Options

The Space Sims Megathread (NSF56k/Aliens/Enemy Convoys)

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Okay two things

One: why are we not talking about Infinity: Quest for Earth?

Two: Freelancer deserves more of a mention for being a pretty awesome shoot 'em up and spawning mods like this:

One: It's never coming out.

Two: No joystick support!

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ah, good space sims, where have you gone?

Of the ones I've played, of course, Freespace 1 & 2, Freelancer and the X-Wing TIE fighter series are all awesome. I tried to get into Independence War, but the more realistic it got, the less fun it became.

It's a fine balance between challenge and cheap. It is most certainly NOT fun when you get jumped by a dozen ultra high end seeker missiles a minute away from completing a half hour long mission with no remaining chaff and have to START FROM SCRATCH.

For consoles, Colony Wars is ace, and for imports VFX-2 is awesome. Why? Because it has a flying transforming fighter bomber with BATTLESHIP sized guns on it.

And the Colony Wars commercial was the first really creepy and awesome videogame commercial I ever saw. All these dead bodies from a massacred transport floating through space with a little girl calling their names ending with, "mommy, daddy."

And then the player blowing 8-tons of hell out of the Imperials responsible.

"The guilty must be punished."

I still remember it well, but I can't find a copy of it right now.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I must be a heretic, I got Freespace 2 off GoG and installed the mods and the works and... I didn't quite like it. Everything felt... sloooowwww. Fighters should be faster. :?

I'll still give it another shot when I eventually get a new joystick, my old Sidewinder is MIA and my 360 Ace Edge doesn't work very well with a PC (nevermind its a slightly modified X52)

That said I'm enjoying X3:TC right now, the freelancer style mouse controls work well enough. I really need to get a new joystick though, I got Freespace, IL-2 and maybe a couple other games to try out when I do.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Okay two things

Two: Freelancer deserves more of a mention for being a pretty awesome shoot 'em up and spawning mods like this:

But Freeworlds!

Look at it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBjBIi5oDRU

as I link this video again, because seriously look how awesome it is

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    For consoles, Colony Wars is ace, and for imports VFX-2 is awesome. Why? Because it has a flying transforming fighter bomber with BATTLESHIP sized guns on it.

303980.jpg

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey, is there any way to get Freespace 2 to recognize the throttle slider on my joystick? I would really rather use it than taking my hands off my stick every 5 seconds to smash a different button on my keyboard just to alter my speed a little.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Free Worlds looks like a worse version of TIE Fighter in that video.

And MegaMek, my Freespace 2 recognizes my throttle fine; are you trying to rebind it at all?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    By default, it seems to not detect mine. I've tried to set it up on the control menu, but nothing happens.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    This thread got me back into Allegiance. Blew up 2 miners and a teleporter construction unit on my 2nd game. O.O

TekDragon on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    BTW, I just checked and Starlancer is pretty cheap on ebay.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Infinity: Quest for Earth should be in the 'future' list, because it's the real future of space simulation. Think Elite only MMO and on a larger scale.

http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=33

The guy programming it is a complete genius as well, and the community has a huge impact on the development.

def_lighting_12_med.jpg

See this? This is rendered with the engine and is what it will look like in game.

rayofash on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Okay two things

One: fuck you don't crush my dreams

Two: I don't have a joystick anymore so all I can really play is Freelancer and it is very fun so fuck you

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh, somebody else mentioned Infinity. Yay!

rayofash on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Docken wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Out of the current games (2006+) which would be a good "first buy." I really want to play a space sim, but I don't know which to pick.

And I look forward to your Mech thread. I've probably missed a lot of great mech games too. I have a bad habit of sticking with big name-brand IPs and I don't branch out much. That's why I've only played the SW sims, and why the only real mech games I've ever played were all Battletech.

Freespace + Freespace 2. Buy them off of GoG.com then do the whole SCP thing.

This is true.

Freespace is still the king.

So, uh, what is the whole SCP thing? What mod should I install with Freespace 2 for the best single player experience?

Vic on
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Free Worlds looks like a worse version of TIE Fighter in that video.

And MegaMek, my Freespace 2 recognizes my throttle fine; are you trying to rebind it at all?

Every Star Wars space combat game is a worse verson of TIE Fighter, you'll just have to accept that.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Holy shit infinity looks awesome

Khavall on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You know, I like my space flight games with the mouse more than I do with the joystick. I tried Freespace 2 with a joystick, and it just felt wrong.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Hey, is there any way to get Freespace 2 to recognize the throttle slider on my joystick? I would really rather use it than taking my hands off my stick every 5 seconds to smash a different button on my keyboard just to alter my speed a little.

