As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

theHunter - "Clever Girl" edition

• Options
    cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    the Hunter Versus: When Velociraptors Attack

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just broke into the top 50 on the Mule Deer leaderboard. Took a potshot at around 300 feet, then the ZzZ popped up in the bottom corner. Just barely managed to track him down and bag him before the game forced me to rest.
    109430153648m.jpg

Aiserou on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Aiserou wrote: »
    Just broke into the top 50 on the Mule Deer leaderboard. Took a potshot at around 300 feet, then the ZzZ popped up in the bottom corner. Just barely managed to track him down and bag him before the game forced me to rest.
    109430153648m.jpg

Did you teabag the Mule Deer?

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    No, but only because I'm afraid of catching my junk on an antler.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How well does this run on computers that don't feature rippling cyber-biceps? I wouldn't imagine this game scales very well.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't have high hopes for this game running well on my PC, but it's a neat enough idea that I think I have to at least try it.

Trevor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I missed an opportunity to get the record range for an Elk, but I didn't realize I was shooting at an elk and used the deer rifle :(

I did wind up placing 3rd in range later that same hunt, so I guess that's cool.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    When do we get the wolverine mod/add on that lets us stalk deer and pet them/stab them in the throat with a javalin?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    When do we get the wolverine mod/add on that lets us stalk deer and pet them/stab them in the throat with a javalin?

I'd much rather play a 4 VS 20 mode where there's four heavily armed player hunters taking on a pack of player controlled wolves.

Sure, it's no hunter VS velociraptor match-up, but it could be awesome with the right mechanics, and it fits the theme of the game pretty well.

Archonex on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Do we need a sick machine to play this? I assume Crysis level graphics means Crysis level machine.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Anyone else still getting the "Server Capacity Full" message when trying to log into the website after the maintenance?

Dourin on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Do we need a sick machine to play this? I assume Crysis level graphics means Crysis level machine.

I tried it and I wouldn't call it Crysis level graphics. Often it simply reminds me of Oblivion. Crysis had a lot more going on too, the plants aren't destructible here.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Patch notes!
    New Functionality

* Boone & Crockett score sheets added for Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer and Elk
    * New Widget: Help widget added to provide players with some useful hints and tips
    * 'Hall of Fame' page added
    * Doc's Outfitters now open with a selection of new weapons and hunting equipment for all levels of membership
    * Introduction of em$'s - purchase your em$'s from the Hunter Store to spend in Doc's Outfitters
    * Whitehart Island Membership now available - please note that the Warden license offer has now ended
    * Individual species licenses available from Doc's Outfitters - enables guests to hunt additional animals on Whitehart Island for a limited period of time

Bug Fixes

Graphical

* Fixed some issues where IE7 would not display the correct Gallery images
    * Inventory items should now all display correctly under IE7
    * When entering Gallery comments under IE7, the avatar icon now no longer covers the first 7 characters

The addition of score sheets is a good thing. Frankly they shouldn't have gone this long without them.
    New rifle added. Word is that it's a touch more powerful than the .243. You either have to be a member or buy it separately using their funny money.
    Bunch of new calls and lures, specifically sprays and elk calls. Looks like they have to be purchased individually.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I bet they make tons of money

Dsmart on
  • Options
    verpakeyesverpakeyes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The way the website looks now it seems that even paying members are gonna have to buy ammo. Am I missing something? cause that seems really lame.

Also is the newest gun considered powerful enough for elk? the .2700 winchester

I assume when the .300 bolt action opens up it will be strong enough.

verpakeyes on
    pajoewangsexcrow.jpgXBOX live: verpa 15
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Memberships get you free ammo, only guest that buy individual guns need to buy ammo. The .234 always gets free ammo.

The winchester is not an ethical weapon for an elk.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Memberships get you free ammo, only guest that buy individual guns need to buy ammo. The .234 always gets free ammo.

The winchester is not an ethical weapon for an elk.

Thanks for all the info. Is the ammo for members infinite then? it just constantly regenerates or what?

I am pretty hopelessly addicted to this game though surprisingly, to me at least, the leader board I was doing best on is the turkey one. It seems they changed it around a bit since yesterday. I have the 18th longest shot ever on a whitetail though, so I consider that a success since i took it with iron sights

verpakeyes on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ammo for members is replenished after you use an entire box, so don't leave boxes of 1 or 2 shells laying around wondering why you aren't getting anymore.

It looks like the leaderboards were reset last night during maintenance/upgrades. I think that's going to be a semi-regular thing so they can hold contests and stuff.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ok, I just went on my first hunt and that was way more fun than I expected. I spotted 4 female and 1 male deer, and killed the male with a lung shot at 249 yards. It was great!

