Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

How is that even food?

13234363738

Posts

  • RustRust __BANNED USERS
    edited June 2009
    I honestly wonder if most of these "foods" were just accidentally eaten at first, then as to not look like an idiot the person pretended they'd done it on purpose.

    "Dude, that egg has half a bird in it!"

    "It...uh...yeah, I know it does, it's the newest thing..." *throws up*

    "Did you just puke?"

    "No, I...uh... I said "BALUT"... that's what they're called!"

    Some other guy before was probably right when he said a lot of this weirder food was made up in lieu of anything else to eat. Paraphrasing from a book I don't remember, no one would eat a shark's fin unless someone was pinching the rest of the shark.

    Rust on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lots of animals live off eggs. I'd say egg-eating predates most other forms of human food sources - much, much older than agriculture and (probably) even forms of game hunting. As in, australopithecine sees a bird nest, chows down.

    Of course, they were foraging those eggs instead of raising them, but it doesn't take a huge logical leap from "Bird lays these things we can eat" to "let's capture a bird, keep it in one place and eat everything it lays".

    Duffel on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    Lots of animals live off eggs. I'd say egg-eating predates most other forms of human food sources - much, much older than agriculture and (probably) even forms of game hunting. As in, australopithecine sees a bird nest, chows down.

    Of course, they were foraging those eggs instead of raising them, but it doesn't take a huge logical leap from "Bird lays these things we can eat" to "let's capture a bird, keep it in one place and eat everything it lays".

    My mom grew up on a chicken farm. One of the things she told me about her childhood was the snakes in the henhouse. See, different snakes would get into the henhouse, poisonous and non poisonous varieties, and they wouldn't eat the chickens. They would get nice and comfy, coiled up under the nests and wait for the hens to lay eggs. Then the snakes would feast on the eggs. I always thought it was interesting that even though a chicken would offer a larger, more immediate meal, that the snakes knew to wait. That as long as they left the hens alone they would be able to eat the eggs at their leisure. Well, until my mom would discover them, and chop them up with a shovel. Something tells me that a lot of snakes got away with it, and my Mom believed this was the case too.

    Don't know what that really has to do with anything. I guess I think snakes are neat? I like eggs too? Hmmm...

    Drake on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    I honestly wonder if most of these "foods" were just accidentally eaten at first, then as to not look like an idiot the person pretended they'd done it on purpose.

    "Dude, that egg has half a bird in it!"

    "It...uh...yeah, I know it does, it's the newest thing..." *throws up*

    "Did you just puke?"

    "No, I...uh... I said "BALUT"... that's what they're called!"

    Some other guy before was probably right when he said a lot of this weirder food was made up in lieu of anything else to eat. Paraphrasing from a book I don't remember, no one would eat a shark's fin unless someone was pinching the rest of the shark.

    But these days they just cut the fins off and dump the rest of the shark into the ocean.
    It seems like just about all chinese dishes are the "someone already took the good stuff" variety. They're eating duck tongues and chicken feet, don't they ever think about what happened to the rest of the bird?

    TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStigCFN: Stiggles
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I can't tell which one looks worse, the balut or the dominoes pasta bowl.
    The balut comes with bones. Soft bones, but they do have a little crunch to them. You never forget what you're eating. The feathers have their own texture, too. It's really quite primal.
    Arde wrote: »
    For Balut though, I probably will have to eat it with my eyes closed.
    My girlfriend did this her entire life. So nothing to be ashamed of. Then again, she's a girl.
    I've always wanted to try balut. That and durian fruit.
    Durian's ok. My only real objection to it is that you never know when it's gone bad.
    Andrew Zimmern refuses to eat durian for what its worth.
    Unless, of course, you've dipped testicles in it.
    Underdog wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    I only discovered relatively recently that the particular smell I associate with Chinese supermarkets is actually durian. I always though it was the dried fish or something.
    Really? Typically durian (in toronto at least) comes in its spiky, frozen, unpeeled form so the smell is really not there. I hate durian, my mom loves it and occasionally peels one and freezes the chunks for later consumption. Smell and taste is yucky.
    It's basically a big ball of practical joke. Kinda like people who put shrimp in the curtain rods or walls... it's something for the next tenant or the ex to discover.
    Yeah, they're basically chicken menses.
    Thanks for that. So much for scrambled eggs for breakfast.

    GungHo on
    "Adios, mofo" -- TX Gov Rick Perry (R)
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against the Irish) Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Drake wrote: »
    I always thought it was interesting that even though a chicken would offer a larger, more immediate meal, that the snakes knew to wait.
    It's not that they knew to wait, it's that the chicken most certainly did not offer a larger, more immediate, simply being much too big to eat.

    Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    I honestly wonder if most of these "foods" were just accidentally eaten at first, then as to not look like an idiot the person pretended they'd done it on purpose.

    "Dude, that egg has half a bird in it!"

    "It...uh...yeah, I know it does, it's the newest thing..." *throws up*

    "Did you just puke?"

    "No, I...uh... I said "BALUT"... that's what they're called!"

    Some other guy before was probably right when he said a lot of this weirder food was made up in lieu of anything else to eat. Paraphrasing from a book I don't remember, no one would eat a shark's fin unless someone was pinching the rest of the shark.
    Interesting Times, by Terry Pratchett.

    Captain Carrot on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A chicken might also be capable of kicking a barn snake's ass if it was so inclined, although I've never witnessed it firsthand.

    My mom also had chickens as a kid and she's terrified of the damn things. A pissed-off chicken can fuck you up.

    Drake is right, though, in recognizing how many animals like to go after eggs. Eggs are extremely nutritious and are one of the few good food sources for carnivores that don't fight back. It's like walking through the woods and finding a huge backpack full of energy bars and protein shakes just sitting there.

    With the caveat, of course, that there might be a pissed-off mama bird somewhere in the immediate vicinity.

    Duffel on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, chickens have claws and beaks and are quick, and snakes aren't exactly armored. For non-venomous snakes, a chicken is a formidable adversary.

    matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Living in Alaska is an adventure in culinary gimmicks. You should see what we sell the tourists here in Juneau.

    Well, I was kind of hoping this wasn't just a typo.
    jack eddy wrote: »
    I just discovered Breeze In, a local bakery/deli, open 24/7, also has a soft serve ice cream machine that pours out vanilla icecream with flavoring syrup in 4 ribbons along the side. Apparently, you can mix whatever flavors you like. A large waffle cone with Butter Pecan/Rootbear icecream cured all the sads on my sunday night.

    BubbaT on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ...a chicken is a formidable adversary.

    Congratulations, you won Phrase of the Day!

    Duffel on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    ...a chicken is a formidable adversary.

    Congratulations, you won Phrase of the Day!

    A chicken that is not a chicken, however, is simply hilarious.

    Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Duffel wrote: »
    ...a chicken is a formidable adversary.

    Congratulations, you won Phrase of the Day!

    A chicken that is not a chicken, however, is simply hilarious.

    I knew this was going to happen as soon as I submitted that post.

    Duffel on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What about it?

    Crimsondude on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What about it?

    How do you get cream from a shrimp? Do they have tiny little udders?

    ...come to think of it, I have the same questions about almond milk.

    :P

    emnmnme on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What about it?

    How do you get cream from a shrimp? Do they have tiny little udders?

    ...come to think of it, I have the same questions about almond milk.

    :P

    You think that's confusing, how about milk of magnesia?

    Raiden333 on
    steam_sig.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What about it?

    How do you get cream from a shrimp?

    A sexy outfit would be a good start.

    Crimsondude on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just sliced some turkey bacon into slices, I nuked some frozen hashbrowns for a minute to get them soft, after the turkey bacon had started to brown, I cracked two eggs on top with the heat low.

    I dumped the hash browns on the eggs and bacon and mixed them up. After seeing the eggs brown a little, I dumped them into a bowl with some ketchup and A-1 (salt and spices and cold to cool it off). It was delicious but I wish I had cooked more.

    RoyceSraphim on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against the Irish) Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What about it?

    How do you get cream from a shrimp? Do they have tiny little udders?

    ...come to think of it, I have the same questions about almond milk.

    :P
    I'd tell you about Cream of Mushroom, but I'm hesitant that it'd blow your mind.

    Gabriel_Pitt on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I looked at a can of hash the corned beef hash the other day. 140% of your daily fat intake right there.

    http://www.mealographer.com/food/ARMOUR/Corned-Beef-Hash-canned-entr-22692.html

    This is what killed people living in the 1940s off. Cup of coffee and a can of hash was the 'Domino's Fudge dessert pizza' of their day.

    emnmnme on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I looked at a can of hash the corned beef hash the other day. 140% of your daily fat intake right there.

    http://www.mealographer.com/food/ARMOUR/Corned-Beef-Hash-canned-entr-22692.html

    This is what killed people living in the 1940s off. Cup of coffee and a can of hash was the 'Domino's Fudge dessert pizza' of their day.

    How'd those jerks stay so thin then?

    Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Malkor wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I looked at a can of hash the corned beef hash the other day. 140% of your daily fat intake right there.

    http://www.mealographer.com/food/ARMOUR/Corned-Beef-Hash-canned-entr-22692.html

    This is what killed people living in the 1940s off. Cup of coffee and a can of hash was the 'Domino's Fudge dessert pizza' of their day.

    How'd those jerks stay so thin then?

    Their fruit juices and breads were made of fruit and wheat and not High Fructose Corn Syrups.

    Oh, and they all smoked a lot, too. Smoke yourself thin, America! It's our only hope.

    emnmnme on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I looked at a can of hash the corned beef hash the other day. 140% of your daily fat intake right there.

    http://www.mealographer.com/food/ARMOUR/Corned-Beef-Hash-canned-entr-22692.html

    This is what killed people living in the 1940s off. Cup of coffee and a can of hash was the 'Domino's Fudge dessert pizza' of their day.

    How'd those jerks stay so thin then?

    Their fruit juices and breads were made of fruit and wheat and not High Fructose Corn Syrups.

    Oh, and they all smoked a lot, too. Smoke yourself thin, America! It's our only hope.
    Well that and the fact that we were an agrarian-cum-industrial society at the time, as opposed to the service industry society we've turned into today.

    matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In short, they worked their fat asses off.

    Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • logic7logic7 Registered User
    edited October 2009
    I simply HAD to ressurect this thread.

    The Arizona State Fair is going on right now... The latest triple deep fried "food" available is:

    Chocolate-covered bacon
    Deep fried battered bacon on a stick with gravy
    Reindeer hot dogs
    Deep fried scorpion plain or dipped in chocolate
    Deep fried grasshoppers on a stick (All bugs that are FDA approved for human consumption)
    Sauteed meal worms served on a bun w/BBQ sauce
    Smoked lizard on a stick
    Chocolate covered jalepenos, scotch bonnet and habenaros peppers
    Deep fried tiramisu
    Deep fried frog legs
    Salmon & halibut tacos
    Salmon quesadillas
    Corn fritters – batter ball with corn kernels inside, served with honey butter
    Tornados on a stick (deep fried spiral cut potatoes)

    logic7 on
  • CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    logic7 wrote: »
    I simply HAD to ressurect this thread.

    The Arizona State Fair is going on right now... The latest triple deep fried "food" available is:

    Chocolate-covered bacon
    Deep fried battered bacon on a stick with gravy
    Reindeer hot dogs
    Deep fried scorpion plain or dipped in chocolate
    Deep fried grasshoppers on a stick (All bugs that are FDA approved for human consumption)
    Sauteed meal worms served on a bun w/BBQ sauce
    Smoked lizard on a stick
    Chocolate covered jalepenos, scotch bonnet and habenaros peppers
    Deep fried tiramisu
    Deep fried frog legs
    Salmon & halibut tacos
    Salmon quesadillas
    Corn fritters – batter ball with corn kernels inside, served with honey butter
    Tornados on a stick (deep fried spiral cut potatoes)
    I'd try the fried grasshoppers; they're sort of like tiny, flying cows. I would avoid the mealworms, though. Having raised those things to feed other animals in the past, I'm not too impressed with their hygiene. Salmon is pretty much delicious in anything, too, and I might be persuaded to eat a "reindeer hot dog".

    The rest of that stuff sounds awful, and I really do not understand the bacon obsession some people seem to go through.

    CycloneRanger on
  • logic7logic7 Registered User
    edited October 2009
    logic7 wrote: »
    I simply HAD to ressurect this thread.

    The Arizona State Fair is going on right now... The latest triple deep fried "food" available is:

    Chocolate-covered bacon
    Deep fried battered bacon on a stick with gravy
    Reindeer hot dogs
    Deep fried scorpion plain or dipped in chocolate
    Deep fried grasshoppers on a stick (All bugs that are FDA approved for human consumption)
    Sauteed meal worms served on a bun w/BBQ sauce
    Smoked lizard on a stick
    Chocolate covered jalepenos, scotch bonnet and habenaros peppers
    Deep fried tiramisu
    Deep fried frog legs
    Salmon & halibut tacos
    Salmon quesadillas
    Corn fritters – batter ball with corn kernels inside, served with honey butter
    Tornados on a stick (deep fried spiral cut potatoes)
    I'd try the fried grasshoppers; they're sort of like tiny, flying cows. I would avoid the mealworms, though. Having raised those things to feed other animals in the past, I'm not too impressed with their hygiene. Salmon is pretty much delicious in anything, too, and I might be persuaded to eat a "reindeer hot dog".

    The rest of that stuff sounds awful, and I really do not understand the bacon obsession some people seem to go through.

    bacon is the food of the gods. Though deep fried mit gravy??? sounds like it'll cause... death.

    logic7 on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    As long as they're not deep-frying those peppers, a bit of dark chocolate tastes just fine with them. Same thing with scorpions and grasshoppers.

    I'm sure after 3 layers of battering and frying a bug, it's nigh indistinguishable from any other ball of grease, so it's all glitz to make some money.

    Octoparrot on
    the GOP shouldn't give a rats ass about them since they won't vote for them. If someone won't vote for you they might as well not exist.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Heard about this on conservative radio:Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That tornado on a stick sound like a giant winding french fry. Or the unholy union of potato and corn dog...bleh.

    emnmnme on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I went to the SC state fair last weekend

    Among the amazing things they had

    Fried cookie dough
    Fried Pepsi
    Battered, fried Cherries
    Chocolate covered, battered, fried, bacon
    Banana, battered in corn dog batter, then fried

    Arch on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    logic7 wrote: »
    I simply HAD to ressurect this thread.

    The Arizona State Fair is going on right now... The latest triple deep fried "food" available is:

    Chocolate-covered bacon
    Deep fried battered bacon on a stick with gravy
    Reindeer hot dogs
    Deep fried scorpion plain or dipped in chocolate
    Deep fried grasshoppers on a stick (All bugs that are FDA approved for human consumption)
    Sauteed meal worms served on a bun w/BBQ sauce
    Smoked lizard on a stick
    Chocolate covered jalepenos, scotch bonnet and habenaros peppers
    Deep fried tiramisu
    Deep fried frog legs
    Salmon & halibut tacos
    Salmon quesadillas
    Corn fritters – batter ball with corn kernels inside, served with honey butter
    Tornados on a stick (deep fried spiral cut potatoes)
    Sorry... there's nothing wrong with deer sausage, chocolate covered peppers, frog legs, or corn fritters. Then again, I'm from Texas and I grew up on three of the four (everything but the chocolate covered peppers).

    For the peppers, if you want a proof of concept, go to a store and get one of these.

    GungHo on
    "Adios, mofo" -- TX Gov Rick Perry (R)
  • webguy20webguy20 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Reindeer is freaking delicious!

    webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • AtomikaAtomika Boobs McGee Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, nothing really beats the Texas State Fair in terms of excess. Things I saw (and ate many of):

    - Corn-battered Shrimp (like corndogs, but with seafood)
    - deep fried PB&J
    - deep fried peach
    - deep fried butter (wtf?)
    - Jamaican jerk turkey legs
    - foot-long corndogs
    - deep fried smores
    - deep fried bacon
    - deep fried candy bars
    - BBQ spring rolls
    - candied pork

    Atomika on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Damn. I may have to go to the fair this year just for lizard on a stick.

    Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bizarre Foods was at the Texas State fair. They had Deep-Fried Coke. Considering my junkie-like obsession with that beverage, I've never wanted nor feared a food item quite so much.

    They also had effectively, deep fried ice.

    Texas is weird.

    DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • logic7logic7 Registered User
    edited October 2009
    DHS wrote: »
    Bizarre Foods was at the Texas State fair. They had Deep-Fried Coke. Considering my junkie-like obsession with that beverage, I've never wanted nor feared a food item quite so much.

    They also had effectively, deep fried ice.

    Texas is weird.

    I tried deep fried coke a few years ago at the AZ State Fair.


    Um... I'm still alive and all, but... some things just don't need to be fried.

    logic7 on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So deep fried butter is real? I'd thought it was just an extremely misguided throwaway food joke. I guess I should have known.

    Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    Damn. I may have to go to the fair this year just for lizard on a stick.

    Please, for me, scream out "BOB'S IGUANA-ON-A-STICK IS PEOPLE"

    Octoparrot on
    the GOP shouldn't give a rats ass about them since they won't vote for them. If someone won't vote for you they might as well not exist.
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DHS wrote: »
    Bizarre Foods was at the Texas State fair. They had Deep-Fried Coke. Considering my junkie-like obsession with that beverage, I've never wanted nor feared a food item quite so much.

    If you replace Texas with SC and Coke with Pepsi

    this statement accurately describes how I felt this weekend

    Arch on
Sign In or Register to comment.