As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How is that even food?

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    hahaha

We have Sonic, Whataburger, Hardee's, fucking... everything here.

There's a place here called Hurricane's that sells a "Disaster" burrito. It's the size of my forearm and they sell it as whole, half, quarter, or eighth. It's a burrito with a a meat, beans, cheese, covered in curly-Q fries and garnish (lettuce, tomato, etc.), covered in cheese and smothered in red or green (or both) chile. Smothered's actually so common here it's not even worth thinking about most of the time. It literally fills a takeout box to bursting and if you ask for the chile on the side they give it to you in a 20oz. cup. My brother once drank a whole cup of green chile sauce on a bet. It was glorious and disgusting.

I mention all this because I cannot even count how many times I have devoured the whole thing in one sitting, which is scary because for at least ten years before I could do that I usually only finished... half. Maybe.

Speaking of which, there's a pretty upscale (for the price/location) barbeque place here that does an All You Can Eat option of beef ribs, brisket, sausage, a bunch of sides, chicken, etc. My mother's boss and a co-worker have their picture up because they are banned from the restaurant after the last time they went in for several hours.

OT: Hey, logic. Have you ever been to a matanza?

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Was everyone else able to eat truck loads of food when they were really young? I could polish off a box of 50 McNuggets in middle school on field trips.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, due to a heart condition, I ended up with the metabolism of a dozen four year olds. I was eating a whole large pizza by myself when I was 8. By the time I was 12 I was 6' tall and only weighed 120 pounds. It finally slowed down around the time I turned 18.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yes.

But I've also been a fat bastard since middle school.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There's a place here called Hurricane's that sells a "Disaster" burrito. It's the size of my forearm and they sell it as whole, half, quarter, or eighth. It's a burrito with a a meat, beans, cheese, covered in curly-Q fries and garnish (lettuce, tomato, etc.), covered in cheese and smothered in red or green (or both) chile. Smothered's actually so common here it's not even worth thinking about most of the time. It literally fills a takeout box to bursting and if you ask for the chile on the side they give it to you in a 20oz. cup. My brother once drank a whole cup of green chile sauce on a bet. It was glorious and disgusting.

I mention all this because I cannot even count how many times I have devoured the whole thing in one sitting, which is scary because for at least ten years before I could do that I usually only finished... half. Maybe.

Speaking of which, there's a pretty upscale (for the price/location) barbeque place here that does an All You Can Eat option of beef ribs, brisket, sausage, a bunch of sides, chicken, etc. My mother's boss and a co-worker have their picture up because they are banned from the restaurant after the last time they went in for several hours.

El Tepeyac's Manuel Special, as previously seen on Man vs Food - Los Angeles

l

BubbaT on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Was everyone else able to eat truck loads of food when they were really young? I could polish off a box of 50 McNuggets in middle school on field trips.

Yeah, I could pummel down the calories until I was about twenty five or so. Then I started slowing down a bit. Now I tend to eat French style portions, except the occasional feasting.

Drake on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »

[IMGhttp://static.px.yelp.com/bphoto/vNlydqSYWvuDyJNxZ-ewog//IMG]

That's an assassination attempt.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

[IMGhttp://static.px.yelp.com/bphoto/vNlydqSYWvuDyJNxZ-ewog//IMG]

That's an assassination attempt.
    A burrito so big it turns you retarded, judging from the picture.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    l

Yeah. That's it. Same thing, different name. But with fries.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    A burrito so big it turns you retarded, judging from the picture.

It's like there's no room for anything else, even in your brain.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Pretty much.

You feel like a retard once you're done. Probably because all the blood has pooled in your stomach.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pretty much.

You feel like a retard once you're done. Probably because all the blood has coagulated in your stomach.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pretty much.

You feel like a retard once you're done. Probably because all the blood has pooled in your stomach.

I thought it looked awesome. I also thought that there was no way I could even eat half of what was on the plate.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The first time I finished a whole disaster I was like, "what have I done?"

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

No seriously, where the fuck did it physically reside inside your body? Have you been distending your intestines over the course of decades like those women with neck rings?

Edit: And I just looked those up and apparently they don't actually lengthen the neck, just shove the collarbone down. Huh.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

nah.

on topic: My metabolism was so freakishly high when I was younger and living in Detroit, a typical dinner before binge drinking would have been something like this:

@Arby's - Roast Beef Sub (RIP, the greatest!), Giant Roast Beef, 2xBeef and Cheddars, large curly fries, tankard of Coke.

two hours and a pint of Old Granddad 100 later we would have probably rode by a Rally's and I would get two Big Buford's and a large fries.

another hour and probably some sort of cheap liquor later (Night Train, T-Bird, Ten High, etc), we would likely have passed a Coney Island and I'd have to have two coney dogs.

By about 2am... thoroughly trashed, it's time to either go back to the coney joint OR hit up a Denny's/Big Boys/Silvermans.

logic7 on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Isn't it though? I just picture myself drinking a meatshake.
    If a cheesesteak shake is possible, you know some fatass in PA has given it a shot.

I still remember the horror I felt the first time I saw the Bass-O-Matic SNL skit.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »

No seriously, where the fuck did it physically reside inside your body? Have you been distending your intestines over the course of decades like those women with neck rings?

Looking at my midsection, I can fathom a guess.
    logic7 wrote: »

nah.

