As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Obsolete Fallout thread - go to the new one!

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Those Perks are almost entirely just cheats and console commands.

That is lame as hell.

Pony on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Borys wrote: »
    Bu-bu-bu-bu PUPPIES! Perk!

It's RPG at its best!

Nothing says mature, post-apocalyptic RPG like the Puppies! Perk!

PUPPIES!

Antithesis on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    Those Perks are almost entirely just cheats and console commands.

That is lame as hell.
    Thats why you just get things like the ultimate perk pack and call it a day.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, any thoughts on the new armor and weapons?

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I just finished The Shitt. Crappy expansion is crappy, a little better than Anchorage. Steel Ingot fetch questing is not my kind of thing. I'm not a fucking dog.

God I hope they at least do SOMETHING to move the main story forward, even a bit in Broken Steel.

The one thing I'm glad about Broken Steel is that;
    Liberty Prime dies, so I guess that's something

BlackDove on
  • Options
    Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So i have a question and i need your guys to help me. I have enough points to download Broken Steel and one of the other packs. Which one would you guys download, the pitt? or Anchorage?

Masked_Mullet on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So i have a question and i need your guys to help me. I have enough points to download Broken Steel and one of the other packs. Which one would you guys download, the pitt? or Anchorage?

Pitt god the Pitt

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Anchorage gives the better reward if you were like me and didn't put any points into small guns or any other guns but only in Energy Guns.

The Gauss is pimp.

But yeah. I guess The Shitt was better as a playing experience. Tho not much.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    so I wanna get 1 of the expansions, but I keep hearing that they simply suck. is this true?

what are the good points to each and the bad points to each? and if none of you wanna go through the trouble of answering that, then are any of them any good and/or worth the price?

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Anchorage attempts to be Call of Duty 4 Pre-Wasteland Warfare. Fails pretty hard.

The Pitt tries to add one quest in a new area (which could of easily been in the main wasteland) which is a type of a sidequest with some moral choice.

Both kinda suck hard as far as value measured in actual continuation of a core segment of the game goes.

But it is "more of the same" as far as side quests and minor quests go. If you've done absolutely everything in Fallout 3 and are hurting for more, get em.

If not, don't.

Broken Steel seems to be the only one worth it due to the fact it continues the aftermath of the main story. But I haven't played it, so I don't know.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    so I wanna get 1 of the expansions, but I keep hearing that they simply suck. is this true?

what are the good points to each and the bad points to each? and if none of you wanna go through the trouble of answering that, then are any of them any good and/or worth the price?

Pros for Anchorage: great scenery, I liked the "video game" feel to it with ammo dispensers and dudes who disappear after being shot. Also forced me to play differently since you start with just a silenced pistol. The rewards are decent, too - especially if you pick up/find all the intel cases.
    Cons: It's pretty short.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    and how much are each pack? 8 bucks? 10? it sounds like I do not want the first 2 expansions. I havent done everything there is to do in vanilla, so paying for an extra quest or 2 I might or might not even get to doesn't sound like a great idea.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ten bucks each i think.

i thought they were both enjoyable enough for what they cost.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    $10 each. I don't feel cheated, but you certainly don't get as much bang for your buck as you did when you bought the base game.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    oh absolutely. I know I wouldn't feel cheated in the slightest if I were actually done with the game to begin with. The demographic seeming to be the people who are in fact done with it already and I'm just not there yet. I'm sure I'll get them all down the line.

broken steel however does look good. extra levels and perks? I wonder if the perks are good.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    SniperLogicSniperLogic ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The leveling perks don't seem all that great (see last page), but that is not to say there could be some quest-related ones that are alright (no clue if this is the case). I should note I have the 360 version, so the various complaints that "the perks are console commands" isn't really a downer for me.

I'll note I'm probably the silent minority who actually enjoyed Anchorage a bit more. It felt more "fresh", whereas the Pitt was pretty much the same ground with a new quest in a marginally different setting. I'll note the various new armors (particularly of the power variety) you can get from the Pitt are pretty cool, weapons non-withstanding (of which neither really blew my socks off).

I'll warn I'm a Fallout whore. I would probably pay $10 for the Dogmeat armor expansion, so take this for what it is.

SniperLogic on
    Steam/PSN: StandrdDeviation
    BNet: StandrdError#1826
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I enjoyed both DLCs, and while Anchorage was short and linear, it was enjoyable and the rewards were good (Chinese Stealth Armor, yay!). The Pitt was also enjoyable although it could be seen as "more of the same"

The perks look kind of weak, but whatever. The Quantom one is the only one that strikes my eye, as that means more Nuka-Grenades.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So Broken Steel - yeah or nay?

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    So Broken Steel - yeah or nay?

nay

since the PC version is still m.i.a :(

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Everybody, let's hear it for Microsoft's Games for Windows Live application.

What a fucking tragedy that is.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It hasn't given me too much grief all told, but I have to say, it is such a failure as a system that they really should just give up on it altogether

Xbox Live works because everyone has it. Not everyone has Windows Live, and a lot of people don't have it because they don't want it. Third party applications work better than it anyway

What don't they understand

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Apparently how to make the shit work.

