Options

Windows 7: Releasing on 10/22/09 - RC is Free to Download

• Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I didn't have to install a single driver with the RC.. not even video drivers.

I imagine this will change as time goes on and the OS ages, but for now, the drivers it ships with are sufficiently up to date.

xzzy on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ?

I couldn't install the 64-bit version at all, and I now have the 32 bit version running - I have to install just about all drivers I think, but I'll have a quick play see how many are "pre-loaded" as it were.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If I do the simple upgrade path from Vista64 to Win7-64 I don't lose anything do I? It's just an upgrade and everything that I currently have installed stays installed right?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I had to install my video drivers. nVidia NVS 160 Otherwise, no complaints from me.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have some questions!

I'm going to get a new drive soon and install 7100 and keep my old drive as a media/stuff drive.

My question is what happens with my steam games? Will I have to reinstall them or can I rescue them somehow or what?

Blake T on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Unless something changed recently, as stated a page or two ago, Steam will run w/out registry entries. So basically just leave the folder like it is and make a desktop icon for steam.exe. Should be good to go.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I just installed the RC7, and I tried to install battlefield heroes, but when I choose an install directory, it says I dont have the right to install to my own hard drive. my account is an administrator, so...... its in the name of security I cant install to my hard drive as admin? what the fuck.

Edit: Yes windows, instead install a full program onto the desktop, that is a viable solution. thanks.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Did a fresh install to RC1 today. Thank god I no longer have to ever use Vista again. However, PC-cillin is refusing to install. What's the best free alternative? The only one I know of is AVG.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I just installed the RC7, and I tried to install battlefield heroes, but when I choose an install directory, it says I dont have the right to install to my own hard drive. my account is an administrator, so...... its in the name of security I cant install to my hard drive as admin? what the fuck.

First of all, where are you trying to install it? Second of all, did you try right clicking on the game's setup.exe and selecting "Run as administrator"?

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I LOVE WINDOWS 7!

How do I activate or use the Virtual XP mode? I changed the "compatibility" settings but it still looks like the programs are running in Win7, and I believe from the screenshots that the windows look like XP style instead to indicate they are running virtually.

EDIT: Found it and downloading it now. Though I hear it's more of a headache than it seems.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Microsoft hasn't released the virtual XP thing yet. It's really just XP running in Virtual PC 2007 so you could do it yourself if you want (assuming you have an XP license...).

I'm sure the MS-provided Virtual XP has leaked somewhere, but until it gets an official release we probably shouldn't discuss that...

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It's actually be released, as of today. Go to the Virtual PC page on Microsoft's site to download it.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    RBach wrote: »
    Microsoft hasn't released the virtual XP thing yet. It's really just XP running in Virtual PC 2007 so you could do it yourself if you want (assuming you have an XP license...).

I'm sure the MS-provided Virtual XP has leaked somewhere, but until it gets an official release we probably shouldn't discuss that...
    I would guess that you need the official version to get it to integrate into Win7.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

First of all, where are you trying to install it? Second of all, did you try right clicking on the game's setup.exe and selecting "Run as administrator"?

I am trying to install to the default directory, which is under program files/EA GAMES/bfheroes. There is no EXE to run, because its all executed through the website through a firefox plugin. even if I found a manual way to run the program, it would probably bitch about trying to run it inappropriately.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Has everyone already discussed that it seems like the preview windows are much snappier now? I remember for the beta editing the registry to get them to pop up faster, but with the RC it seems like they are already set low enough that I don't think I need to edit it. It may be just a tad slower than I had it before, but I can't remember.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If anyone is still angry with Windows 7 annoying you with constant reboots, I have a solution. When March 1st rolls around, shut down your computer and pretend like the OS has just deactivated. Problem solved, no more annoying reboots!

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Has everyone already discussed that it seems like the preview windows are much snappier now? I remember for the beta editing the registry to get them to pop up faster, but with the RC it seems like they are already set low enough that I don't think I need to edit it. It may be just a tad slower than I had it before, but I can't remember.

They lowered it in one of the post-7000 builds, I presume in response to the feedback they got on the issue, as the registry edit to speed up the peek previews was popular.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wow, Windows 7 is a phenomenal improvement.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm honestly teetering on the cusp so hardcore right now.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm honestly teetering on the cusp so hardcore right now.

I am quite cusping myself.

I just need a spare hdd to back up to and I think I would be on my way.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I am trying to install to the default directory, which is under program files/EA GAMES/bfheroes. There is no EXE to run, because its all executed through the website through a firefox plugin. even if I found a manual way to run the program, it would probably bitch about trying to run it inappropriately.

OK, then...Right click on a Firefox shortcut and run it as an administrator. Once the game (hopefully) installs close Firefox and hope for the best. Alternatively, turn off UAC to install it and then turn UAC back on once you're done and have verified the game will actually run.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If I'm upgrading from XP 32 bit to windows7 64 bit, what do I need to keep in mind?

Can I upgrade right over the xp install without deleting files? Or am I better off reformatting? I'm running a DIY machine I built about a month and a half ago.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If I'm upgrading from XP 32 bit to windows7 64 bit, what do I need to keep in mind?

