As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red Steel 2 = New media points to Samurai/Cowboy/Futuristic/Possible Steampunk mashup

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I know it's not going to be as pretty as that in-game, but if it can look like that and actually do what it says it does (with the Wii M+ and all that) then I'll pick it up.

But... I should really just wait for some reviews. I'm optimistic, but after the first Red Steel I need to be cautiously optimistic.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    We have some excellent evidence that Wii games can look fantastic. If you've seen Muramasa, you know what I'm talking about. It's stylized, but it's beautiful. I don't see why that couldn't translate into 3d, so it's certainly possible for Red Steel 2 to look great, even limited by the Wii's hardware.

At this point, we know so little it's all just rampant speculation.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    Pancake wrote: »
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Gameplay footage or GTFO, seriously. I'm sick of bullshot commercials.

What, you don't like it when the camera cuts away from the game every time he makes a sword swing?

Not every time... in fact I was really amazed that the game picked up his flourishes. It was fucking great.

And the graphics... if they look like that then holy SHIT! How is that a Wii game?!

They, well, probably won't look like that.

Remember when Red Steel was supposed to look like this?

290r1mx.jpg

Yes, everyone needs to be reminded of this.

That doesn't appear to be outside the realm of what the Wii can pull off.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I am one of the few that loved the first one. I never got the control complaints, I thought they were great (but I never had the I/R bug people saw ... didn't it have something to do with having two Wiimotes on at the same time?) ... not KB/M, but so much better for me than dual analog (don't have the precision in my thumbs for dual analog, so console shooters are usually exercises in frustration). The atmosphere was intentionally cheesy / over-the-top mock yakuza film and worked really well for me.

It definitely needed more time in the oven, but was very enjoyable for a launch game, and very memorable (in a good way) for me. I usually end up contrasting it with Gears of War, which I played through at the same time. GoW is, no question, a technically better game. But for me, RS was much more memorable and ultimately more fun. I don't regret paying full price for RS, while I wish I would have waited for the budget release of GoW :)

I do realize I am an exception here, and can see why people didn't like the first one (though it is not the terrible game some peeps make it out to be). But then RS is also the game that made me realize sites like metacritic are no good for helping me figure out what I enjoy ;)

UreshiiAkuma on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

What, you don't like it when the camera cuts away from the game every time he makes a sword swing?

Not every time... in fact I was really amazed that the game picked up his flourishes. It was fucking great.

And the graphics... if they look like that then holy SHIT! How is that a Wii game?!

IG]

That does appear to be outside the realm of what Red Steel pulled off, which is all that matters for that discussion.
    It definitely needed more time in the oven, but was very enjoyable for a launch game, and very memorable (in a good way) for me. I usually end up contrasting it with Gears of War, which I played through at the same time. GoW is, no question, a technically better game. But for me, RS was much more memorable and ultimately more fun. I don't regret paying full price for RS, while I wish I would have waited for the budget release of GoW

I do realize I am an exception here, and can see why people didn't like the first one (though it is not the terrible game some peeps make it out to be). But then RS is also the game that made me realize sites like metacritic are no good for helping me figure out what I enjoy ;)

Is it because it allowed you to finally live out all your most secret desires?

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Is it because it allowed you to finally live out all your most secret desires?
    o_O
    I am not even sure what that is supposed to mean.

I thought I explained it in my post - I found it to be a fun (if flawed) game with a over-the-top cheesy plot/atmosphere (which is part of the fun).

UreshiiAkuma on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Don't worry about it, Pancake being a little cunt is par for the course.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I was just confused, as there is no way a game lacking unicorns could fulfill any of my most secret desires.

So here is hoping for unicorns in Red Steel 2 :winky:

UreshiiAkuma on
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

290r1mx.jpg

Even the end product looked pretty decent. The only thing that really took me out of the action was the awkward shifts to swordplay and the canned disarming animation. Everything else had pretty solid graphics and art direction I thought.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Everyone who is defending Red Steel needs to play it again

Because it was awful

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yes, the point is "play" it again.

It looked nice.

It played like a kid with downs syndrome trying to build a jenga tower.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Zampano wrote: »
    Yes, the point is "play" it again.

It looked nice.

It played like a kid with downs syndrome trying to build a jenga tower.

It didn't even look that nice, honestly

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    it wasn't that awful

Guek on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Guek wrote: »
    it wasn't that awful

Yeah, but you don't get internet points if you don't exaggerate.

It was a 3 star game with the potential to be a 4 or 5 star game (it definitely had some of the elements there). Unfortunately it didn't live up to that. So now everyone must act like it was a 1 or 2 star game or they lose credibility on the interwebs.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    it wasn't that awful

It was a 3 star game with the potential to be a 4 or 5 star game (it definitely had some of the elements there). Unfortunately it didn't live up to that. So now everyone must act like it was a 1 or 2 star game or they lose credibility on the interwebs.
    That's why this should be cool if they just improve on the first one. Should be a fun game.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So, my curiosity was piqued by the idea that maybe I was playing through rose-tinted glasses. Perhaps just the newness of the Wii and input method made me more fond of the game than I would have been otherwise. So, I decided to pop it in and play through the first level and see what I think ... here is what I found.

Worse than I remember:
    Controls ... or really, the bounding box for camera movement. The actually accuracy of aiming at someone in your field of view is great, allowing me to headshot the first half dozen enemies (something I just couldn't do with dual analog). However, whenever turning around or looking up/down, you have to aim too far to the left/right/top/bottom to move the camera. Any other Wii shooter I've played has handled this much better - I imagine since this was the first Wii shooter I played, I didn't notice how much of a pain this was.

Better than I remember:
    The looks ... get past the fact that it is an SD game, and the environments are actually rather interesting and varied. The architecture / decoration / scenery etc. in the level was certainly not plain, boring, or drab (it does have the unfortunate boring warehouse type levels too, though).

Same as I remember
    Plot/voice acting - pure B-movie cheese. I find such a dish to be tasty, but understand some people may be lactose intolerant. Er, ok, pretty sad metaphor :P

AI - very simple (or non-existent) ... pretty much moves into position and starts shooting. Coupled with the controls, it made me realize something - Red Steel plays more like a light-gun game. It works best when you find cover to duck behind, pop up to shoot enemies until the area is cleared, and then move on. It was quite fun, playing it like this ... some environments like the shootout in the kitchen are great.

What I'd forgotten
    The soundtrack is fantastic. Hopefully RS2 has the same composer.

tl;dr
    I still find Red Steel a fun, if flawed, game that looks nice and has great background music. Hopefully the second one bakes in the oven until it is fully done :)

UreshiiAkuma on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Eh, I don't personally feel as if it was a 3 star game. It wasn't good, but that could be forgiven if it wasn't also buggy. The controls were spotty. Sometimes they worked for me and sometimes they worked against me, but aiming (the hold down a button and move your Wiimote towards the TV) was always horrible to me. Some areas looked good, some areas looked like they were completed in a day. The game's inconsistency on top of some serious bugs is what dumps it into the 2 star range for me.

I always thought the dojo in the park area looked really good. I still do. As UreshiiAkuma said, the "bounding box for camera movement" (thank you for the term I was looking for UreshiiAkuma) was handled very poorly. The story and AI didn't really bother me too much.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    it wasn't that awful

I agree totally.

If you only played the first level I don't think you even got grenades, that alone made a big improvement in gameplay. Same with the sniper rifle and the gun collection you amasse later. The funhouse was a really awesome level too. And I liked the "stop time, shoot enemies" mechanic.

Mostly it was lacking in the swordplay (pretty terrible) and the cutscenes/story. I guess the actual level design and gunplay is take it or leave it for most people.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The bounding box was too large but if you meddled with all of the advanced control options you could mitigate some of the issues with the controls (such as sensitivity and you could disable that stupid effing lock-on bit).

Hopefully RS2 will just rip off of COD3/CODWaW, Prime, or MOHH2.

slash000 on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

290r1mx.jpg

That's pretty much exactly what the game looks like. Screen caps can look VERY different than video.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    For as much as they were touting the Wiimotion+ I think it's funny that in the trailer it showed the guy shooting the wiimote sideways but the gun on screen was being held vertically.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ubi's released screens for Red Steel were at some crazy non-SD resolution up in the thousands that clearly Wii cannot do. They also were anti-aliased. But if you can pretend that picture had jaggies then yes, it's fairly close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgZzAK1dw04&feature=PlayList&p=2C6B4C9114D5A4D5&index=15

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    That's pretty much exactly what the game looks like. Screen caps can look VERY different than video.
    There's not enough humor on this forum. Good show.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I borrowed RS from my friend at launch and had a somewhat fun time with it. Graphically it looked great in parts, and awful in others. The sword fighting was mostly terrible though, so if they fix that they'll be on there way to making a great game.

It appears that they fixed that elastic wrist that looks incredibly stupid.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

It's called a "weird 'ol noodle arm" in more learned circles.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009

It's called a "weird 'ol noodle arm" in more learned circles.

A lot of people don't know this but moving your arm around like that is actually how the pros go on assassination missions.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, every Red Steel video on youtube I can't help but feel like the people playing are "doing it wrong". I would burst into a room, shoot a couple people in the legs to build up my focus meter and then disarm every single person. I felt like god.

Also anyone that has trouble with slow turning, there's a trick: Move backward and strafe in the opposite direction of how you are turning. This causes your turns to be sharper.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Goomba wrote: »
    There's not enough humor on this forum. Good show.

OK so by pretty much I mean it's missing the jaggies. That's all.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

Art style looks really nice, and the controls seem well intended. I believe the term for this would be "bad ass."

Saddler on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Saddler wrote: »
    Art style looks really nice, and the controls seem well intended. I believe the term for this would be "bad ass."
    You do know that the guy isn't really playing it, right?

