Options

Windows 7: Releasing on 10/22/09 - RC is Free to Download

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey now, it took them 8 years to make another OS worth a shit... we need to give them at least 15 years to make a website that is actually useable.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd like to see you make a dynamic website that can handle tens of thousands of page views per minute.

xzzy on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    I'd like to see you make a dynamic website that can handle tens of thousands of page views per minute.

Give me the resources and money Microsoft has at its disposal and I undoubtedly can.

I could also fix their horrible billing system.

But I wouldn't, of course, because their billing system(s) is/are designed specifically to snooker customers out of money for their myriad, crappy subscription services. So if I was working for them, I'd probably leave it alone.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Drez wrote: »

Give me the resources and money Microsoft has at its disposal and I undoubtedly can.

I could also fix their horrible billing system.

But I wouldn't, of course, because their billing system(s) is/are designed specifically to snooker customers out of money for their myriad, crappy subscription services. So if I was working for them, I'd probably leave it alone.

Now you're thinking like a smart dude.

Obs on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Apparently, the system must have changed, because I didn't have any problems getting my beta key a month or two back.

Either that, or people are getting stupider. Or I was smarter. Both are awesome.

I'm thinking about getting another HDD for my HP Pavillion and starting on Windows 7 on it. Looks like HP's drivers ought to do the trick.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

That's the point. If they can't do it.. it probably means it's not possible with what technology can produce today.

At any rate.. does anyone know of way to change my default audio device without opening up the control panel? I use a set of 5.1 headphones while gaming, which uses a fiber optic output, and have a set of stereo speaks for when I'm doing all my other stuff.

I'd like to be able to click the speaker icon in the tray and swap devices there, but no manner of right clicking or double clicking will let me do this.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Apparently, the system must have changed, because I didn't have any problems getting my beta key a month or two back.
    It's been going up and down ever since it started becoming public knowledge that the RC was due on the 5th.

It took me almost a day to get my key a few days ago.. site kept timing out.

xzzy on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

That's the point. If they can't do it.. it probably means it's not possible with what technology can produce today.

At any rate.. does anyone know of way to change my default audio device without opening up the control panel? I use a set of 5.1 headphones while gaming, which uses a fiber optic output, and have a set of stereo speaks for when I'm doing all my other stuff.

I'd like to be able to click the speaker icon in the tray and swap devices there, but no manner of right clicking or double clicking will let me do this.

I'm on build 7048, but when I right click the sound icon in the tray I have playback devices as an option.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    I'm on build 7048, but when I right click the sound icon in the tray I have playback devices as an option.
    That brings up the control panel, what would be ideal is an entry in the menu to select the device to use.

Though I suppose I'm a minority user to be changing audio outputs a lot.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

hah, how narrow of you, also, usability differs greatly from stability.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I've never had any serious problems with the usability portion of Microsoft's website. They actually seem to go a lot farther than they have to to make sure everything works.. considering their penchant towards locking you into using their tools.

Take a look at Intel's site by comparison.. you constantly get this annoying as fuck pop-up that asks if you want to take their usability survey.

xzzy on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    unpurposed wrote: »
    CL4usVALCA wrote: »
    unpurposed wrote: »
    I have a problem.

I installed VLC last night on the RC and set all the defaults within the program. However, none of the defaults took hold and so everything still defaults back to WMP. Tried changing this within the Default Program dialog but VLC doesn't show up. The shell extension that adds 'Play in VLC Media player' is also not there. Any suggestions?

Are you using UAC? If so, when the installer asked you to start VLC when it was finished, did you? If you did the settings would've been changed using your elevated user token instead of your standard user token. When you subsequently start VLC as your regular user level the settings will be the default and you will need to set them again. That's what sounds like happened. If you closed the installer and fired up VLC separately then there may be another issue.

Crap, sorry. This sounds like a different issue.

I uninstalled it and reinstalled and something changed and now it works. Huh.
    You're not the only one with this problem - I couldn't get permissions working in normal VLC, an elevated VLC or a reinstalled VLC. Looks like this dude had the same problem, too. However, if I'd set the permissions through an elevated VLC and then gone through and manually set the Open Withs, then all the file icons/descriptions changed to VLC icons/descriptions.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    No, you're not. I switch between line in from a vAmp to my headset microphone for recording devices, and my speakers and headphones.

Seriously, if you have the volume controller on the task bar, you right click it, and those options bring you to the sound controls. Right click on an item, set as default device for output, set as default communication device for input.

