Options

I. M. [Chat]

• Options
    Delicious Toad!Delicious Toad! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Arghh it's almost morning! If I was steadily employed, I'm pretty sure I'd lose it pretty fast. <_<

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Toad who the fuck are you?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Goodnight everyone! ^^q

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009

The wind beneath our wings, alright?

Organichu on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i_am_batman_pug.jpg

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I bet I have never heard of the account Toad originally used.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's one of the great mysteries of our time.

I mean: It's church.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    God I hate doing stuff. There's always multiple levels, but no one writes convenient lists which tell you which one you should aim at. I usually just want to do something the simple but reliable way, as opposed to the complicated but precise or completely fucking hacked and will fail constantly way.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    God I hate doing stuff. There's always multiple levels, but no one writes convenient lists which tell you which one you should aim at. I usually just want to do something the simple but reliable way, as opposed to the complicated but precise or completely fucking hacked and will fail constantly way.
    This is very true. You can never tell if the method you choose is a red herring. Apparently that is just science. Fuck science.

I'm just going to start making up wonderful results and writing papers about them.

"First detection of room-temperature superconductivity"

"A novel mono-saccaride specific solid state sensor"

"Proof that there is a ghost in my lab fucking up my science"

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Mojo did I tell you? I'm going to experiment to see if you can do hydrosilyation with UV LEDs! One guy in my lab has shown that with Si(111) you get no oxide using a UV lamp and argon (and pretty much off-the-shelf undecylenic acid). I'm going to make a little PCB of UV LEDs, thread that into an argon line inside a dessicator and see if it works using those.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Mojo did I tell you? I'm going to experiment to see if you can do hydrosilyation with UV LEDs! One guy in my lab has shown that with Si(111) you get no oxide using a UV lamp and argon (and pretty much off-the-shelf undecylenic acid). I'm going to make a little PCB of UV LEDs, thread that into an argon line inside a dessicator and see if it works using those.
    Surely you don't get anything like the power necessary from a UV LED? Using UV to attach alkenes to H-terminated surfaces seems quite well covered, it's the basis I've been working from for my science.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    We got a couple of guys in here doing science.

Stand back, everyone. Science.

Organichu on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Do as he says, his sig has a gun.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    He's certainly packing heat.

Right, fuck this noise, I'm going to grab an ASS coffee.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Morning, [chat].

Bank holiday weekend approaching in 7 hours.

Bogart on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Gim wrote: »

My sig will spring into action if he threatens an American child, but will uncaringly read a newspaper if the child is British.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Bogart wrote: »
    Morning, [chat].

Bank holiday weekend approaching in 7 hours.
    Wooo

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Had to spend about 45 minutes cleaning my walls, and now I can't sleep. Grumble.

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    We'll hang them from the town gates of London.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It was going on for about 10 or 15 minutes, which is quite a long time, considering the location.
    The Japanese tourists were comparing their videos.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Better Guardian story:
    Well, as Martin Lawrence is moved to remark in the world cinema classic Bad Boys 2: this shit just got real.
    From an article about Scaremongerama 2009. I mean Swine flu.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Gim wrote: »

My sig will spring into action if he threatens an American child, but will uncaringly read a newspaper if the child is British.

My sig will unceremoniously die.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ha ha, yeah the Lost in Showbiz column is usually pretty funny and depressing in equal measure.

Because my missus thinks I am the cat's pyjamas she gave me a little bag of Quality Street chocolates to eat with my lunch. I have started early on the caramel-centered ones. Nom nom nom.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The Japanese tourists were comparing their videos.

They're an interesting lot.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ha ha, yeah the Lost in Showbiz column is usually pretty funny and depressing in equal measure.

Because my missus thinks I am the cat's pyjamas she gave me a little bag of Quality Street chocolates to eat with my lunch. I have started early on the caramel-centered ones. Nom nom nom.
    IT IS NOT LUNCH TIME.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    oh dang, that guy who tried to kill the royal Dutch family died yesterday. Now we will never know wtf he was thinking.

At least the queen won't have to go "Dear countrymen and women...except that one guy, seriously fuck him..." every time.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It's awesome: she knows I really like the fruit ones and the caramel ones and she's picked only those out of the box for me. I also have a healthy carrot in my lunch bag, but damned if I'm eating that while there's delicious chocolate to eat.

NOM NOM NOM.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So have you guys seen this Omegle thing?
    Omegle is a brand-new service for meeting new friends. When you use Omegle, we pick another user at random and let you have a one-on-one chat with each other. Chats are completely anonymous, although there is nothing to stop you from revealing personal details if you would like.

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Surely you don't get anything like the power necessary from a UV LED? Using UV to attach alkenes to H-terminated surfaces seems quite well covered, it's the basis I've been working from for my science.
    Well to crack the alkene pi bond all you need is 453 nm photons, and UV LEDs work at 390-400. So then it's just a question of intensity. The ones I've got held at 5cm give about 25 mW cm-2 of light power, which in a paper was reported to give a good monolayer after about 2 hours. Considering we go with 16 hour/overnight reactions, I'm taking the bet that we're way way waaaay over-cooking them normally, and that I can probably get excellent results with the LEDs. Which would be great, since they're $10 each and I can thread them inside of things.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Omegle sounds unappealing. Talk to someone completely random on the internet? Uh, no thanks.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Omegle sounds unappealing. Talk to someone completely random on the internet? Uh, no thanks.
    Stranger: timothy
    You: whoa
    You: how'd you know
    Stranger: i see many things
    You: I just killed a man
    Stranger: i am special
    You: :0
    You: I punched him until he was DEAD
    Stranger: ill show you what will happen to you
    Stranger: link removed
    You: why would I click a link without a file extension
    You: why would I DO that
    Stranger: it's a picture
    Stranger: noob
    You: here is a picture of my hand
    You: link removed
    You: I just fucking punched a man until he was DEAD
    Stranger: link removed
    You: stop that
    You: STOP THAT
    You: I'm going to PUNCH YOU
    You: until you DIE
    Stranger: bring it

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    but you're a completely random person on the internet as well. It's an exercise in small talk, at any rate. *e: or in death threads. Either/or.

Aldo on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, I was going to say, seems like something that would probably be right in line with the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It was actually so amusing that now I think I can get to sleep. Nightnight!

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well to crack the alkene pi bond all you need is 453 nm photons, and UV LEDs work at 390-400. So then it's just a question of intensity. The ones I've got held at 5cm give about 25 mW cm-2 of light power, which in a paper was reported to give a good monolayer after about 2 hours. Considering we go with 16 hour/overnight reactions, I'm taking the bet that we're way way waaaay over-cooking them normally, and that I can probably get excellent results with the LEDs. Which would be great, since they're $10 each and I can thread them inside of things.
    Two hours is much shorter than I've heard reported. Any chance you've got a reference there I can get a look at?

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Where can I find a list of recommendations on self-lubricating metal combinations? I mean I'm guessing steel and brass works, but that's based on guns.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    but you're a completely random person on the internet as well. It's an exercise in small talk, at any rate. *e: or in death threads. Either/or.

I'm not completely random, though. You can see my posts and my post history and decide if you want to talk to me or ignore me or send me freaky pm's like Obs or whatever. And you can do the same with any topic or forum on the intertron.

But with omegle you just get plumped with a random person, with no method of weeding out the crazy other than trying again. It's like Russian Roulette, but with stupid instead of bullets.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Two hours is much shorter than I've heard reported. Any chance you've got a reference there I can get a look at?
    This would depend on me having saved it. So nope, unfortunately. It was on patterning of silicon surfaces via the hydrosilyation reaction - they were using photomasks (made with a laser printer) to do it. It seemed pretty low to me to, so no idea if they got complete coverage.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Aldo wrote: »

I'm not completely random, though. You can see my posts and my post history and decide if you want to talk to me or ignore me or send me freaky pm's like Obs or whatever. And you can do the same with any topic or forum on the intertron.

But with omegle you just get plumped with a random person, with no method of weeding out the crazy other than trying again. It's like Russian Roulette, but with stupid instead of bullets.

Yes, and we come together because of shared interests. Generally speaking, people who post on PA are going to be demographically compatible, or more likely so than a totally random person off the wider interwebs.

And it being a community where you must think about the consequences of your actions does greatly reduce the chance of each person being a fuckwad.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
This discussion has been closed.