Options

I. M. [Chat]

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    there's a song I remember hearing when I was younger and I'm not sure if the title was Put It In My Mouth but that was the first line of the chorus.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I guess I'm wrong again. *sigh*

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    wazilla wrote: »
    Recently I've been having the urge to just get obliterated. It's not a good urge.

I haven't had that urge since I woke up *alone* in the emergency room at 3 in the morning on my birthday
    with no clue how I got there

it wasn't a good night, needless to say
    but it was one of those experiences I would classify as "necessary" to establish a boundary between well rounded drinking and fucking stupid drinking.

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    tapeslinger any very accessible stuff you'd suggest?
    Tanqueray Ten (make sure it's Ten and not regular Tanqueray) is a very smooth, easy-to-drink gin. Vox is a hella smooth, easy-to-drink vodka. And Monte Alban is a hella smooth, delicious Mescal.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    daves I know. so classic.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Variable wrote: »

I fucking [strike]loved[/strike] love that show. So much.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I imagine this is straight out of Gim's life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxMrWSTlvgg&feature=related

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I fucking [strike]loved[/strike] love that show. So much.

it truly amazes me how many outstanding skits they have. It might be my favorite such show. probably. Mr. Show competes.

Variable on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Heh, Bruce McCulloch said 'aboot'.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I never liked Kids in the Hall.

I was way more of an Upright Citizens Brigade kind of guy.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Man the whole disparity between brandishing and firing a gun is so silly in most of America.

Organichu on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    tapeslinger any very accessible stuff you'd suggest?

in which class of alcohol?

Whichever, I guess? I don't really like any of them at the moment, so I guess whichever is easiest to get into. Would that be beer?

easiest is vodka in my experience because you do need to mix it with other things to make it palatable and cheap vodka is *usually* just as good as the top shelf stuff. (Do not get grain-alcohol vodka. that shit is drain cleaner only!)
    Smirnoff is a relatively cheap brand that makes a great mixed drink.
    The distillation process means that most of the crap that clogs up in your body when you get hungover-- isn't present in vodka. Vodka and just about any citrus juice or cranberry juice is the easiest cocktail in the world to make, and you can modulate the "feel" by adjusting alcohol vs. ice vs. juice, for example. I would not start with martinis though unless you really lie the savory aspect of alcohol.

I didn't like alcohol much at all until I started mixing vodka drinks, for the record.

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thanks than.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I never liked Kids in the Hall.

I was way more of an Upright Citizens Brigade kind of guy.

UCB is great but KITH are better.

I mean, ass pennies and hot chicks room alone go a long way.

backstage at the UCB theater in nyc they have a hot chicks door. that was great to see.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I imagine this is straight out of Gim's life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxMrWSTlvgg&feature=related

Well, I do own a bike.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    slinger- thanks but I think I explained myself poorly. I do like some mixed drinks, that's not the problem. I just don't like the actual inherent taste of any alcoholic drinks- beer, wine, or liquor unmixed. I mostly don't drink mixed drinks because of the disgusting nutritional value of most mixers. I'm pretty much looking for a beer or wine or straight liquor I can consume in certain social situations without grimacing. I hear about guys sitting in their dens buying scotch that they paid a thousand dollars for... or guys having a beer with dinner every night. That's sort of what I'm thrown by- I don't enjoy those tastes.

And I sort of want to for social reasons.

Organichu on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Gim wrote: »
    I have a soul and my soul loves beer.

You and I shall drink beer together someday, sir.

May I join you gentlemen in your classy gathering?
    The only beer I like is Corona.

If you want to punch me in the gut because of this, please just get in line, I have a whole lot of punches to get through and it's already pretty late.

ANOTHER OF YOUR CRIMES TOAD. *punchpunchpunch* *kickkickkick*
    I've never tried an alcohol I liked. I'm not saying alcohol can't taste good but it definitely can't without a mixer of some sort.

big whoop wanna fight about it

Kinda, but then you got reasonable. Be warned, it took me about a year to learn to like beer. I don't know if that is normal or not. I do genuinely enjoy it, though. There are times when I am like "Man, a beer would be great right now, but I need my wits about me slash do not want to start getting drunk right now."

The first alcohol I learned to like was beer, and I am about 2 thirds through learning to like whiskey on the rocks. I buy cheap whiskey, though, because I thought for some reason it would be dumb to spend money on good whiskey while I was still acquiring the taste. I have since come to doubt that logic. The first beer I truly enjoyed was either a Negra Modelo or a New Belgium 1554. I don't recall which. I have since lost my liking for the Negra. Other beers currently on my yes list include Dos Equis, Sam Adams, the Widmer Hefeweizen, and Dundee's Honey Brown. The last is one I believe to be accessible in that few people have disliked it as much as they dislike other beers. Similar to what you described earlier, the sentiment seems to be "well this is a better class of bad than the other bad stuff I drank."

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Also beer and spicy food do not compliment each other at all IMO. And with steak I like to have a vodka martini, icy mixed drink, or water. Beer seems somehow out of place. But with a hamburger, with pizza, or on its own? Beer is nice.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I have no qualms with such an unholy gathering.