Just leave that window open. That's pretty much the best you can do without writing some scripts.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Any recommendations for a BLU-RAY and HD-DVD media player for Windows 7? So far the only one that works with both is Total Media Theatre 3. PowerDVD9 works only with BLU-RAY. Both cost wayyyyyy too much money.

solsovly on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

It's very possible. What it absolutely means is that they have not spent the necessary resources to properly develop an easily navigable, logical website they way they should have. This is Microsoft for fuck's sake. It amazes me that they still have the very worst web browser.

Their various websites are very badly designed. No matter what I happen to be looking for - a hotfix, a download link for Visual Studio Express, where to look up billing information for MSN Direct Plus, how to properly sign on to Live and get a beta key, etc., etc., etc. - all of which are different sections on the Microsoft server, all look different (no standardization whatsoever among their services, or even within the confines of just support services), I spend more time at any of these sites looking for the information or link I need than on any other site that presents the user with a similar experience.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm not sure if this is Windows 7 but I never had this problem with XP.

Recently I've been having trouble with a few programs (most noticeably Google Chrome and Firefox) using a lot of CPU whenever I'm loading a webpage. If any sound is playing at the time, like music or a notification from an IM client, the sound becomes distorted and choppy.

It makes listening to music and browsing the Internet impossible. I'll probably reinstall 7, wiping the drive and upgrading to the Release Candidate, but it's really annoying and I don't know what's causing it.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Got a question for you guys regarding automatic driver installation. Every time my mum plugs in her mouse (one of those tiny generic USB ones), a notification appears that the device driver is being installed. She's using build 7057, and so am I. I've got a full-size generic USB mouse and I don't have the same troubles. On Vista, she didn't have this trouble.

Anyone else have this problem or know why this is going on? Thanks.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I installed build 7000 over the weekend so apparently I've got another OS install to do tomorrow. I have noticed some stability problems though that make me worry. For instance I installed firefox and the whole desktop froze for a good minute when the installation finished. Sometimes if I'm doing a couple things at once like installing an app and browsing the web and browsing some folders on my hard drive, Windows Explorer will freeze for a few seconds. Does anyone else get this? Could the be coming from a hardware problem?

Smurph on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My suggestion would be to kill the paging file for a bit to see if that staves off some of the problem. It sounds like there might be some problems with that harddrive. Any weird sounds coming from it? I don't mean to treat you incompetently, but I'd just keep an ear out for any odd sounds.

I'd only suggest killing your paging file if you've got over 1-2gb of ram, otherwise it'll be somewhat pointless since the system will run differently anyway.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Got a question for you guys regarding automatic driver installation. Every time my mum plugs in her mouse (one of those tiny generic USB ones), a notification appears that the device driver is being installed. She's using build 7057, and so am I. I've got a full-size generic USB mouse and I don't have the same troubles. On Vista, she didn't have this trouble.

Anyone else have this problem or know why this is going on? Thanks.

I get this too. I don't think it's literally installing the driver every time. I think it does the first time, and every time thereafter it just shoes you the icon to let you know it's working... in case your sound is muted, I guess.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Does anybody know how to disable/rebind multimedia keys? While I'm glad 7 does that kinda thing with such ease now, I don't know why my keyboard has a 'sleep' button on it. I'm afraid to discover that it works. Especially when I'm gaming. D:

Zetx on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sharpkeys can probably remap multimedia keys. I use it to remap some things on my Macbook keyboard and turn caps lock into a ctrl key. I don't see why it wouldn't work with multimedia keys, too.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've been resisting the urge to just torrent this and I am looking forward to tomorrow's release. I am only afraid the server is going to get destroyed. But perhaps with lots of people torrenting it, it won't be too bad. I got the beta on day 1, and I can use my work connection to download it since it's straight from microsoft. :D

I've already got my drive partitioned and ready for it.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    TheFid2TheFid2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What's the downside to torrenting it? You're using a legitimate key, it's just a different, faster, more reliable way of downloading the software that lessens the load on microsoft's servers

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »

Recently I've been having trouble with a few programs (most noticeably Google Chrome and Firefox) using a lot of CPU whenever I'm loading a webpage. If any sound is playing at the time, like music or a notification from an IM client, the sound becomes distorted and choppy.

It makes listening to music and browsing the Internet impossible. I'll probably reinstall 7, wiping the drive and upgrading to the Release Candidate, but it's really annoying and I don't know what's causing it.
    The quick fix is to make sure your music program has higher CPU priority then your browser.
    Windows Task Manager -> Processes -> Right click Winamp/Foobar/whatever -> Set Priority -> High.
    Upgrading is probably more painless then finding the cause so I would not spend any time on it.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »

The quick fix is to make sure your music program has higher CPU priority then your browser.
    Windows Task Manager -> Processes -> Right click Winamp/Foobar/whatever -> Set Priority -> High.
    Upgrading is probably more painless then finding the cause so I would not spend any time on it.

