I. M. [Chat]

• Options
    RonTheDMRonTheDM Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's not swine flu.

It's baconlung.

RonTheDM on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh Mr Supervisor, your empty promises of conferences mean nothing to me. Oh Vienna.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hoo boy.

That is all.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Oh Mr Supervisor, your empty promises of conferences mean nothing to me. Oh Vienna.
    I need to get results pertinent to the DNA community so me and Bulgarian girl can visit the french riviera without paying for it.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atd8dowrbNI

I saw that commercial last night.

Oh my god.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fuck yes we just got a big tax refund

I don't have to borrow money from my parents, thank god.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've never understood the American system of taxes. They seem to go in the wrong direction.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dude, the commercial says it's for PCs only, but that one guy is using a Mac!

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I've never understood the American system of taxes. They seem to go in the wrong direction.

I don't either, but I'm sure as hell not complaining right now.

I did not expect this refund at all.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Dude, the commercial says it's for PCs only, but that one guy is using a Mac!

There's just so much wrong with that whole thing.

How hard would it possibly have been to have made a commercial that made sense, or bore any reality whatsoever to the goddamn product?

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Nobody understands the tax system.

Nobody.

RonTheDM on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited May 2009
    :whistle:That's one for you, nineteen for me!
    'Cus I'm the Tax Man!:whistle:

Bogart on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

You're not actually getting money from the government. You paid them too much throughout the year, so you get the balance back. It's like accidentally handing the guy at the pizza place an extra $20, except he holds on to it for a year and you have to fill out complicated forms to get it back.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

You're not actually getting money from the government. You paid them too much throughout the year, so you get the balance back. It's like accidentally handing the guy at the pizza place an extra $20, except he holds on to it for a year and you have to fill out complicated forms to get it back.
    But why do you all overpay every single year?

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

See below.
    Nobody understands the tax system.

Nobody.

OremLK on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Thankfully, I find the taxes up here in Canada a little less complicated. You guys in the states have so many little things with your taxes. I'm just glad I have extra taken off for my deductions on each pay. I'm a little less stressed knowing that I shouldn't have to worry about paying anything in.

To address your comment though Mojo, it's not actually as common to get money back from what I understand. That's why so many are surprised when they actually get something back.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited May 2009
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Bogart wrote: »
    Hugh Jackman is so adorable.

Speaking of which, the X-Men Origins: Wolverine demo is on XBL and (I think) PSN and it is pretty great.

I highly recommend checking it out.

OremLK on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Aloha.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2009

All joking aside, most people's employers deduct a bit from our paychecks to pay their taxes, based on a rough estimate of how much would be owed for earning that amount of money. Like, if most people earning $1500 a paycheck pay roughly $350 of that in taxes, then that is what the employer's accountants will obligingly forward on to the government before passing the remainder on to you.

However, what you actually owe the government is based on a series of complicated factors including the number of dependents you support, how much you made from other sources (another job, for example), and how many of your annual expenses can be claimed as tax-deductible (if you run a business from home, and buy $2000 of equipment to aid that business, you can deduct the cost of that equipment from the value of your gross income, so it's like you made $2000 less).

And your employers, paying the government on your behalf, don't know all those factors as they apply to you, so it's likely that your taxes will either have been overpaid or underpaid. On April 15 you are expected to produce documentation to that effect and either fork over what you owe, or claim your refund. You have the option to not have taxes withheld from your check at all, but then it's guaranteed that you will owe money in the spring and a lot of poor planners end up with not enough to cover the bill.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Aloha.

Salutem.

RonTheDM on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Finally. No more fucking 80s shows.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Aloha.

Salutem.

¡hola!

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Finally. No more fucking 80s shows.

That ended like 19 years ago...

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Aloha.

Salutem.

¡hola!

Hagall.

RonTheDM on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Kveðja.

RonTheDM on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The problem with Heroes is the writers are terrible. I mean with good writers it'd have been a way more interesting show. Of course I suppose the thing is, the correct model would have vaguely been that which was involved in the second Deus Ex game - after the initial reveal, they really needed to have the super-powerful fade into the background and become more intelligent, rather then more stupid.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Of course I suppose the thing is, the correct model would have vaguely been that which was involved in the second Deus Ex game - after the initial reveal, they really needed to have the super-powerful fade into the background and become more intelligent, rather then more stupid.

If Peter went the route of isolation instead, it would have made for a much, much more interesting show.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Of course I suppose the thing is, the correct model would have vaguely been that which was involved in the second Deus Ex game - after the initial reveal, they really needed to have the super-powerful fade into the background and become more intelligent, rather then more stupid.

If Peter went the route of isolation instead, it would have made for a much, much more interesting show.
    Exactly. That's all they needed to do. They were clearly capable of the conceptual framework for it, since they had the secret organization of people with powers trying to influence the world. All they needed to do was have Peter fuck off and think about how to make the world a better place.

Also, a lesson from Iain M. Banks' latest novel would also have served them well: tell the story of the less powerful people, then at the periphery and for a final action sequence have the much bigger problems that people like Peter deal with show up so you can have some gratuitous power-use for a finale.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This [chat] title reminds me of an old Quake 3 name I used to play under.

I.M.WhoreAble

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Exactly. That's all they needed to do. They were clearly capable of the conceptual framework for it, since they had the secret organization of people with powers trying to influence the world. All they needed to do was have Peter fuck off and think about how to make the world a better place.

Also, a lesson from Iain M. Banks' latest novel would also have served them well: tell the story of the less powerful people, then at the periphery and for a final action sequence have the much bigger problems that people like Peter deal with show up so you can have some gratuitous power-use for a finale.

I weep for the show it could have been.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    First exam in 40. Derp.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The problem with Heroes is the writers are terrible. I mean with good writers it'd have been a way more interesting show.

This is true for so many TV shows, too.

OremLK on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    First exam in 40. Derp.

gurluckaa

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    The problem with Heroes is the writers are terrible. I mean with good writers it'd have been a way more interesting show.

This is true for so many TV shows, too.

If this sandwich weren't bad, it'd be good.

But he qualified his post with legitimate points which I feel would have made it a better show.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    d'aww, my time at google is almost over. Maybe I can do an internship here some time.

Aldo on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    :( My fiancee is off helping with a grand re-opening for the company she works for and it turns out there's brush fires that started about 5 km from where the store is.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    Sup, internet.

swine.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    Sup, internet.