Options

The Space Sims Megathread (NSF56k/Aliens/Enemy Convoys)

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This Tomorrow War thing looks pretty sweet; I hope the reviews are good. Them Russians always seem to make some of the neatest games. Something about Eastern Europe that makes people hardcore PC enthusiasts or something.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Tomorrow War is kind of rough but still good. The only problem I have is that all of the in flight chatter is broken. So you have no idea what the hell is going on when you're flying around. I don't know if this was a fuckup with the files or if they just couldn't get english voice actors to do the lines. I personally would be fine with russian voices with subtitles. Anyway, I'm not playing the game until they fix the in flight voice files.

vhzod on
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    This thread makes me want to slam my head against my Macbook and then build a decent PC and drop a fortune on some fancy-dan joysticks.

Every time I come to this section, all I basically get out of it is: "Buy a PC. Forsake your Mac."

The Wikipedia for X3 says there's a Mac version but the website doesn't mention it...Am I crazy?

deadlyrhetoric on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The talk about crew options for capital ships sounds similar for my idea for the next Battlefield game where you could have a triage tent in the back for medics to play a trauma center type game where they could boost their victory counter, decrease the enemy kill total, etc., just to keep in the fight longer.

But as I write this, I consider this super capitol ship sim game and wonder if we will have gamertags where people's skills at weapons control, fighter skills, ship to ship boarding, etc would be listed and tallied.

edit: Could someone give me detailed instructions on how to install texture packs to Freespace 1 and 2, I look through hard light productions and the like but keep getting referred to the open source pack when i already bought them through GOG.com!

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The talk about crew options for capital ships sounds similar for my idea for the next Battlefield game where you could have a triage tent in the back for medics to play a trauma center type game where they could boost their victory counter, decrease the enemy kill total, etc., just to keep in the fight longer.

But as I write this, I consider this super capitol ship sim game and wonder if we will have gamertags where people's skills at weapons control, fighter skills, ship to ship boarding, etc would be listed and tallied.

edit: Could someone give me detailed instructions on how to install texture packs to Freespace 1 and 2, I look through hard light productions and the like but keep getting referred to the open source pack when i already bought them through GOG.com!

I don't think you actually install the texture packs by themselves. Just install FS2 open 3.10 with all the media VPs. That's all, it's pretty much automated.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Make sure to select mediavp as the mod too, else it won't change a thing. There are also some other options you can fiddle with in the SCP launcher for other graphical effects

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    MagitekMagitek Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I remember playing starshatter a long time ago.. and it just didn't seem any good.

However I have a huge boner for dynamic campaign type things where you're not center of the universe for once(and you can RETREAT instead of suicide). Are there any mods that improve starshatter considerably, or any I should have?

After playing FS2 and knowing there is no equal, I've more or less given up on small-scale space fighters. I want to captain something that commands respect. WTB creaking submarine-type destroyer/battleships in space with decent technical/strategical combat where I'm not king of the universe. Couldn't hurt to have an interactive crew of some sort.
    Anyone mentioning BC3000AD gets their eyes gouged out.

Space fever is difficult to cure in this era.

Magitek on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Magitek wrote: »
    I remember playing starshatter a long time ago.. and it just didn't seem any good.

However I have a huge boner for dynamic campaign type things where you're not center of the universe for once(and you can RETREAT instead of suicide). Are there any mods that improve starshatter considerably, or any I should have?

After playing FS2 and knowing there is no equal, I've more or less given up on small-scale space fighters. I want to captain something that commands respect. WTB creaking submarine-type destroyer/battleships in space with decent technical/strategical combat where I'm not king of the universe. Couldn't hurt to have an interactive crew of some sort.

Play some Wing Commander. They have alternate mission paths depending on your success/failure on missions.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Alternate mission paths aren't sufficient for my lust. isn't wing commander just small-time crafts aswell? gotten kinda tired of the fighter pilot role..

On another note..
    could use a space game where ships don't just fight to the death like mindless drones; what do they do with CPU time in space sims?
    Morale / sub-systems simulation / ballistics / radar simulation .. blah blah I could probably go on forever. Space genre really needs another miracle title to spring back into mainstream. (not that overloading them on simulation stuffs would probably help)

Magitek on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, but Wing Commander has Mark Hammil and Malcolm McDowell.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm kinda interested in Infinite Space which is being developed for the criminally underpowered DS.
    Developed by the same blokes that made Mad world. (though I find the relation difficult to comprehend)

It's the closest to The Sims in space yet!
    Apparently getting an NA release sometime 2009 but I wouldn't put any money on it.