Can I upgrade right over the xp install without deleting files? Or am I better off reformatting? I'm running a DIY machine I built about a month and a half ago.

I would say better off reformatting for sure. 64 bit has more driver issues than 32 but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. I'd take a close look at your wifi adapter if you have one as I know Netgear are a bunch of silly bitches and refuse to make drivers for 64 bit OS's so I had to work around them and get drivers from the companies that supply them.

Smurph on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    You can't do an upgrade install at all--this is true for any 32 bit->64 bit transition (say, xp32 to xp64, xp32 to vista64, vista32 to vista64, etc). You'll have to do a clean install.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Okay I've only been using Win7 for about two days now but.... I don't get it. I don't get why I should spend more money for this OS other than if I ever stick two more gigs of ram in my comp. Don't get me wrong it's a fine OS but... I just don't get...."it".

EDIT: Also, as far as the upgrading is concerned.. just don't I guess. I run a 32bit XP install on one partition and a 64bit Win7 install on another. Best of both worlds.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It's a good thing no one is forcing you to upgrade, then, isn't it? :)

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    To be honest I'm not even sure how to make a partition. Can I make one on my computer now, or does it need to be done during the formatting process?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    To be honest I'm not even sure how to make a partition. Can I make one on my computer now, or does it need to be done during the formatting process?

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/index.php

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/index.php

Nice, thanks!

Dissociater on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i gparted and installed this myself last night.

I was fine with vista, and have used it for years. Even converted a few to it.

7 blows it a way. Just snappier overall. I need to dig depper today when I have time.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's a good thing no one is forcing you to upgrade, then, isn't it? :)

Yet, we'll have to see what happens with future DirectX releases. :P

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    LittleBoots, what are you running now, Vista?

And if this is your laptop, you currently only have 2GB RAM?

I can understand if you are currently running Vista and only have 2GB of RAM that you wouldn't necessary see the benefits to Win7. There are many things that a lot of people probably don't care about. I think what a lot of us enjoy are just the usability enhancements that have come along with the UI changes. Instead of having to run RocketDock, we can now pin icons to the taskbar and even peek them by rolling over them. The Taskbar alone has been changed a lot so it's nowhere near as clumsy and more advanced than a simple icon dock.

Window management and resizing has been changed a lot too, where you can easily size windows to half your screen or full screen or return them to whatever size they were with simple mouse movements. That's invaluable to many people who need it.

And those are just the first things that people generally come across. I can understand though, if you don't care for those things, where you wouldn't get it initially. And frankly, unless you find something you want or buy a new computer with it preloaded, you won't need Windows 7. It's still very similar at the core to Vista, so any updates for DirectX and such are going to be supported for a while. If you don't want to spend money on it, just keep using what you have until you buy a new computer. No problem, not everyone is going to go nuts on a new OS release. :)

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    polikupoliku Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm not very familiar with virtualization, but can you get sounds to play through it? Say, an mp3 player?

I have an old sound card (Turtle Beach Santa Cruz) that the manufacture doesn't support anymore, and the hissing from the motherboard drives me nuts if I have headphones.

poliku on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Is this a USB sound card? If not, you're out of luck. Generally, a virtualized system does not get access to the underlying hardware. There are exceptions, but not for sound cards.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Okay I've only been using Win7 for about two days now but.... I don't get it. I don't get why I should spend more money for this OS other than if I ever stick two more gigs of ram in my comp. Don't get me wrong it's a fine OS but... I just don't get...."it".

EDIT: Also, as far as the upgrading is concerned.. just don't I guess. I run a 32bit XP install on one partition and a 64bit Win7 install on another. Best of both worlds.

Ed Bott has a pretty good rundown of what's new in Windows 7. Read the article and see if anything strikes your fancy. I suppose it's possible that someone could just not want any of the improvements in Win 7 over XP, but it seems pretty far-fetched to me.

Another thing to keep in mind since you are skipping Vista, is that the start menu search is your friend. Need to open a program? Start key + type the first few letters + enter. Same for control panel items, files, etc. There's also search built in basically everywhere. So if you go to uninstall a program (via Programs and Features or Uninstall a Program) you can just type a bit of the program name and instantly filter down to it.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'll be replacing my 32-bit copy of Vista with 64-bit copy of the RC tomorrow or the day after. Is there any way to get rid of that horrible new taskbar and bring it back to the Vista/XP one? Without having to select the old classic taskbar, of course.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I know for certain there's a way to enable Quick Launch, and to get the old taskbar back, right click on the taskbar, properties, set Taskbar Buttons to 'never combine' and tick 'small icons'.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    polikupoliku Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That answers my question, thanks. It's a regular PCI sound card. I plan on installing the RC soon and was curious when I read about the virtualization.

poliku on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Rohan wrote: »
    I'll be replacing my 32-bit copy of Vista with 64-bit copy of the RC tomorrow or the day after. Is there any way to get rid of that horrible new taskbar and bring it back to the Vista/XP one? Without having to select the old classic taskbar, of course.

I will never understand why people don't like the new taskbar..

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I know for certain there's a way to enable Quick Launch, and to get the old taskbar back, right click on the taskbar, properties, set Taskbar Buttons to 'never combine' and tick 'small icons'.

Thanks muchly ^^

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten