As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How is that even food?

• Options
    PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It depends, if the skin is nice and crispy then I can stomach it. However here in China they sometimes boil the chicken with the skin on and it's this disgusting gelatinous texture. Kind of like Hainenese chicken:

http://d0.biggestmenu.com/00/00/4b/e9f0d2d8e665c614_m.jpg

When you combine that with the seriously sharp bones and their marrow, chicken here sometimes makes me feel ill.

Ponge on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh god, I've had something similar for lunch at the campus cafeteria.
    I share your pain.

Turkey on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I eat kosher hotdogs. Because why would a rabbi lie to me.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Turkey wrote: »
    Oh god, I've had something similar for lunch at the campus cafeteria.
    I share your pain.

Finally, someone mentions school cafeteria food/prison food/airline food. I was getting worried.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Guys, you have to realize. This is about what you eat, but how.

Funnel cake? Delicious

3 times a year, tops.

After that, you die.

At age 14.

No exceptions

CangoFett on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Funnel cake is delicious with just powdered sugar. The crazy ass super funnel cakes they sell nowadays, with syrupy fruit topping, whipped cream, and ice cream, that shit is fucking ridiculous.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If I'm ever on death row, or if I'm bedridden, I want my last meal to be a bowl full of doubly fried chicken skins.

Turkey on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Turkey wrote: »
    If I'm ever on death row, or if I'm bedridden, I want my last meal to be a bowl full of doubly fried chicken skins.
    I think that's what a lot of the food posted here is (like the pizza burger); stuff you'd want to eat on death row, since it's likely to kill you anyway... :P

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Guys, you have to realize. This is about what you eat, but how.

Pretty much. It's like once every few years I'll go to KFC and get a Popcorn Chicken meal, but instead of Fries get Poutine as a side. The wait time between this indulgence is perfect, as it takes that long to digest.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My friends have limited my eating of funnel cake to a maximum of twice a year. Because, when I eat it, I go into a hyper sugar rush and decide it's an awesome idea to bear hug the fuck out of anyone in my vicinity. Granted, this was much more intimidating when I was 100 pounds heavier, but they still fear cracked ribs.

Lynx on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I can't believe I lived in the South for nearly all my life and never had beef brisket until I came to California.

It's pretty much just pulled pork/beef and ribs in Alabama.
    You have to go west of the Mississippi to start seeing it. Once you hit St. Louis, you start seeing it more. Once you hit Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, it really jumps in, and you stop seeing much pork once you're past San Antonio or Denver. Brisket is usually rubbed with a lot more southwestern flavorings than you'd find in pork ribs.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Damn this thread. I am SO stopping by KFC on the way home today.

Edit: It was a bad choice on my part.

Turkey on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lynx wrote: »
    My friends have limited my eating of funnel cake to a maximum of twice a year. Because, when I eat it, I go into a hyper sugar rush and decide it's an awesome idea to bear hug the fuck out of anyone in my vicinity. Granted, this was much more intimidating when I was 100 pounds heavier, but they still fear cracked ribs.

I would kill you and several other innocent people for a funnel cake right now.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Alecthar wrote: »

not enough fucking lime in the world.

I would honestly kill somebody right now for one of those grilled stuffed steak burritos from taco hell right now.

I would also kill somebody for a good old eastern shore crab feast. with blue crabs, corn on the cob, oysters rockafeller, and TONS of melted clarified butter.

god I wanna go home now....

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    One thing that has generally shocked me is that food out of the taco trucks out here seems to be of decent quality in general.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dude, we have meat trucks

I dont mean like, freezer trucks, that sell meat.

I mean

A guy in a pickup truck parked on the corner
    Selling meat out of the back of it
    In 99 degree south virginia weather

10 STEAKS 10 DOLLARS CMON BRO

CangoFett on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Alecthar wrote: »

not enough fucking lime in the world.

I would honestly kill somebody right now for one of those grilled stuffed steak burritos from taco hell right now.

I would also kill somebody for a good old eastern shore crab feast. with blue crabs, corn on the cob, oysters rockafeller, and TONS of melted clarified butter.

god I wanna go home now....

I'd sacrifice a hobo to any satanic/demonic/pagan power from beyond you'd care to name for some good hush puppies.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh god hush puppies... there was this fish place around here, had the best damn hush puppies. Soft as all hell, not dry as a sponge like the ones from LJS's. Best of all? Nearly as big as a god damn baseball.

Edit: Wait that's kind of off topic... uh. I guess they may have been soaked in butter?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Arthil wrote: »
    Oh god hush puppies... there was this fish place around here, had the best damn hush puppies. Soft as all hell, not dry as a sponge like the ones from LJS's. Best of all? Nearly as big as a god damn baseball.

Edit: Wait that's kind of off topic... uh. I guess they may have been soaked in butter?

Are Olive Garden breadsticks soaked in butter? Because I ate at least five last time I was there...

emnmnme on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ah, the southern fried breading delicacy known as Hush Puppies. They got the name from down home fish fries always being crowded with the party attendees dogs. The dogs would whine, bark and beg for the fried fishy goodness. People started to take the batter for the fish, add a little extra cornmeal to make a drier mixture, and then fry it up with the fish to feed to the dogs. "Hush, puppy."

Drake on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    GungHo wrote: »
    I can't believe I lived in the South for nearly all my life and never had beef brisket until I came to California.

You have to go west of the Mississippi to start seeing it. Once you hit St. Louis, you start seeing it more. Once you hit Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, it really jumps in, and you stop seeing much pork once you're past San Antonio or Denver. Brisket is usually rubbed with a lot more southwestern flavorings than you'd find in pork ribs.

