As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LARP weapons in Seattle

Peter PrinciplePeter Principle Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Are there any places in Seattle (& surrounding areas) that stock LARP weapons?

"A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business." - Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_
Peter Principle on

• Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The wizard behind the old oak will replenish your mana in exchange for ten goblin ears.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The wizard behind the old oak will replenish your mana in exchange for ten goblin ears.

Funny you should mention that, because I heard that your mom on 2nd & Pike will drain my mana for $20.

Peter Principle on
    "A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business." - Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I didn't actually know that there are places that stock LARP weapons. Does anyone know of any online stores that do so?

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Peter Principle on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I didn't actually know that there are places that stock LARP weapons. Does anyone know of any online stores that do so?

If nothing else, I imagine a well stocked theatre/special effects/costume shop might have some gear. Not anything you could really abuse much, as it'd likely be fairly cheap/flimsy plastic, but in a pinch it'd be better than nothing.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

This is the best response ever given in any thread.

urahonky on
  • Options
    grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Funny you should mention that, because I heard that your mom on 2nd & Pike will drain my mana for $20.

I think you mean $d20.

Seriously, I know nothing about LARPing but I would check costume shops or if there's a Ren Fair, there might a more appropriate selection at any costume shops near that.

grungebox on
    Quail is just hipster chicken
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Q1. Are you using these LARP weapons to LARP, or are you using them for something else?

Q2. If so, have you considered asking some of the guys you LARP with where they get their stuff? The thing about some of the more-fringe entertainment passtimes is that you're probably not going to get a specific answer throwing questions out to the general populace -- but the people who live within that fringe are all over it.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    SammyF wrote: »
    Q1. Are you using these LARP weapons to LARP, or are you using them for something else?

Q2. If so, have you considered asking some of the guys you LARP with where they get their stuff? The thing about some of the more-fringe entertainment passtimes is that you're probably not going to get a specific answer throwing questions out to the general populace -- but the people who live within that fringe are all over it.

R1. I'm going to chop my kids with them, and they're going to return the favor. They're ages 12, 9 and 6. The oldest might be a bit old for it, but the two younger kids are going to eat it up.

R2. I don't LARP, nor do I plan to.

Peter Principle on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Have you considered wrapping pvc pipe with foam and covering with duct tape? I mean... that's essentially what many larp weapons end up being.

Or you could do like we did when I was a kid and just use sticks/branches/random wood scraps that vaguely resemble swords.

Daenris on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    SammyF wrote: »

R1. I'm going to chop my kids with them, and they're going to return the favor. They're ages 12, 9 and 6. The oldest might be a bit old for it, but the two younger kids are going to eat it up.

R2. I don't LARP, nor do I plan to.

I see. In that case, I'd suggest expanding your search to include martial arts suppliers. I prefered the traditional bamboo shinai when I learned kenjutsu, but you can probably find someone who makes foam katanas/wakizashi.

edit: searching for the words "foam katana" caused me to find this site. Plenty of LARP stuff there for you to order.

SammyF on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Building your own is very easy. Jo Ann's should carry large blocks of open-cell foam and home depot should carry the pipe insulation.
    Cut large blocks of foam with an electric knife.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Not for nothing, but if you're thinking about hitting a six-year-old with a sword-like object, it's probably better to buy one from a reputable vendor than it is to make one in your garage. I don't know why, I just have this hunch that a jury would find that less disturbing. :P

SammyF on
  • Options
    SkittlebrauSkittlebrau Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If you're just using them to play around with your kids, I've seen NERF swords at Wal-Mart. They're not the weird, floppy fencing-type swords I remember from 15 years ago, but I imagine those would fit the bill.

Skittlebrau on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There's also "pool noodles" (I have no idea what the actual name for them is; it may, in fact, be pool noodles) which I've seen at Walmart. They're basically long pieces of floating foam thicker than most people's arms (settle down, no need to break out the 22 inch pythons, guys) and are fairly safe to beat the hell out of each other with, in my experience.

Word of warning if you do have a pool; once they get good and water logged, they become a little more worthy of respect; with enough momentum built up, you can really clock someone with one. Also, use them roughly enough and the foam starts coming apart. But they're cheap and might/should be available at your local Walmart.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm not really interested in home made boffers or nerf toys.

Peter Principle on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Have you asked around comic shops or roleplaying shops (Gamesworkshop eg?).

One of them might stock them or have nerdy enough staff/customers to know where to get them.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I've called a few, no dice. I didn't think about Games Workshops, good suggestion. I'll be calling a few of the various outlets today.

Peter Principle on
  • Options
    KatoKato Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm not really interested in home made boffers or nerf toys.
    That is too bad. My kids have a nerf sword...that thing hits far harder than you think. Trust me. lol We are going to be buying more after we found some foam shields at Toys R us a few weeks back. Good times in the back yard indeed...yes oh fuck yes. ehehehe

Kato on
    Signature??
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    I've called a few, no dice. I didn't think about Games Workshops, good suggestion. I'll be calling a few of the various outlets today.

They probably won't actually stock them, but they might know somewhere that does or know someone who knows someone. The only place I've ever seen them being sold was in a comic shop, but that was in Germany where I believe LARPing is a lot more popular than other countries.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    There's also "pool noodles" (I have no idea what the actual name for them is; it may, in fact, be pool noodles) which I've seen at Walmart. They're basically long pieces of floating foam thicker than most people's arms (settle down, no need to break out the 22 inch pythons, guys) and are fairly safe to beat the hell out of each other with, in my experience.

Word of warning if you do have a pool; once they get good and water logged, they become a little more worthy of respect; with enough momentum built up, you can really clock someone with one. Also, use them roughly enough and the foam starts coming apart. But they're cheap and might/should be available at your local Walmart.

And if you leave them out in the sun for a year, they develop the texture of sand-paper, so when you smack your friend across the back next summer, not only do you leave a bruise, but you take of skin, and ingrain thousands of little pieces of lime green foam into his back.

I was the friend.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Contact some LARP groups, the last (and only one) I played with had some guys running a company who provided the players with pretty much anything they wanted.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    E.Coyote on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Forar wrote: »

The mental image of someone LARPing with a pool noodle makes me giggle uncontrollably.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    More than regular LARPing? Or less than?

SammyF on