Options

The Space Sims Megathread (NSF56k/Aliens/Enemy Convoys)

1565758596062»

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I didn't figure it'd do much, but I also figured since some of my traders have a rear turret I might as well put a cheap gun in there.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Do not arm them. Right now if they are attacked, they run. Give them a jumpdrive, and they'll run more effectively. If you arm them, they will attempt to fight to the death.

Plus, out of sector combat is turn-based. Biggest gun wins.

• Options
    Huh, I did not know that. Well then, time to get rid of the guns!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Pretty sure they will arm themselves once they reach a certain level, and it'll cost more from your coffers because of the "delievery" premium

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Forgot to mention I lost a ship while at work yesterday but I made so much fucking money I didn't care.

Bought a Cerberus this morning when I woke up and started to fit it with weapons. Will try and finish the job when I get home (flak, fuck yeah) and fill up it's hangar (it got upgraded from 6 to 10 in AP!), then I'll look into getting a Panther I think because it can hold 20 ships in it's hangar. Then I'll look into starting my own factory complex and maybe fuck around with the stock exchange. Plus I was thinking of getting some fully-kitted out fighters (some M3s and M4s) and flying around as a wing and doing combat stuffs. Explore more sectors too.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If you want to be hard core, get your self a Hyperion.

Best ship in the game, hands down. Manuvers like a M5 and hits like an M2, and can also dock two fighters.

Poisoned Paranid start even gives you a super tuned one, but you're all ready invested in your current game so dont worry about that.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    How is the modding scene for AP? When it first came out, I kind felt like it was going to be largely ignored, but it's still kicking, content-wise. Just curious if it became the new TC for mods.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    i think most TC mods work with little problem in AP or have been fully converted

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Well fuck my shit, that's pretty much Homeworld + space sim where you can directly take control of any ship? I'm so hard I can't breathe

edit: oh hey, there's a really early demo available on their website, the latest version is from yesterday. When I get home I'm going to download that so hard I make everyone around me uncomfortable.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Huh. Cool.

That said, I find myself to be less a fan of "shoot the massive hud designations floating in space" because you can't even see what you're shooting at. I want to shoot ships, not blips!

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I spent about an hour with Lunar Flight tonight, and I had a lot of fun with it. I got it in a bundle a while back and it wasn't that friendly to get into. The devs have put in some solid work on the game and now it feels a lot more polished. They've even added combat, which I have no clue about other than it's there and I have it turned off for the moment. There's difficulty modifiers to give you a chance to get your feet wet without suffering any consequences. You have to pay for your fuel and keep up repairs on your lunar module. You have a pilot profile you can advance. As it levels you can purchase upgrades to your module, which will allow you to take on tougher jobs. There are three kinds of jobs. Survey, Cargo Delivery and Cargo Recovery, and there are about six maps to play on, including Mars. Basically it's pretty chill space trucking and exploration stuff on the Moooooon (and Mars!) in a swanky retro style Lunar Module. The focus is on precision thrust vectoring in Low-G operations around hostile terrain. I don't know about you but that makes me stiff. There are time trials too and you can also blow each other up online. The graphics do good service to the subject matter, and the audio is sufficiently retro and funky faux-NASA sci fi. It's going for five bucks right now on Steam and I think it's easily worth the price. It's probably playable with KBAM but the default profile for the 360 pad feels really natural.

I'm planning on spending a lot more time with this now and I think the developers should be acknowledged and reap the rewards for the support they have put into this game. It's only on sale for six and a half more hours, so don't think about it for too long!

Here's a trailer for the new combat stuff. It looks nuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i687W-DVV0

Drake on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Well fuck my shit, that's pretty much Homeworld + space sim where you can directly take control of any ship? I'm so hard I can't breathe

edit: oh hey, there's a really early demo available on their website, the latest version is from yesterday. When I get home I'm going to download that so hard I make everyone around me uncomfortable.

It's pretty sad however most of these new space games still don't look any better than Freespace 2.

Do we live in the dark ages or something?

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    captaink wrote: »
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Are there any space sims out there these days that are more like Freelancer? I have tried Evochron Mercenary, but the lack of the game explaining ANYTHING makes me get bored quickly.

Haha! Read this page, I asked a few days ago. The answer seems to be "not many".

@captaink @tsmvengy have you guys tried Miner Wars 2081?

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Have not; I'll have to check it out!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    This might be the wrong place to ask this but could I run Freespace 2 with the open textures on a raspberry pi?

• Options
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

It's pretty sad however most of these new space games still don't look any better than Freespace 2.

