As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy: Two Final Fantasies In One Year? Holy Sh-

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Not to be a dick, but gamefaqs probably has the answer.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Zone wrote: »
    Hey can you guys suggest what I should do in ffta2? I'm doing the pearl hunting mission on hard and the boss is beating the crap out of me. Any suggestions on what classes I should use?

Tough melee classes with counter. When he does the big attack that draws everyone in and hits them all your guys will get a free counter attack, it's pretty much the only way to take him down quick enough.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Zone wrote: »
    Hey can you guys suggest what I should do in ffta2? I'm doing the pearl hunting mission on hard and the boss is beating the crap out of me. Any suggestions on what classes I should use?

I dunno...if there's one thing that game, it's that it's not very difficult as soon as you find the right class combinations. What race/class setup do you have right now?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This isn't related to the comic, but I had to post it.
    sample-0710e79f2c0076cf056c731d0b91.jpg

So damn cute.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Just played through Dirge of Cerberus (Yes, I actually like it for the most part) and I gotta say,

Is there a dumber, bitcher, stupider female character in Final Fantasy than Lucrecia?

Recklessly gets Vincent's dad killed,
    Marries E-VIL SCIENTIST incarnate man for the LULZ because *gasp* Vincent reminds her of her ginormous screw up and she can't handle it,
    Decides injecting ALIEN DNA into her unborn fetus is a good idea FOR SCIENCE,
    Generally acts like a stupid, selfish whore who has no idea what she wants,

An eternal unlife with Jenova is really what she deserves.

On the plus side, Hojo really was a damn pimp. Tapping that scientist booty and laughing in her face every chance he got. It's rather funny if you watch Cerberus in that light.
    Seriously, I feel bad for Vincent.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Haha, cute pic. I love how Yuffie's running around swiping whatever she can. I've been meaning to pick up Dirge on the cheap sometime. I'll probably like it. I'm still disappointed there isn't a Cid Highwind spinoff game. There needs to be more Cid Highwind, dammit.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Just played through Dirge of Cerberus (Yes, I actually like it for the most part) and I gotta say,

Is there a dumber, bitcher, stupider female character in Final Fantasy than Lucrecia?

Recklessly gets Vincent's dad killed,
    Marries E-VIL SCIENTIST incarnate man for the LULZ because *gasp* Vincent reminds her of her ginormous screw up and she can't handle it,
    Decides injecting ALIEN DNA into her unborn fetus is a good idea FOR SCIENCE,
    Generally acts like a stupid, selfish whore who has no idea what she wants,

An eternal unlife with Jenova is really what she deserves.

On the plus side, Hojo really was a damn pimp. Tapping that scientist booty and laughing in her face every chance he got. It's rather funny if you watch Cerberus in that light.
    Seriously, I feel bad for Vincent.

Pretty sure they didn't get married. To Hojo, the copulation was instrumental to science, and nothing more.

• Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like that pic, but is it sad that the first thing I thought of was, "But you wouldn't have Cid and Vincent in your party yet?"

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    Haha, cute pic. I love how Yuffie's running around swiping whatever she can. I've been meaning to pick up Dirge on the cheap sometime. I'll probably like it. I'm still disappointed there isn't a Cid Highwind spinoff game. There needs to be more Cid Highwind, dammit.

It's a fun action game for $15-20 bucks or so. There's a lot of weapon customizing you can do. And other than Vincent, Cid gets the most #!$%!# YEAH moments in the game.

Plot wise, the only thing that's really retarded other than Lucrecia is Shelke and her damn monotone "I-refer-to-you-by-your-full-name-Vincent-Valentine" dialog.

Other than that, it's great. Yuffie especially is hilarious, and the rest of the cast all get cool cameos.

Some people think DeepGround is silly, but that's sort of the point. They're a bunch of psychotic posers who *actually*think they have a prayer of killing the heroes of Final Fantasy VII. It's fun to watch them get demolished one by one.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The biggest problem with Dirge (although it has many) is that I've *NEVER* played a game that more blatantly shows your character doing awesome things and then sticks you right back in the thick of playing a mediocre action game where you don't have even a tenth the ability of your cutscene-counterpart.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    PunkBoy wrote: »

It's a fun action game for $15-20 bucks or so. There's a lot of weapon customizing you can do. And other than Vincent, Cid gets the most #!$%!# YEAH moments in the game.

Plot wise, the only thing that's really retarded other than Lucrecia is Shelke and her damn monotone "I-refer-to-you-by-your-full-name-Vincent-Valentine" dialog.