Gim on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    How come every year when I get a flu shot, I get a cold immediately afterwards which is arguably more miserable? I mean when I get the flu I can't do anything, but my nose is clear. When I get a cold I'm basically fine, but everything feels like more effort then it need be.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    slinger- thanks but I think I explained myself poorly. I do like some mixed drinks, that's not the problem. I just don't like the actual inherent taste of any alcoholic drinks- beer, wine, or liquor unmixed. I mostly don't drink mixed drinks because of the disgusting nutritional value of most mixers. I'm pretty much looking for a beer or wine or straight liquor I can consume in certain social situations without grimacing. I hear about guys sitting in their dens buying scotch that they paid a thousand dollars for... or guys having a beer with dinner every night. That's sort of what I'm thrown by- I don't enjoy those tastes.

And I sort of want to for social reasons.

ahhhh yes
    for me, it was getting used to the taste mixed first that threw me.
    If I'm drinking something on the rocks, it's probably rum or a specialty liqueur.

in terms of beer?
    accessible beers that are genuinely good used to be hard to find, not sure how classy your area is but I would say for something really basic, Sam Adams' Cherry Wheat is one that we pick up a lot as sort of a "standard" beer on weekends; it's a really basic beer that tastes like beer but doesn't kick you in the face with hops. "Summer" beers like Hoegaarden aren't terribly overpowering. Darker beers will probably put you off for the moment.

you might also want to try some non-traditional spirits and liqueurs-- some people will drink those as a rocks drink, but it depends on your taste as to what your mileage will be there-- most of those are derived from herbs and other natural flavors.

Also, as per Denis Leary:
    alcohol doesn't necessarily taste good, and sometimes the grimace is built into the drink. I can't find the "whiskey face" routine anywhere but I'm sure it's on youtube somewhere.

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Expensive beers are fantastic. Unfortunately, they are hella expensive.

10 bucks for 6 of them? I'd rather get a bottle of rum for 17 which'll make many more drinks.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

10 bucks for 6 of them? I'd rather get a bottle of rum for 17 which'll make many more drinks.

heh, I have completely lost my economy of scale on pricing drinks since I moved to the city. 10$ for a six pack sounds like a deal to me, but that's probably a higher end beer where you are.

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    OK tapeslinger. Thanks a bunch.

Why drink poor tasting alcohol? If there's stuff out there you like why would you want to consume the nasty stuff? Just to get drunk a few minutes quicker/little more cheaply?

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

heh, I have completely lost my economy of scale on pricing drinks since I moved to the city. 10$ for a six pack sounds like a deal to me, but that's probably a higher end beer where you are.

Well, you walk into a liquor store, and there's the 13 for 30 shit. The lowest of the low. Then there's stuff like Guiness that you can get 6 longnecks for 9-10 depending on deals. Then there's the Leger and Feinkegel and all of that stuff that is 6 for up into 10-11. The point being that almost all of the beer that expensive is good. Which is, say, the opposite of many things where value doesn't necessarily stay entirely congruent with taste.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    OK tapeslinger. Thanks a bunch.

Why drink poor tasting alcohol? If there's stuff out there you like why would you want to consume the nasty stuff? Just to get drunk a few minutes quicker/little more cheaply?

In my experience, cheap stuff is drank by people who

a) are too young to buy it themselves and just get it
    b) are going to drink a ton of it (it gets expensive)
    c) have acquired a taste for it and don't care anymore (I have a friend who loves Miller Lite, my parents love Labatt, etc.)
    d) people who don't know any better

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Well, you walk into a liquor store, and there's the 13 for 30 shit. The lowest of the low. Then there's stuff like Guiness that you can get 6 longnecks for 9-10 depending on deals. Then there's the Leger and Feinkegel and all of that stuff that is 6 for up into 10-11. The point being that almost all of the beer that expensive is good. Which is, say, the opposite of many things where value doesn't necessarily stay entirely congruent with taste.
    Costco sells 14.3 oz. cans of Guinness for just over $1 a can.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If I Thumbs Down every live recording that comes up, will Pandora eventually get the hint?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The problem with that:
    1) It's Guinness
    2) It's not draught

So it's a bad time.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited May 2009

a valid point. Here a six pack of CORONA is 8-12 depending on where you go. Might as well spend the 12 and get the Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier.

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    The problem with that:
    1) It's Guinness
    2) It's not draught

So it's a bad time.
    It's difficult to find Guinness on tap out here.

Plus, they have their widget, which helps.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

a valid point. Here a six pack of CORONA is 8-12 depending on where you go. Might as well spend the 12 and get the Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier.
    NYC exists in an entirely separate economic universe from the rest of the country.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Sam Adams is pretty cheap here. The 12 mixer was something like 14-16 if I recall correctly. And a hell of a brew. A sixer of Corona'd be, for longnecks, 7-9 and no more I imagine.

Draught is so good ... mmm, chocolate milk.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    NYC exists in an entirely separate economic universe from the rest of the country.

A second valid point!

goodnight folks. everyone sexually harass nexuscrawler for me tomorrow while I'm at work, ok?

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So I'm pretty big into running. It was one thing that helped me 'get to know' Queens when I was going to school. I thought it'd be really cool to run in Manhattan, too. So I do, and it's great. Afterwards I stop at one of those innumerable food carts to get a 20 oz Gatorade.

$4.50!?

I was displeased.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Wow. That's amusement park food pricing right there.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hah.

Or major league sports/theater prices.

A dollar for one, here. At least, when they are on sale.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    David Webb does not like to be price gouged.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I have no qualms with such an unholy gathering.

:whistle:let's get it on:whistle:

Variable on
This discussion has been closed.