As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Comic Thread: Wednesday, April 29, 2009

12345679»

• Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i had fun with assassin's creed. but i didn't pay for it and i was playing it at the highest resolution possible on a 70 inch HDTV so that might have had something to do with it.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i had fun with assassin's creed. but i didn't pay for it and i was playing it at the highest resolution possible on a 70 inch HDTV so that might have had something to do with it.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Defender for a game that you dislike so much why did you play it so much?

Blake T on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    usually if a game doesn't convince me that I like it within the first five minutes it goes right back into the gamefly envelope

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    Defender for a game that you dislike so much why did you play it so much?

Professional research. (Not joking.)

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    In Megaman 1 there's a glitch where if you shoot your electric-weapon, you can mash the start button to rapidly pause and unpause. Every time you unpause the weapon deals damage again, so you can just fire one shot at a boss and mash the start button to instantly kill them. You can use it anywhere you want, but it's only particularly useful or preferable to not cheating near the end of the game, when you're fighting large enemies with complicated attack patterns and big damage bars that don't move around very much. That doesn't really have any bearing on the points you made, I just figured I'd explain it real quick so that we were on the same ground.

OK, thanks for explaining that.
    In the case of Assassin's Creed I'd say you're absolutely right, but more generally I think you can have situations where you can have a game that's deep and rewarding so long as you ignore something that completely tips the balance in your favor, if only hypothetically, which I only say because off the top of my head I can't think of a good example.

I won't say that it's totally impossible. However, please consider that you're talking about something game-breaking that you always have at your disposal. So you never really get beaten; when you lose, you know it's because you chose to let the computer beat you by not using the broken move.

So it might be possible, but it would be a lot easier if it were something irrevocable. Like if a certain player character class were broken, you could pick a different class at the start of the game, assuming the game never lets you change class, and then you can play the game without the broken crap. But if the power is always at your disposal, like counter in AC, then you know that you can always win, so instead of losing or being forced to find new ways out of tough spots (or just raise your skill level in general), you're always given the fallback option of "push the I WIN button."

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

It did look very nice. The framerate was kinda...butts. Still, it did look nice. How far through did you play?

Defender on
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Defender wrote: »

It did look very nice. The framerate was kinda...butts. Still, it did look nice. How far through did you play?

admittedly i only played til, like, the 5th or 6th assassination. but the repetitiveness of the pre-mission shit didn't really bother me.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ITT Defender doesn't understand that sometimes people do things because they are fun and/or awesome.

Shorty on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Defender is basically the forum's retarded, robot little brother.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I didn't just stand there and counter because that's fucking boring. I would grab a guy and throw him into another then attack yet another to throw him off balance and I would counter when I'm attacked. If all you do is stand there and counter, of course it isn't going to be fun. This isn't something that anyone should have to be told, nor is it something that the game is at all responsible for.

Defender's whole argument is essentially just like if you said that Michael Crichton is a spec-fic author, and then immediately stated that he sucks at writing spec-fic. It's silly to put a set of constraints on something that weren't there, and then holding the thing responsible for them. At no point in the game was some rule ever given that in any situation you have to do what is the "most effective", and even if it were, it could very easily be argued that any time you're standing there waiting for the enemy to attack, you are wrong. I'd say more but now I want to go play TF2.

Shorty on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Shorty before you play TF2 you should ask Defender the best way to play it to maximise your fun.

Blake T on
This discussion has been closed.