I honestly don't know how I feel about the lack of real ballistics. It would be much more challenging. On the other hand I found it hard enough to actually find a deer, then stalk it. If I then had to account for bullet drop and windage only to miss I think it would just piss me off.

That tracking mechanic is very cool and I find myself wishing there was something like it in other games. Imagine a hunting system like that in an mmo, or a game like oblivion. Only instead of deer you are hunting orcs. Or deathclaws or those scary demon bears in fallout 3.

This is one of the most immersive games I've ever played. I'd love it if they expanded on the concept. I'm imagining a game like this where you play as a mountain man like Jim_Bridger. Build a log cabin and then track a grizzly bear and kill it with your bare hands. Kind of like if this game and Wurm Online had a love child.

bamjo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Im am excited about them expanding the game, mostly with more species, more types of locations, savanah artic, and more guns.

Also I think it would be really cool if different animals had different color "clue" markers. So you could track multiple animals at once.

verpakeyes on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Can someone post a screenshot of what we're supposed to look for? Either I'm just not seeing it or I'm the unluckiest son of a bitch ever. I walked all over the damn place and never came across a track. How vibrantly are they shaded red?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I tried it and I wouldn't call it Crysis level graphics. Often it simply reminds me of Oblivion. Crysis had a lot more going on too, the plants aren't destructible here.

Well, how good/crappy is your machine? I'm running a VAIO laptop here with that accelerator riffraff

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm a huge hunting game fan, but i dont think my pc will run this, so i keep forgetting to finish the download. Gonna give it a shot though. Fuck i need a new pc.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Can someone post a screenshot of what we're supposed to look for? Either I'm just not seeing it or I'm the unluckiest son of a bitch ever. I walked all over the damn place and never came across a track. How vibrantly are they shaded red?

If you look back on the first page a few posts down, I posted some screenshots of my first elk. The first picture has a big red arc that is what most tracks will look like. The second one has a red blob to the left of the rifle sight and is what they look like if its the animal you are currently tracking.

Edit: Occasionally you will hear animals. If you use your huntersmate then, it will mark the location and start tracking that animal. Sometimes the huntersmate will hear an animal even if you don't, so if it flashes red and you aren't standing near a track, go ahead and use it.

Also, if you haven't seen anything, make sure you aren't starting at Southcliff Lodge, there's hardly anything down there.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Occasionally you will hear animals. If you use your huntersmate then, it will mark the location and start tracking that animal. Sometimes the huntersmate will hear an animal even if you don't, so if it flashes red and you aren't standing near a track, go ahead and use it.

This.

I followed many tracks but the only times I actually spotted a deer were when I got an audio contact. Has anyone had success with tracks alone? It seems that the area they give you is pretty large and the deer are zig-zagging all over.

Also what do the blue/green/red bars on your pda mean? I thought it showed how recent the tracks were, but it doesn't seem to be consistent.

bamjo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The blue bars represent the noise level around you. Kind of an indicator of how much racket you can make before getting spotted. During rain and when it's real windy, this lets you know that you can run without everything nearby hearing you. Of course, they can still see you, so don't do anything if they have a sight line to you.

As far as following tracks, that's tricky. Because you're coming up behind the animal you have to be moving fast enough to catch them, without spooking them. Elk are really bad because they tend to walk just a tad faster than you can crouch walk. If you're following tracks you also have to make sure they aren't leading you downwind, as the animal will smell you long before you see it usually.

Once you get a higher level of tracking (i think it kicks in at lvl 3) the tracks will also have a circle around them indicating how fresh they are. A large dotted circle means they are fairly old, while a small solid circle means they are very new. When I hunt elk by tracks, I tend to walk until I get a solid circle, and then crouch walk until I get a visual. Once you get a visual on elk you pretty much have to go prone or they will spot you, so I do that and try to get into a shooting position, or follow them at long range crouching until one presents itself (like they cross a clearing or road or something). I still manage to spook a fair amount of elk like this, but it's the only way I've found to bag them without the elk call.

Every now and again an animal stops to forage and you go from a very old track to them being right in front of you staring at you. Just remember, the circle represents the age of the track, not how far the animal actually is. It still pays to check with your bino's on a regular basis even if following old tracks.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So is it worth it to buy a membership? I am having a lot of fun on a free account right now. I guess I don't really picture hunting elk/turkey to be all that different from a deer.

bamjo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I love hunting elk, just seems more rewarding. Membership doesn't get you an elk call(although I plan on buying one once I scrounge up some extra money), and since the 30.06 doesn't have a scope, it's quite different from hunting deer. Without a call you can't control the elk at all, you have to sneak up on them and get close enough to hit them with the tiny iron sight on the rifle.

Haven't seriously given turkey a try yet, but I haven't managed to call any to me with the box call. I think turkey boils down to being lucky enough to stumble across some and then use the call to get them close enough to hit with the pistol or shotgun.

