As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Comic Thread: Wednesday, April 29, 2009

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Prince of Persia was a fine game to watch someone else play.

Prince of Persia was too limited in it's input, I get what they were trying to do, but it made the entire thing not fun.

Blake T on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    I liked the new prince of persia :(

You mean Mirror's Edge? Yeah, it was pretty nice. Could've done with a little less-strict rules for grabbing ledges in midair, but overall it really did a great job of keeping the feeling of the original Prince of Persia.

Defender on
    edited April 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    Prince of Persia was a fine game to watch someone else play.

Prince of Persia was too limited in it's input, I get what they were trying to do, but it made the entire thing not fun.

Exactly! Just like AC, there was basically nothing for the player to do, no meaningful freedom of choice or challenge.

Defender on
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, the newest Prince of Persia was simply going through the movements.

Movements that might reveal dialogue or story. Combat too, lacked any meaningful choices in attack or defense.

Was mirror's edge any good?

Corp.Shephard on
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    well, there's always http://www.mirrorsedge2d.com/

Randall_Flagg on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I liked Mirror's Edge, but I'm glad I only payed $30 for it. If they build on it in the right way a sequel could be really good.

Speed Racer on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I only played the demo for mirror's edge

it was disorienting and frustrating so that's as far as it went

TheySlashThem on
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, the newest Prince of Persia was simply going through the movements.

Movements that might reveal dialogue or story. Combat too, lacked any meaningful choices in attack or defense.

Was mirror's edge any good?
    Koshian wrote: »
    I just kind of passed over mirrors edge

first-person platforming has never sat well with me

maybe I should try the demo or something sometime

Mirror's Edge is a good idea with some execution flaws. I got it used and it is definitely worth that price. The first-person platforming isn't actually too bad, and although it's more difficult than third-person, the game makes up for it, I think, by the extra immersion gained. Things like rolling are disorienting, but it's actually very realistic in that regard. When you are in a roll, yeah, it's a blur, but when you come up you have a decent idea of where you are. It works. The main flaw that I see is that sometimes you'll go to jump to a ledge and miss the "catch zone" by an inch and Faith will just fall and die. It's a little frustrating, but checkpoints seem to be frequent enough that it's not a serious issue.

I seriously think it's worth trying. At least get the demo or rent it or something.

Defender on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The only thing that stopped me was when I got stuck in an area where you had to fight, and it seemed like the second I tried to leave cover I was gunned down and killed. It's like I died before I even had time to get a sense of the room.

Speed Racer on
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, you're really not supposed to fight. Sometimes you don't get a moment to get your bearings, you just have to move your ass. I think that's deliberate, to create the sensation of flight from danger.

Defender on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just kind of passed over mirrors edge

first-person platforming has never sat well with me

maybe I should try the demo or something sometime
    The story is rubbish the engine the engine is fantastic and I love the game to bits.

It's just fun to run around and figure out little moves that save you that second here and there.

The time trials is the meat and the potatoes of the game not the single player experience.

A tip though, if you do want to get the test of faith achievement (which is not to shoot anyone in the entire game) do not try and get it on the first play through it spoils the experience.

Blake T on
    edited April 2009
    Defender wrote: »
    Yeah, you're really not supposed to fight. Sometimes you don't get a moment to get your bearings, you just have to move your ass. I think that's deliberate, to create the sensation of flight from danger.

Yeah, 99% of the time you're better off to just dodge through the guards. I remember one area though where you had no choice but to fight. The only way to move forward was to climb a pipe, and if you didn't take out the guards in the area they would kill you while you tried to climb.

In the place I got stuck, I went through a door into a warehouse when 3 or 4 guards started shooting at me. I started off behind cover, but if I moved from behind it was only a matter of time before I got gunned down. I'm sure I was just missing something obvious but after about 45 minutes of trying it I gave up.

The real meat and potatoes was in the time trials anyway.

Speed Racer on
    edited April 2009
    The only thing that stopped me was when I got stuck in an area where you had to fight, and it seemed like the second I tried to leave cover I was gunned down and killed. It's like I died before I even had time to get a sense of the room.

It sounds like you were running with the flight of the bullets, this is a mistake, if you run perpendicular to them you are more likely to dodge them, running directly towards someone is almost guaranteed suicide.

Blake T on
  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    this comic had one of those jokes that just make me sigh and roll my eyes.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The story worked for Mirrors Edge. Simple, yes. Bad? Not really.

It's on my top ten list. Great fucking engine.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    edited April 2009
    Don't get me wrong I love the game to pieces.

The story was terrible.

Blake T on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Assassin's Creed was a ton of fun. Admittedly you had to go a bit out of your way for the fun (turn off the game's entire HUD and make sure you use all your weapons for variety), but it was a lot of fun.

