Options

I. M. [Chat]

14546474951

Posts

  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    mlb.tv's nexdef stuff is constantly fucking up for me, but the picture quality is so much better when it's actually working.

    I'm not sure if I should downgrade to a regular subscription.

    gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Now instead of homology group I could go around saying "an abelian group which acts as a measure of the hole structure of a space", but that's bloody fucking verbose, and besides, the Reimanns of the world will whine that they have a right to not use google but rather have someone explain to them what Abelian groups are, since that's yet more jargon, so I guess I should be going around saying "a group in which all the elements commute which acts as a measure of the hole structure of a space". But damnit, now there's this bloody "commute" jargon...

    This is the one thing that I don't get -- why people on internet discussions don't use google and wikipedia and stuff like the stanford encyclopedia of philosophy. Pretty much all the advanced scientific topics I know (which is admittedly little) I have learned from the internet, which is generally prodded by reading a science thread in which I go "shit, I have no clue what that is." Then if I am still confused, I ask questions about it.

    That often doesn't help. Jargon is frequently explained with more jargon, and by that point I simply can't be bothered.

    Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Eddy is the best poster.

    Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    "He dusted the cheeto powder off of his stubby fingers, his double chins wobbling with rage. It was unthinkable, impossible, and inhuman - how could anyone think that Firefly wasn't the best Whedon show? Sitting in the glow of his monitor, he set to work, to right a tremendous wrong."

    his penis throbbed with angry neon orange indignance

    skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Edit: In response to Podly -

    It is unfortunately the case that most of the terms you were using repurpose sufficiently common words to make "just googling" them less than trivial. Not to mention it seems that, unlike mathematics, different authors use them differently. So in the case of your thread only you can provide a precise defintion.


    Edit: eg: "being". That's a lot of hits in google.

    Further edit: And yes I have tried to wade through the wiki article which is the first hit. But that seemed to have little relation to the word as Pods was using it.

    RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    stilist wrote: »
    I finally got the editing perfect: http://www.zshare.net/audio/594758548c6adfa9/
    I'm stealing this.

    gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    gundam470 wrote: »
    stilist wrote: »
    I finally got the editing perfect: http://www.zshare.net/audio/594758548c6adfa9/
    I'm stealing this.
    That’s the idea. :D

    stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    KevinNashKevinNash Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    heh

    kevin nash did something funny

    In other news I just shook Bill Clinton's hand. It was bizarre. I got more pictures of his stupid secret service detail than the actual president though. :|

    KevinNash on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    0414_obama_charlie_ap.jpg

    I still love this picture.

    Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Seriously? Cheeto stained fingers? That post actually stings a bit man.

    that was a bit harsh

    I like it for color though, try not to take it too personally

    Senjutsu on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Senj was on a pretty good tear; you can’t knock him for the details.

    stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    "He dusted the cheeto powder off of his stubby fingers, his double chins wobbling with rage. It was unthinkable, impossible, and inhuman - how could anyone think that Firefly wasn't the best Whedon show? Sitting in the glow of his monitor, he set to work, to right a tremendous wrong."

    Eddy this is the best thing

    Senjutsu on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Edit: In response to Podly -

    It is unfortunately the case that most of the terms you were using repurpose sufficiently common words to make "just googling" them less than trivial. Not to mention it seems that, unlike mathematics, different authors use them differently. So in the case of your thread only you can provide a precise defintion.


    Edit: eg: "being". That's a lot of hits in google.

    Further edit: And yes I have tried to wade through the wiki article which is the first hit.

    Reading the writings of the authors that Poldy refers to can help you better understand what is being said. At some point you no longer need specific definitions of the words, intuition and context provide you with everything you need.

    Sarksus on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Edit: In response to Podly -

    It is unfortunately the case that most of the terms you were using repurpose sufficiently common words to make "just googling" them less than trivial. Not to mention it seems that, unlike mathematics, different authors use them differently. So in the case of your thread only you can provide a precise defintion.


    Edit: eg: "being". That's a lot of hits in google.

    Oh, I'm not talking about my post specifically. I fully acknowledge that I need to specify my terms, especially when asked. However, when I say something like "I am using the traditional philosophical definition of perfection, in which perfection is simple actualization, and such not be considered a value judgement" I expect people to read that and understand it, or, it they are confused, go to the stanford encyclopedia of philosophy or even wikipedia. Because I mentioned that I was using the traditional definition.

    Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    I'm also waiting until the day when I know enough about relativity theory to make a thread called

    Being is Time, Motha fuckas!

    Going to be a long wait. I am not saything that to disparage your ability to learn but rather because first rather a lot more science will have to be done to nail down Time in a way that would support or deny such an idea.

    Edit: I mean there is not, to my knowledge, any good scientific understanding of what time is. Some possibilities. Some theories. But not yet enough supporting data to support or reject them. Yet.

    RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey Podly

    Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    :D

    thanks guys

    Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    hey eddy, I was thinking of you the other day actually

    do you think that there are aspects of the past which are not history, or which are off-limits to history

    I have no opinion on the matter, I just think it's an interesting question, and I wondered what you'd say.

    Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Time to try a mashup that is probably going to be a complete failure.

    stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Podly when do you say not history, do you mean not actual events? Because I think even folklore is history as it has an indelible impact upon the consciousness.

    Good now clarify fuckface.

    Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey Podly

    hey zen

    Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    hey eddy, I was thinking of you the other day actually

    do you think that there are aspects of the past which are not history, or which are off-limits to history

    I have no opinion on the matter, I just think it's an interesting question, and I wondered what you'd say.

    what would be an example

    off the top of my head I'm going to say no since the most overlooked events/narratives in history are often the most important

    Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    do you think that there are aspects of the past which are not history, or which are off-limits to history
    History mostly deal with human beings and written records so yes, there are aspects of the past which are not history because the field of history isn't that inclusive unless you are using it in the classical sense that I don't anybody uses anymore. If you mean it in that sense, then everything in the past is history. It might be history that we don't give a shit about though.

    Couscous on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Podly when do you say not history, do you mean not actual events? Because I think even folklore is history as it has an indelible impact upon the consciousness.

    I'm not quite sure. Because I argue that the past is just as undetermined as the future existentially, which is why the african-american community's reappropraition of the word ***** is so awesome and inspiring.

    Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    hey eddy, I was thinking of you the other day actually

    do you think that there are aspects of the past which are not history, or which are off-limits to history

    I have no opinion on the matter, I just think it's an interesting question, and I wondered what you'd say.

    what would be an example

    off the top of my head I'm going to say no since the most overlooked events/narratives in history are often the most important

    Just to throw out an idea: perhaps aspects of the past for which there is no evidence - while possibly important - are not History?

    RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    hey eddy, I was thinking of you the other day actually

    do you think that there are aspects of the past which are not history, or which are off-limits to history

    I have no opinion on the matter, I just think it's an interesting question, and I wondered what you'd say.

    what would be an example

    off the top of my head I'm going to say no since the most overlooked events/narratives in history are often the most important

    I guess something like "what was my average body temperature yesterday?" I'd imagine that there is some hyper-technical way to discover a close approximation, but is it "history?"

    Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    gonna go grab some pizza

    later

    Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd argue that the indeterminate past is irrelevant until it is made known.

    Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    hey eddy, I was thinking of you the other day actually

    do you think that there are aspects of the past which are not history, or which are off-limits to history

    I have no opinion on the matter, I just think it's an interesting question, and I wondered what you'd say.
    Coincidentally, here’s what I was thinking of last night as I did the dishes:

    In Small Gods Pratchett has the concept of ‘history monks’, who go around to observe things, because otherwise history does not exist. They’re clearly a joke (I think the one used in the story is mentioned seeing a tree fall and the noise it makes), but the concept is interesting: if there’s no record of something happening, it effectively did not happen.

    So, to pull in your post, history is only what we know about the past—an argument in the Roanoake colony is off-limits because there’s no physical evidence and no chance of verbal record.

