As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Obsolete Fallout thread - go to the new one!

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Also, keep in mind that pursuing the "good" option with the Family is the only way you can follow the Bethesda tradition and
    become a "vampire."

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    never die wrote: »
    Man, say what you want about the "Those!" quest, but it was one of the most tense quests for me in the game.
    Just traversing through those dank, dark subway tunnels and passes, in tight corners full of fire-breathing ants, never knowing exactly where one was put me on edge. I was running low on ammo (I think I left with half a clip of CAR ammo and some 10mm ammo), knocking junk around which made me jump, everything just made me so nervous. I actually jumped when I opened a door and that crazy doctor was standing there.

Oh my GOD I did the exact same thing. I was in sneak mode, slowly approaching the door... about to open it, and...
    "OH HEY HOW ARE YOU"

I twitched SO hard and hit the trigger button, shooting the guy. He just said "Hey cut that out", scared the hell out of me!

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I use one of the Nuka Cola machines outside the Super Duper Mart as my personal locker. There's a bed inside so its a great place to use as a base of operations. I'm planning on blowing up Megaton, but not until I've finished Moira's book, so it will be a long while before I have my Tenpenny suite. And for now the Super Duper Mart serves me just fine.

Oh, and way back when I did the quest there, I activated the robot in the storage room, so now I have my own personal home security guard :)

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For the guy who's wondering, in my experience it seems as though stuff you leave on the ground will stay there for the duration, unless the landscape changes. I tested out a couple of places because I was curious myself. Nuking Megaton deletes any items in the immediate area around the outside of the town, and finishing the main quest and starting Broken Steel deletes anything around the Jefferson Memorial and, for some reason, everything on the Rivet City bridge. Following on from this, I just tried a couple of random indoor and town areas, and Agatha appears to pilfer everything you drop on the floor in her house. In my mind it seems pretty logical that if you dropped some stuff in an area changed by a DLC and then installed said DLC, that would disappear too, but that's too tiresome to test.

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    TheBoginatorTheBoginator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    So after that I decided to do the Minefield thing for that woman's book. I stumbled onto the school, and spent TWO HOURS exploring it. Then shut the game off for the night. I am LOVING that a trek across this world is actually taking me MULTIPLE days in REAL LIFE.

That isn't just some woman. That is Moira you're talking about, you cretin.

TheBoginator on
    TheBoginator.gif
    Robman wrote: »
    No you don't. It's mass effect brah, just grab your controller in one hand and your dick with the other and go to town
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2009
    It's a fictional character. Grow up.

Tube on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Moira is the 2nd best NPC. Behind Three Dog of course.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i need to finish that wasteland survival guide thing

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Fuck Three Dog. He's the one character I really can't stand.

Tube on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    never die wrote: »
    Man, say what you want about the "Those!" quest, but it was one of the most tense quests for me in the game.
    Just traversing through those dank, dark subway tunnels and passes, in tight corners full of fire-breathing ants, never knowing exactly where one was put me on edge. I was running low on ammo (I think I left with half a clip of CAR ammo and some 10mm ammo), knocking junk around which made me jump, everything just made me so nervous. I actually jumped when I opened a door and that crazy doctor was standing there.

Oh my GOD I did the exact same thing. I was in sneak mode, slowly approaching the door... about to open it, and...
    "OH HEY HOW ARE YOU"

I twitched SO hard and hit the trigger button, shooting the guy. He just said "Hey cut that out", scared the hell out of me!
    I also find the doctor be a horribly delusional douche. Own up to your actions darn it!

never die on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

He's the only one that keeps me sane. Hearing him on the radio makes me feel less alone and that I have more of a purpose.

Sure, his attitude and ways may not be agreeable in person, but on the radio it's all good to me.

I'd love a Rush Limbaugh-esque radio station, purely talk, denouncing and pointing out the flaws and lies in the govt/enclave. I think that'd be a humorous idea, but also give another "Be thou for the people" feel to the radio.

Definetly enjoying the +songs mod. Lot of era-appropriate additions, adds a ton more variety.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    WhEEeelll....

