As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Human Sketchpad [tattoo thread]

MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Social Entropy++
So ... tattoos. Who's got 'em, who wants 'em?

Experiences, humorous stories, horrendous mistakes, post 'em all.

For myself, I'm bare ... as of now. Still wanting one, and a friend who has become quite the good amateur tattoo artist has offered to give me a pretty good deal on one. And though I was hesitant when he offered this a year 1/2 ago, he's improved greatly on his skill and attention to detail, in both art and business practice. And the offer still stands.

I was going to get a phoenix perched on a wooden slightly-gothic cross, but due to a recent change in personal thought, I'm not so sure about the cross, or even the phoenix now. So being the botany nerd, I'm trying to think of something plant related, but not feminine. Which perplexes me. Also thinking about something frog related, because frogs are just cool. And then there's the problem of where to get this that's 'standard' for guys to get a tattoo? The original spot was going to be on my calf, but my work would require me to wear jeans rather than shorts in the summer, outside, in the nursery, and that's not sounding so nice. So I'm thinking ... upper arms, shoulder blade, that'd be considered norm?

Okay, SE++, let's see some tats and hear some tales. Also, should I change this to NSF56K? Guess I'll see how image burdened this thing gets.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
MetroidZoid on

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    getting a cheap tattoo from a skilled amateur seems like a terrible idea

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    seizureorbsseizureorbs Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So ... tattoos. Who's got 'em, who wants 'em?

Experiences, humorous stories, horrendous mistakes, post 'em all.

For myself, I'm bare ... as of now. Still wanting one, and a friend who has become quite the good amateur tattoo artist has offered to give me a pretty good deal on one. And though I was hesitant when he offered this a year 1/2 ago, he's improved greatly on his skill and attention to detail, in both art and business practice. And the offer still stands.

I was going to get a phoenix perched on a wooden slightly-gothic cross, but due to a recent change in personal thought, I'm not so sure about the cross, or even the phoenix now. So being the botany nerd, I'm trying to think of something plant related, but not feminine. Which perplexes me. Also thinking about something frog related, because frogs are just cool. And then there's the problem of where to get this that's 'standard' for guys to get a tattoo? The original spot was going to be on my calf, but my work would require me to wear jeans rather than shorts in the summer, outside, in the nursery, and that's not sounding so nice. So I'm thinking ... upper arms, shoulder blade, that'd be considered norm?

Okay, SE++, let's see some tats and hear some tales. Also, should I change this to NSF56K? Guess I'll see how image burdened this thing gets.

get a tramp stamp

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    'Cheap' is only cheaper by comparison to what the only other two artists in my small town would charge for a tattoo of the size I had in mind.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    but again, you're talking about getting a tattoo from a non professional

if I'm going to get something indelibly printed on my body, I'm going to pay for quality

but suit yourself, there's no shortage of people with shitty tattoos!

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    im planning on getting my first tattoo before i leave for japan at the end of july

it's going to be a native american style phoenix, probably somewhere around my shoulder, partly for my dad who died in a pretty shitty way (sudden, but painless at least) and gave me my name, and partly for that entire side of my family, who all come from cherokee blood and are pretty into it

of course im about as native american as casper the friendly ghost, but im hoping itll look pretty nice regardless

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Shitty Tattoos!
    Now you can, too!
    Comes in 8 assorted flavours!

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I got a tattoo. Big old Marine Corps globe on my wrist, so if someone ever asks if I'm a Marine, I got "No, 'cause I'm not a faggot!" Then I laugh.

Best four-hundred dollars I ever spent.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I got a tattoo. Big old Marine Corps globe on my wrist, so if someone ever asks if I'm a Marine, I got "No, 'cause I'm not a faggot!" Then I laugh.

best tattoo story

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Admittedly junior high was rough.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My sister keeps bugging everybody in my family to get matching tattoos, which isn't a bad idea, but of course she has to come up with a design that everybody agrees and so basically it will never happen.

My wife and I plan to get tattoos on our 10 year anniversary, not 100% sure what we'll get yet but it will be something to do with the date we got together.

I also kind of like the idea of getting a tattoo for every decade I'm alive (since the 10 year anniversary will also be my 30th birthday), I haven't been able to think of anything that decently represents the first two decades of my life yet though.

Ten on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i want a tattoo but every time i think of something to get i find out its a horrible idea. like my last idea, i thought it would be nice to have a small polish eagle on my back, do some research... and no that will make me look like a neo nazi or like i am from the ghetto.

now somehow i want a dragon mixed with architecture. i have no idea how to draw that. So anyhow, i am tattoo free + full of horrible tattoo ideas

Barcardi on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i bought a rad sketchbook today

my sketches themselves, however, are sternly lacking

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ass antlers, that sounds better

Barcardi on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This is mine. Drew it myself and shit.
    tatxn1.jpg

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There's nothing I like enough to want to see it all the time. They make cameras for that.

And I'm Asian. Does that mean I have to get the word "COURAGE" somewhere on my body?

edit: In English, of course.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There's nothing I like enough to want to see it all the time. They make cameras for that.

And I'm Asian. Does that mean I have to get the word "COURAGE" somewhere on my body?

edit: In English, of course.

You should, in Olde English lettering across you chest.

I will give you a dollar.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I was reading an article on BME (I think) and they were talking about how there's a trend in China of people getting tattoos in Western languages because they look good. So, for the record, Asians are just as stupid as whites are.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    As cool as drawing your own tattoo is, flaming skulls are a little generic.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

yeah, but what you can't see too clearly from the picture is that the design forms a heart.

D'Awwwwwwwwww...

Tonkka on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited April 2009
    I have the worst tattoo and no one can argue with me on this because you would lose that argument

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Holy shit, HI THERE WHIPPY.

Tonkka on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    hey what's up buddy

Whippy on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is it Rank that used to have a tattoo of a swastika?

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I thought that explosion in your lab killed you. Huh. Guess I was wrong.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    My damn compy works again, when is the next karaoke night?:winky:

Tonkka on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I thought that explosion in your lab killed you. Huh. Guess I was wrong.

nope, just super speed

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So, what's the tattoo of, Whippy?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Who has the dickbutt tattoo?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tonkka wrote: »

yeah, but what you can't see too clearly from the picture is that the design forms a heart.

D'Awwwwwwwwww...

I saw that, but it's still kind of lame!

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Who has the dickbutt tattoo?

yo

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I thought that was Rank for some reason. I feel that I've been lied to.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    my mom has a tattoo on her wrist that looks like this

and yes I said
    yes I will
    yes

(from ulysses if you don't recognize it)

edit: that didn't work out as well once posted, the words are arranged in an upside-down pyramid

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    my mom has a tattoo on her wrist that looks like this
    and yes I said
      yes I will
          yes

(from ulysses if you don't recognize it)

edit: that didn't work out as well once posted, the words are arranged in an upside-down pyramid

Gotta use code tags to keep spacing and shit like that.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    thank you, I had forgotten how to do that

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Please tell me you are kidding.

You got a Marine tattoo, because you think Marines are faggots.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Jigrah wrote: »

Yes, of course I'm serious.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Jigrah wrote: »

Yes, of course I'm serious.

No you're not, you are not that dumb!

Jigrah on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Don't tell me how dumb I am! You don't know me!

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Don't tell me how dumb I am! You don't know me!

Am I simply in denial? Has love really blinded me?

Jigrah on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Is that Queen?

Penguin Incarnate on