    Other than that, I dunno.

    stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dang it, Riemann! And Eddy!

    stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    hey eddy, I was thinking of you the other day actually

    do you think that there are aspects of the past which are not history, or which are off-limits to history

    I have no opinion on the matter, I just think it's an interesting question, and I wondered what you'd say.

    what would be an example

    off the top of my head I'm going to say no since the most overlooked events/narratives in history are often the most important

    I guess something like "what was my average body temperature yesterday?" I'd imagine that there is some hyper-technical way to discover a close approximation, but is it "history?"
    It could tell you that you weren't running a fever and therefore were not suffering from any of the negative effects of a fever that could affect your actions. If it was higher than normal, it could explain why you acted as you did.

    Couscous on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yay. I have finished building a list for this new computer.

    I will have a new secondary computer plus an upgrade for my current computer as I am taking parts from this computer to use in the new secondary computer.

    Sarksus on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would argue that the past is not indeterminate.

    TL DR on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would argue that the past is not indeterminate.

    We would have to understand time in order to be able to say whether or not it is indeterminate. As far as I know, nobody is exactly sure what time is.

    Couscous on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would argue that the past is not indeterminate.
    You can’t get any information about the ancient Assyrians out of the fact that a raindrop will fall on your nose tomorrow.

    stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I suspect that there must be aspects of the past which are indeterminate. Even with a perfect and complete set of "the laws of physics" (whatever form that may take) current understanding of the uncertainty principle would indicate that we could never measure the present accurately enough to extrapolate backwards with infinite precision into the past.

    RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    hey eddy, I was thinking of you the other day actually

    do you think that there are aspects of the past which are not history, or which are off-limits to history

    I have no opinion on the matter, I just think it's an interesting question, and I wondered what you'd say.

    what would be an example

    off the top of my head I'm going to say no since the most overlooked events/narratives in history are often the most important

    I guess something like "what was my average body temperature yesterday?" I'd imagine that there is some hyper-technical way to discover a close approximation, but is it "history?"

    I guess that depends what field you're studying, but I've never actually heard a term for that line of what is history and what is too mundane. I guess you just have to ask is it relevant to the time period - does it further our understanding of an area of history.

    Often a lot of our understanding comes from seemingly mundane things - journals, diaries, letters, and none of them are about things that are particularly important. Oral histories do this a lot, they talk about their daily lives and experiences, and while they are not particularly exciting they are usually very good for gaining a perspective on a certain piece of time. Like a document I read was an account of courtship (Dating) in the NYC Bowery district in the 1890s. Two people went out for ice cream and oysters on the pier, and it wasn't exciting at all but it helped established some of the earliest ideas of courtship and social dating leading to eventual romance and marriage, which was a very new concept at the time.

    So your body temperature yesterday? not so much. What it's like for you to live in a mostly minority neighborhood as a young white guy? more so

    Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    stilist wrote: »
    I would argue that the past is not indeterminate.
    You can’t get any information about the ancient Assyrians out of the fact that a raindrop will fall on your nose tomorrow.

    But you can get information about the ancient Assyrians from a fairy cake.

    Couscous on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    hey eddy, I was thinking of you the other day actually

    do you think that there are aspects of the past which are not history, or which are off-limits to history

    I have no opinion on the matter, I just think it's an interesting question, and I wondered what you'd say.

    what would be an example

    off the top of my head I'm going to say no since the most overlooked events/narratives in history are often the most important

    Just to throw out an idea: perhaps aspects of the past for which there is no evidence - while possibly important - are not History?

    not necessarily. Nothing ever happens in a vacuum, and a historical event (battle, treaty being signed, social upheveal) generally has an effect on the course of human development even if we have no record of it.

    Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    stilist wrote: »
    I would argue that the past is not indeterminate.
    You can’t get any information about the ancient Assyrians out of the fact that a raindrop will fall on your nose tomorrow.

    Then I'm either mistaken about the definition of 'past' or the definition of 'indeterminate'

    TL DR on
This discussion has been closed.