As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sleeping on the floor...

MuragoMurago Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
My new house is great. My new room is small. It did not properly fit my king size. I've removed my bed and I've decided to try sleeping on the floor. Last nite was the first nite. Not too bad...little stiff in my neck this morning, but I'm stretching it out.

Anyone have any experience with this? I'm actually kinda excited...I have shit ton more room now and walk around freely and don't feel so claustrophobic. Any health risks I should be worried about? I dunno if i buy into the bull hunky about needing an omazing mattress -- i don't feel tired at all today. AI think i may get a small foam mattress though, some sweet long pillows...and ride this bitch out japanese/indian style!

Check out www.myspace.com/scarborough -- tell me what you think!
Murago on

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I slept on the floor for about a year straight when I had to move around a lot for work. Never had an issue with it. There's an element of novelty to having sex on the floor when you bring a lady/gent over, as well. I'd recommend a few futon pads (not the fold-out couch thing, the actual suffed quilted pad). Put a couple down, put a sheet down and wrap it around the edges of the pads, tucking the excess underneath, whatever blankets and sheets you need on top of that.

SammyF on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just make sure you get a proper mattress, or you're gonna fuck up your spine. I think there are supposedly some problems with keeping a mattress on the floor (easier for bedbugs to infest it or something like that), but really, if it works and you don't become a hive for some malodorous brood, it's cool. I keep my mattress on the floor.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I slept on the floor of my parents house back when I was younger. The house was just full of all my siblings, cousin, and step brother.

Being the youngest, naturally, I slept on the floor.
    I was always told that sleeping on the floor can be good for your back. Weather that is the truth or not I don't know. But I slept there for a couple of years and had no problems with my back/neck at all. Infact after a while, sleeping in a bed became fairly hard and restless.
    If you like it and it does not make you uncomfortable, go for it. Use a pillow though :-P

Edit: I didn't use a mattress, it was berber carpet so it wasn't exactly cushioney. Some nights I went crazy and put a blanket on the floor.

rfalias on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Make sure you air out whatever you use for a floor pad every once in a while, the heat from your body will wick in moisture during the night and may cause rot and mold in the carpet/pad.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    rfalias wrote: »
    If you like it and it does not make you uncomfortable, go for it. Use a pillow though :-P

And for christ's sake have somewhere comfortable to fuck, the novelty wears off real fast.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    MuragoMurago Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Straight up. I'm a pretty clean individual, so i'm not worried about critters...(though i'm sure i've eaten my share of spiders in the wee hours of the long nite.

Anyway, this is exciting, i think i'll go pickup two mattress pads or something. I'm also exciting about the novelty of sex on the floor...i'm interested on what this means. We'll see.

maybe...if i can ever get a girl in there.

Murago on
    Check out www.myspace.com/scarborough -- tell me what you think!
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

And for christ's sake have somewhere comfortable to fuck, the novelty wears off real fast.

Kitchen counter?
    Washer/dryer?
    :winky:

rfalias on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just get an air mattress from the camping section of your local department store.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Kitchen counter?
    Washer/dryer?
    :winky:

Kitchen table, shower stall, outside on the balcony overlooking the river ...

Sometimes you just need a comfortable spot to have a shag though, so have at least a futon or a couch.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I sleep on the floor sometimes to help my back. If I accidentally stress my lower back muscles lifting something incorrectly or through some similar activity it helps me a lot if I sleep on a hard surface. Of course this is all anecdotal but I don't buy into the whole "you need a $4,000 mattress to get a good night's sleep" thing. Just as long as you have minimal padding to avoid sore spots where you touch the floor it should be fine. You could use a foam camping mat.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I had my mattress on the floor for awhile and I had no problems with it. Was never able to sleep on the floor as my back is picky and would whine all day when I tried

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    b0bd0db0bd0d Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Uh...i've been sleeping on the floor for bout the last 8-9 years. I didn't have a bed for a long time and I just got used to it. It got to the point where I'd try and sleep on a bed and I'd hate it. End up back on the floor right next to the bed. Or underneth it. That always cracked people up. "Where is he? Oh...under the bed...man, you're crazy."

A blanket or two as a pallet works great. I use an old sleeping bag and just sleep on top of that. There is a lotta dust and shit on the floor, not stuff you just casually wanna lay in so you wanna have that little extra seperation. Vacuum and stuff on a regular. Make people take their shoes off. "Hey, that's my bed. Take em off."

I don't like pillows so it's pretty much laying flat on my back. Every once in awhile I'll get tired of it and sleep on bed or couch to change it up. Still, end up back on the floor after awhile. Nothing quite like it. It'll take some time for your back to adjust. Seems like when I use a pillow, it hurts my neck more than without. I just use a crumbled up sheet. Much more adjustable. Pretty much just lay flat out and sleep. It seems to pull my shoulders back and I don't hunch over much anymore. just do a little light stretching before you lay down. Loosen up the muscles. I really like it after a good workout.

yeah, to be honest, women don't wanna sleep on the floor. You can't cuddle very well and well...you're on the floor. They like to complain about it. I've had some that were down for it though. Go figure. It's also a great excuse to get into her bed. "Can I come over, I'm tired of sleeping on the floor. Just sleep, no sex. Honest." It's confuses the hell outta of 'em when you show up and knock right out.

However, sex on the floor is a lotta fun. There's so much more room and you can do stuff you can't do on a bed cause it's too soft. Try and have a soft layer, as knees are gonna hurt after awhile. That and she might not wanna shove her face into the rug. I enjoy doggy style on the floor, just watch those knees. You can also stand up and move from that position. Bounce around from the back. Her riding you is kinda different too. She can actually kneel and bounce on it, if you like that. No shifting like in a bed. However, a bed is good cause it gets her up in the air where you can stand and do stuff. Hope you dating someone skinny so you can pick her up....shit, I think I'm done talking about this. Just get out there and have a good time. Pics or it didn't happen.

b0bd0d on
  • Options
    KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sleeping on the floor is actually pretty cool. I did it for 2 years with a futon that was kinda thin, like for the kind that fold out into a couch. Since then I have a bed, but the bed had to be pretty hard or I had trouble getting to sleep on it. I never woke up with any back problems or anything, but the BF hated it and seemed to get a sore back alot, so in his case, he did need an actual mattress. It will depend on your body type and you will figure it out after a few days if you can comfortably sleep on the floor or not. Good luck!

Killgrimage on
  • Options
    matisyahumatisyahu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I slept on a deflated air mattress and a pile of blankets for about 4 months, it was fine. Don't go thinking that just because you're a clean individual, you won't be getting bugs. I am a pretty clean person myself, and my place is infested with cockroaches, which is the only reason I broke down and got a bed.

matisyahu on
    i dont even like matisyahu and i dont know why i picked this username