Yeah, as soon as the problem began I tried setting CPU priority higher in Foobar2000, to no effect. I also tried setting CPU affinity for each program except that's difficult with Google Chrome due to all of the processes running at the time. None of those things worked.

I just restarted my computer, however, and the problem no longer manifests. Extremely odd. I would have liked to know the cause of the problem, but I won't complain.

Thanks.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sweet. I am going to upgrade to RC as soon as Comcast gets my cable working. Whee.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My suggestion would be to kill the paging file for a bit to see if that staves off some of the problem. It sounds like there might be some problems with that harddrive. Any weird sounds coming from it? I don't mean to treat you incompetently, but I'd just keep an ear out for any odd sounds.

I'd only suggest killing your paging file if you've got over 1-2gb of ram, otherwise it'll be somewhat pointless since the system will run differently anyway.

Yeah I've got 6gb, so I will look in to disabling the paging file. HDD problems were what I was afraid of.

Smurph on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    TheFid2 wrote: »
    What's the downside to torrenting it? You're using a legitimate key, it's just a different, faster, more reliable way of downloading the software that lessens the load on microsoft's servers

1: I'm lazy and don't feel like finding the right torrent for the 64bit and then MD5 checking it to make sure it's not modified
    2: I'm on Comcast and I can never seem to get a good connection going so my work connection is probably faster

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wow what the hell...

So I left PC on and went in other room to watch TV. A little more than an hour later, I came back and the PC was powering itself off and on... Lights and drives spin for 2 seconds, then off, then all on for 2 seconds, then off...

I unplugged for a while and plugged back in, it took 5 minutes to apparently "wake itself up" out of a sleep mode.

Anyone else see this happening before?

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I have mine set to shut off after a while, but I never caught it in a power cycling loop.

Not real impressed with the hibernate.. it takes almost as long to wake up from it as it does to boot clean. I guess it saves me the effort of starting up all my applications, but it would be nice for it to be a bit snappier.

xzzy on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    solsovly wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a BLU-RAY and HD-DVD media player for Windows 7? So far the only one that works with both is Total Media Theatre 3. PowerDVD9 works only with BLU-RAY. Both cost wayyyyyy too much money.

I use HP DVD Play on Vista. It came with my HP Media PC. I believe you can get it for free online.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have mine set to shut off after a while, but I never caught it in a power cycling loop.

Not real impressed with the hibernate.. it takes almost as long to wake up from it as it does to boot clean. I guess it saves me the effort of starting up all my applications, but it would be nice for it to be a bit snappier.

This depends alot on the hardware. My mom's HP laptop takes forever, just about as long as it takes to boot up. But my wifes Asus and my work's HP (business line) laptops are snappy as fuck.

Edit, this is all with Vista. I have loaded 7 on work laptop and its hibernate/sleep are the same as in vista.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm running 7068 and when mines hibernates I just hit enter and it immediately comes back to life. Just put in the password.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Shogun wrote: »
    I'm running 7068 and when mines hibernates I just hit enter and it immediately comes back to life. Just put in the password.

That doesn't seem the same.. because my system completely shuts off. As in I have to use the power button to bring it to life, and when I power it on, the BIOS does POST. Windows screen appears, then I get a message it's restoring my session.

xzzy on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Shogun wrote: »
    That's not hibernate (also known as S4), that's sleep (or S3). Hibernate writes your RAM to disk and turns the computer completely off, while sleep keeps RAM alive and enters a low power state.
    Hibernate takes at minimum the time BIOS needs to start the OS and the time the HD needs to read the RAM of disk.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Good news! I found the hardware virtualization in my BIOS and I have now turned it on! I can enjoy the XP virtual goodness once I install Win7!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So if I'm running build 7000, am I gonna get an email about the RC in a few hours, or what?

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Did anyone else with a GeForce 260 get a reccomended/important Driver update? I updated it and it started screwing stuff up, so I rolled back and now my game performance is choppy... and it wasn't before. -_-

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've never gotten a RC before. Will I actually be able to get it tomorrow or are the servers likely to melt?

The email from Microsoft was almost comical in emphasizing the download is available until the end of June:
    "So you don’t need rush to make sure you get your copy. When you’re ready to download the RC, it’ll be waiting for you."

grrarg on