As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Republicans: Making a Comeback?

1505152535456»

• Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    Dsmart wrote: »
    There aren't any areas where people regulary die to assault weapons obs. More people are killed by shark attacks and potato peelers. Its not about maturity.

If you are going to make the argument, at least make the right one

My argument is still just as valid.

You are suggesting that no one but hick townies know how to handle weapons. The issue is poverty and crime levels. Criminals use guns.

It is fair to say that the gun control needs of a large metropolis are different from rural arkansas, however.

Wait a minute dude, I never said the former statement, not the way you phrased it at least.

Your latter statement is more in line with what I'm getting at. Don't know what you're trying to get at here.

I believe the issue is you framing it as a matter of "maturity", which it isn't.

Why not?

Obs on
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    I myself am a HUGE gun owner and staunch democrat. I kind of saw the way the wind was blowing with this one unfortunately. You can't let a fringe issue dominate your vote.

Good words that I agree with but a lot of people's votes are influenced by the fringe issues. Politics is like Comcast, it's not à la carte.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    wwtMask it's Emanon what do you expect
    remember when he tried to come in here and actually compare Bush to Batman
    with such hilarious phrases as "he was the President America needed, not the President America wanted"

Rent on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Rent wrote: »
    with such hilarious phrases as "he was the President America needed, not the President America wanted"

He's right though, Kerry would have been woefully inadequate and it would have been a clusterfuck to switch Presidents in the middle of a war, and I doubt Al Gore would have fared much better considering 9/11 and all that.

Obs on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

He's right though, Kerry would have been woefully inadequate and it would have been a clusterfuck to switch Presidents in the middle of a war, and I doubt Al Gore would have fared much better considering 9/11 and all that.

Why would 9/11 have made Gore a worse president than Bush?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Nothing in Gore's Vice Presidency gave anyone confidence that he would handle 9/11 effectively.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Obs seriously on my list of people I think are absolutely terrible posters you're still above Emanon because at least you recognize that Bush was a terrible president

Don't ruin my dreams, man

Rent on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Obs seriously on my list of people I think are absolutely terrible posters you're still above Emanon because at least you recognize that Bush was a terrible president

Don't ruin my dreams, man

Maybe instead of telling me about your list you could elaborate on why you think my statement is wrong?

Obs on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Nothing in Gore's Vice Presidency gave anyone confidence that he would handle 9/11 effectively.

And Bush handled it within the realms of competency? At least we wouldn't have half the shit we we've had to deal with.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Maybe instead of telling me about your list you could elaborate on why you think my statement is wrong?

Because the whole "Well Kerry/Gore would have been worse" is fucking retarded, because
    1) None of us can predict hypotheticals to that extent
    2) I don't give a shit how much worse one person who's not president would've been against another's actual Presidency
    3) Just because someone would've been worse doesn't make you less terrible
    4) No one as President would've reacted differently to 9-11. We could've had Johnny the Uber Peacenik as President and he would've been out for blood as well

Rent on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

1. Gore wouldn't have been an idiot and wouldn't have ignored the multiple warnings that bin Laden wanted to attack the US.
    2. Being VP to Clinton is a pretty solid recommendation for terrorism-handling.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Puhleeez. Tree hugger vs terrorism? Yeah, do we really expect Al Gore to kick Al Queda's ass?

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't think Kerry would have been a good president - but I'm not sure how you could make the argument he would have been worse.

Speaker on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Emanon wrote: »

Puhleeez. Tree hugger vs terrorism? Yeah, do we really expect Al Gore to kick Al Queda's ass?

Has Bush kicked Al Queda's ass? I thought Bin Laden was still at large. Also, Al Queda is still something of a problem. Also, Gore gave a damn about his country and the law.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Speaker wrote: »
    I don't think Kerry would have been a good president - but I'm not sure how you could make the argument he would have been worse.

A majority who voted thought so. Lastly, a vote against Bush isn't what I call confidence in your candidate.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Al Gore didn't win because his name sounded too close to Al Queda.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Has Bush kicked Al Queda's ass? I thought Bin Laden was still at large. Also, Al Queda is still something of a problem. Also, Gore gave a damn about his country and the law.

So far no new attacks on US soil since 9/11 so yes, he did and them some that even Libya changed its ways.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

So far no new attacks on US soil since 9/11 so yes, he did and them some that even Libya changed its ways.

