MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    IRC isn't cool anymore. What is though?

Being a dick?

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Plus, who wants to sit around for ten minutes waiting to talk? Feels kinda lame really. So like I said. Back to your regularly scheduled internet. IRC isn't cool anymore. What is though?

Why dont you just get yourself setup then not worry about it anymore?

You arent being asked to do this EVERY TIME YOU JOIN, its just once. If you dont want to then whatever.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    You didn't pass the anti-spam, system, though. Registering is easy; our spammer registers lots of nicks. In quick succession. Hence needing a filtering system.

The way I understand it, you were voiced 10s after the Op was informed. What's the issue?

The issue is that IRC is not as welcoming as it used to be. Coming back and seeing how restrictive everything is just really turned me off to it. I said all along it's just my issue with it. It's not that big of a deal. If a spammer can cause a community to close itself up and then it is on the chat channel moderators backs to filter out the noise then the network is broken. Plus, who wants to sit around for ten minutes waiting to talk? Feels kinda lame really. So like I said. Back to your regularly scheduled internet. IRC isn't cool anymore. What is though?

Yes. It is our fault that IRC technology was created decades ago, and never planned for large-scale proxy-hopping spam dicketry. If we didn't Whitelist, there wouldn't be a channel; the spammer would have driven everyone off by now. In fact, the spammer is probably reading this thread and chuckling.

Still, the alternative is chaos. So, either put up with one-time vetting, or don't. The Chat will go on.

Houn on
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I still don't see why we don't keep the channel unmoderated most of the time until we get spammed. All it would take is a good amount of people (and there are plenty of well known regulars) who have the ability to turn moderation on and off.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    While I believe both sides gave made very valid points, I'm afraid that this pointless escalation of aggression will do more harm than good. I propose a meeting between both parties in a neutral location to be mediated by myself. Together we can work out our differences and tear down this wall.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Once the spammer sees it's unmoderated, we'll have to flip moderation back on, and we're right back to where we were, if only temporarily.

Houn on
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey... Mockturtle has feelings too.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    They range from "hatred" to "loathing", with a splash of "amusement".

Houn on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Let the dead horse RIP already :P

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    While I believe both sides gave made very valid points, I'm afraid that this pointless escalation of aggression will do more harm than good. I propose a meeting between both parties in a neutral location to be mediated by myself. Together we can work out our differences and tear down this wall.

Over a couple beers

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Over a couple beers

That is a great idea and I hope you won't mind if I integrate it into this meeting?

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Over a couple beers

That is a great idea and I hope you won't mind if I integrate it into this meeting?

I approve of your integration of my idea, and wish you well on your peacekeeping ventures. You are an excellent conflict resolution counselor!

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Over a couple beers

I approve of your integration of my idea, and wish you well on your peacekeeping ventures. You are an excellent conflict resolution counselor!

What he hasn't told you is that he's planning a fight-to-the-death scenario for his own amusement.
    :P

ACC3SS on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    ACC3SS wrote: »

Over a couple beers

What he hasn't told you is that he's planning a fight-to-the-death scenario for his own amusement.
    :P

But it's cool, because now there is beer involved.

Houn on
  • Options
    d20dicerollerd20diceroller Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wormdundee wrote: »
    Sorry dude, but you're being a straight up ass. Accusing the mods of 'getting off' on having to be messaged is a pretty outrageous accusation and extremely rude. By the way, registering to nickserv is only 1/2 the spam test for a reason. I'll lay it out for you so maybe you'll understand.

NickServ is specifically only for reserving a nickname for your personal use. It means that noone else can go around pretending to be you. It doesn't stop YOU from being a spammer. The person that we're talking about above is obviously registered with NickServ. But of course before moderation was turned on in the channel he could still join whenever he wanted and spam the channel full of pings and other stupid crap. Being added to the list means that we know you are from PA and are probably ok. If a person added to the list ends up not being OK, they can be removed from the list and will not be able to speak in the channel because they wont have +v (voice).

So, the only reason for the list is from a purely technical standpoint, not from any sense of power. I suggest you stop being an uber dick. Maybe it's because you didn't understand the technical reasons behind it, but a better way to have gone about it would be to ask why the list is necessary instead of spouting off insane accusations.

Well, just to clarify. I wasn't going to say anymore on the subject but being called names has illicited a response. I have been back more than once and both times I had to ask for voice. So it felt kind of weird to keep having to ask. Without naming names a moderator led me to believe that it was for the best if I avoided BigRed since he was all about being in charge. So it was not in fact me just making up wild accusations. These ideas were spawned in my mind from your very own community. Make of it what you will. So thanks for calling me an ass and an uber dick. You might want to police your own mods. They do your community a disservice with first impressions as does your reaction. Have a good day sir.

d20diceroller on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well I do drive a van that says FREE CANDY on the side. It was probably sound advice.

Although I still will add people to the autovoice list (despite what people who dont like me say, im pretty sure I know who you are talking about :P). The only ones ive turned away were our not so friendly troll.

Also you having to ask again is similar to pesantdaves issue. If you haven't used your nick on slashnet in a certain amount of time, its released and you have to re-register it.

BigRed on
  • Options
    synicsynic Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    Can I get voice? I'm new in the channel - nick is synic.

edit. nvm, BigRed took care of it.

synic on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Bumping for the new east coast people.

Also to spite Moe

BigRed on
  • Options
    matlock790matlock790 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey everyone, I'm trying to complete the steps, and I've gotten to the "register your nick" step and I'm typing in the password and email address and I'm getting a "Unknown command register" error. I've tried a few times. I also tried to use the nickserv help but didn't get a whole lot of, well, help from that. Any ideas?

matlock790 on
  • Options
    matlock790matlock790 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey everyone, just got an update, apparently there are some issues with IRC right now. keep trying if you're following the instruction steps it will eventually work.

matlock790 on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited January 2010
    Also, if you keep getting errors, just PM one of the ops and let us know that nickserv is still borked and ask for manual voice. there's 8 of us, so at least one of us should be active enough to help out.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited January 2010
    Nickserv and Chanserv seem to be back in working order again.

Also we have a new toy, I call it frellnik.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Oldmangloom315Oldmangloom315 [ENFORCER] Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you could please register me when you get a spare moment, it would be much appreciated. :winky:

Same as my forum name.

Oldmangloom315 on
  • Options
    FoamBrainFoamBrain Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I would love channel access - my registered username is azorowitz.

Andrew

FoamBrain on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This thread always disappears and returns on the PAX Forums... it's like a NINJA!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If "Delmain" could be added, that'd be swell. =P

Delmain on
  • Options
    rxninjarxninja Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Can I get a voice, please? I PM'd BigRed but I'm not sure he got it. Nick is Jake.

rxninja on
    Team Pikachu - Forum noob
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    rxninja wrote: »
    Can I get a voice, please? I PM'd BigRed but I'm not sure he got it. Nick is Jake.

Sorry, Been away from my computer most of tonight.

You got added.

BigRed on
  • Options
    LocutusLocutus Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Could I get voice please? Same as forum name.

Locutus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Locutus wrote: »

Added :) Just auth with nickserv next time you are on and you will be autovoiced.

BigRed on
  • Options
    ninja_bladeninja_blade Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    hey guys tryin to join the IRC but I'm confused here

So... The Channel will be running with moderation on, anybody else who joins will need to register their nick and PM either me or moe (on IRC) to be added to the channel access list so you get auto-voiced so you can talk in the channel.
    Whenever I am in the channel ill be proactive for a while at PMing new people and walking them through the register process, for now heres some short instructions.

Instructions:

Go to the server window (depends what client you use) and type this:

quote:
    /msg nickserv register password email
    password = what password to register your nick under
    email = your email addy to recieve a confirmation #

it will then ask you to do this:

quote:
    /msg nickserv auth code
    code = the code you got in your email

Then when Every time you reconnect to slashnet you will need to type this

quote:
    /msg nickserv identify password
    password = the password you used to register your nick with

Then you are all set Just be sure to PM me or moe on irc (whichever you see active) to get added to the access list.
    Or you can post in here asking to be added, we will check here too

Now, It says password and email but when I do it says youare not on a channel

ninja_blade on
    karate here. [taps his head] Karate here. [taps his heart] Karate never here. [points to his belt] Understand?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    BigRed wrote: »

Added :) Just auth with nickserv next time you are on and you will be autovoiced.

ummm... could I get voiced too? My name is the same too

ninja_blade on
    karate here. [taps his head] Karate here. [taps his heart] Karate never here. [points to his belt] Understand?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    BigRed wrote: »

ummm... could I get voiced too? My name is the same too

You need to register with nickserv first.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I've been trying for awhile now... I don't get it... I don't know how to register.... I can't get voiced...I'm not bad computers either (I mean I'm not 40) ... I'm on the forums as Ninja_Blade, dunno what to do nxt

ninja_blade on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I've been trying for awhile now... I don't get it... I don't know how to register.... I can't get voiced...I'm not bad computers either (I mean I'm not 40) ... I'm on the forums as Ninja_Blade, dunno what to do nxt

This is pretty self explanatory, what part of it didnt you understand?
    Now we move onto:
    REGISTERING YOUR NICKNAME
    (just doing a copy-pasta of my earlier post)

So... The Channel will be running with moderation on, anybody else who joins will need to register their nick and PM either me or moe (on IRC) to be added to the channel access list so you get auto-voiced so you can talk in the channel.
    Whenever I am in the channel ill be proactive for a while at PMing new people and walking them through the register process, for now heres some short instructions.

Instructions:

Go to the server window (depends what client you use) and type this:
    /msg nickserv register password email

password = what password to register your nick under
    email = your email addy to recieve a confirmation #

it will then ask you to do this:
    /msg nickserv auth code

code = the code you got in your email

Then when Every time you reconnect to slashnet you will need to type this
    /msg nickserv identify password

password = the password you used to register your nick with

Then you are all set :) Just be sure to PM me or moe on irc (whichever you see active) to get added to the access list.
    Or you can post in here asking to be added, we will check here too :)

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    i did it I'm recognized thanks! I just need a voice... I kinda messed up the 1st time tho so i'm ninja_blade5 now...

ninja_blade on
  • Options
    espressomanespressoman Boston, MARegistered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Can I get voice? I'm "esprsoman" on IRC.

espressoman on
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i did it I'm recognized thanks! I just need a voice... I kinda messed up the 1st time tho so i'm ninja_blade5 now...

I think it is 60 days for registered nicks to become unregistered if inactive. Food for thought.

Rdr on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    am registered but still no voice, am Wraith260. thanks in advance for any help. :)

EDIT: am Wraith260 now, damn i should really read what i type first time around.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    am registered but still no voice, am Wraith260. thanks in advance for any help. :)

EDIT: am Wraith260 now, damn i should really read what i type first time around.

Nickserv is telling me this isnt a registered nick. Did you complete the registration process?

BigRed on
This discussion has been closed.