So, can anyone help with this throttle slider issue?

MegaMek on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It didn't see my throttle slider either, I've got no clue, unless the launcher has an option that may help

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    rayofash wrote: »

Two other people did, in fact. It's not on the list because it's never coming out. The name is about as ironic as Duke Nukem Forever's name, come to think of it.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    OH MY GOD the Ravana bombing level is the worst time I have had in a game for years. Hey, let us throw in a few bombers with a token fighter wing that gets taken out within the first minute of the fighting against a cruiser with endless fighter wings! That'll go well!

I got to 15% of the Ravanas hull once, but the mission always ends with a fighter wing porting in within 1000 units of me, latching onto my ass and then killing me. Once I managed to shake them by skimming along the Ravanas hull, but that ended when I managed to fly right past its flak battery. Normally I just fly around with two of them after me, rolling and looping like a maniac while spamming the countermeasures key for like a minute until I die.

Vic on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Two other people did, in fact. It's not on the list because it's never coming out. The name is about as ironic as Duke Nukem Forever's name, come to think of it.

It certainly looks cool, and it does feel like it's never coming out, but they constantly update their development blogs with lots of new information and screenshots. It's pretty impressive for a game being made by a small team. The scale, the planets, look absolutely GORGEOUS - they procedurally generated an entire friggin' galaxy. I'd love for them to talk about or show off what features there are to make the world feel alive, though. Right now it just looks like you can fly around in space or down to the surface of a planet and not much else.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I say that penny arcade must band together to acquire the largest ship in Inifinity: Quest for earth, and name it "Gabe's Wang" We must lie, cheat, steal, barter, bribe, anoint, wed and web, who or whatever we must to make it a reality.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Vic wrote: »
    Docken wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Out of the current games (2006+) which would be a good "first buy." I really want to play a space sim, but I don't know which to pick.

And I look forward to your Mech thread. I've probably missed a lot of great mech games too. I have a bad habit of sticking with big name-brand IPs and I don't branch out much. That's why I've only played the SW sims, and why the only real mech games I've ever played were all Battletech.

Freespace + Freespace 2. Buy them off of GoG.com then do the whole SCP thing.

This is true.

Freespace is still the king.

So, uh, what is the whole SCP thing? What mod should I install with Freespace 2 for the best single player experience?

SCP stands for Source Code Project. Basically Volition released the source code for Freespace 2 about five years ago, and since then there's been a pretty dedicated modding community reworking the game. New textures, graphics effects, lighting, stuff like that. It's even got a fairly intuitive downloader / installer.

It's a pretty modding effort by the Freespace community, and several mods base themselves off the features built into Freespace by the SCP.

You can find out how to get started here:
    http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,42854.0.html

This video's been posted, but anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6VhyMzu12c

You really need to see it in high res though. And that video's from fairly early on in the project so a lot's been added since then.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    With the SCP, and the mediavps mod, Freespace 2 could be put on the market again today, and look as good as most other modern games. It also makes it easier to download and install mods, since they are all in the installer

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Infinity: Quest for Earth should be in the 'future' list, because it's the real future of space simulation. Think Elite only MMO and on a larger scale.

http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=33

The guy programming it is a complete genius as well, and the community has a huge impact on the development.

def_lighting_12_med.jpg

See this? This is rendered with the engine and is what it will look like in game.

The engine looks really impressive, as does the scale. Planets are amazing, outside and inside the atmosphere, and it seems like it would be fun just to fly around in this game. They're not certain if they'll have a fee, but they did say they'll probably offer a free offline version where you can just dick around. I just hope there will be plenty to do, missions and things to shoot. That's what I'd like to see in the development blogs next.

I love looking at the in-atmosphere pictures and seeing moons in the sky. What gets me is that those aren't drawn there. It's not a skybox. It's an actual sky. I can fly straight out of the atmosphere and to those other moons or planets, same with planetary rings.

We need more space games that let you fly into and out of atmospheres. I want planets to be physical options, dammit. That's one reason why I love Evochron Legends, even though the universe is a bit devoid of personality or life. X3 does a fantastic job of making the universe feel alive, but everything in the background is just that. I can't interact with those giant planets. I'd kill for an X game where I could.

Edit: Oh my God, I just watched one of the videos where he zooms out from the surface of the planet into space, and then flies the camera around and into the rings. My pants!

