As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Calculus Problems

histronichistronic Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys,

my calculus final is tomorrow and after going over my calculus review there are a few problems I could really use some help with.

1) Use local linear approximation at x=8 with the function f(x) = x^(1/3) to approximate 7.9^(1/3)

I know that local linear approximation looks something like this:
L(x) = f'(a)*(x-a)+f(a)

I don't know what I'm supposed to plug in for x and a.

2) A ball is thrown upward in the air from the edge of a building 96 feet tall with an initial velocity of 80 ft/sec. How fast is the ball moving when it hits the ground?

I'm pretty stumped on this one, how do I figure out what the acceleration is to plug into a velocity function?

3) Find the right Riemann sum with n=3 for the function f(x) = x^3 + 1 for x= -1 to x=2.

Is this really just the right endpoints for each integer from -1 to 2 plugged into the function?

WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
PSN: rlinkmanl
histronic on

• Options
    DJ-99DJ-99 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    histronic wrote: »
    Hey guys,

my calculus final is tomorrow and after going over my calculus review there are a few problems I could really use some help with.

1) Use local linear approximation at x=8 with the function f(x) = x^(1/3) to approximate 7.9^(1/3)

I know that local linear approximation looks something like this:
    L(x) = f'(a)*(x-a)+f(a)

I don't know what I'm supposed to plug in for x and a.

2) A ball is thrown upward in the air from the edge of a building 96 feet tall with an initial velocity of 80 ft/sec. How fast is the ball moving when it hits the ground?

I'm pretty stumped on this one, how do I figure out what the acceleration is to plug into a velocity function?

As far as 2) is concerned, it's the acceleration due to gravity. 9.81mm^2 I believe. Hopefully that's all you need to do that problem.

DJ-99 on
  • Options
    FuzzywhaleFuzzywhale Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Do you know about taylor series? If so 1. Is just the first two terms of a taylor series around x=7.9, evaluated at a=8. just plug those into your formula and go

Fuzzywhale on
  • Options
    Omega2112Omega2112 GW2 AKA: Robocow, Veristia Reaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    As far as 2) is concerned, it's the acceleration due to gravity. 9.81mm^2 I believe. Hopefully that's all you need to do that problem.

OP is using ft/sec and not m/s, so the acceleration is 32.2 feet/sec^2

Omega2112 on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah but if it's thrown upwards first you need to figure out how high it'll get.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Usually those kinds of problems use a flat 32 in ft/s^2 and 9.8 m/s^2.

The first one is basically using the tangent line to approximate the function. So plug in the value you want to estimate the function at into the tangent line equation.

Three is just as easy as you think it is.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    histronichistronic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

The first one is basically using the tangent line to approximate the function. So plug in the value you want to estimate the function at into the tangent line equation.

Thanks, that helped me a lot with those problems!

There is one more that I thought I could do but apparently am having a hard time with.

Evaluate the integral } x cos(x^2) dx

Can anyone explain how to do that? I'm very good at using u substitution but I don't see how it would work for this one...

histronic on
    WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
    PSN: rlinkmanl
  • Options
    AgentBryantAgentBryant CTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    histronic wrote: »

Thanks, that helped me a lot with those problems!

There is one more that I thought I could do but apparently am having a hard time with.

Evaluate the integral } x cos(x^2) dx

Can anyone explain how to do that? I'm very good at using u substitution but I don't see how it would work for this one...

Let u = x^2 , du = 2x dx

Then x cos(x^2) dx = 1/2 cos u du and I think you can take it from there

AgentBryant on