Other than that, it's great. Yuffie especially is hilarious, and the rest of the cast all get cool cameos.

Some people think DeepGround is silly, but that's sort of the point. They're a bunch of psychotic posers who *actually*think they have a prayer of killing the heroes of Final Fantasy VII. It's fun to watch them get demolished one by one.

Asses to you. Shelke was awesome, and is the one character I'll be hoping to make a return as a future party member.

Anyway, to compliment the adorable artwork....here's something that'll either qualify as incredibly overdone or incredibly bad-ass.

6220ae883a9d079bec844937c15ffa63.jpg

sample-9f67f52c0d4e86ddd92cd7e0e4af.jpg

I'm of the latter camp, and I've now got a sudden urge to see what an AU Edo-period FFVII would be like...

• Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Front Mission teaser site opens.

Funny how I'm immediately excited just from the flash teaser. I really hope it hits this year.

Are you sure it's for FM? Though I will agree it does give off a very FMy feel.

And if it is...please don't suck...please don't suck. Go back to the FM3 days when my melee/shotgun close quarters combo was king.

There's nothing funny about it. That teaser is fucking awesome.

Incidentally, does anyone have any idea where I can get a copy of Front Mission DS? Does this game even bloody exist? I don't mind importing. I'm pretty sure it never got a UK release. I just want to play with a proper SE localisation (although the fan job was pretty good.)

EDIT: erk, I mean, that Final Fantasy, pretty good, eh?
    I'm still only about halfway through FF7. I keep meaning to finish it but I always just end up playing Valkyrie Profile

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    They actually told the VA for Shelke they might have cause to have her back (I interviewed her when the game first came out). They then had her back for FF12 though to play Ashe (when I interviewed her again), and they hadn't mentioned FF7 or Shelke since.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My demo finally arrived yesterday, saweeeeeeeeeeeettt.

nerve on
  • Options
    nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This isn't related to the comic, but I had to post it.
    sample-0710e79f2c0076cf056c731d0b91.jpg

So damn cute.

whoa, are there anymore like that? maybe wallpaper size? :O

nerve on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd just like to say that the jump rope mini-game in FF IX is the worst mini-game in the history of mini-games.

Mini-game.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Worse then the Chocobo racing in FFX?

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh yes. Much worse.

Although it is comparable to the lightning dodging game in FF X for one of the ultimate weapons.

The difference being that I was actually able to finish that.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    major_tom wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Front Mission teaser site opens.

Funny how I'm immediately excited just from the flash teaser. I really hope it hits this year.

Are you sure it's for FM? Though I will agree it does give off a very FMy feel.

And if it is...please don't suck...please don't suck. Go back to the FM3 days when my melee/shotgun close quarters combo was king.

There's nothing funny about it. That teaser is fucking awesome.

Incidentally, does anyone have any idea where I can get a copy of Front Mission DS? Does this game even bloody exist? I don't mind importing. I'm pretty sure it never got a UK release. I just want to play with a proper SE localisation (although the fan job was pretty good.)

EDIT: erk, I mean, that Final Fantasy, pretty good, eh?
    I'm still only about halfway through FF7. I keep meaning to finish it but I always just end up playing Valkyrie Profile

They released it in NA so if there's no EU version your choices seem to be English or Japanese imports

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    langfor6 wrote: »
    Oh yes. Much worse.

Although it is comparable to the lightning dodging game in FF X for one of the ultimate weapons.

Yeah but its not like the jump rope game had anything useful in the long term.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Judging from the Youtube footage of the XIII demo, it looks like they are doing some kind of hybrid between the MMORPG feel of XII and the older final fantasy games. You transition to a fight mode, but you have freedom to move around.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    GunstarGunstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i just bought ff xii the other day. so far this is what i've learned

-my need to always play as vaan is really hurting my play style, as the enemies always attack me first since their gambit is usually attack: first visible, and i'm not really leveling him as being a tank
    -i suck at programming gambits
    -people die FAST
    -don't believe ondore's lies
    -dude i'm totally gonna go kill that t. rex AAAAAAAAAH
    -the depth of the license system is totally lost on me, as i just buy licenses for the strongest things i can buy

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
    Xbox : gunst4r
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    BigDes wrote: »
    Oh yes. Much worse.

I always wanted the King of Ropes, but could never get the 1000 jumps.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    @ Major Tom. Front mission on the DS is fucking terrible. Don't get it. Amano's artwork really shouldn't be used for in game profiles, because everyone looks exactly the same.

@ Gunstar.
    Make yourself a one of those holy triangle deals. 1 tank, 1 dps and 1 healer. I doubt you have the decoy ability yet, so for now you're stuck with hoping you're tank does enough damage to keep up.