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    It is really hard to get over the fact that, even though it's a post-apocalyptic wasteland, you shouldn't take everything you can find

Early on, when you're scrounging around in ruined houses for food and supplies, it's hard to not take everything that's not nailed down

Yeah, I went through exactly the same thing. The world's a goddamn wasteland... who knows what could help me out? But once I started stashing everything useful in my locker in Megaton, things got a hell of a lot easier.

Speaking of newbie experiences, I thought I'd share mine.

"Schematic for a Nuka-Grenade, made from... cola, detergent and turpentine? Great, sounds like it'll just be the equivalent of a frag grenade, and I've already got a ton of those weighing me down. Guess I'll just toss it at that pack of raiders just to get rid of this piece of cra--
    (picks self up ground) Did that guy's head just sail a quarter of a mile away?"

I snuck a nuka-grenade into someone's pocket in the middle of a bunch of cars. Screen went white for a good minute. Killed me straight out.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, why are regular grenades so weak compared to grenades mmade form bottlecaps and soda?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    StygianSmileyFaceStygianSmileyFace Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nuka-Cola is umm.. "Special"

It glows.

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Now I'm afraid to plant the bottlecap mine, well, anywhere.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Quick question. I'm doing a good karma playthrough, and I've heard from several NPCs now how Paradise Falls is full of slavers. Now, I've found their city. I'm assuming blowing everyone away wouldn't be frowned on. So, would there be any negative consequences to kicking in the doors and going at it Rambo-style? Is there anyone I shouldn't mow down (besides slaves, obviously)?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    the biggest assholes in that city are the slave children, I would download a mod and kill them and only them were I you.

override367 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    well, if you don't do it, you're much less awesome, cloud.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You get good karma for killing people there.

No, seriously.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

well there's some mods to make him white if you really can't take it

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

No, seriously.

Rambo it is, then.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, why are regular grenades so weak compared to grenades mmade form bottlecaps and soda?

When you think about it, the Nuka Grenade is basically a nuclear hand grenade. As for the Bottecap Mine, I can only assume it's the Vault-Tec Lunchbox that does it; dodgy manufacturing standards means it shatters into millions of razor sharp pieces when it suffers sudden physical trauma*.

Seriously though I've got no idea.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

No, seriously.

Rambo it is, then.

You even get a shoutout on GNR for it.

More fun to destroy it from the inside out, though, if you can talk your way in ;)

Antithesis on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    so uh, when's a good time to visit underworld? I'm level 12 and I have stayed away from the Capital Wasteland entirely

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    whenever

Tube on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There is no set time to do it, you can go there as the story leads you or just go there for kicks randomly, it's up to you when it's said and done.

I always liked the result of buying Charon's contract.

After playing Fallout 3 if I had any single complaint it would be that the radio stations are really half assed at best, it's too bad really as it could have really added to the game. Thankfully the mods for extra songs help some.

Cade on
  • Options
    HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I use one of the Nuka Cola machines outside the Super Duper Mart as my personal locker. There's a bed inside so its a great place to use as a base of operations. I'm planning on blowing up Megaton, but not until I've finished Moira's book, so it will be a long while before I have my Tenpenny suite. And for now the Super Duper Mart serves me just fine.

Oh, and way back when I did the quest there, I activated the robot in the storage room, so now I have my own personal home security guard :)

That was my first home as well. I hacked the Protectron just in case the raiders came back, as I wasn't sure then whether or not they might kill me while I slept, and kept my crap stashed in the Nuka Cola machine just inside. It wasn't until I was about 2/3 through the game that I actually got my Megaton house, wish I'd done it earlier just for the lab I installed. Free detox is a must for junkies like me.

HyphyKezzy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Cade wrote: »
    There is no set time to do it, you can go there as the story leads you or just go there for kicks randomly, it's up to you when it's said and done.

After playing Fallout 3 if I had any single complaint it would be that the radio stations are really half assed at best, it's too bad really as it could have really added to the game. Thankfully the mods for extra songs help some.

