As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heap-o-Poj - New things on page 3

PojPoj Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hello friends.

A buddy of mine has been pushing me to join the AC for quite some time, and registration is open again so I'm finally here. Hooray! I've been following along for a while now, but this is my first post. There are quite a few familiar faces here, I see, so that's awesome already.

Anyway, here's some of my most recent/relevant stuff. I'd love feedback!

Finished stuff:

An episode of my webcomic (turned into link because it's kind of irrelevant now)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/kgreenseth/015-1.jpg

A cheeseburger painting (oils), because I really love cheeseburgers. Kind of low-res, need to take a better photo of it someday.
010.jpg

Notebook stuff:

Some dandelions:
014-1.jpg

More Plants:
008.jpg

Crazy fish from this dream I had one time:
011.jpg

Vaguely phallic plant thing:
012.jpg

Random assorted character art (Spoiler'd because there's a lot of it):

Preview:
005.jpg
My favorite original character duo, Fresia and Ted:
002-1.jpg

Two different incarnations of Fresia:
001-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

Some other characters:
"Denyto" for an art forum:
007.jpg

Some 80s chick:
006.jpg

Self portrait?
004.jpg

Thanks for visiting!

007-sig-1.png
Poj on

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That fish piece is rad.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah your notebook stuff is fantastic! It makes it hard to believe the cartooning stuff is also yours.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thanks guys!

The cartooning stuff is kind of a work in progress. I used to do semi-cartoony pen and ink stuff, and somewhere along the line my work kind of split off in two different directions. I'm still pretty new at the whole digital thing, and my means of progression are a sort of limited right now due to the fact that I don't have a lot of tools to work with. Still, I'm gonna keep truckin.

Poj on
    007-sig-1.png
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wow. The life drawings in the sketchbooks are fucking outstanding. I'm really digging on the quality of the images, and the way the text balances the whole thing out. The only thing I can say is that you should do more of them. Many, many more.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I leik deez

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ask and ye shall receive:

016.jpg
    Most of the notebook drawings were drawn while I was in school, in class. I liked to sit in the back row.

One of my favorites:
    23.jpg

I have oodles of these sitting around, so I can post more later, too. Sadly, one of my notebooks (the one with the peacock fish in it) has gone missing, so I can't post much more from that one.

Poj on
    007-sig-1.png
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm really jealous of your realistic drawings. I wish I could draw like that. Is it mostly practice? Drawing from real life?

NibCrom on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You should be doing illustrations for high school science text books. Those plants/fish ones are freaking sweet!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    You should be doing illustrations for high school science text books.

Oh man, I would love to do this.

As for the real life/practice thing, these are nearly all straight out of my head. There are some architectural references in a few drawings due to the fact that I was probably looking at architectural slides when I doodled them, but I don't usually have any references nearby when I draw in my notebook. The finished pieces are a little different (I did google up some pictures before I started that dandelion drawing up there, for example), but I never copy anything directly from life.

Here's something else, just for fun:
    wind_dragon.jpg

Poj on
    007-sig-1.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    the last one is nice, but looks very flat

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    More fast food oils please

RubberAC on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I was spacing out with my eyes aiming in opposite directions, and then I realized that your biggest weakness is your understanding of how light works on objects is, something that usually helps this is using a egg and drawing down the shadows, a lot, I forget the names. Where am I?!? Who are you? Such pretty art....

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man your hatching is fucking phenomenal.

Mustang on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    yay poj

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Your hamburger oils are fantastic, as is the notebook work, it makes me almost want to get knee deep into some real art. Almost. Well done and keep it up foreverrr...r.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm always happy to hear these sorts of things. Thanks folks!

How do you guys feel about the digital/cartoony stuff? I really appreciate all the feedback on the line drawings, but I'd definitely consider that style "better-developed" than my comic/digital work. My means are a little limited right now only because I'm using mostly free software to make everything, but I would still appreciate any tips or tricks anyone might have.

Here's some more random digital art to refresh your memory. Not one of my favorite ones, but at least it has a setting:

friends.jpg
    (My characters Fresia the crazy sledder and Ted the inventor).

Poj on
    007-sig-1.png
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Loomdun wrote: »
    I was spacing out with my eyes aiming in opposite directions, and then I realized that your biggest weakness is your understanding of how light works on objects is, something that usually helps this is using a egg and drawing down the shadows, a lot, I forget the names. Where am I?!? Who are you? Such pretty art....