Mirror's Edge was really fun. Though I really regret paying full price for it. I beat the game in 4 and a half hours on my first run though, and that was getting the don't shoot anyone achievement, which really wasn't hard at all, considering how powerful melee was anyway in a pinch.

The story was bad. It could've been something decent too. Their attempt at portal-esque graffiti stuff was really weak too.

Really wish they would have made some real multiplayer modes for the game or something.

Inquisitor on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    BusterK wrote: »
    Couldn't you lez it up in the first Knights of the Old Republic
    With that cat woman?

I honestly hated her, so much. Her design was just awful and her voice was also awful.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So when Neville plays KOTOR, he's not looking at Carth's ass?

Urge to make colon joke, rising...
    rising...

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Mirror's Edge was the shit

I played the entire story in one sitting and then went back and replayed several levels that I particularly loved for another three days before I took it back to the rental place

Me Too! on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've got a question. I'm not making a thread for it because it's a simple question, and this thread may be suitable to answer it.

The Penny Arcade favicon...

What is it? Is there a reference or source or reason for that little orange bear... or... mouse... or... dead thing?

Thanks!.......

GPIA7R on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's a wombat.

Metzger Meister on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's a wombat.

Is there a story behind that? A comic, perhaps? Or is it just a wombat for the sake of being a wombat?

GPIA7R on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    It's a wombat.

Is there a story behind that? A comic, perhaps? Or is it just a wombat for the sake of being a wombat?

Their old clan was CW, but it stood for Clan Walrus, so I have no idea.

Inquisitor on
  • Ness445Ness445 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ness445 wrote: »
    bioshock didn't have a 300 page radio address by....shit now I've forgotten his name, the guy who says "Would you kindly?", though.

atlas!
    fontaine!
    I figured this out and edited my post exactly one minute before you posted this.

I knew it was something ridiculously easy to remember.

edit: the wombat has shown up in at least one comic previously, see20001004h.jpg

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    It's a wombat.

Someone has way too much time on their hands and access to Wikipedia
    A wombat's head design that makes various appearances in the comic strip, and is featured as the site's favicon, making it something of an unofficial logo. Penny Arcade newcomers often mistake the wombat for a bear, or as a reference to the "scary bears" found in Radiohead's merchandise. The Wombat first appeared on a green pennant Tycho was holding on January 22, 1999, in the strip "Saving Private ION" before settling in as the identifying icon on Kara's clothing, imitating the iconographic association between Gabe and Pac-Man.

JoeUser on
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's the cover of the Necronewbicon.

Or Necrowombicon... that.

Also, what the fuck Wikipedia?
    This article may contain an excessive amount of intricate detail that may only interest a specific audience.
    The hell it does! Then what the fuck you call the Star Trek entry?

jwalk on
    edited April 2009
    Man, what else is Wikipedia for except excessive details that only a small number of people care about?

JoeUser on
    edited April 2009
    take any wiki article, say, The Universe.

then compare it to a similar article but based on a fictional franchise, say, the Star Wars Universe.

bam motherfuckers.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
    edited April 2009
    Ness445 wrote: »
    take any wiki article, say, The Universe.

then compare it to a similar article but based on a fictional franchise, say, the Star Wars Universe.

bam motherfuckers.

Wasn't that a Something Awful game?

JoeUser on
    edited April 2009
    pretty sure that's where I first got the idea.

let me see if I can find it via google.

edit: Yeah, wikigroaning.

basically you do what I just said.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
    edited April 2009
    It is

It's called wikigroaning

You take two similar articles, one about a nerdy thing one about a normal thing, and see which is longer

Me Too! on
    edited April 2009
    I remember when every Pokemon had its own Wikipedia page.

Speed Racer on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That's what Bulbapedia is for.

Clint Eastwood on
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Someone needs to make a metawiki

like a wiki with entries on all the other wikis

and then the world can end

Butler on
    edited April 2009
    You know what amazes me

Deletion for irrelevance

This is the place where all that irrelevant bullshit should go

There will always be print encyclopedias, they will always have the important stuff

The internet was made for irrelevant information

Me Too! on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DARPAnet would like a word with you, Wiggin.

Abracadaniel on
    edited April 2009
    Lies and deceit the internet was created as a repository for all of mankind's bullshit

How else do you explain grouphug and wikifur and wookiepedia (a guy in my flight admitted to being one of the top contributors to wookiepedia to which I responded "you're a faggot")

Me Too! on
  • KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    the internet could only have one purpose

Kovak on
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This is pretty creepy. I was reading the gay thread on the TOR forums earlier today, and then I pop onto Penny Arcade, and they've made a comic about it!

Burden of Proof on
This discussion has been closed.