until the game comes out, who knows.

Well its mandatory that all XBL games have a trial version so I'm guessing that the demo is only exclusive to the ps3 till the game is released.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    this thread lacks necessary sound effects

FINAL JUSTICE!!

delphinus on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    6 playable characters (Ryu, Strider, Chun Li, Spiderman, Wolverine, and Iron Man) in the demo, with local multiplayer only. That's cool for a demo I suppose. It's funny that Iron Man is on that list. He's only there because of the success of the recent movie. If not for that flick, Hulk probably would have made it in.

Edit:

It's time for some payback! PROTON CANNON!!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    delphinus wrote: »
    this thread lacks necessary sound effects

FINAL JUSTICE!!

ULTIMATE SPIDER!!!

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    hahah i'm a troll? jesus christ you can't even insult me in non video game type words

Sir, please discontinue your childish antics.
    wtx5ra.jpg

Algertman on
  • Options
    SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Algertman wrote: »
    hahah i'm a troll? jesus christ you can't even insult me in non video game type words

Sir, please discontinue your childish antics.
    wtx5ra.jpg

Indeed. I thought it was cool to be a nerd now, anyways.

Sakeido on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    He's been reported. Leave him be.

But yeah, I'm a bit disappointed in the roster; I never played it originally, so when looking at the title I'm thinking it's going to be a Who's Who of the Marvel U.

But Marrow? Really? REALLY?

This game needs Daredevil, Elektra, Bullseye, Black Widow, Mr. Fantastic, Moon Knight, etc.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    He's been reported. Leave him be.

But yeah, I'm a bit disappointed in the roster; I never played it originally, so when looking at the title I'm thinking it's going to be a Who's Who of the Marvel U.

But Marrow? Really? REALLY?

This game needs Dante.

Sorry, you did it wrong. I have fixed your post so it follows the proper long established procedures for complaining about MvC 2's character selection.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1