I think the best thing about having the membership is all the options you get while in the game. Without it you only ever see Mule deer, with it you get a lot more variety and options to choose from because of all the animals in the game. You have to adjust your tactics on the fly to adjust for whatever situation presents itself.

Edit:

Just shot a few turkeys, good way to let off steam if you ask me. They don't run very far when spooked so you can shoot one and then track his buddies down and shoot them. I just bagged 4 in 20 minutes, probably would keep going but I just heard a buck nearby so I'm switching targets.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

If you look back on the first page a few posts down, I posted some screenshots of my first elk. The first picture has a big red arc that is what most tracks will look like. The second one has a red blob to the left of the rifle sight and is what they look like if its the animal you are currently tracking.

Edit: Occasionally you will hear animals. If you use your huntersmate then, it will mark the location and start tracking that animal. Sometimes the huntersmate will hear an animal even if you don't, so if it flashes red and you aren't standing near a track, go ahead and use it.

Also, if you haven't seen anything, make sure you aren't starting at Southcliff Lodge, there's hardly anything down there.

Oh, so they're not actually on the ground? Like in your first picture, I should wander around until I spot that rainbow-like red line?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yea, they hover slightly above the track so you can spot it through grass. The only time its ever really hard to see is in light colored grass in bright sunlight.

In that picture I was looking through binoculars and the track was very close, that's why it looks so big.

I should point out that they are extremely easy to see in shade, if they are there, you will know it. If you're just starting out your tracking level is 1 and you probably won't see many. Try listening for deer as well. Again, the sound is fairly distinct and you won't have any question about what you heard when you do.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I usually don't like hunting games but
    -SPI- wrote: »
    The op made this sound more interesting than a hunting game has any right to be.
    downloading now.

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Good to see people who wouldn't normally care are giving it a chance. I'm not saying it's everyone's cup o' tea, but it certainly has enough redeeming qualities that it warrants a fair shake.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    blikbokblikbok Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Arise, thread, arise!

Anyone still playing this? I can finally run it, and it's mindblowing to see how good a forest can look in a game.

On the lack of a ballistic model, the game has a rather detailed terminal ballistics model. The various guns and especially arrows and shotguns, loose power over distance, and the animal has to be struck in a vital zone:
    http://www.thehunter.com/static/img/statistics/organ_diagrams/muledeer/base_f.jpg

I hope they implement a full ballistics model; it would make the game even more challenging: range, drop, wind, moving animal and vital zones.

blikbok on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It still eats an occasional free weekend here and there. As a matter of fact I was thinking of downloading it tonight and spending some time with it soon.

I bought a years worth of membership a while back, and finally got an elk call. I then went on a rampage and killed every elk I could find. Those guys are hard to bring down with the bow.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Have only seen two elk so far. One whitetail doe got too close while I was trying to call in a buck up the hill behind her, so she was my first sucess with the bow.

I grabbed the 12month membership also. This game would rock so much with true 1-4 person co-op.

blikbok on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I've been working this hard, usually getting in 5+ hunts a week, for the full 2 hours the game will allow on one hunt. I've even run out of ammo during a hunt and had to return to the lodge for more.
    Seems the animals spawn differently in response to mission objectives: when I have a mission to hunt a turkey, I see lots of turkey.
    Of all the items I've bought I have to recommend the 300 Magnum rifle (with 3-9x scope). Dead right there. The Bow is also great because it's ethical for everything and an entirely different challenge. I've played with the 44, the shotgun, and the 30-06. If you get the bow, look into the backpack because the bow takes up twice the inventory space of a rifle.
    I almost forgot about the "fair chase" clothing. It makes a big difference in your sneaking ability. I haven't tried the scents or wind indicator. I can usually tell wind direction watching leaves fall. The camping supplies are great to extend a hunt while tracking a wounded animal.

If you are just trying the free game, I recommend following the missions. When you just want to find deer, start at the north cabin and walk slowly towards the lake south of it. That lake is a magnet for everything, but don't shoot animals in or almost in the water, they can become impossible to collect.

blikbok on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So have they added in dangerous creatures yet?

It seems kind of boring to hunt something that won't even fight back.

At least tell me they've taken the wonderful opportunity they have here to add in a dinosaur mode, or something similar, complete with velociraptors and T-Rex's.

Or maybe just a mode where you hunt the most dangerous game of them all, another player.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This isn't that sort of game, but with a mod, who knows?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This thread makes me realize I never played Sega Marine Fishing.

I played the fuck out of Bass for Dreamcast, then I got it for Wii so I could play the fuck out of it again.

I wanna catch some Marlins :x

And possibly Mythical White Whales.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This thread makes me want to play Afrika.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png