If you can't handle anime/japanese games don't look!
    http://au.ds.ign.com/articles/889/889716p1.html

Magitek on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

If you want to abandon us hot-shot dogfighters and space aces and take charge of capital ships, something like Nexus: The Jupiter Incident or Homeworld II is more up your alley.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah I've already burnt Nexus thoroughly.. which is why I was looking at starshatter with distant eyes.
    HW is sorta out of the space simulation category I think(or the one i'm hoping for atleast), though it too was played to death.
    Thanks for the suggestion however.

The guys behind silent hunter need to chew out a space title for me! /frothymouth

Magitek on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/stargate-mod-war-begins

install this and burn through it again.

i want to pilot a corvette or a light frigate.

i hated freespace for not having decent heavy ships.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Did the Tomorrow War come out? Cool i'm gonna have to try it. It interested me when i read it at RPS, but i never thought it would see the light of day.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Did the Tomorrow War come out? Cool i'm gonna have to try it. It interested me when i read it at RPS, but i never thought it would see the light of day.
    I'm really interested in that game as well but I'm a bit vary of it since the translation seems to be pretty bad.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

However, the only Wing Commander game with any success/failure mission branching to speak of is Wing Commander 1. And really, the only branch that most people fail is Kurusawa, saving the #&!$ Ralari. Wing Commander 3 and 4 have some decision-based branching, but it affects the cutscenes a lot more than it affects the missions you fly.

re: Tomorrow War

In addition to the translation being bad, I've heard that it's egregiously buggy. Among other complaints, some people (possibly everyone, the official forums are kind of dead) can't seem to finish the game because it crashes out four missions before the end.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm kinda interested in Infinite Space which is being developed for the criminally underpowered DS.
    Developed by the same blokes that made Mad world. (though I find the relation difficult to comprehend)

Apparently getting an NA release sometime 2009 but I wouldn't put any money on it.

If you're looking for The Sims in Space, I'd suggest trying Space Colony. It's more Roger Wilco than James T. Kirk, so if you want a serious story it might not be for you, but it's still a surprising bit of fun.

SammyF on
  • Options
    fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »

However, the only Wing Commander game with any success/failure mission branching to speak of is Wing Commander 1. And really, the only branch that most people fail is Kurusawa, saving the #&!$ Ralari. Wing Commander 3 and 4 have some decision-based branching, but it affects the cutscenes a lot more than it affects the missions you fly.

re: Tomorrow War

In addition to the translation being bad, I've heard that it's egregiously buggy. Among other complaints, some people (possibly everyone, the official forums are kind of dead) can't seem to finish the game because it crashes out four missions before the end.

I'd say WC3 had some legit branching - you could survive all your missions and loose the game, that was pretty cool.

I wish they made it possible to save the Behemoth, though, because I was able to get all those Kilrathi bombers and any missiles they got for a while, but eventually it'd take one hit and explode. I loved how big that thing was.

I also liked how the good guys had the giant planet-killing laser weapon while the bad guys sent a small bomber force to target it's weak point in a last-ditch effort to save their homeworld.

Which failed anyway when I earthquaked it to little bits.

fshavlak on
  • Options
    ArasenArasen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    1) Anyone know how to get the X-Wing Trilogy to work in Vista64?
    2) Is Starshatter worh looking into?
    3) Anyone who hasn't at least tried Allegiance really needs to. And it's free, why not?
    4) Are there any how to play and make sense of X3 guides?

Arasen on
    [SIGPIC]steam_sig.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Arasen wrote: »

This question comes up in every thread that even mentions X3 because it's so friggin' complicated, and the answer is always "yes." :) X3 is a difficult game to find information on in the forums because the title's to short, but you have better luck looking for the subtitle, Reunion.

Here's the latest thread devoted to the title, with helpful info, links to start guides, etc. Have fun!

SammyF on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Anybody mention Darkspace? -- http://www.darkspace.net/

An older game but I had alot of fun playing it back in the day.

dark_space_01.jpg

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Bamelin wrote: »

Yikes, never even heard of this one (probably because it's an MMO). Was it any good? It seems interesting, although I'm still not going to fork over 15 bucks a month to get a worse version of Freespace or Allegiance or something.

edit: fighting on a 2d plain (according to Wikipedia)? What? Laaaaame.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ArasenArasen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thanks SammyF

Again Allegiance people.

Arasen on
    [SIGPIC]steam_sig.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »

That's actually wrong.

WC2 had gameplay performance based branching. WC3 definitely had it too. You could chose different mission paths in WC4 with very different missions, and you could fail a few missions and alter the following missions. Prophecy and Secret Ops had a lot performance based branching.

Seriously, check www.wcnews.com, take a look at the mission guides.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

snip
    Woah, that brings back memories, darkspace was awesome

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    3) Anyone who hasn't at least tried Allegiance really needs to. And it's free, why not?

