As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Advertising

OverlardOverlard Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Debate and/or Discourse
I've received 14 spam emails so far today (and it's only 10.30am) offering me penis enlargement (as if I didn't have confidence problems enough), degrees from totally genuine seats of education, theatre tickets, speed-dating and pills galore. I know this because I still have the list in front of me. A swift delete in a moment will sort that out though.

But I know I was bombarded with adverts from the moment I woke up this morning. On the radio, TV, in the paper, on the internet etc. You know what was advertised? Coz I sure as hell don't. The only advert I remember actually taking in was due to the well-endowed woman showing the product off. I'm shallow. Don't judge me.

Have we become resistant to advertising? Do they wash over us, unheard? Are they just more noise to tune out? I think so. Advertisers are stretching to find novelty ideas to grab our attention - the boxer who sold space on the soles of his shoes when he was certain he'd lose comes to mind. In-game adverts look like they're gonna become the norm, helped by included-as-standard spyware

Someone pointed me to this site with the promise of a free Wii (like I said, shallow). For those too lazy to click, it's a new form of advertising where people are paid to hold up their thumbs which are covered in adverts. It makes more sense than it sounds. I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand it's quite funny and more imaginative than your standard billboard, but then again I always feel sorry for the guy in the street wearing a sandwich board and pointing me towards the Golf Sale 450 yards up the road.

I admire the novelty, but is it a step up or a step down for marketing? the business is growing, but is this the kind of stuff we want to see? It's not the kind of thing you can drag into a trash can (at least not without legal action, one way or another), but it's not overly intrusive either.

What do you think about the ever-increasing adverts, and the new methods employed to attract our gaze (and cash)?

mario.png
Overlard on

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The thumb thing is likely either a gaffe or someone that is really stretching to keep hold of their classic understanding of the term 'marketing.' TV ads and billboard space has become less useful and companies are aware of this. So they're going more viral and more hidden in their sales attempts. As far as spam goes, well that's just a matter of robots being able to cover an impossibly large area with shit. Even if 10 people click the link for a joke they've probably paid for themselves

Regardless, your penis is rather small.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    moniker wrote:
    Regardless, your penis is rather small.
    Well played Moniker. Well played.

Overlard on
    mario.png
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    It's not that we have become more resistant to advertising. It's that the marketting industry is oversaturated with clueless idiots. But every now and then you'll see an ad designed by people who "get it", and you'll remember it and the product it is marketting.

We have become resistant to shitty advertising in particular, not advertising in general. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately, depending on your perspective), shitty advertising seems to be the norm in the USA.

ege02 on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    See Minority Report.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    See Minority Report.
    I remember that now - with the retinal scans personalising adverts for you? And making "recommendations"? I remember thinking that was kinda cool at the time, but now...

Overlard on
    mario.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    During the World Championship a Dutch supermarket bought like 3 minutes of ad-time for a few games and played a complete song they had written themselves to draw attention to "Wuppies" little fluffy dolls you could get when you bought enough. Millions of people heard the song, the radio picked it up and the Wuppies were sold out within a week.

The supermarket couldn't provide more and people started to rob cars to steal Wuppies and other started selling them on eBay.

What I'm saying: Not all commercials are blocked out by us, as long as it's hyped enough, people will buy it.

Aldo on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Overlard wrote:
    See Minority Report.
    I remember that now - with the retinal scans personalising adverts for you? And making "recommendations"? I remember thinking that was kinda cool at the time, but now...

Yeah, and we're getting to that point in gaming. See BF2142. Hell, I really wonder if my credit card company is sharing my purchasing data with their partners I buy from?

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Overlard wrote:
    See Minority Report.

Yeah, and we're getting to that point in gaming. See BF2142. Hell, I really wonder if my credit card company is sharing my purchasing data with their partners I buy from?
    I wouldn't be surprised. There are "potential cutomer" lists that get sold for a lot of money.

Overlard on
    mario.png
  • Options
    MikestaMikesta Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Head On! Apply directly to the forehead! Head On! Apply directly to the forehead!

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

You mess with the dolphin, you get the nose.
  • Options
    ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You don't have to have the product firmly in mind for an ad to be sucessful (where "sucessful" means eventually parting you and your cash) Even if you don't really remember the product as long as it got encoded in your memory, however lightly, there's a better chance you'll show a preference for the product later on. That's all most ads do, familiarize you so when you see it in the store you get a warm fuzzy and maybe buy it. Once in a while a good campaign comes along that's really clever (Nikes "why sport" comes to mind) But you don't have to be activly thinking about the ad for it to affect you (No I am not talking about subliminal ads)

The internet ads are just lamer because they are so cheap to mass produce so they hyper saturate and tend to blend together in memory (one bigger dick ad looks like every other bigger dick ad) So, when your choices are between three or four different brands of soft drink a "familiarization" ad might work but when it's dozens if not hundreds, maybe even thousands of seemingly random dick/pill/date ads it all gets lost in the shuffle.

except for really agressive/annoying ones. I make a point to remember them so that I NEVER buy from that co.

