As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm praying for fucking tidal waves.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Isn't it every man's dream to die whilst being pleasured by some Amazonian goddess?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't quite know how to respond to that.

B.C. on
    Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Isn't it every man's dream to die whilst being pleasured by some Amazonian goddess?

Nope.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I never thought it'd end this way. But I'd always hoped

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »

Nope.

What are you, gay?

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    bent wrote: »

Nope.

What are you, gay?

nph.jpg

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Another depressing story to add to the already large pile: Homeopathy not curing what ails ya? How about some Jesus?!
    Death by religious ignorance

Hodgkin lymphoma is one of the more curable forms of cancer — the 5 year survival rates for patients who are middle-aged or younger is over 90%, and for kids, it is over 95%. These results assume, of course, that the cancer patient is actually treated with modern medicine — neglect that, and all bets are off. You're almost certainly going to die of it.

Daniel Hauser is a 13 year old victim of Hodgkin lymphoma here in Minnesota. Doctors give him a 5% chance of surviving the disease, not because he has some particularly lethal form of the cancer, but because his mother is a religious fruitcake who who wants to deny her child treatment. Her reasoning is insane.

Hauser, whose son was diagnosed in January with Hodgkin's lymphoma, said conventional treatments such as chemotherapy conflict with the family's religious beliefs. She said they prefer natural remedies such as herbs and vitamins.

"Asked where she learned about the alternative healing techniques, Hauser said, "on the Internet.''"

If one of my kids was deadly ill, and I had a doctor who was telling me that she has a very good treatment, and she can tell me how it works, and she could show my statistics and clinical trials that backed up her claims, and on the other side I had priest waving his bible and telling me that it was a sin to treat the disease with secular medicine, but had no track record of success, and no solution other than vague claims of herbs from the internet, I would not be facing a difficult choice. I would commend my child into the hands of the person who had evidence of a 95% cure rate, without hesitation. There is simply something wrong with a parent who selects the 5% success rate over the 95% success rate, no matter what their motivation.

It would be easy to write them off as taking the Darwinian cure — that harsh statistical view that they'll simply be extinguishing their contribution to the gene pool — especially since Daniel Hauser is agreeing with his parents. But he's a 13 year old boy — no 13 year old is informed enough about medicine to make a good decision, and no 13 year old deserves to die of cancer because all he is given for treatment is "herbs".

And this is all about religion. What a sick, stupid, wasteful thing to die for.

"The Hausers declined to speak to reporters after Friday's court session. But Dan Zwakman, a member of the Nemenhah religious group to which they belong, acted as the family spokesman. He argued that this is a case about religious freedom, noting that the group's motto is "our religion is our medicine.""

Your medicine doesn't work, and it's going to kill a child. If you're going to equate the two, the reply is obvious: your religion is wrong and lethal.

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/44594367.html?elr=KArksUUUycaEacyU
    http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/index.php?page=2

Duhhh, there's nothing wrong with religion!

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Ness445Ness445 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Nope.

What are you, gay?

<DOOGIE>

Your dream is to die while being pleasured by Neil Patrick Harris?

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ness445 wrote: »

Nope.

What are you, gay?

<DOOGIE>

Your dream is to die while being pleasured by Neil Patrick Harris?
    That would probably be on par with 'dying in my sleep' as the best way to go.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Ness445Ness445 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    his diagnosis?

DEATH

star-trek-mccoy.jpg

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Another depressing story to add to the already large pile: Homeopathy not curing what ails ya? How about some Jesus?!

Hodgkin lymphoma is one of the more curable forms of cancer — the 5 year survival rates for patients who are middle-aged or younger is over 90%, and for kids, it is over 95%. These results assume, of course, that the cancer patient is actually treated with modern medicine — neglect that, and all bets are off. You're almost certainly going to die of it.

Daniel Hauser is a 13 year old victim of Hodgkin lymphoma here in Minnesota. Doctors give him a 5% chance of surviving the disease, not because he has some particularly lethal form of the cancer, but because his mother is a religious fruitcake who who wants to deny her child treatment. Her reasoning is insane.

Hauser, whose son was diagnosed in January with Hodgkin's lymphoma, said conventional treatments such as chemotherapy conflict with the family's religious beliefs. She said they prefer natural remedies such as herbs and vitamins.

"Asked where she learned about the alternative healing techniques, Hauser said, "on the Internet.''"

If one of my kids was deadly ill, and I had a doctor who was telling me that she has a very good treatment, and she can tell me how it works, and she could show my statistics and clinical trials that backed up her claims, and on the other side I had priest waving his bible and telling me that it was a sin to treat the disease with secular medicine, but had no track record of success, and no solution other than vague claims of herbs from the internet, I would not be facing a difficult choice. I would commend my child into the hands of the person who had evidence of a 95% cure rate, without hesitation. There is simply something wrong with a parent who selects the 5% success rate over the 95% success rate, no matter what their motivation.

