Options

I. M. [Chat]

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    You know, I have a lot of board games but I don't have any card or dice games.

And that's just wrong.
    Race for the Galaxy and Dominions are both fucking great.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    I don't really play any card games or board games. Just a few choice video games, and not even them very much.

Organichu on
  • Options
    Delicious Toad!Delicious Toad! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Do you at least have any hourglass games?

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »

And that's just wrong.
    Race for the Galaxy and Dominions are both fucking great.

I saw a video for dominions and it looked pretty solid if a little simple. I will go research race for the galaxy now, <3

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    I don't really play any card games or board games. Just a few choice video games, and not even them very much.

yeah games are for losers. all types.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    wazilla wrote: »
    I wish I could play games for more than 5 minutes without them grinding to a halt. Seriously computer, tell me what's wrong and I'll make you better.
    If wishes were fishes, we'd all eat wishes.

When I was in 2nd grade I was supposed to write a summary of this book but hadn't read it because I was busy smelling rubber cement or something.

Anyway my summary was based on the actual title of the book as if it was about somehow one day fishes BECAME wishes and wishes became fishes and the implications for the real world therein.

It did not go over well.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

And that's just wrong.

How do you not own Uno? I'm pretty sure that a deck of those cards simply come with an apartment. They're grown in the walls, you see.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Kagera wrote: »
    I wish I could play games for more than 5 minutes without them grinding to a halt. Seriously computer, tell me what's wrong and I'll make you better.

When I was in 2nd grade I was supposed to write a summary of this book but hadn't read it because I was busy smelling rubber cement or something.

Anyway my summary was based on the actual title of the book as if it was about somehow one day fishes BECAME wishes and wishes became fishes and the implications for the real world therein.

It did not go over well.

It would have if you got everybody else to sniff glue with you.

moniker on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

And that's just wrong.

I have a metric fuckton of useless Magic commons somewhere at my dad's
    and a fair few HeroClix figures, if those didn't get pitched when my mom moved to Pittsburgh
    it's like we're opposites

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

It did not go over well.
    There's a book?

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Variable wrote: »

They're for winners! People with fun friends who play off each other. I just have none of those, so... that's why I hardly play games. Xbox Live was my last major connection with games as a social activity and now I don't have broadband so that's kaput, too.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I love this song, don't know why. well, beyond that it's the credit music for mallrats, one of my favorite comedies ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0qBBFNGWtE

Variable on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

and a fair few HeroClix figures, if those didn't get pitched when my mom moved to Pittsburgh

Oh, I used to have a ton of magic cards. I think I tossed em all a while back though.

I was thinking non-collectible card games though.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Oh, I used to have a ton of magic cards. I think I tossed em all a while back though.

I was thinking non-collectible card games though.

FLUXX

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Variable wrote: »

They're for winners! People with fun friends who play off each other. I just have none of those, so... that's why I hardly play games. Xbox Live was my last major connection with games as a social activity and now I don't have broadband so that's kaput, too.

alrighty then.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    VH has Fluxx, it's fun but a little too chaotic for my group, I think.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So is VC going to try and get the girl? I heard email mentioned. Email can be done right now. Then you can claim you were drunk coz this place is like booze....I need to go buy some threaded rod.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    There are a thousand games like Fluxx

if you want a board game that is also a card game, try Citadels

it's a board game but played with cards! sort of

it's not really

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

It did not go over well.
    There's a book?

There's several books titled 'If Wishes Were Fishes' and none of them actually have anything to do with pondering a literal interpretation of the title.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I've never played it, but from what I've heard, FLUXX is lame.

Citadels is also really good.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

It did not go over well.
    There's a book?

There's several books titled 'If Wishes Were Fishes' and none of them actually have anything to do with pondering a literal interpretation of the title.
    oh, found one

If Wishes Were Fishes

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    VH has Fluxx, it's fun but a little too chaotic for my group, I think.

are they nuns?

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Do you like dominion or race for the galaxy more and why? Out of curiosity. I have a very good grasp of how dominion plays, having a harder time finding concrete stuff for race of the galaxy online.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Does the Library of Congress also have the monkey washing the cat in a sink?

Gim on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Fluxx is best in a group they say...
    I personally like it quite a bit but I realize my tastes are unorthodox.

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think I shall take a snobby bath and read now. YAY.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The problem I have with Fluxx is that there is really no strategy to it. It's fun, but it's not something I could play often.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It gets cold in the mountains and the most Northern portions of California.

But then you drive two hours south and it's like ten degrees warmer so it's not something you're stuck in.