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

That's why I said well intended ;) We'll see how the controls really turn out. And Motion Plus is still a big question mark in my eyes, until I actually sit down with Wii Sports Resort or whatever, and see how it feels.

Saddler on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

You know you're a real dumbass, right?

skepticism is all fine and well but there's nothing wrong with finding this trailer the least bit interesting.

Guek on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    The amount of denial in the last page is really weird.

Yes, you guys, it could be pre-rendered. It's very possible.

While the polycounts aren't amazingly high in that commercial, but the textures look too crisp and the lighting looks a bit too complex for it to actually be on the Wii. It's not unheard of to make pre-rendered videos using mostly in-game assets that look better than what the actual console can produce for use in marketing.

It's also not unheard of to take screenshots of your game before you make it look worse to accomodate the hardware.

i very well recognize that it could be prerendered...it just seems odd that ubisoft would go to such extreme lengths to fool the public.
    ...what, fool them into buying the game? Yeah, I don't see why they'd want to do that.

This game looks cool but I'm reserving any judgements for gameplay footage.
    It's not unusual for a publisher to start their marketing campaign off with target or proof-of-concept media that was originally created for internal use, and generally looks better than whatever ships. Occasionally, it's not even done with devious intentions. It just happens to be easily available when it takes time to capture new media from a game that's halfway through development and changing daily.

If I'm not mistaken, the HL2 retail box has a screen on the back from a scene that was cut from the game years before it shipped (the hydra bit).

Monger on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    http://gonintendo.com/?p=81226

- some aspect of leveling up your character
    - gun and sword combos
    - “RS2 is tightly focused on intensely physical first person sword fighting, with gunplay a secondary option”
    - hold Z to lock onto enemy
    - hold down C and swing to block, vertical and horizontal blocks
    - switch lock-on at any time
    - screen prompts you if you’re being attacked from behind. Press A to quick-turn in this situation
    - many enemies wear bulletproof armor
    - not open world
    - not a linear game, multiple paths to take
    - several hub-worlds
    - side quests
    - collectibles
    - return to old areas with new powers and abilities
    -”non-combat use of MotionPlus wont be limited to opening doors”
    - boss fights
    - production began last summer
    - Ubisoft discussing the lack of multiplayer: “We would love to create a multiplayer engine, but not right now. It’s single player because we want to really focus on the core mechanic and as much as we all want to kill each other with swords, it’s not going to happen this time.
    - Ubisoft on releasing a multiplayer mode through DLC: “That would be cool. The world has changed, and we can do that sort of thing. I certainly think that would be cool. I’d buy it. But we need to be careful bringing out something that people think should be in the main game.”

http://gonintendo.com/?p=81948
    - correct angle and force of a swing are important
    - you can enter an options menu that allows you to change the force necessary to perform powerful swings
    - flick Wiimote to pull out sword
    - quick on-the-fly weapon switching, no inventory
    - quick-time event for enemy parry, when the situation comes up
    - once you fire a shot, enemies will charge you
    - yellow indicator is always present on screen
    - there are different weapons, such as a shotgun
    - seems that weapons will be upgradeable somehow
    - block bullets with your sword
    - if you start the game without the MotionPlus accessory, the screen will stay black and the game won’t progress
    - Setting: eastern influences mixed with wild-west america set in the near-future
    - other areas in the game will also show Asian influence
    - art direct flew to Japan and took about 6,000 pics in order to get a good feel for the design approach
    - main character is the only one able to accomplish the task of saving the world
    - a warlord is the main villain
    - more that 15 different enemy types
    - no one from the first game returns
    - some enemies will have heavier armor and bulletproof vests
    - at least 5 bosses
    - story development came last, gameplay was first
    - 30% linear, 70% free-roaming within massive levels
    - 70% huge free-roaming levels in which you receive new missions via radio
    - choose the missions you want
    - destroy barriers with Katana moves you learn later
    - 6 enemies maximum at once
    - as of right now, the game has 10+ hours of content

Couscous on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lots of yay on that list.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sounds promising to me. I'm sure someone else will come in and say how terrible all that sounds, too.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sounds terrible to me. I'm sure someone else will come in and say how promising all that sounds, too.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Kaseius wrote: »
    Sounds terrible to me. I'm sure someone else will come in and say how promising all that sounds, too.

at least have to courtesy to lay out exactly what it is that doesn't sound promising to you. i assure you that everyone here is waiting with bated breath to find out.

Guek on
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

at least have to courtesy to lay out exactly what it is that doesn't sound promising to you. i assure you that everyone here is waiting with bated breath to find out.

Well, I was just getting out of the way for him. I think it sounds pretty cool, like the sort of thing a lot of people were expecting from the start.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Well, I was just getting out of the way for him. I think it sounds pretty cool, like the sort of thing a lot of people were expecting from the start.

now you've made me look like an asshole....asshole!

I'm pretty skeptical myself of whether or not this game will amount to anything worth playing, but all the negativity in the past few pages has been incredibly annoying, especially when people have commented just to try to deflate whatever interest other people might have.

Guek on