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    Edit: Oh my God, I just watched one of the videos where he zooms out from the surface of the planet into space, and then flies the camera around and into the rings. My pants!

*doo doo doo never coming out*

People have been creaming themselves over this thing in the time it has taken entire civilizations to rise and fall leaving nothing but cryptic ruins for Lara Croft to exercise in.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

*doo doo doo never coming out*

People have been creaming themselves over this thing in the time it has taken entire civilizations to rise and fall leaving nothing but cryptic ruins for Lara Croft to exercise in.

Right, because I can't appreciate a video. You seem to be full of angst today, man, in the RO thread and now here.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I just don't want to get anyone's hopes up. This thread is about how space sims are awesome and there are lots of them coming out, not about the one space sim that ISN'T coming out. I'd pin your MMO hopes on Jumpgate and Black Prophecy.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    delroland wrote: »
    My favorite part of FS2 is when Beta 2 shows up. Remember him? He was the dude that was part of Beta wing, the one that disappeared in the nebula without a trace.

Then you go back to the nebula, like a bajillion missions later, feeling all hot shit because you are totally pwning the badguys left and right, when all of a sudden you get a random blip on radar: Beta 2 appearing out of nowhere on full afterburner going, 'OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT,' towards the GTVA fleet, with a bunch of baddies hot on his ass.

That was when the shit hit the fan, and it was glorious. :twisted:

Edit: also, drunken emo WC3 piloting is fun! :D

WC3
    Was it even possible to save Angel on that one mission versus the douchebag Kilrathi ace?

I'm playing through freespace 2 right now for the first time. fuck your face. I know its been decades and there really is no reason at all for you to be spoilering that. But still.. fuck your face. Fuck your face right to the devils house.

The only thing I'm not liking about the game is a lack of cockpit. I know its based off descent but I don't like feeling like doomguy in space.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Omega2112Omega2112 GW2 AKA: Robocow, Veristia Reaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

The only thing I'm not liking about the game is a lack of cockpit. I know its based off descent but I don't like feeling like doomguy in space.

If you're playing SCP some if not most of the fighter models have cockpits and there's some launcher option I think that shows the cockpit

Omega2112 on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thanks to this thread, I'm now murdering my bandwidth once again downloading the Freespace SCP. It's just too much good.

That said, I have to really give some love to Independence War 2. The physics, oh god, the physics. I also love the way long distance travel is handled in the game, the way the autopilot will plot courses around planets etc. I love the first one as well, and if had the more open ended design of its sequel it would probably be my favorite of the two. I liked playing an Officer in a military where you aren't sure if you are doing the right thing or not, and then getting presented with choices to make based on those ambiguities. It tried with it's branching storyline but ultimately I-War 2 wins out just for the ability to camp LaGrange points and wait for a juicy target. I guess I'm installing that one too, after I get done downloading the FS SCP stuff again. After the Freespace and Independence War games, I could never find satisfaction in a Star Wars space sim. They just flat out wrecked the Star Wars sims, as far as I'm concerned.

Drake on
  • Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I dont get most of the space sims. Really all i want is to blow stuff in space with a cool ship,not wasting weeks only to figure out how to play the game

AdditionalPylons on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I dont get most of the space sims. Really all i want is to blow stuff in space with a cool ship,not wasting weeks only to figure out how to play the game

I never found the X series to be that difficult to play, but the learning curve seems to shoots up when it comes to creating a trade empire. Unfortunately, for past games the only real way to make money was to trade. In the latest game, X3: Terran Conflict, there are lots of combat and escort and other missions you can accept from stations to earn you lots of money. You might want to give that game a try.

If you want a simpler game, Spaceforce: Rogue Universe isn't bad. You don't get to pilot giant capital ships like in the X games, but it's still fun. You can recruit three other pilots to join you as you explore, take on missions, and mostly shoot up people.

Dashui on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Freespace 2 is all about wrecking shit. No trading or taxi missions. The essential controls aren't that difficult to get a grip on either. If you haven't tried it and have a few bucks to blow, check it out on GoG.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

TIE Fighter, Freespace 2, Tarr Chronicles, Wing Commander Anything, and (yech) Freelancer are your best bets.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I never found the X series to be that difficult to play, but the learning curve seems to shoots up when it comes to creating a trade empire. Unfortunately, for past games the only real way to make money was to trade. In the latest game, X3: Terran Conflict, there are lots of combat and escort and other missions you can accept from stations to earn you lots of money. You might want to give that game a try.