It would be easy to write them off as taking the Darwinian cure — that harsh statistical view that they'll simply be extinguishing their contribution to the gene pool — especially since Daniel Hauser is agreeing with his parents. But he's a 13 year old boy — no 13 year old is informed enough about medicine to make a good decision, and no 13 year old deserves to die of cancer because all he is given for treatment is "herbs".

"The Hausers declined to speak to reporters after Friday's court session. But Dan Zwakman, a member of the Nemenhah religious group to which they belong, acted as the family spokesman. He argued that this is a case about religious freedom, noting that the group's motto is "our religion is our medicine.""

Your medicine doesn't work, and it's going to kill a child. If you're going to equate the two, the reply is obvious: your religion is wrong and lethal.

saying that's why religion is bad is as stupid and ignorant as saying Mengele's experiments are why science is bad
    this story isn't about religion, it's just about stupidity

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    don't lecture dublot on stupidity

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    But science is bad.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    dublo's not generally stupid, just in this case

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It's a shame the doctors can't really do anything about it.
    But it'd be awesome if the kid just said "Fuck you mom, I have cancer and I'm going to die."

Then went and got treatment.

B.C. on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm not sure even that would work, unless the kid went to a judge and got emancipated. If you're under 18, you don't have a great deal to say about your medical treatment.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's the kid's choice too, but it's weird all around

Sleepy Eye parents, teen fight to refuse chemo

Daniel, one of eight children, has asserted that treatment would violate his religious beliefs. The teenager filed an affidavit saying that he is a medicine man and church elder in the Nemenhah, an American Indian religious organization that his parents joined 18 years ago (though they don't claim to be Indians).

JoeUser on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    dublo's not generally stupid, just in this case

no dublo is fairly fucking retarded when it comes to religion.

but he's an alright guy otherwise.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh man, bitches be crazy in my general area right now.

B.C. on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    wow this sit down shut up show is terrible
    The school they use as a backdrop is my school!

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Dublo7 wrote: »

saying that's why religion is bad is as stupid and ignorant as saying Mengele's experiments are why science is bad
    this story isn't about religion, it's just about stupidity
    Hang on a sec, Dru. How is this families religious beliefs (relating to health remedies) any different than that previous instance of homeopathy death I mentioned earlier?
    This particular family denied their child treatment by conventional medicine because their religion says that the same result can be obtained by natural remedies. That other family denied their child treatment because they thought that homeopathy would do the job.
    If these peoples' religion has put them in this particular mindset, how is that not something to be angry at?
    Why would you blame homeopathy for that previous death, but not religious beliefs for this particular instance? Anything that forces people in a mindset of abandoning conventional medicine is a serious detriment to society.
    I can't help but be angry at that.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    god you're dense

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Because it isn't some nebulous concept of religion, or even most religions that is causing that bullshit. That is people being willfully ignorant and terrible. You can be religious without being those things.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This place is so fucking whacky.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    When I first started posting here there was a 200 page argument on the existence of God hotter than a newborn star.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    When I first started posting here there was a 200 page argument on the existence of God hotter than a newborn star.
    hey, you are going to be at neville's tomorrow right?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Unfortunately I have to work. With the trip to south america and going to vegas last weekend I was pretty much guaranteed to have to work this weekend.

Pour a little liquor on the curb for me.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Artreus wrote: »
    Because it isn't some nebulous concept of religion, or even most religions that is causing that bullshit. That is people being willfully ignorant and terrible. You can be religious without being those things.
    OK, I think that's a fair point. Thanks for the proper answer and for not just being a grumpy twat like Dru.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    JoeUser wrote: »
    It's the kid's choice too, but it's weird all around

Sleepy Eye parents, teen fight to refuse chemo

Daniel, one of eight children, has asserted that treatment would violate his religious beliefs. The teenager filed an affidavit saying that he is a medicine man and church elder in the Nemenhah, an American Indian religious organization that his parents joined 18 years ago (though they don't claim to be Indians).

I hate that mother so much. Of course a 13 year old is going to do what he was indoctrinated with his whole life. What a fucking cunt, and cult

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    destroy religion everyday all day every time 24/7

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Unfortunately I have to work. With the trip to south america and going to vegas last weekend I was pretty much guaranteed to have to work this weekend.

Can I shoot an AK into the air, instead?

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Zephyr wrote: »
    destroy religion everyday all day every time 24/7

This kind of religion? Yes.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Can I shoot an AK into the air, instead?

Sure.

I mean, uh, Allah hu ackbar.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I should draw a jesus in anime form, then convert this jesus into hentai

edit: The hentai would involve god and jesus

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Loomdun wrote: »
    I should draw a jesus in anime form, then convert this jesus into hentai
    manga-messiah.jpg

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    that's... that's not how beards work

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Tossrock wrote: »
    that's... that's not how beards work

uh he's jesus christ

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    otherwise known as god

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    How am I to late for this, how has something done this already.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    HAS HE COME TO SAVE THE WORLD... OR DESTROY IT?

The_Scarab on