You should try to go to one. There's nothing like eating super-fresh pork while the pig's head stares back at you.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

kill me softly with a burrito

Thanks, bubbaT! Now I gotta try to kill myself with this monstrosity this weekend since it's about a 30-45 minute drive from where I'm at.

If I'm not replying back by Monday it means my artery clogged corpse is coming to haunt you.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Arde wrote: »

kill me softly with a burrito

Thanks, bubbaT! Now I gotta try to kill myself with this monstrosity this weekend since it's about a 30-45 minute drive from where I'm at.

If I'm not replying back by Monday it means my artery clogged corpse is coming to haunt you.

We'll avenge your death.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That thing looks like the Taco Town taco.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There's a really small Mexican food joint near my house that serves up chimichangas bigger than a Chipotle burrito with pretty much everything in it. It's delicious.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I was watching a Bizarre Foods re-run the other day, and Andrew Zimmern was in Hawaii and one of the "bizarre" foods he was eating was Spam. And he was freaked out by it.

Really? Spam?

I'm not even sure how Spam got on the show. It's pork shoulder and ham. Not only is that not a bizarre animal, that's not even a bizarre cut of the non-bizarre animal - sort of the antithesis of some of the quasi-foods mentioned in this thread. You'd think a guy who spends all day eating testicles and challenging the palette of Bear Grylls could stomach a piece of salted ham. Heck, in the same episode he raved about a stew of boar organs that he described as "bile-flavored."

This stuff is great

2+best+spam.jpg

and I have no idea how anyone could prefer a mouthful of semi-vomit over it.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think your first problem was watching Andrew Zimmern.

Although, I must say, spam sushi makes me facepalm so hard.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I think your first problem was watching Andrew Zimmern.

Although, I must say, spam sushi makes me facepalm so hard.

Musubi isn't sushi, it's closer to onigiri - salted rice with seaweed and something salty in the middle.

This guy knows what's up.
    6716l.jpg

Broke da mout, cuz.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    You're saying that an entire food-subculture revolving around Spam isn't bizarre? It's called bizarre foods, not omg gross.
    Hell, in California he ate with raw foodies.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Listening to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me this morning, I got to hear a brief interview with Paula Dean. Noteworthy snippits:
    She describes her life style as comfort.
    They asked her what she had in her fridge, when she went into the kitchen to see, her husband was eating Nutisystem. His plan is to loose 90lbs and then to write a book called, "How I lost weight and stayed married to Paula Dean"
    Her weird as doughnut burger came about by wondering "why am I using buns when I have these luscious doughnuts right here". She also says the serving size is one per lifetime.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    ILVTOFU, ftw.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What the hell is a Twizzler anyways?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What the hell is a Twizzler anyways?

Fruit flavored licorice. They're not great, but at least they're better than licorice.

Personally, my candy of choice is Sour Patch Kids.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fruit flavored licorice. They're not great, but at least they're better than licorice.

"Better than licorice" is akin to saying "better than someone putting your balls in a vice".

Yeah, it may be true, but...

Duffel on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Duffel wrote: »

"Better than licorice" is akin to saying "better than someone putting your balls in a vice".

I always see Twizzlers at the concession stand at movie theaters and I wonder who actually buys them.

"Sir, I would like to buy some overpriced candies ... hmmm ... give me the strawberry flavored wax straws. I oh so hate Nestle Crunch, Sour Patch Kids, Raisinets, and Sweet Tarts and would prefer a $4 bag of horrible Twizzlers."

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Her weird as doughnut burger came about by wondering "why am I using buns when I have these luscious doughnuts right here". She also says the serving size is one per lifetime.

That's . . . not what a serving size is.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Besides, Red Vines are better.

:whistle:

Gim on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Duffel wrote: »

I always see Twizzlers at the concession stand at movie theaters and I wonder who actually buys them.

"Sir, I would like to buy some overpriced candies ... hmmm ... give me the strawberry flavored wax straws. I oh so hate Nestle Crunch, Sour Patch Kids, Raisinets, and Sweet Tarts and would prefer a $4 bag of horrible Twizzlers."

It's hard for me to imagine anyone buying anything from a concession stand. Theaters are rarely all that far from a mall or supermarket where you can get a whole bag of candy for the price of a theater's box.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    mmm twizzlers.. nom nom nom.

also, the best movie theatre treat is gummi bears.

that I bring in after buying them at the dollar store and then smuggling them in tucked into my bra.

along with the pack of twizzlers, the payday bar, and the bag of honey roasted cashews.

what!? Hey, I got the extra room, i'm gonna use it.

besides, it gives a great lift to the girls.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, but when you walk out "WHAT HAPPENED!?!"

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Sneaking never seemed necessary to me. It's not like they have the right to inspect your bag or pockets.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Damn

Why don't you just cram a picnic basket in there while you're at it

Also, the best candy is those little cinnamon-encrusted gummi bears you can get at cracker barrel, along with hershey's kisses and andes mints.

Duffel on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's hard for me to imagine anyone buying anything from a concession stand. Theaters are rarely all that far from a mall or supermarket where you can get a whole bag of candy for the price of a theater's box.

Literally just a few yards from the entrance to the theater near where I used to live there is a Candy Shop.

They even have a few theater seats in the store in front of a screen constantly playing Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory.

Incenjucar on