I especially like it's the DRM bit that is malfunctioning.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    It hasn't given me too much grief all told, but I have to say, it is such a failure as a system that they really should just give up on it altogether

Xbox Live works because everyone has it. Not everyone has Windows Live, and a lot of people don't have it because they don't want it. Third party applications work better than it anyway

They should have looked at Gamespy, shuddered, and committed ritual suicide while simultaneously wiping all traces of GfW Live from their production machines

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Question About Broken Steel:

Is there a "point of no return" like the previous ending, or can you keep playing once you finish all of the new broken Steel content?

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    STARS!6105-1-1241399552.JPG

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

They should have looked at Gamespy, shuddered, and committed ritual suicide while simultaneously wiping all traces of GfW Live from their production machines

Okay, they are indeed comparable, but man, GameSpy Arcade was so much worse than Games for Windows, let's be fair

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    I just finished The Shitt. Crappy expansion is crappy, a little better than Anchorage. Steel Ingot fetch questing is not my kind of thing. I'm not a fucking dog.

God I hope they at least do SOMETHING to move the main story forward, even a bit in Broken Steel.

Precisely why I hated the Pitt.

hyperpower on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Okay, they are indeed comparable, but man, GameSpy Arcade was so much worse than Games for Windows, let's be fair
    that's true

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Since It got Bottom paged and it's liable not to be seen.

Is there a "point of no return" in broken steel, or can you keep playing once you are finished with all of the new material in the broken steel DLC?

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Xbox achievements are broken
    I got Death From Above Last Night, hasn't added on to my score. Doesn't register

How hard is it to release something that works? PC version is absolutely disgusting and Xbox is pissing me off because I like my achievements.

hyperpower on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Strikerkc wrote: »
    Since It got Bottom paged and it's liable not to be seen.

Is there a "point of no return" in broken steel, or can you keep playing once you are finished with all of the new material in the broken steel DLC?

I think the point was to leave the game open when you finished broken steel.

Edit: people that bump becuase they are on the bottom of a page should be burned.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DELAYED. Reason: Microsoft
    `Bethesda has been in touch to update us on the PC version: "We're seeing the same error, which is a Games for Windows Live DRM Install error. Microsoft is working on fixing it, and we'll let everyone know once we've verified it." `

Simply download and install the hotfix here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960554

Then, open up Games for Windows LIVE, head to My Media, and re-download the file. When it's done downloading, start the game and you should be good to go.

Just saw this posted elsewhere, not sure if it'll help or not though

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    STARS!6105-1-1241399552.JPG

Oh my. I do like that.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yes, Nemimutant is A-OK Nightmare Fuel in my book.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    hyperpower wrote: »

The Pitt was not what I was expecting. The end is a bit more morally grey but still, no major different result for either path much like everything in the game. I was expecting a series of intense fights with lots of dialogue outside as I rise up the ranks of the Pitt as a slave and earn the ire of the leader who pushes the advantages towards my opponents and then I break out and save the day. Instead I just collect bits of metal and fight a few fights that are over in 5 minutes total.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I keep forgetting to ask because it's not that important but it's been bugging me for a while:

What the fuck's up with the food sanitizer? Does it work or what? I figured I needed Abraxo Cleaner and the sanitizer in my inventory and they'd work automatically but it hasn't worked on a single piece of food yet

Is it just a broken quest reward or what?

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It works automatically, look at the food stats with and without it.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    hyperpower wrote: »

The Pitt was not what I was expecting. The end is a bit more morally grey but still, no major different result for either path much like everything in the game. I was expecting a series of intense fights with lots of dialogue outside as I rise up the ranks of the Pitt as a slave and earn the ire of the leader who pushes the advantages towards my opponents and then I break out and save the day. Instead I just collect bits of metal and fight a few fights that are over in 5 minutes total.

Yeah, the real shame is how brilliant the Steelyard was in terms of atmosphere and design, yet it was wasted for a sodding fetch quest.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    uh is there a list of the level 20+ perks somewhere or what

i am curious

Lv. 22:
    Deep Sleep - Get the well rested bonus in any bed
    Puppies! - new Dogmeat everytime he dies
    Quantum Chemist - Every 10 Nuka colas you acquire are automatically converted into a Quantum

Lv. 24
    Devils Highway - Karma is instantly set to Very Evil
    Escalator to Heaven - Karma to Very Good
    Karmic Rebalance - Karma to Neutral
    No Weakness - All SPECIAL stats less than 5 become 5

Lv. 26
    Nerves of steel - Faster AP regen
    Rad tolerance - no effects from minor rad poisoning
    Warmonger - All custom weapon schematics added to your inventory

Lv. 28
    Party Boy - No alcohol withdrawal
    Rad Absorption - Rad level decreases automatically over time

Lv. 30
    Almost Perfect - All SPECIAL stats become 9 (Not sure if this will lower your 10's?)
    Nuclear Anamoly - At 20 HP or less you explode and do insane damage to everything around you, including your allies

Most of those seems pretty uninteresting.

Yeah, most of those perks suck pretty badly. There are a couple of good ones, but to be honest there is nothing in there that excites me much. Rad Absorption is decent, but I would want it at a much lower level than 28 to be honest.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, is Broken Steel still broken for the PC? I actually bought it when it briefly appeared on the Games for Windows Live Marketplace, so it's listed in my local media as available for download. However, if it's still broken, I won't bother downloading it.

It's something of a shame that three of the new perks are just there to get achievements. Still, some of them do interesting things from a purely scripting perspective, so I'm looking forward to opening them up and seeing how the specific effects were achieved for a perk.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png