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    Scurvy StanScurvy Stan Registered User new member
    edited December 2006
    I find I ignore most any form of advertising anymore. It's like the brain just learns what's an ad and what's not and I gloss right over it. I can't recall one commercial or magazine ad I've seen today, yet I recall the shows and articles I was reading quite well.

Ads themselves just don't seem as impactful either. Thanks to the internet I've already seen most any product of interest before ads ever even hit the street. I also base my purchasing decisions on opinions of people I know or various forum users I trust, etc. Advertising is basically an annoyance that slows the consumption of real information anymore.

Scurvy Stan on
  • Options
    Vanilla CokeVanilla Coke Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    As much as I'd like to think that nobody falls for internet ads anymore, every time I go to the library there's someone filling out a "Free 200$ Grocery Gift Card" form or something such as that.

Vanilla Coke on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ads are mostly for people who are habitual consumers, anyways, like those nuts who buy clothing to only wear ONCE, -ever-.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Overlard wrote:
    See Minority Report.
    And ironically, in the same movie that was trying to make a point of how ridiculous advertising could get, there was a ton of real-life advertising in the movie itself.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    MikestaMikesta Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Ads are mostly for people who are habitual consumers, anyways, like those nuts who buy clothing to only wear ONCE, -ever-.
    Or those guys that get their paycheck, say "Hey, I've got money!" and then spend the entire check on a complete stereo system. For their bedroom.

Or a cowboy hat.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

You mess with the dolphin, you get the nose.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Mikesta wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Or those guys that get their paycheck, say "Hey, I've got money!" and then spend the entire check on a complete stereo system. For their bedroom.

Or a cowboy hat.

Or people with credit cards.

*shivers*

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I remebr taking English in 12th grade and part of the class focused on advertising. Anyway according to that class the best advertising is where the subject doesn't know that something is actually being advertised. Advertising usually doesn't and isn't aimed towards the "omg I want to go buy it now"scenarios because that tends to not work, what it does attempt to do is plan the brand name and item in your memory so when your next at the store thinking about buying something the product will pop up in your memory and you'll buy it.
    Incenjucar wrote:

This type of thinking is totally wrong. It has nothing whatsoever to do with habitual consumers, all its trying to do is plant the idea in your mind so that when your in the store faced with two almost identical products you buy theirs. The most powerful advertising isn't even on TV or any other form its associating your product with a profession. A few years ago Sprite hit it big with associating it self with hip hop and Nike does it with pretty much every sport and having the athletes wear their gear with their trademark.

khain on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I think our definitions aren't crossing.

A habitual consumer, in my usage, is someone who buys things because they have a social comfort associated with it, rather than someone who actually researches something.

I did not mean someone who is outright addicted to wasting money on crap.

--

Personally, I'm an anti-consumer of sorts. Any time something is advertised too hard at me, my assumption is that it's probably doing so to cover up a lack of actual value.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I was thinking about this earlier today because right now, as we speak, there are at least a half-dozen ads for things that aren't food in my refridgerator. Seriously, look at your food packaging and Coke bottles and you'll see them.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Azio wrote:
    I was thinking about this earlier today because right now, as we speak, there are at least a half-dozen ads for things that aren't food in my refridgerator. Seriously, look at your food packaging and Coke bottles and you'll see them.

My coke can wants me to buy polar bears.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    RevenantDieselRevenantDiesel Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Overlard wrote:
    Someone pointed me to this site with the promise of a free Wii (like I said, shallow). For those too lazy to click, it's a new form of advertising where people are paid to hold up their thumbs which are covered in adverts. It makes more sense than it sounds.
    Actually, this form of advertising appeals to me. It's non-intrusive, supports thse who actually need the cash (I'm guessing that thumb-modelling isn't exactly a glamourous job, but might pay some bills), and is kind of amusing.

As long as no-one sticks their thumb in my eye screaming "Buy meeeeeeeee!", I'm OK with it.

RevenantDiesel on
    banner2.gif
    Support charity. Or else.
  • Options
    RevenantDieselRevenantDiesel Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Having checked around a bit, it appears that the thumb-vertising is a spoof. It even says as much here. :oops:

None of us seemed surprised by it thoughh, or even that suspicious. Guess it's only a matter of time before this does happen.

RevenantDiesel on
    banner2.gif
    Support charity. Or else.