There's also New York or any Jewish household besides my own on Passover (my mom doesn't eat meat, so we have turkey).

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Drake wrote: »
    Ah, the southern fried breading delicacy known as Hush Puppies. They got the name from down home fish fries always being crowded with the party attendees dogs. The dogs would whine, bark and beg for the fried fishy goodness. People started to take the batter for the fish, add a little extra cornmeal to make a drier mixture, and then fry it up with the fish to feed to the dogs. "Hush, puppy."

Wikipedia says the most likely story is that hunters would use them to hush the puppies. This makes sense because hunters don't have to maintain sanitary standards.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Drake wrote: »

Wikipedia says the most likely story is that hunters would use them to hush the puppies. This makes sense because hunters don't have to maintain sanitary standards.

Hunters... fishermen... down here it's all the same.

Drake on
  • Options
    Bottled WaterBottled Water Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    I always felt like McDonald's weird McGriddles were totally fucking disgusting.

I can get behind the occasional sausage biscuit...but soaking the biscuit in syrup first? Ugh.

I always presumed it was injected into the biscuit/pancake... thing. Maybe soaked too, who knows.

Also, hello everyone in Penny Arcade-land.

Bottled Water on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »

Are Olive Garden breadsticks soaked in butter? Because I ate at least five last time I was there...

Either than or olive oil. Normally, bread doesn't turn your napkin transparent.

Rust on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Rust wrote: »

Isn't that acid?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I can get behind the occasional sausage biscuit...but soaking the biscuit in syrup first? Ugh.

I always presumed it was injected into the biscuit/pancake... thing. Maybe soaked too, who knows.

The ads say "Real maple syrup flavor" so I presume there's no actual liquid syrup in them, just some chemicals that taste like it.
    Rust wrote: »

Isn't that acid?

I know for a fact that crisco will turn a paper napkin transparent.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Have you not seen that episode of the Simpsons where Homer needs to gain weight? The big joke is, 'only eat things that make other things transparent'. Cue Krusty burger that can turn a wall transparent.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

The McGriddle sandwich "buns" are not biscuit-like in any way, shape or form. They're sort of slightly firmer, thicker pancakes with syrup sort of injected during the original cooking process - there are little pockets of syrup flavor interspersed throughout the "bun", with no texture differences to the rest of the pancake.

I've had one once or twice, and... they're OK. A little too out there for me, so if I'm doing a McD's breakfast I'll usually get an Egg or Sausage McMuffin.

rufo on
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Related to the current topic: Fake maple syrup. I can't believe people eat it. It's disgustingly sweet, and doesn't actually taste like maple syrup at all. It's the reason Cracker Barrel is the only restaurant I ever order pancakes at.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    JHunz wrote: »
    Related to the current topic: Fake maple syrup. I can't believe people eat it. It's disgustingly sweet, and doesn't actually taste like maple syrup at all. It's the reason Cracker Barrel is the only restaurant I ever order pancakes at.

The texture is all wrong, too. Real maple syrup is sort of thin and runny. "Pancake syrup"? Not so much.

rufo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    rufo wrote: »

The texture is all wrong, too. Real maple syrup is sort of thin and runny. "Pancake syrup"? Not so much.

You mean ... you mean Aunt Jemima is lying to us?!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

There's also New York or any Jewish household besides my own on Passover (my mom doesn't eat meat, so we have turkey).
    Ok, I'll bite. Explain "my mom doesn't eat meat, so we have turkey"
    I will only eat real maple if I have it at all. However, usually I have ribbon cane syrup, because that's what I grew up with. I'll be damned if I have HFCS syrup. I'd rather eat the pancakes/french toast plain or with preserves if the fake stuff is all that's available.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Well, wouldn't you be upset if you asked for meat and were given chicken? In essence, my mom's a piscetarian+poultry.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    One thing that has generally shocked me is that food out of the taco trucks out here seems to be of decent quality in general.

Wait until the Kogi truck gets there. Korean BBQ + taco truck = 600-person flash mobs waiting 2 hours for kalbi and bulgogi tacos, and cultish hordes in the thousands following the 2 trucks' every stop via Twitter. The top food critic in LA compares its meteoric rise to Pinkberry, and their next target markets are San Diego and San Francisco.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Well, wouldn't you be upset if you asked for meat and were given chicken? In essence, my mom's a piscetarian+poultry.
    No. Chicken's meat. Turkey's meat. In fact, poultry's called white meat, though some of it's considered dark meat. As opposed to the other white meat, pork. Fish also has meat. You're eating an animal's musculature. That's meat. So, no, I'd not be disappointed. If there were chicken and beef available, I'd say "could I have beef?" If you asked me, "hey, GungHo, pass me the meat", I'd say, "get it your own damn self, you lazy bastard, do I look like a servant to you?"

GungHo on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, wouldn't you be upset if you asked for meat and were given chicken?

N...no?

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tripe.

tripe.jpg

Actually quite tasty when not cooked to rubber band consistancy.

Also, any of the Hostess gas station specials. Twinkies, Cup Cakes, Cherry Pies. I love them all. Hopefully their over abundance of presevative will preserve me as well.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've actually eaten a lot a tripe, being a frequenter of various pho shops. You often pay extra for it, but my desire to try everything on the menu has forced me to order the all-in special beef phos more than once.

It's a little off-putting to look at, but doesn't taste at all bad. Still, I think I'd rather just load the bowl with raw beef strips.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Huh, looking up tripe I've apparently had it before when I ate Andouille sausage. I loved it, too.

Cervetus on