I'm.. not really sure where this comes from
    his shading and hatching is one of his strongest points

Your normal work is leaps and bounds above your cartoon work
    like, superman leaps. Or Incredible Hulk leaps
    On an imaginary scale of Rad

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Since most of these were just drawn on the fly, I tend to worry more about just conveying depth than actually trying to make the light source appear accurate. I should try the egg thing, though, since that sounds promising.

I'll have to keep attempting to bump my digital stuff up that imaginary scale of rad.

Here's some more low-res fast food oils, by the way. I really need to get this stuff re-photographed!

cheeseburger1.jpg

Poj on
    007-sig-1.png
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    RubberAC wrote: »

I'm.. not really sure where this comes from
    his shading and hatching is one of his strongest points

Your normal work is leaps and bounds above your cartoon work
    like, superman leaps. Or Incredible Hulk leaps
    On an imaginary scale of Rad

Her/His hatching is very strong, I said nothing about that, the shading is made up, and how its made up and shaded there is only two shadows being applied, highlight and.. I think its called core shadow, theres 4, god my memory with names is terrible or is it 3 + the Cast shadow... I cant even think of the names

edit: no wait.. I think theres 6, reflective light, highlight, core shadow, cast shadow, um, I cant recall the other twoooo0000

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    those pen drawings are fantastic!
    really nice work :)

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I've been thinking a lot about crosshatching ever since you guys mentioned it, and so this is a preview of something I'm working on for another site. I tried to combine the two styles, and this is the first time I feel like I've had any degree of success:

fair_preview.jpg

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, of course.

"She," by the way, not like it matters or anything.

Poj on
    007-sig-1.png
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That's looking much nicer. I especially like the fly. Have you tried drawing people in that style yet?

Food on
  • Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Poj wrote: »
    "She," by the way, not like it matters or anything.
    Professionally? No. But for lonely boys on the internet it's always a thrill :P
    Also, I agree that your penwork is really great. The cartooning stuff seems to lack the attention to structure that the other drawings have though. Like in the horse one,the horse on the left is clearly leaning to our left in a really awkward way. I think if you lay down your forms a little stronger before you get underway cartooning so that the structure is better, your finished stuff will be much improved.
    EDIT: Oh, I just noticed this. Maybe im just a perv, but the engines(?) on your plane look like boobies.

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    JohnTWM wrote: »
    Maybe im just a perv, but the engines(?) on your plane look like boobies.

They do kind of, don't they?

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm working on 6 full pages in this fancy new "style," and so far I'm not liking any quite as well as the sample I posted already. Oh well. I will post some more samples as soon as all of the pages are done.

I am going to be drawing people, but they look about the same as they did before.

Poj on
    007-sig-1.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hokay, I'm recovering from a nasty bout of tonsillitis but I have a little new art to show. Heeeere we go. I am posting first a few pages of a comic I just finished. I know a few people who frequent the AC have probably seen them already, so I'm just going to preview the first page and then link the last two. It's a new style for me, my first (real) attempt to merge crosshatching and comics. I'm a lot happier with the first page than the other two, and I'm not posting them with text because the text on the real version was dreadfully rushed and fever-induced. Anyway, here we go:

fair1copy.png

Page 2:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/kgreenseth/fair2-2.png

Page 3:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/kgreenseth/fair3copy.png

Also, here's a character sheet for a DA tournament I'm going to enter. The character design (image, personality) is pretty closely based on myself (note: girl).
    the_real_poj.jpg

Poj on
    007-sig-1.png
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    A couple of reasons I think your other two pages might be less successful (at least, in the humble opinion of a guy who can't draw nearly as well): it seems like, particularly in the third page, the hatching gets a lot busier, in a way that ceases to contribute to the definition of form, and so becomes kind of gratuitous. Most of the hatching in the other two pages were with black, which works out pretty well, and I think you kind of got carried away, and maybe a bit more careless, employing the color hatching in the third; now, don't get me wrong, I think the color hatching is a great idea (especially with the way it works in the first page)--I just think you have to be a lot more careful with the way color works to create form; there's a lot of pretty advanced color theory stuff, which I see you using to great effect, but which I think can be pushed or polished a bit more.

Overall, though, I really like these, especially the colorfulness of them; I don't know if anything there will be helpful, or isn't coming out of my ass, but hopefully there's a grain of something in it.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    That's very helpful, actually. I've heard some of the same criticism already without any insight into how to actually fix it, so hearing a little more organized argument on it is refreshing. I had a certain rhythm going on the first one that I was unable to recreate on future pages, but hopefully it'll get better with practice. I'm going to try and keep it up because I feel like I might be onto something neat, if I can make it work.