Do we live in the dark ages or something?

But they're being made by tiny teams in comparison.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options

Buyer beware. The game has issues and it seems like the developers have abandoned it.

On the other hand Lunar Flight received amazing after market support. It's finely polished and really quite wonderful. If you are familiar with vectored thrust (think Independence War and EvoMercs unassisted flight model) you will feel right at home. The introduction of operating within a gravity well is a fine addition to the gentle ballet of vectored flight. The lunar landscape is quite nice at providing interesting navigational challenges and the thought of dealing with Mars' increased gravitation and the presence of weather has me pretty excited.

Still haven't messed around with the combat yet, something tells me it's probably worth waiting on some additional gyro, thrust and fuel efficiency upgrades to really get the most out of that aspect of the game. This is a pretty incredible game for a one man project, and one of the best uses of the Unity engine I've seen so far. If you want a space sim that's a bit outside of the usual formula of WW II in Spaaace then give it a shot. I'm pretty impressed, this game is now on the short list of my favorite space sims. It needs more love.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Fuuuuuuuuuccckkkkk...
    Interplay Entertainment Corporation, publisher of Baldur's Gate and the original Fallout games, purchased the Freespace intellectual property from THQ and Volition for $7,500, according to a court document filed on June 4 (PDF link).

A Copyright Assignment and Quitclaim Agreement, which was also filed on June 4 but became effective May 10, states that THQ and Volition relinquish their rights to the combat space sim IP to Interplay. According to a search on the United States Patent and Trademark Office website, Interplay is the current trademark holder for Freespace.

Volition developed Descent: FreeSpace - The Great War in 1998 and its sequel, FreeSpace 2, the following year. Interplay published both games. THQ purchased Volition in 2000, after which the developer went on to create the Red Faction and Saints Row series of games. Koch Media purchased Volition earlier this year after THQ's bankruptcy.

Interplay continues to sell both original Freespace games on sites like GOG.com.

For $7500, a few of us in here could have chipped in on it. This is hugely disappointing.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Eh, I mean, that's lame, but on the other hand the Freespace franchise is hardly the best thing about the game. It's the game itself that owns, and people can still make amazing space sims without calling them Freespace. Freespace 2 had a great ending too and I'm not even sure I want the story to continue on into Freespace 3.

But you're totally right. $7,500 is like, nothing. We could've bought that shit, slapped it on some shovelware, and raked in the cash!

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    FS2 ended on a giant cliffhanger with several unresolved plot lines:

1. The Shivans just blew up a star (edit: and the good guys' supership), and promptly left with their giant fleet of Sathanaseses. All you did was run away (or not...)
    2. There's every reason to think they're going to continue exterminating humanity and the Vasudans
    3. They still haven't spelled out the motivations of the Shivans (although Mass Effect did tread a lot of the same ground)
    4. Admiral Bosch's plan succeeded, and his whereabouts are unknown
    5. The Sol jumpgate is still collapsed, and no one knows what Terra has been up to

How is Halo 2 considered an abrupt ending, but this isn't? The good guys were screwed at the end of FS2. How can people ask for sequels to Grim Fandango and Full Throttle, but treat Freespace as a nicely wrapped-up ending with no sequel potential? Did I only play to the bad ending of FS2, or miss the expansion pack?

EDIT: Have to agree that Interplay means it's going nowhere. They're practically out of business, and their idea to drum up interest for the 20th anniversary was to re-release FS2 for the low, low price of... $49.95. Ugh.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Cliffhanger, yes. But as I recall:
    1: The Shivans blew up the most important star, the final one that had access to the jump node into Terran space. As such, by doing so, destroyed the jump node themselves and could no longer access the rest of Terran space (this is effectively what you were doing during the final missions anyway, destroying nodes so that they couldn't come through. There was no chance of defending against that armada). That in itself is a cliffhanger though, since we don't know why they did it (I have my own speculations), sacrificing many of their own ships to do so, and whether they even intended to cut themselves off from the rest Terran space like that.

2 & 3: Probably, if they can. Unless there's some other ulterior motive going on.

4: Bosch was taken away. Whether this was part of his plans all along, or not, we don't know. Personally I suspect he's been captured because they feel they can get information from him / use him, since he was the only one to ever "communicate" with them. That and the fact that they effectively attacked his ship to get to him. This does not sound like it was something he intended but it's impossible to say.