The story doesn't actually ever lead you there. I assumed the story would take me pretty much everywhere and was dissapointed when it suddenly ended and I was left screaming at the screen "THAT'S IT?! YOU'RE FUCKING KIDDING ME!"

Tube on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really wish "The Power of the Atom" was a much harder quest to complete, because damn if it isn't just too convenient to have a boatload of XP, Karma, caps and a house like ten seconds into the wasteland.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Straight out of the vault in Fallout without powergaming, you can have a pistol and a stick. Straight out of the vault in Fallout 3 you can have a robot butler

Tube on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cade wrote: »

The story doesn't actually ever lead you there. I assumed the story would take me pretty much everywhere and was dissapointed when it suddenly ended and I was left screaming at the screen "THAT'S IT?! YOU'RE FUCKING KIDDING ME!"
    Oh and you're dead.
    Thanks for playing.

Grrr.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    spoilers dude

Tube on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Im at work and cant look it up in the manual, and fear other Fallout sites for spoilers - but what's radiation actually do? I just did the Moira quest for radiation study, and just walked to the center of Megaton and stood there for a couple hours (listening to prechy mcpreacher) until I was up to 600, and then she cured me and I had recieved the perk of regenerating limbs or something.

I was confused though, because as my radiation poisoning got worse, my HP never moved in the slightest. I even went to bed, because it ended in the middle of the night and Moira wasn't awake, and woke up, and still - as far as any sort of HUD goes - was totally fine dispite having insanely dangerous levels of radiation poisoning.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Leave stuff on the floor if you're going to leave it anywhere. I left stuff outside the vault that stayed there for the whole game. NEVER leave stuff in random containers.

Regarding lugging crap around:

On my second play-through I cleared through the raider bridge near vault 101 and was quickly annoyed that I had maxed out my weight.

My quick fix for this was to throw all of my gear in a dead raiders body, and then simply pick him up (click in right stick), turning him into a portable container that can hold an infinite amount of stuff. I was a little surprised that it worked, to be totally honest.

Anyway, thought it was a decent trick that I'd pass along. It can be done with just about any carcass or container in the game that can be picked up. The lighter the container, the better. I'd imagine bloat flies would work pretty well for this.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Im at work and cant look it up in the manual, and fear other Fallout sites for spoilers - but what's radiation actually do? I just did the Moira quest for radiation study, and just walked to the center of Megaton and stood there for a couple hours (listening to prechy mcpreacher) until I was up to 600, and then she cured me and I had recieved the perk of regenerating limbs or something.

I was confused though, because as my radiation poisoning got worse, my HP never moved in the slightest. I even went to bed, because it ended in the middle of the night and Moira wasn't awake, and woke up, and still - as far as any sort of HUD goes - was totally fine dispite having insanely dangerous levels of radiation poisoning.

It reduces your stats by a truly pitiful amount, and if it gets to 1000 you die instantly. To get to 1000, you've got to go out of your way to acquire radiation, like slurping from a toilet for ten minutes.

Have a guess what most balance mods make far more lethal.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

It burns your stats increasingly hard. Unlike the originals, it will no longer eventually kill you unless you stay in the radiated area itself. Addiction and radiation are two things I'm not fond of in this game, they have no real consequences.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

It burns your stats increasingly hard. Unlike the originals, it will no longer eventually kill you unless you stay in the radiated area itself. Addiction and radiation are two things I'm not fond of in this game, they have no real consequences.

The addiction effects in Fallout 1 and 2 were so frightening that I never actually took any drugs. Really, most of the time the withdrawal effects would kill you if you didn't have preposterously high endurance, and even then it was touch and go.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

It reduces your stats by a truly pitiful amount, and if it gets to 1000 you die instantly. To get to 1000, you've got to go out of your way to acquire radiation, like slurping from a toilet for ten minutes.

Or going to that one Vault that was like ground zero for (it seemed like with all the radiation there) five nukes.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Or going to that one Vault that was like ground zero for (it seemed like with all the radiation there) five nukes.

Put it to you this way. For the sake of being complete, I wanted to get the map marker for that Vault. I walked in with about 200 Radaway.

I walked out with about 15. D:

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png