Unrelated: How do folks feel about the technique on character sheet I posted (especially the frontal view)? I haven't done a whole lot of digital painting recently, so I'd love to hear feedback. Pummel me with it, if you have to.

Poj on
    007-sig-1.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I really like your coloring but I think shading in various colors instead of black would be a big improvement. It just makes your linework look kinda smudgy.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    How very squidbunny.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Some new stuff:

lonelycat1_preview_small.png

Separately-shaded character art from that page:
    lonelycat.jpg

Quick character sketch for a comic I'm working on:
    Ramona_001_small.jpg

Nothing else overly noteworthy right now, but I'm sure there will be more soon.

Edited for ridiculous image sizes and cheesiness.

Poj on
    007-sig-1.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The feet on the dino don't seem right. Kinda like they're not planted in place, or supporting any of the weight from the body.

Still though her 'tude totally makes up for these shortcomings.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You're right, the feet are kind of weird. I had this idea of trying to make her claws resemble high heels, and I think I need to play around with the concept a little more before it makes sense on paper.

Poj on
    007-sig-1.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Here's another new concept for the dinosaur comic thing I'm working on. It's all digital, but I was finally FINALLY able to kind of combine my crosshatching with my digital art in a way that sort of works. I think.

Jamal001_small.jpg

In color:
    Jamal002_small.jpg

Poj on
    007-sig-1.png
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Your cross-hatching is awe-inspiring. Your lines are pretty much perfectly places with nice and even stroking. I think I could study your drawings in order to improve my own.

However your comics really look amateur and lacking of any interesting style or quality. I'm sure you can do better do to how well you draw with pencil. Maybe you should try something in a more unique style than flat cartoon characters. The goth girl looks a lot better but still looks incredibly generic and unintersting.

Also the humour in the comic on page 1 is well....crap. Sorry.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Most of the "flat" drawings are old, with the exclusion of the goth girl. The dinosaur I just posted represents the direction I'd like to go with future work, comics and otherwise. I'm glad to hear the cross-hatching is working.

In defense of the 3-panel comic with the bad humor, that strip is pretty personal and a lot of the situations are intended to be more "endearing" than funny. Still, you have a point. I am glad I tried the web comic thing, but coming up with a quick, original joke on a dime was tough. That strip may not last a whole lot longer.

In other news, here's another drawing I just did:

muffiny_scuffins_18_small-2.png

It's one of my first attempts at night lighting. It's a work in progress, but it's super late and I need to get some distance from it before I start again. I don't think the lighting is working.

Poj on
    007-sig-1.png
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think, because of your cross hatching-linear style, you're way too afraid to go dark with your colors. For the most part, cross hatching is good for black and white stuff, but when translated to color, falls short.

The reason? It's the same as shading to black, as opposed to using vibrant dark colors like deep navy blues and violets, and then they hinder your ability to successfully add backlighting and really determine the value of different parts of the character. In color, the darkest dark of a lighter object may not even be anywhere near the lightest light of a near-black one. But when everything goes to black, it all kind of evens out.

Now, believe me, I love linear stuff. I don't cross hatch the same way (I tend more to use directional lines to define form), but I have my share of linear pieces. And yours look good as lineart. But it just doesn't work in grayscale or color because the space in between the lines defines the value, so it's combining two elements doing the same job.

So, my advice to you, since you're working digitally, would be to work the cross hatching in on a seperate layer, and leave it for the B&W. But then when you go to color it, just turn that layer off.

Other notes would be that you might want to actually study anatomy. Hands and the like. You've got a good grasp of foreshortening and even composition, but it doesn't do anything if your poses look wrong.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for the advice, I think I may turn down my ink layer really low (if not completely off) on future drawings in which I plan to use color. Since I am going to want my dinosaur comic to be just black and white, I shouldn't run into the color/crosshatch problem much at all. I think you're right about anatomy, too. Improving in that regard is kind of an ongoing goal of mine.

Here's some more dinosaurs:
    RoryandByte001_small.jpg

Poj on
    007-sig-1.png
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    You can hatch with color too. Its alot like working with pastels, you just have to be willing to paint over your black hatches.

Iruka on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited July 2009

Ugh!

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Ugh!

I rofl'd.

On a more relevant note; Iruka's right. I didn't even think of that. And it would be a lot like pastels.
    I love pastels

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you