5. The ending monologue in either ending states that because of this series of events, they've gained technology which would potentially allow them to stabilise the Sol jump node. This is basically what the Gateways that Bosch discovered were, a means of stabilising nodes (which is basically why the Sol node couldn't be used at the end of the first game when the SD Lucifer was destroyed part-way through it). Either way, as you say, nobody knows what happened to Earth in the meantime. The in-game database suggests that after the collapse, Earth could not have survived on its own without some heavy socio/political restructuring.

In the end though, yes FS2 is still considered a Cliffhanger, I don't think anybody doubts that.

subedii on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    For the last decade I've been telling people on internet forums that Volition couldn't make Freespace 3 because Interplay owned the rights.

I would like to publicly apologize to all those I have misled.

In my defense: butts.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    subedii wrote: »
    1: The Shivans blew up the most important star, the final one that had access to the jump node into Terran space. As such, by doing so, destroyed the jump node themselves and could no longer access the rest of Terran space (this is effectively what you were doing during the final missions anyway, destroying nodes so that they couldn't come through. There was no chance of defending against that armada). That in itself is a cliffhanger though, since we don't know why they did it (I have my own speculations), sacrificing many of their own ships to do so, and whether they even intended to cut themselves off from the rest Terran space like that.

2 & 3: Probably, if they can. Unless there's some other ulterior motive going on.

4: Bosch was taken away. Whether this was part of his plans all along, or not, we don't know. Personally I suspect he's been captured because they feel they can get information from him / use him, since he was the only one to ever "communicate" with them. That and the fact that they effectively attacked his ship to get to him. This does not sound like it was something he intended but it's impossible to say.

5. The ending monologue in either ending states that because of this series of events, they've gained technology which would potentially allow them to stabilise the Sol jump node. This is basically what the Gateways that Bosch discovered were, a means of stabilising nodes (which is basically why the Sol node couldn't be used at the end of the first game when the SD Lucifer was destroyed part-way through it). Either way, as you say, nobody knows what happened to Earth in the meantime. The in-game database suggests that after the collapse, Earth could not have survived on its own without some heavy socio/political restructuring.

In the end though, yes FS2 is still considered a Cliffhanger, I don't think anybody doubts that.

Well, is that something people don't want to see followed up? I was confused by "Freespace 2 had a great ending too and I'm not even sure I want the story to continue on into Freespace 3," as I thought it was a great ending for the second entry in a trilogy, not so much as the capstone of the series. I kind of assumed everyone felt the same way and wanted to see the whole thing go somewhere.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Also I think there's one thing we can agree about in regards to Interplay buying the Freespace IP for $7500:

at least it isn't Derek Smart.

• Options
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »

Well, is that something people don't want to see followed up? I was confused by "Freespace 2 had a great ending too and I'm not even sure I want the story to continue on into Freespace 3," as I thought it was a great ending for the second entry in a trilogy, not so much as the capstone of the series. I kind of assumed everyone felt the same way and wanted to see the whole thing go somewhere.

I'd love to see a Freespace 3. But so much time has gone by it makes things difficult to follow up on from a story perspective. Shivans are completely and absolutely inscrutable, their behavior in the various missions is the only kind of story development they ever get. It might hard to explain why the galaxy lives in such terror of these guys other than just, " they're generic space aliens 101."

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Enemy star fighter has some new gif's up.

edit:
    http://youtu.be/O9WDjZmdem4

Its on greenlight

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    Whatever that is, it's amazing and I need it now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Enemy star fighter has some new gif's up.

edit:
    http://youtu.be/O9WDjZmdem4

Its on greenlight

The youtube has nothing to do with enemy starfighter...

• Options
    Yeah, I accidentally put that video in the enemy starfighter thread, and when I jumped back here, I tried to edit this new piece on into my old past, failing to realize it would have made a lot of fucking sense to actually put a fucking title in like a fucking sane human being.

But yeah, that's a four man team, and Enemy Starfighter is one man, I want to throw money at both of them.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Oh hey, Void Destroyer is getting Kickstarted, and has almost met it's second stretch goal with 64 hours to spare! The alpha demo was pretty fun so I can't wait to see what the full game will be like!

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bmBpfTt9UXY

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    An entire faction, whose ships are asteroids, with guns and engines shoved into the sides?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdJnTp-gtuE

• Options
    edited June 2013
    That Strike Vector video is showing me things that I need.

Note the fuzzy dice at 55 seconds. That's just one of the things I need.

Drake on
  • Options
    Kinetic Void is 50% off on Steam which is funny because it's still not released yet. I've heard good stuff though.

This discussion has been closed.