Your DPS should only have Attack->Tank's Target, and nothing else. Your Tank should probably have Attack -> Lowest HP, except maybe for bosses. Your healer should probably have something like Ally HP Less than 70% Cure, then they're attack gambit, and then Ally Less than 90% Cure.

This way, in combat you're healer will still land a hit or two, and will top of your other guys once the fight is over.

If you want, post your gambits, and I can tell you whats up.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    BigDes wrote: »
    Oh yes. Much worse.

I always wanted the King of Ropes, but could never get the 1000 jumps.

I'm so thankful that all you got from jump rope was that and some cards for the crappy card game (where you can't even magically transform the cards into all kinds of powerful items - what's up with that?). I'd hate to feel obliged to play it.

Starcross on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Gunstar wrote: »

-my need to always play as vaan is really hurting my play style, as the enemies always attack me first since their gambit is usually attack: first visible, and i'm not really leveling him as being a tank
    -i suck at programming gambits
    -people die FAST
    -don't believe ondore's lies
    -dude i'm totally gonna go kill that t. rex AAAAAAAAAH
    -the depth of the license system is totally lost on me, as i just buy licenses for the strongest things i can buy

For gambits, put healing/status cure abilities before offensive abilities. Since potions are used immediately (no casting time), use them as an emergency fallback option with your gambits.

There's not a lot of depth to the license board. Before you can use an ability, you need to purchase it from the board. That's it. Everyone's board looks the same. You should look for an image of the entire, unhidden board online so you can plan ahead and buy only those licenses you want. Other than that, if you're in a bind ability-wise, grind for LP.

Like someone else said, this is essentially a single-person MMO, so play to those expectations. Plan who is going to fulfill what role in the group - who's DPS? Who's tank?

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So in FFVI I missed out on Mog because I went straight to the Floating Island once it opened
    Am I fucked or can I get Mog still y/n

Rent on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Gunstar wrote: »

I personally have the light armor users in my party (Vaan, Balthier) use ranged weapons most of the time.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Rent wrote: »
    So in FFVI I missed out on Mog because I went straight to the Floating Island once it opened
    Am I fucked or can I get Mog still y/n

Pretty sure you can only recruit Mog after the floating island incident, so no, you're not fucked.

Just MAKE SURE that when that section is ending, and you have the option to "Wait!", you pick "Wait".

Then you just wait.

• Options
    overdriveGTOoverdriveGTO Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You can get Mog in the WoR even if you missed him in the WoB. I believe the only difference is you can't get the Water dance for him in the WoR.

overdriveGTO on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    FF VI Advance has a WoR water fight, so no worries if playing that version.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, but the fight itself can only be fought once when you've beaten it, and it happens without choice the next time you take the ship from South Figaro to, uh, the other place.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ...You'll never take the ship by choice once you can fly, and you'll die if you try it too early.

Not a problem.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Progress update! Made it to Junon last night. Too bad that I'm going to be on a business trip for like 4 days. I could always bring my psp and see how laggy the remote play is.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »
    Progress update! Made it to Junon last night. Too bad that I'm going to be on a business trip for like 4 days. I could always bring my psp and see how laggy the remote play is.

It's pretty bad. I can't get a decent framerate/responsive controls when my PS3 and PSP are in the same room, with the PSP connecting directly rather than going through my router.

yurnamehere on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Seems to be responsive enough for me with very little lag when I'm in my apartment, same room or not. I have been playing this mostly on the psp while the wife is watching tv. I do know that when I do an internet connection it can be attrocious, so I am skeptical.

And by Junon I ment Costa Del Sol.

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
  • Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My experiment was done with Castlevania: SOTN, where input lag is a bit bigger deal.

yurnamehere on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    True that, but then again, I got SOTN access on my psp via Dracula X.

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
  • Options
    DarkChildx2kDarkChildx2k Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    Hi guys,

This is the creator of the FFVII Exegesis Comic Series, DarkChildx2k. I was told by Professor Snugglesworth to pass by here so I have.

Thanks for having me here.

~DarkChildx2k
    http://darkchildx2k.deviantart.com

FF7ONLINE
    http://ff7online.deviantart.com

DarkChildx2k on
  • Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Square Enix fast-tracking Final Fantasy XIII localization
    Traditionally the Final Fantasy numbered series, it takes about half a year between the release in Japan and the release in North America, and another half a year before it's released in Europe. But we would like to minimise this, this time.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/05/square-enix-fast-tracking-final-fantasy-xiii-localization/

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List