I don't drive two hours south. I am suck in the cool and I am displeased.

Cold? Don't you live in Monterey with Quid?

:lol:

Cold...

Man, what. I lived in Panama and Florida. This is absurd to me.

Go to King City, it's about 65 miles away and ten degrees hotter.

...Is there anything there?

Farms and farm animals.

And the county fair whenever it happens to come along.

Other than that? Well it's closer to some lakes than Monterey. Like San Antonio.

In fact it's close to a lot of great places for an outdoors type. And military outposts.

But I prefer a more city atmosphere myself.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Gim wrote: »
    Does the Library of Congress also have the monkey washing the cat in a sink?

Don't know, they just started putting up the 100 year old Edison films and such now.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Citadels seems pretty rad based on the video I watched for it.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Citadels seems pretty rad based on the video I watched for it.
    I really think very highly of it. It's fun and reasonably quick while being both accessible enough that new players could possibly win but that people who know it well have sizable advantages. It's very well put-together, no chaff, and the expansions add to it pretty seamlessly.

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The problem I have with Fluxx is that there is really no strategy to it. It's fun, but it's not something I could play often.

definitely a legitimate complaint.
    some of the variants are a bit more strategy oriented.
    I like the mayhem quotient as it requires more thought than a standard card game but doesn't require elaborate planning.
    I had one roommate who would consistently walk into the middle of a round of Fluxx, get dealt in, and win almost instantly.
    We never figure out how he could do it, the guy was a 20 year old model who lived on cigarettes and disdain for most of humanity and didn't have a strategic bone in his body.
    I think that's part of the fun is never being able to anticipate a win condition.

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The largest problem I had with Fluxx was that the game suffers intensely if someone fucking slows it down and we always had one person who would goddamn overthink it. If your turn involves more than 3 seconds of thought, you're not playing the game right. Spend as long as you need to picking up, putting down, and discarding cards or whatever, but if you are spending more than 3 fucking seconds sitting there staring at your hand you are doing it wrong and pretty much ruining the game for everyone else at the table. :x

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The largest problem I had with Fluxx was that the game suffers intensely if someone fucking slows it down and we always had one person who would goddamn overthink it. If your turn involves more than 3 seconds of thought, you're not playing the game right. Spend as long as you need to picking up, putting down, and discarding cards or whatever, but if you are spending more than 3 fucking seconds sitting there staring at your hand you are doing it wrong and pretty much ruining the game for everyone else at the table. :x

There actually should be an addition to the basic rules that allows the use of a cattle prod in such instances.
    In a group of people who aren't powergaming the cattle prod rule wouldn't really even be an issue.
    Sometimes it does pay to stop and look for a second, but it isn't usually a gamebreaker if you do something out of order unless you chuck a goal at the wrong time. it is pretty easy to get sidetracked if you don't keep the momentum going though.

basically, it's not a game for a strategic gaming night, it's a casual game that's deceptively simple but requires a little bit more energy than say, Uno.

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In an alternate universe...

swedenmexicoswitch.png

Gim on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    James wrote: »
    so it's only based on how efficiently you don't remember drinking it?
    cause...
    I drink beer because I like how it tastes. I know, crazy.

Exactly why I prefer spirits. Wine and beer can be good, but spirits are just so varied!

I will drink just about anything alcoholic once
    just for the scientific aspect.
    I like a lot of different things, but for day to day liver abuse beer is so tasty and goes with everything!

For taste my favorite is Scotch. I love scotch so much. Part of it is my first scotch was my uncle who had some really great scotch when I visited, and it was great.

But I mean, when I'm looking for flavor I go with scotch or really crazy cocktails. When I'm going to get drunk I go with scotch or differently crazy cocktails.

Beer? It's like "Hey you won't get drunk on this. And it's an acquired taste. So I guess. Well fuck you"

most people who criticize beer snobs don't realize how awesome it is to be one :p
    if nothing else, people with good taste in beer are people with good taste in general, I've found.

Yes. We mock you because we love you. We want you to join us in our snobbery. Sure, it takes maybe a year to acquire the taste. But the rewards... sir, let me invite you to acquire this taste. Let me do it formally, and with gusto, so that you may consider accepting. Because not liking beer is no way to live.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It comes as no surprise to me that Thanatos dislikes Fluxx.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Beer snobbery is the way to go. Hell, alcohol snobbery in general.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It comes as no surprise to me that Thanatos dislikes Fluxx.
    I listed three games I really like, too. It's not my fault you have shitty taste. :P

Thanatos on
This discussion has been closed.