How many such attacks were there before 9/11?

Starcross on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

To be fair, what exactly do you think an America in which Al Qaeda's ass is kicked would look like?

How about no more attacks or real threats since 9/11 maybe?

Obs on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I don't know

If only there was a plumber I could ask to solve this riddle

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

To be fair, what exactly do you think an America in which Al Qaeda's ass is kicked would look like?

How about no more attacks or real threats since 9/11 maybe?
    I would say Al Queda not existing anymore

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Al Gore didn't win because his name sounded too close to Al Queda.

I'm pretty sure this is you joking, but frankly it's almost indistinguishable from your serious posts.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Starcross wrote: »

World Trade Center bombing under Clinton's watch. US Embassy bombings in 98. Etc..

His failure to properly stop Bin Laden or put any heat on terrorist groups would lead to 9/11 almost a decade later.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So far no new attacks on US soil since 9/11 so yes, he did

So if we get to the end of Obama's first term and there have been no terror attacks on U.S. soil, you will vote for him because his defense policy has been effective.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Speaker wrote: »
    So far no new attacks on US soil since 9/11 so yes, he did

So if we get to the end of Obama's first term and there have been no terror attacks on U.S. soil, you will vote for him because his defense policy has been effective.

Tiger Rock!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    His failure to properly stop Bin Laden or put any heat on terrorist groups would lead to 9/11 almost a decade later.

I seem to recall a Republican Party that vociferously opposed any foreign adventures that would have ended like Somalia and that absolutely freaked out when the government introduced comparatively weak anti-terrorist measures after the Oklahoma City Bombing.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

World Trade Center bombing under Clinton's watch. US Embassy bombings in 98. Etc..

That woud be because certain segments of the government that were in control of the legislative bitched about worldbuilding and whatnot.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

He did fire some cruise missiles into Afghanistan but it did help Clinton avoid some of the crap regarding Monica. Wag The Dog anybody?

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2009
    What's the topic? Oh, right.

And now for one of my favorite comics.

20050221h.jpg

Tycho wrote:
    What's this? Oh no! I'd be happy to leave it like this, of course - but it does actually go somewhere. The title of the strip might give you a clue as to where exactly that might be. I think Gabriel drawed this one purty-like.

Much as I suggested, the demise (supernova? kill me) of Suprnova meant nothing or less than nothing in the grand scheme of copyright infringement. I'm not saying that makes me some kind of prophet, this was more like "guessing" the contents of a transparent, labeled container. I can't perceive supernatural phenomena, but I'm somehow able to see completely obvious things, which I wasn't aware was a skill in short supply until these companies began trying to nail jello to the wall.

Gabriel and I deviate somewhat on topic like this. When I say "somewhat," I want you to imagine that I am waving to him across a vast, impassable chasm. This is because digital liberties are simply a codeword for Hippie Bullshit as far as he is concerned. Just as far away from me, on the other side, with his own chasm, would be somebody like Cory Doctorow. Brilliant author and Boing Boing contributor, I am not reading too much in to his writing to say that he believes there to be something inherently noble and proud about people transferring media and using technology unfettered. Impediments to that enterprise therefore take the role of the villain in his construction, and evil abounds - behold, even now these vile forces encroach on your coffee machine. This does not describe the way I feel about these issues. I want tons and tons of free shit and I don't want to pay for it. Then I invariably feel bad and buy it, the ill-gotten media still resident on the platter.

There are some types of media that are exempt from this, and I'm not sure how I got so choosy with my law breakin'. The campaign against music piracy was surprisingly effective on me, even as I railed against it in the post. Games, can't get those. I destroyed an Xbox trying to mod it, which I perceived as a divine communique. If I download a game for the PC it's because I can't get the fucking thing to work on account of the copy protection. I don't think I'm going to hell for that, and not just because there isn't one.

That leaves television programs, which I don't feel any guilt over because I hit them back when a series is released on DVD. I wonder how many of the people who download stuff see it like this - the "take a penny, leave a penny" philosophy. I'm not trying to break copyright over my knee and howl as I suck out the juice. I'm just ready to live in the real world where the idea of media scarcity is incoherent and consumers handle the distribution.

(CW)TB out.

wearing buckets of cheap cologne

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.