I still have it goddamn bookmarked

That's a pretty good starting place... guides on everything.

Khavall on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So as a left handed communist freak of nature, are there any good joystick options? Because the sexy sexy x52 is calling out for my disposable income. Any lefties have any experience playing "normally" ? Is there a left handed joystick/throttle option?

Robman on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Drake wrote: »
    I like naming my ships Culture style. I know I'm not alone, here.

Stuff like Diplomatic Immunity, The Biggest Stick, etc.

From a few pages back, but I do similar stuff. Not from the Culture novels, which I've never read, but when I get to name planets in anything, I think it's Larry Niven has ones like We Made It and whatever. As for ships, I take mine from Halo which is blatantly nixed from Culture.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Khavall wrote: »

I still have it goddamn bookmarked

That's a pretty good starting place... guides on everything.

As far as 2 goes, Starshatter has a demo and I've been having quite a bit of fun with it. Tooling around in a Fighter/Bomber right now, and damn are missiles a challenge to dodge. Landing can be a bit of a bitch but combat is fun.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    SammyF wrote: »

If you're looking for The Sims in Space, I'd suggest trying Space Colony. It's more Roger Wilco than James T. Kirk, so if you want a serious story it might not be for you, but it's still a surprising bit of fun.

I was skeptical when you mentioned it was actually close to the sims, which i'm not actually all that fond of, but the game you mentioned looks pretty sweet, thanks for the suggestion.

A quick review for anyone interested: http://www.armchairempire.com/Reviews/PC%20Games/space-colony.htm

Magitek on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I feel like this thread was made for me...also I'm buying that saitek joystick now

Darkstar one wasn't that great, the graphics were somewhat purdy but still, not much in terms of customization. It felt more like an arcade shooter to me.

I'm going to be looking at all those new games coming out now though

Dixon on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lefties, halp. Do I get the Saitek evo force, or the x52? Since they're going to be about the same price because shipping = raperaperape and no local brick and mortars carry the evo series any more in Ottawa.

I have previously used a right handed joystick (sidewinder force feedback pro) and it wasn't that bad.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Yikes, never even heard of this one (probably because it's an MMO). Was it any good? It seems interesting, although I'm still not going to fork over 15 bucks a month to get a worse version of Freespace or Allegiance or something.

edit: fighting on a 2d plain (according to Wikipedia)? What? Laaaaame.

It's not like Freespace or Allegiance -- I wouldn't actually go so far as to say it's a space simulator. The closest analogue I can think of is Starfleet Command.

It was A LOT of fun, and you could play for free if you were fine being restricted to the frigates.

I've never actually tried Allegiance. I'd heard about it, but I'd assumed no one was playing it anymore. I'll have to give it a try.

SammyF on
  • Options
    fdiskcdrivefdiskcdrive Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thanks to this thread I bought FreepSpace 2 from gog.com. I missed the game originally because it came during a short time in my life where I didn't have a PC to play it on. I was inspired to go ahead and get it after finding out the fan community has continued making quality updates for the game. Installing it is weird because you get different instructions depending on where you look. I settled on this guide to install everything:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=61606.0

The guide has some errors as some of the links point to bad url's but the url's are easy to fix. Little did I know I was getting FreeSpace 1 as well as the expansion with this. I'm now playing through FreeSpace 1 and am thoroughly impressed with the quality on these graphics packs, and how well this is all handled with 1920x1200 widescreen resolution. The game is simply beautiful and I am having the most fun for $5.99 gaming I've ever had.

I've ran into one snag though as I am trying to tank down the Tantalus on Clash of the Titans. Everytime I take it down the game freezes on me. It's happened 6 times at this point, and each time I try to toggle little options to see if I can guess as to what's causing it. No luck though. I think I'll need to cheat and skip the mission or play it in the original mode.. whatever's less of a pain in the ass I guess. After playing this I can't wait to get into FreeSpace 2.

fdiskcdrive on
    fdisksig1gi.gif
    mkds: 128-909-369-415
    tetris: 607-254-108-141
    metroid: 1460-9641-6245
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    THANK YOU! I was running my ass in circles trying to find an upgrade pack for the textures! I love these games since they work with the embedded video card on my motherboard.

Has anyone gotten past level 1 of Silent threat? Great writing but tough as hell.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If anyone else needs help installing the upgrades. You can use fdisks link above or follow the steps of this thread as well. It's relatively painless and well, well worth it.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I didn't notice this before but Naumachia has a new update out. It's all about their carrier ships. The Specialists was my favorite HL mod after Natural Selection: this game had better live up to it.

BullfrogHUD.jpg

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Goddamn does Naumachia look pretty as fuck.

Zxerol on
This discussion has been closed.