If you want a simpler game, Spaceforce: Rogue Universe isn't bad. You don't get to pilot giant capital ships like in the X games, but it's still fun. You can recruit three other pilots to join you as you explore, take on missions, and mostly shoot up people.
    Does X3:TC still have that amazingly retarded "feature" that purposefully made 90% of the missions on the bulletin board always require a combat or trade rank one level above your own? Because that made me want to fly to Germany and just start punching people at random.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    X3:TC doesn't even have the BBS anymore, you just comm a station within 25km and get missions from a menu screen (assuming they have missions available, which'll be indicated by various symbols on the stations HUD/Map icon).

And any mission shown you can accept. Not always a bright idea though because some are just stupid or impossible.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    ConnoQuicksilverConnoQuicksilver Current blackout status: Mass Effect 3, Batman: AC Athens. GreeceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Vic wrote: »
    OH MY GOD the Ravana bombing level is the worst time I have had in a game for years. Hey, let us throw in a few bombers with a token fighter wing that gets taken out within the first minute of the fighting against a cruiser with endless fighter wings! That'll go well!

I got to 15% of the Ravanas hull once, but the mission always ends with a fighter wing porting in within 1000 units of me, latching onto my ass and then killing me. Once I managed to shake them by skimming along the Ravanas hull, but that ended when I managed to fly right past its flak battery. Normally I just fly around with two of them after me, rolling and looping like a maniac while spamming the countermeasures key for like a minute until I die.

My (slightly long and perhaps too detailed) walkthrough for this particular mission. Also feel free to check out the Freespace Wiki for all the background, technical info, walkthroughs and spoilers you'll ever need. (I have nothing to do with it, it's just a great resource)
    Step 1: Once the mission starts, radio your bomber wing to disarm the Ravana and the fighter wing to cover you, buying you some precious minutes. Everyone WILL die one way or another, at least they can be sacrificed to make your job a bit easier.

Step 2: Full engine power, half shields, burner on, RUSH and get to 500m of the Ravana's weapon subsystem (at it's underbelly) & blast it with a pair of Cyclops torpedoes. With it's weapon subsystem knocked out the Ravana can't fire beams and can't aim shit with it's other weapons. Now you only have the fighters to worry about.

Step 3: RUSH and head for the Vasudan corvette ("GVCv Khenmu") supporting the attack. This is now your "safe zone". It will easily take care of any fighters chasing you, and you can rearm and repair safely. It will also attack the Ravana with it's beams from it's rear, where the Ravana has no anti-cap beams. This means that as long as you stay alive, the Ravana will be hit and eventually die from the corvette. Yes, this really is a mission where "discretion is the better part of valor". Just let everyone kill each other. Once all the Shivan fighters are dead by your fighters and the Khenmu, the Ravana will launch a new wing of Basilisks, a token threat that you can take on your own. Still, it might take some time to let the Ravana wear down itself so as long as you're not too damaged, feel free to...

Step 4: ...Once there are only 1 or 2 Basilisks left engaging the corvette RUSH for the Ravana, shoot 2 torpedo pairs and retreat again, before a new fighter wing appears. Target subsystems so that you're not just wearing down it's hull but also crippling it's systems. Go for the weapon system first (if it's still operational), then engines and sensors. Oh, and if you do get jumped by fighters, the Basilisk is a heavy clutz that you should be able to out-turn and blast before getting back to the Khenmu.

Step 5: As soon as the Ravana's hull reaches 5% or less, retreat and wait for the fireworks.

Step 6: ???

Step 7: Profit!

Still, if you're having trouble with this mission, you'll be clawing out yer eyeballs on the mission where
    you'll be attacking the SJ Sathanas.
    The "SJ" stands for "Shivan Juggernaut", BTW.

But trust me, you've only seen a moderate level of the awesome that Freespace 2 has to offer. Godspeed, pilot!

ConnoQuicksilver on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    X3:TC doesn't even have the BBS anymore, you just comm a station within 25km and get missions from a menu screen (assuming they have missions available, which'll be indicated by various symbols on the stations HUD/Map icon).

And any mission shown you can accept. Not always a bright idea though because some are just stupid or impossible.
    My interest in this game increases. Have they made any improvements to the interface as a whole? Having Freelancer style controls is great and all, but the real genius of FL's interface was that it took full advantage of the fact that you had a mouse cursor on the screen to let you quickly and easily do what other games required dozens of hotkeys for. I'm not expecting anything on the level of FL, but I'd need something that at least acknowledges that I have a mouse.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
This discussion has been closed.